Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BurlyHeart

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by BurlyHeart »

BrianC wrote:
Leviathan wrote: I also bought Metal Slug Anthology on the PS4 but something seems....off about it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but after some googling I discovered this port is affected by lag. A real shame.
This is why I went for the ACA NeoGeo version of Metal Slug instead. It's just the original Metal Slug, but the emulation is much better.
I bought it in a sale before I even had a PS4. I'm so bummed out about it. Tried to play it again today, but the third stage is a mess with all the jumping.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Gave 8 Eye's another chance.... that was the last one. The combat is ridiculous, unintuitive and unresponsive. Most enemies will hit you at least once almost no matter how you try to fight them, and most require too many hits to kill to be any fun. Those guys with the long kicks are the best example - I have absolutely NO idea what's the proper way to fight them, so I'm better off just taking one hit and run away, than I would be trying to fight them and take at least two hits in the process..
And stuff like enemies that automatically hit you the moment you enter a room is just absolutely unforgivable. And the game has a lot of that.

I have a lot of patience for rough games with interesting merits, but this one wore me out pretty damn quick...
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I'm not going to really try to defend 8 Eyes (it falls into that "It sucks, but I beat it as a kid because I played every game I owned" category), but I will say that the key to playing the game properly without taking millions of hits constantly is to rely on the bird.

The kick guys you're talking about are a perfect example -- the right way to fight them is to not even try to use the sword on them (they can't be hurt by it), instead just standing in some safe spot and killing them with the bird.

Also, be sure you're finding all of the hidden jars. If you're in a situation where you can't rely on the bird, you usually need to rely on subweapons (the sword REALLY sucks), and if you're not finding the jars, that's going to be a problem.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hey BIL, the guys from the Pixelated Audio VGM podcast just released a show about Dragon Fighter's OST. No composer interview, unfortunately, but still an interesting listen.
http://pixelatedaudio.com/dragonfighter-nes/
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Obscura wrote:I'm not going to really try to defend 8 Eyes (it falls into that "It sucks, but I beat it as a kid because I played every game I owned" category), but I will say that the key to playing the game properly without taking millions of hits constantly is to rely on the bird.

The kick guys you're talking about are a perfect example -- the right way to fight them is to not even try to use the sword on them (they can't be hurt by it), instead just standing in some safe spot and killing them with the bird.

Also, be sure you're finding all of the hidden jars. If you're in a situation where you can't rely on the bird, you usually need to rely on subweapons (the sword REALLY sucks), and if you're not finding the jars, that's going to be a problem.
Biggest problem with using the bird - which also goes when looking for jars, since most will be out of reach from your normal sword - is that it's slow, tedious and sooo boring. You have to launch it in the right height and then wait for it to slowly go back and forth until it reaches the point where you need to. There's no gameplay in that, it's just annoying.
Well I guess I don't have to tell you that, 8 Eye's isn't exactly a popular game. I just really wish it would have some hidden qualities aside from tea time.

It might be interesting to play the game in 2-player mode for better bird control. Maybe it was really designed with that in mind?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Is being able to stunlock enemies to death in SoR2 with jabs normal?
Some strategies seem oddly elaborate when stunlocking can do the trick on anything that isn't a boss. I'm mostly playing Axel, and most of the boss fights seem to come down to grand uppering the boss and repositioning yourself so you can grand upper the boss again the moment he gets up and counterattacks.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

actually, I find that grand uppering bosses is easier said than done. So I don't have a problem with boss combat coming down to that (granted I'm not a great beat 'em up player though)

Most bosses alternate their move pretty well I think, like the Boxer (Bear something), who will grab you and punish, unless you vary your moves and fake; and baiting him on a lower plane will result in him jumping from is position, straight to your skull. he also grabs you if you get close to him and aren't blazing fast in inputting your upper
the running guy with claws in the amusement park, I find is hard to gran upper since he comes in so fast with his slide and blanka-spin (the blanka-spin, you can counter though. but the window to do so is super small. like a couple of frames at best).
and the wrestler, whom you can't do more than 2 consecutive hits to before he thows you, and he comesin real fast when charging and repositions himself pretty well too

just my 2 cents
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

soprano1 wrote:Hey BIL, the guys from the Pixelated Audio VGM podcast just released a show about Dragon Fighter's OST. No composer interview, unfortunately, but still an interesting listen.
http://pixelatedaudio.com/dragonfighter-nes/
Good timing, thanks! :smile:

