JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: JVC TM-H and DT-V thread

Post by Xer Xian »

werk91 wrote:Anyone ever tried a Pc Engine on the DT-V series?
The PCE has a slight upper skew on the DT-V series (at least through RGB) according to the japanese blog post that has already been linked sometime ago.

User SamIAm posted a translation of that post here (it involves modding the PCE to output separate sync): http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1229183

The NeoGeo AES is affected as well according to lewolfeur, but really all consoles with a slightly off-spec sync may have the same issue to a varying degree. I wonder if the sync regeneration feature of the gscartsw lite could solve it once and for all. It would be the most convenient solution.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Duhh! How did I forget about that Japanese article. Although has someone here tried that console on a JVC? The Ikegami is a different monitor and there's different and various degrees of good/bad RGB mods on PCE machines too. There's a very good looking one on eBay right now that's already RGB modded and it's basically the last console I'm interested in adding to the collection. Everything else so far works without a hitch on the DT-V19. Maybe I'll take the plunge and risk it. As for the gscartsw sync regeneration I agree, certainly don't fancy the other solution or doing it myself.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Few hours ago I did something to the Int Sync line on the monitor :? I was on Ext sync with Genesis on and I simply changed it to Int Sync without turning off the console first. Then when I tried Wii or 360 through the Component cables and VGA switcher there would be absolutely no picture :/ I then hooked the 360 directly the PVM and the signal was with a lot distortion and shaking... Slight moment of panic and then switching over to Ext Sync consoles all was fine. Even YpBpR over RGBS from the PS2 is working with Tekken 5. So it's not 480p that's the problem but just the Sync on Green... The most annoying thing is I only got everything set up over the weekend and hadn't even played properly yet. So my advice is to be extra careful if you're having two different signals going into one input. Maybe it was a bad idea to begin with, I've certainly learned my lesson anyways. Very glad the RGB input didn't get damaged instead :o
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

@werk91: I doubt that these monitors are so delicate. For what it's worth, I fed mine an RGBHV signal while on internal sync a few times and didn't damage anything. Did you double check to make sure?
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I've been either too busy or bummed out to try it since then... :lol: I was thinking though, even when I had the PS2 work with 480p afterwards I had to change to Int Sync. So in this case the sync is going over the Green pin on the Scart surely? Maybe I'll turn it all back on and it'll work, or maybe I've just damaged a component cable somewhere although that's unlikely I imagine. In any case my advice is to only switch sync when there's no signal going to the monitor, just to be on safe side :) I will post here when I'm able to try it again, crossing my fingers at the moment.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

UPDATE: I decided to go in a different way about the whole 480p Component setup. I was doing some research and because I know my Scart switches routes component signals fine I decided to give this cable a go:
Spoiler
Its meant for component to Scart direction so I plugged the output of my VGA/YpBpR switcher to that cable and that cable's Scart end to my switcher. Bam! Perfect picture for X360, Wii and Wii U for 480p. No need to deal with longer RGB phono cables and various BNC splitters that only made things awkward. I'm getting overall better brightness than before and no noise or ghosting. Also it seems whatever happened to the monitor before has now fixed itself ??? Either way I think I'll be taking the 360 out of the setup as even though the Dashoard gives me nice 480p60p full screen picture every game I have tried so far is letterboxed with massive black bars on top and bottom. This is actually worse than the PS3's 576p resolution which looks off and wrong but fills up the whole screen at least. Got to thank Sony and Microsoft for adding outdated and useless region limitations even in 2006 :twisted: I have to say though, the JVC DT-V has a fantastic component picture. Its better than my subpar Samsung 22" LCD TV which has always seemed with washed out colours for anything but HDMI.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Check out the early morning extortion!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332336954803
werk91

Post by werk91 »

:lol: Rare and hard to find item because of people like them lol! Seeing that they have two for sale I think people should message the seller to try and bring down the price. Might work :)
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I think they're rare because they're actually rare though. Dude probably googled the number and found this and a few other game groups and just threw up a big number.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Question for all your JVC owners: I've had ~9 JVC pro-type monitors (and currently own a Panasonic BT-M1950Y which JVC makes) of maybe 5? different models, and 4/5 of the models (probably ~7 monitors total) wouldn't let me extend the left and right image area so there was a bit of overscan past the edge of the screen. Many stopped a few mm's shy of the edge of the screen which you would be hard pressed to notice unless you're looking for it, but on many it gave a noticeable letterbox look.

Is this normal for JVC's? Does this likewise drive you guys crazy? We're all used to having our images letterboxed on the top and bottom like movies commonly do, but it's nothing but annoying on the left and right. Depending on the system and/or game there can also be some funky (sometimes blinking) pixels in that area, and on these JVC's there's just nothing you can do to get rid of it.

I literally sold quite a few of them because of this design flaw - and there's no way it was old capacitors/components if it's happened on this amount of monitors, off all different models, gotten from various places, with different amounts of use, from different manufacturing time periods even. I can see this being valuable to a point (as in kinda forcing you to make sure there's NEVER anything funky on the L/R edge of a piece of film you're editing or whatnot), but on the Sony's (and my one Ikegami at least) you can ALWAYS adjust the screen area to have 100%+ coverage and that's how I prefer it. Even going inside and adjusting the H pots didn't help many of these JVC's...
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

@Dochartaigh: There are both VSize and HSize settings on the DT-V series, but not on the TM-H, and probably neither on the other older JVC monitors I'd assume. Very strange that all the JVC's you bumped into had an underscan issue - at least on my TM-H150, the picture is slightly cropped horizontally (and I'm ok with that given its curved screen):

I guess that if anyone's going for a CRT monitor made by JVC, unless you can have some other model for (very) cheap, it's probably better to stick with the TM-H or DT-V series, especially now that a cost-effective solution for RGB support has been found.
Star1

Post by Star1 »

The TM-H series does have H-size adjustment. Whether or not it allows horizontal overscan I can't say for sure right now, but I do believe I have done that one my sets.
Sefirosu789

Post by Sefirosu789 »

I recently picked up a TM-H1950CG and it was damaged (the front panel is cracked)... The only buttons that work are chroma,contrast, -volume and power. So I think the front panel damage has knocked the front buttons and affected them. What do you guys think? Seems like I am going to have to take out the front panel board..

Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

The H and V sizes are in the service menu for TM-Hs. In the deflection block. But they're not labeled so you have to try each one until you find them.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

These all had H Size adjustments in the menu if my memory serves, but even if I maxed that out, adjusted the pot (if they had them - only did this on two of them when I had them open I think), and even changed the 'quick menu' many of the JVC's have which lets you click +/- 5 or 7 clicks in all directions without having to go into the proper service menu; they STILL couldn't widen the image quite enough on certain systems via RGB and/or S-Video.

Like my Raspberry Pi 3 with RGB output board was always fine on the JVC's (I flipped through a bunch of my pictures and found pics of the 240p test grid on a bunch of these JVC's to confirm that). I think it was Sega Genesis and PS1/PS2 might have been the culprits of not being able to stretch the image quite enough left/right no matter that I did. Wish I took better notes – and only have my JVC-built Panasonic in my possession still; and I know that one for a fact is ever so slight not wide enough (I'm talking like a mm on either side - nothing really...just like it to have more).
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Can anyone with a TM-H verify for me that the 17 or 19 inch models have a proper degauss thud sound? I'm only getting the click on mine, but my 15 inch version thuds like my Sonys.
Star1

Post by Star1 »

Yeah, the 19" makes a proper thud when fired up.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Fabulous. Guess my degauss circuit is messed up.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Degauss needs to make a "thud" sound, if there isn't it means that degauss did not initate itself. One reason might be that it doesn't need to degauss.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

do you get wavy screen when degaussing while displaying a picture ? If yes your degauss still works, it's probably secured well enough so that it doesn't move around and vibrates.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

On my DT-V there's a loud thud when it's powered on from cold, also with the shaking of the screen is there until it finishes degaussing. After its been warmed up for say an hour and then I switch it off, then back on after a while the thud isn't there, it's more of a quiet click. Presumably because the circuit is still warm and doesn't need as much degaussing.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

It's because the degauss circuit includes a thermistor which only actuates when cold. Mine may be broken. That's why my screen got bad discoloration when I rotated it and I had to manually degauss.
Tapeworm

Post by Tapeworm »

Anyone know a good place to find the 16:9 bezel for the DT-V1710CG? I guess it originally came with the monitor, so finding it separate on eBay is proving difficult.

Thanks!
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I've just found out that there's another member in the DT-V family! It's the DT-V100CG. It probably is the smallest HD-capable CRT monitor ever made.. but honestly, with only 300 TV Lines of resolution (which according to the leaflet go down to 230 in HD * ) it doesn't really make any sense. They even made a tiny 16:9 bezel to go along with it.. :lol:

* Edit: of course this is due to HD resolutions being 16:9, which will reduce the height/width on which to count the lines.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

It only takes composite in stock form, and requires an expansion for RGB/Component that probably manages to be rarer than the IF-C01COMG, although it's probably just the form factor that changes and is the same internally.

But, yeah, 300 TVL, big woop. Some sony 8 inchers manage to do 450 TVL.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

There's a 9 inch BVM at 450tvl that can do HD resolutions. I wanted one for the ridiculousness of it but it's expensive.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

Hello everyone! :)

A few days ago I've bought a beautiful JVC DT-V1710CG in very nice condition. The monitor has 1200 hours on it, and it came in a original case and a JVC IF-C01COMG card instaled :)

I connected a ps2 to try out the monitor, and on 240p games the whole image is a bit wavy It look's great but there's movement all over the image. Strange thing is, when I turn on the on screen menu, the letters are still, but the image behind them is moveing. 480i seems to be ok. With 480p the image is perfectly still, but I can see quite a lot of ghosting.

My RGB cables are not the best quality. Actualy they are quite cheap and old, but they worked great with my BVM.

Any suggestions on what could be causing those issues? Could it be that the cables are bad? Should I use sync on luma cables with the JVC?
Last edited by Namingway_PL on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

I've used mine with a PS2 + cheap no-name RGB cable a few times and it was fine. Still, it would be good if you could test it with some other cable (component as well if you have it) and/or console. Maybe make sure that the bnc to scart adapter works fine on your BVM as well. Just some run-of-the-mill testing to make sure the issue is really there and eventually narrow it down a bit.
Namingway_PL

Post by Namingway_PL »

I've done some testing. All of my cables are working good. I've set the monitor and the PS2 to component, and in that mode, there is a setting described as "freq. control" that did not appear when the monitor is in RGB mode. It was set to "high", and when I've set it to "off" all of the unwanted movement stopped.

Now everything is ok in component mode, but in RGB the issue is still present, and there is no "freq. control" setting in this mode.

Component is ok, but I would like to use RGB as well. Any suggestions?
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

Well, that's interesting. I've read a bit about aperture correction and apparently it's meant to implement some sort of edge enhancement - I have no idea how that could make a difference. So other consoles over RGB work fine?