RQ: DOJ Basics

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
MattR

RQ: DOJ Basics

Post by MattR »

Hi,

I've just started playing DOJ. I have read the posts here but don't really under stand them. What are hypers? What is chaining? Why are bees important, where do I find them?

I have not played other games in this series so perhaps I have missed something?

Cheers,
Matt
chtimi-CLA

Re: RQ: DOJ Basics

Post by chtimi-CLA »

MattR wrote:Hi,

I've just started playing DOJ. I have read the posts here but don't really under stand them. What are hypers? What is chaining? Why are bees important, where do I find them?

I have not played other games in this series so perhaps I have missed something?

Cheers,
Matt
-Hypers are the golden bee medals that trail behind your ship until you use them (by pushing B, which when you have hypers isn't a bomb but a hyper use). Look at the ingame replays, when he uses a hyper the shot and laser become yellow and more powerful. Hyper are also useful for chaining
-Chaining means killing enemies without the combo jauge emptying. The combo jauge is the red-->green vertical meter one the top left, it fills when you kill enemies and empties quickly over time. Comboing is the basis of scoring in DOJ. Each enemy is worth enemy_base_value * current_combo, which is the big red "xxx HIT" display.
-To uncover bees, the head of you laser must uncover them. They are in specific locations that you need to learn, either invisible or faintly glowing when you approach. Bees are important, to quote myself from the other thread:

-they're by definition on a possible reliable path as you said
-uncovering them fills the combo meter 100% (a little heli only gives 50%), many transitions are based on chaining a bee.
-they help in getting hypers, which help bridging a gap. they're not placed randomly hyper-wise, for example the 1st stage 3 bee is placed just late enough that if you start an hyper just at the beginning of the stage, you can pick up the bee while no longer in hyper. stage 5 has even more of this.
-on a full chain stage 2, at bee base =2000, bees are about 40% of the points. the end of stage 1-2 bee can be 8m (2000*2000*2), end of stage 1-5 30m (5000*3000*2).
MattR

Post by MattR »

Thanks for that. It really helped. I'm going to find some bees now :D