Besides giving a fine OST some deserved exposure, I like that they discussed the game itself in reasonable depth too. The guy who pondered it being better to ration out the Dragon in quick bursts, rather than expending the whole meter in one go - that is definitely how to do things. In particular, you never want to let the Dragon meter go below the minimum transform threshold (roughly half-full). That can really leave you in the doldrums - the obvious exception is when you're going for the kill on a boss (meter resets between stages). The last traditional stage (st5) in particular has a series of chokepoints from midway in, clearly intended to be obliterated with bursts of Dragonfire. Get the big guns out, do the damage, then get back to the meter-building sword kills.

I really like this sort of charge/blast groove, particularly with DF's constituent parts - gutsy swordsmanship and unbridled airborne death - being so cathartically done. As noted previously, transforming costs nothing and can execute with the tiniest hop, so there's little limit on aggression provided you're bringing in those scalps with the sword.

Been experimenting with the three weapon choices, having gotten comfy clearing Hard with Green/Vulcan. Still haven't found much use for the Red/Bomber and Blue/Homing weapons. I suspect Red's charge shot could be nicely abused with its long-lived trio of bouncing, piercing projectiles, if you could trap the target properly. OTOH, they're very weak compared to Green's single deadly shot, and the similarly flurry-reliant bomb seems awkward (especially with the game's toughest enemies being airborne, and unlikely to take its full brunt). Homing just seems too weak to be viable in either mode, at least for the sort of aggressive action I like.

I suspect Green is dominant, but that's not the worst outcome - the Toaplanesque spread allows for some nice technique at both distance and pointblank, and its simple, deadly charge shot works great in a sidearm role. Takes a while to charge, but does brutal damage (x5 sword - only st5's skulls and turrets can survive, and they'll die with one more slash), and can launch without breaking stride (great for crippling a hardcase / thinning the pack as you close in). You naturally won't want to shoot too many foes (no meter!), so the considerable charge delay is largely offset. I like to keep held out of habit so it's ready at short notice.

Lovely game, this. Instantly accessible slasher with longterm finesse, and a seamlessly-incorporated HENSHIN dynamic for added tactical value. Had an instant hunch it was worthy of sharing a stage with Kage and Solbrain, but I'm still pleasantly surprised at just how strong a member of the compact action man triptych it turned out to be.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Anyone know how Metal Slug 3 on PS4 is? It's on sale now for $4.49.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BIL

Post by BIL »

The only MS3 port I have extensive experience with is the NTSCJ PS2 one (stand-alone 2003 release - not the much later and reportedly lag-afflicted compilation). In case it's of any help - it's interlaced, unfortunately, but near-perfect otherwise. Plays dead-on accurate to the AES cart, lack of slowdown aside. Got at least one budget reprint too.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

At least the PSN store release looks like it's unique to PSN, and NOT an emulated version of the PS2 release, unlike Metal Slug Anthology, which adds additional input lag to an already laggy release.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:The only MS3 port I have extensive experience with is the NTSCJ PS2 one (stand-alone 2003 release - not the much later and reportedly lag-afflicted compilation). In case it's of any help - it's interlaced, unfortunately, but near-perfect otherwise. Plays dead-on accurate to the AES cart, lack of slowdown aside. Got at least one budget reprint too.
awesome. I have a setup that transforms PS2 480i titles in 240p, so that standalone jap MS3 port is on my list now
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm gonna dive into Faxanadu next. I remember the talk in here mentioning a few things that you pretty much have to know beforehand to have fun with the game. Some things about an item that you don't want to pick up, and limiting how you level or whatever. Can anyone give a decent recap? It's difficult to try to dig that information out of the thread without knowing what to look for.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Sumez wrote:I'm gonna dive into Faxanadu next. I remember the talk in here mentioning a few things that you pretty much have to know beforehand to have fun with the game. Some things about an item that you don't want to pick up, and limiting how you level or whatever. Can anyone give a decent recap? It's difficult to try to dig that information out of the thread without knowing what to look for.
The item you want to avoid is the Pendant. Unfortunately, it's been years since I've played it, so I don't remember where it is.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mah Big Faxanadu Adventure

TBH, unless you're playing with a walkthrough, a first-timer is going to encounter at least a little annoyance. Keys (only work once) and wing boots (expensive to buy, required to reach a couple locations, and strictly time-limited) are the likely friction points. The former you learn to work around by stocking up in advance, and not entering dungeons until you're ready to one-and-done 'em. The latter can be found in a rare handful of "item rooms" (where specific valuables will randomly, infinitely spawn once all enemies are slain), and hoarded with a little chicanery. On a first run, though, you're likely to waste and rebuy this stuff.

