Old consoles on a new TV?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Vexorg

Old consoles on a new TV?

Post by Vexorg »

About a week ago, I bought a new ViewSonic N3250w 32" LCD HDTV, and I'm still in the process of getting things set up for it. It works great for my Xbox360, but my Genesis... Not so much. Games which have bright colors look OK, but ones with darker colors look very washed out. I think the main problem here is the composite video (not much I can do about that one though) but what can I do to improve video quality when I'm using older consoles on an HD set?

Edit: I do have the image displaying in 4:3 aspect ratio, so stretching isn't a problem.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
SAM

Post by SAM »

There is a device which could convert RGB into composit vedio. :o

You could built that yourself too. I have seen circult diagram this device circulate around the web. :)

Don't have the link right now. *Sorry* :oops:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
elvis

Post by elvis »

RGB won't work. From the specs:
http://www.viewsonic.com/support/tvente ... .htm#specs

The TV will only take 30KHz or more from RGB input. A MegaDrive/Genesis will only spit out 15KHz RGB maximum. You will need an upscan converter to get this console to work on your TV via RGB.

I would suggest finding/making an S-Video cable instead. That will be your best bet at getting the highest quality output from your console that is compatible with your TV.
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

Keep in mind that some HDTVs have a quarter-second or so video delay with consoles that don't output in progressive-scan mode. The problem comes from the TV having to upscale interlaced images (non-progressive-scan game consoles) to work with the TVs. (Arstechnica article briefly describing it)

For example, on my friend's Samsung HDTV I couldn't get past the first stage in Gradius 5 and I kept missing stuff in Katamari. Setting the screen to 4:3 mode didn't help.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Oh, you are right. I forgot about the internal upscan in HDTV. :?

HDTV definately are not for old console not capable for outputing in HI-Res. :(

Best way to hook up a GEN is to connect to a RGB monitor. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

I recently bought samurai shodown 5 for xbox, and played it on a 50 inch HDTV via 480p - man, did it look like ass...

But other games like PDO, etc. look great. I just don't think old games from old systems look that great on HDTVs - for these, I would buy a cheapo regular tv any day
elvis

Post by elvis »

SAM wrote:Best way to hook up a GEN is to connect to a RGB monitor. :o
Amen to that.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Yeah, for sure. An old Amiga monitor should set you back $50 including shipping. I tried a few Saturn games on my brother's HDTV and they were literally to the point of unplayability - moving objects would warp the areas surrounding them. 15khz RGB on the other hand gives stunning quality for lowres games and it's totally worth the investment.