It's a very unforgiving game WRT key items. This isn't even getting into the considerable number of red herring dungeons and dead ends. I enjoy ironing out my ARPGs for efficient single-sitting runs, and I like the simple, harsh action, so it was right up my alley. Could easily see its foibles annoying others though.
Sumez wrote:Some things about an item that you don't want to pick up, and limiting how you level or whatever.
Ah yes, the Pendant. It's found in an optional dungeon halfway through, at the below location (spawns on the far right after you kill the midboss).

Image Image

Don't pick it up. The intention was for it to double your attack power, but a programming error means it's actually in effect from the game's start. Acquiring the item will toggle its flag off. I like to salvage Hudson's error, somewhat, by clearing out the dungeon and leaving the pendant where it is. ;3

I actually didn't understand the levelling on my initial playthroughs, beyond it boosting your acceleration, so I just went balls out for the top rank. Vanguard explains a more efficient approach:
Vanguard wrote:One thing I didn't see mentioned here is how bizarre Faxanadu's leveling system is. Leveling up does three things: it increases your acceleration while moving, it increases the gold you spawn with, and it decreases how long powerups last for. So your character controls like shit until you gain a few levels, but don't go too high or your items will lose much of their usefulness. Warrior and Myrmidon are good stopping points. At high levels you can also spend all your money and then kill yourself to do more shopping, but I don't mind that part.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

So dying doesn't punish you in any way other than resetting your position?
edit: Some research says you'll lose current gold (but regain the amount tied to your level/rank) and any EXP that wasn't invested into increasing your rank, Dark Souls-style. That's an interesting approach I think. Means you can essentially abuse death the mechanics to build up your inventory :P
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Powerups lasting less time is really no big deal, I still say go for the highest rank

For keys : I say pretty much always carry 2 of the newest keys available to you, and and 1 of the previously available(you can go 2 for extra safety. You will need a Jack key until 3/4 of the way, so always carry one until then)

Always carry a pair of wingboots.

That's it.

For the spot where you need to use the wingboots : I wouldn't spoil it frankly. It's not terribly hard to find. If my 8 year old self could find it, I'm sure you can :o

Enjoy your adventure Sumez! The color palettes used here to portray a decaying land (while still using mainly saturated tones) is like no other on the NES. Couple that with a soundtrack that's moody, eerie and a bit unsettling and you got yourself a very engrossing adventure!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Marc

Post by Marc »

Leviathan wrote:Anyone know how Metal Slug 3 on PS4 is? It's on sale now for $4.49.
Isn't a PS2 port and it pretty much spot on as car as I can tell.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Marc wrote:
Leviathan wrote:Anyone know how Metal Slug 3 on PS4 is? It's on sale now for $4.49.
Isn't a PS2 port and it pretty much spot on as car as I can tell.
I see Hamster did an ACA MS3 for the Switch. Would rather give them my money after the Anthology fiasco tbh. Still on the fence (but good advice received, thanks evreyone).

Played Super Probotector on OpenEmu the other dayfor the first time. I remember reading about this game in magazine back in the day, and badly wanting to play it. Only recently discovered it's a Contra game in disguise (I know I know... :oops: ).
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Yet another (slightly) long absence, but I'm back with a few more clears. :lol:

-----

The first one (and it's been a couple weeks since, but I was too lazy to post :mrgreen: ) is Ys V (SFC).

[No screenshots, sorry :oops:]

I've been playing Ys IV and V in tandem, because Ys V is not connected to the other games in the series plotwise (or at least, there're no recurring characters/locations) so there was no danger of missing any plot connections, and I ended up clearing it before the 4th game.

This is the only game in the 2D series (until Ys VI) that doesn't employ the "ramming" method of attack, and instead plays like a more traditional overhead Action-RPG (like Zelda and the like).
Now, I prefer this type of games over the classic Ys ones, but the thing is, that classic gameplay is what made the earlier Ys games unique, and as a standard ARPG, Ys V is pretty average.

One thing that's really bothersome, is the magic system.
Instead of having a dedicated button for using magic, the attack button doubles as the magic button, and what makes you use magic instead of attacking, is a counter that increases (from 0 to 100) as you hold down (or repeatedly press) the R button. Once the counter reaches 100, the next attack button press will be a magic attack instead.
Different kinds of magic use different amounts of this counter (and, of course, they use MP as well), so if you want to use magic again, you'll have to increase the counter again (with the R button).
My guess is that the developers wanted the player to not be able to spam magic all the time, so they came up with this system, but the truth is, you can pretty much do it anyway by repeatedly pressing the R button, so the system becomes somewhat redundant, and in turn, this constant R button pressing (if you intend to use magic at all) becomes just a nuisance.

Your character also has 2 level types (a first in the series so far): one for physical strikes/defense and another for magic (mostly raises your magic damage and magic defense). Killing enemies with the sword will raise the first, and finishing them with magic will raise the second (interestingly, only the finishing attack will count, so you could hack away an enemies life with the sword, and finish them with a magic attack, and the XP will go towards the magic level).
It is a pretty nice addition, but it does mean that if you want your magic to do any decent damage, you'll have to raise your magic level as well.

On the other hand, you cannot use magic agains bosses at all, so your main method of dispatching foes will be the sword anyway. In fact, you can go through most of the game without using magic anyway.

As for difficulty, and unlike the previous entries in the series, this game is pretty easy overall.
The main problem is that you can carry dozens of healing item with you (up to 10 of most items, but there are at least 2~3 types of healing item, not to mention the ubiquitous "revive-with-full-HP" item), which takes any challenge from the bosses (which in the previous games, were the main source of difficulty, and required you to learn their patterns or face defeat... mostly), and the rest of the game, for that matter.

What you'll find, is that it is much simpler to just hack away at the bosses (many of them are relatively stationary, which makes this easier) and tough it out, than trying to come up with a strategy for them.

Now, I understand that this issue may be a moot point for many, as you could simply try to beat bosses the proper way (without relying on the healing items), but I just wanted to point it out, because it makes this game feel even more detached from the rest of the series.

Well, I can't really recall anything else of importance right now, so that's it. :lol:

-----

The next game was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (GB).

ImageImageImage

Well, the best way I can describe this game is, generic.
The game's pretty short (it has 5 levels, each split into several sections, but totalling at 1 hour or so) and easy as well (cleared it on the first try, lost 2 lives).

You can choose to play as any of the 4 turtles, and they double as lives, so if you lose a life as Donatello, you cannot play with him again.
At first I thought each of the turtles had a unique moveset, but they play exactly the same, though they do have different weapons (a purely visual difference).
Besides the standard melee attack, you can also throw a shuriken if you attack while crouching (there's no crouching melee attack). If you attack while jumping, you'll perform a jumping kick.
One nice thing you can do is, if you attack (standing melee only) and turn around, your attack will hit on both sides, which is pretty useful if you're surrounded.

The turtles walk pretty slowly, and jump quite high (though this is nothing new as far as Konami's GB games go), but otherwise they control pretty nicely.

The problem is how generic the stages and enemy groups are.
You'll be barraged with the same types of enemies throughout the entire game, and although new enemies are introduced as you progress, the bulk of the levels will be cluttered with the same average mooks.
Also, on some of the sections, the enemies seem to have a knack for spawning almost on top of you (they come from offscreen jumping, but given their speed, and the small screen of the GB, they'll almost land on top of you).

The levels themselves are really monotonous as well, and some of the sections seem to run choppier than the rest for some reason (like the even numbered section on stage 1).
Also, your character cannot climb slopes at all (even when it feels like they should), so each slope (both ascending and descending) behave like tile-by-tile steps instead.

Not much else to say, but I wouldn't recommend this game. Really generic stuff, especially considering it is a Konami game.
You could play through it anyway, given how short and easy it is, though.

-----

Last and most importantly, finally got the 1CC in Final Fight 2 (SFC) with Carlos. 8)

ImageImage

Normally I would rant on and on about it, but it is pretty much standard stuff (in a good way), and I think everyone already knows what it's like, so I'll just make a few remarks. :wink:

First is the graphics. I've said this before, but I find this game really drab looking, compared to the first game.
Not only does the game palette has a penchant for the brown tones, but the new character sprites look really average (the enemies' sprites mostly, but partially the main characters' sprites as well).

Next is the new characters.
I actually like Maki because I think she actually complement the game's lack of a ninja (given that Guy is gone), but Carlos is pretty generic, and just out of place in my opinion. I think his design doesn't quite fit the FF world, especially that sword on his back (which he never uses, except when doing his special), as although weapons are an integral part of these games, no other playable character ever brought one to the fight.

I got the feeling that the weapons do less damage in this game, but I could be wrong.

As for the enemies, I kinda liked the bear hugging dudes and the electric shock Oriber replacements.
The bear hugging dudes are pretty much a replacement for the Slashes and Axels from FF (characterized by their ability to defend and their very damaging attack) but with the bear-hug twist.
The lighting guys replace the baldies Oriber/Wong Who from FF, with the lightning rods twist, which will shock you, and knock you down.
When playing, I hate both of these dudes (later on, the games does have a knack for throwing out a lot of these guys at once), as it forces you to be more careful about approaching/dealing with them, but I consider them a good addition from a gameplay perspective.

Other than that, it is a pretty nice game, and you finally get to fight Rolento on a SFC game. :lol:

-----

Also came close to clear Metroid II (GB), but I'm stuck against the last boss with 3 Energy tanks and 170 missiles.
I really wanted to beat the dude with just this items, because I don't really feel like going back to look for the extra stuff. :oops:

Did any of you guys ever beat it with this much, or do I really need to go back for some more?

-----

EDIT:

Cleared Final Fight 2 with Maki as well. :wink:

ImageImage

Went to the last boss with 5 lives in stock, but lost 4 against it. Pretty embarassing stuff. :oops:

I forgot to say this earlier, but both runs were played on the Normal difficulty, and no infinite combo trick was used.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Matterfall is released today. Anybody going to buy?

Looks pretty good, but I'll hold off until I hear some reviews and opinions.

For those who missed it --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUJRFJ8iG2g
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

__SKYe wrote:Did any of you guys ever beat it with this much, or...?
Hell yeah!

Man, I really need to replay Metroid II.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Leviathan wrote:Matterfall is released today. Anybody going to buy?

Preordered it for the single reason that they actually bothered to put out a physical release for this, and a dirt cheap one at that. I wanted to support that for releases of this scale, no matter how good the game eventually turns out be.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Sumez wrote:
Leviathan wrote:Matterfall is released today. Anybody going to buy?

Preordered it for the single reason that they actually bothered to put out a physical release for this, and a dirt cheap one at that. I wanted to support that for releases of this scale, no matter how good the game eventually turns out be.
I checked amazon and its says the release date is Dec 29 2018!? Was it a limited quantity made available for pre-order?

http://a.co/6wpdAoq
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Hell yeah!

Man, I really need to replay Metroid II.
Yeah, I was trying to beat it using the long-winded method, but it is very tough that way.
Incidentally, I cleared it on the 3rd try after trying the bombing method.

Total time was just over 6 hours, but in my defense, I always take my time exploring in these kind of games (even though I didn't get all the items, nor the High Jump). :lol:

That fight (using the bombs) is still a bit tricky, even after you've seen it, because you have to be careful to hit the boss' open mouth with a missile when he's close to the ground, so that you can slide right into his mouth in ball form.
Otherwise, you won't be able to get in, and you'll probably take damage by trying to jump into his mouth.

My first 2 deaths (since using this method) were precisely because, while trying to jump out of the way of some of his lunges, I'd end up hitting him with a missile while his head was somewhat off the ground, and I would take too much damage trying to get into his mouth.

I found it amusing that the Metroid Wiki says that you have to be fast (after getting into his mouth) to plant the bombs, because you take damage constantly (while inside the boss), but I find that, this damage you take is completely insignificant compared to what the boss deals when he hits you with his head (you lose some 50HP I'd say?).

I was surprised to not see the player in that video use the Screw Attack to destroy the projectiles, though. Or perhaps he didn't pick it up at all?

Anyway, very fun game, especially considering the platform. Now to finally clear Metroid: Fusion -- I've been procrastinating on that one for a long time now.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Leviathan wrote: I checked amazon and its says the release date is Dec 29 2018!? Was it a limited quantity made available for pre-order?
The store I ordered from is still selling them anyway, and they even lowered the price even further now, to 149kr ($23.50), and they apparently sent my copy today even though it was set to ship on Friday.
Supposedly the physical release is only in Europe though? Not sure. Definitely doesn't seem like a limited release of any sorts. Just a PS4 budget title.
CIT

Post by CIT »

@__SKYe

Congrats on the FF2 clear! I think it's a pretty decent game actually.

I hope you're playing the superb PC Engine version of Ys IV (Dawn of Ys)? The SFC version is pretty bad, imo.

As for Ys V: I never bothered with the magic system at all. The sword is powerful enough to make short work of pretty much anything and is just way more efficient. I think it's the game's major weakness, but otherwise I found it pretty enjoyable, both in terms of plot and presentation. Nowhere near Ys I&II and Dawn of Ys though. :)
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How does the expert version of Ys V compare to the vanilla version?

Edit: Looks like only the vanilla version has been fully translated
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

CIT wrote:@__SKYe

Congrats on the FF2 clear! I think it's a pretty decent game actually.
Thanks, now I only have Haggar to go through, but I'm absolutely horrible with him so it should take a while. :lol:

Oh, and I should clarify, I also think it is a fantastic game.
When I said I wouldn't rant about it much, I actually meant it in a good way, because I think it is pretty much every bit as good as the original (and vastly superior to the SFC's port, in my opinion), but since I always go around preaching about the Final Fight games, I thought it best to just stick to some differences I thought were most relevant (in my opinion, of course).

And of course, those are mostly towards the graphics side, and the re-designs of the enemies, palettes, etc. But as far as gameplay go, it is a damn solid game.
CIT wrote:I hope you're playing the superb PC Engine version of Ys IV (Dawn of Ys)? The SFC version is pretty bad, imo.
Yep, absolutely.
Though I almost reverted to the SFC version due to the non-subbed JP voice acting, which is where most of the important dialogue/plot comes from (and I like to know what's going on in a game plot-wise, especially in RPGs :mrgreen: ), but fortunately I discovered the fantastic english fan-dub patch, and I went with it instead of the SFC one.
CIT wrote:As for Ys V: I never bothered with the magic system at all. The sword is powerful enough to make short work of pretty much anything and is just way more efficient. I think it's the game's major weakness, but otherwise I found it pretty enjoyable, both in terms of plot and presentation. Nowhere near Ys I&II and Dawn of Ys though. :)
Yeah, the magic system is pretty neglegible, and the primary reason I even bothered to use it, was because I thought that I would eventually need it somewhere along the line.
As for the gameplay, it is indeed pretty entertaining and is in no way bad, but I think it loses some charm/quality, because as a standard overhead ARPG it no longer stands out, while the previous games, although having a weird attack mechanic (sans the 3rd game, or course) have a unique gameplay that makes them stand out from the rest of the library.

In other words, it's a fun, decent game, but not quite up to par with other, similar games (gameplay-wise) in its category.
Though I really disliked the seemingly random spots where the elemental stones where hidden. It goes against everything that my Dragon Quest trained mind knows, such as that items are found in chests, drawers, cabinets, wells or otherwise logical places (or as logical as games can be). :lol:

The good news is that after Ys IV, it's time for the modern, 3D (or thereabouts) games.
BrianC wrote:How does the expert version of Ys V compare to the vanilla version?
I've wondered about this as well, and pondered playing this version instead, but there was no english translation for it so I ended up going with the vanilla game, but from what I could find, besides the standard bump in difficuty (most likely, enemies have more HP and do more damage), there's an extra dungeon near the end of the game.

Once again, I've not confirmed this, and honestly I'm not very keen on replaying the entire game just to see what changed, but if you understand Japanese or don't care for the plot (or use a walkthrough), then I'd say go for the Expert version, since the original is a bit too easy.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Got this yesterday already, three days earlier than expected!

Don't know when I'll get the time to play it :|