The State of Emulation topic

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
soprano1

Re: The State of Emulation topic

Post by soprano1 »

null1024 wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure burning really slow like 2x doesn't actually help things on modern 52x CD-R media [even the cheap stuff].
Keep it somewhat low still, since burning at/near max drive speed definitely does cause issues.
Now that i think about it, some cd's probably won't burn at such low speeds.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Oh boy, BlastEm 0.5.0!
Spoiler
Mask_of_Destiny wrote:Some highlights

Overdrive 2 runs near perfectly, a first for a released Genesis emulator
Initial SMS support, technically emulating the Genesis/MD backwards compatibility mode
Implemented the Realtec mapper and fixed-value copy protection registers so a bunch of unlicensed games now work
Partial XBAND "Fred" chip emulation so you can boot up the menu and play the hidden minigame (also a first I think)
The original Overdrive now runs flawlessly, which previously only Genesis Plus GX could claim
YM2612 SSG-EG and CSM modes are now implemented so my YM2612 emulation is finally complete

Generally my focus with this release was on removing the accuracy and completeness gaps compared to Genesis Plus GX so that I can credibly claim to have the most accurate Genesis/MD emulator. Previously there were areas in which I exceeded it, but there were also some significant gaps (SSG-EG and CSM mode probably being the most important ones). While there are probably some minor areas where Genesis Plus GX is superior accuracy-wise, I think I've succeeded in general.

Compatibility is also substantially improved (big shoutout to my two newest testers Sasha and lol-frank who tested a huge number of games against the nightly builds). Genesis Plus GX still has the edge here (still need to implement the Pier Solar mapper, add a few more EEPROM games to the db and probably a few other odds and ends), but the gap is pretty small. There's still a pretty big gap in peripheral support though (light guns, multitaps and the XE-1 AP are still absent).
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

We finally have decent Gamecube and Wii emulation:
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/07/30/ubershaders/
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

ZellSF wrote:We finally have decent Gamecube and Wii emulation:
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/07/30/ubershaders/
That's some really impressive technical stuff.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Pinball Deluxe has finally been emulated correctly.
LIJI128 wrote:Until this week, there wasn't a single accuracy-focused Game Boy emulator that could emulate Pinball Deluxe (See endrift's article). Other than some old versions of VBA, there wasn't any popular emulator that could run this game without it crashing after a few seconds of gameplay. A few days ago I managed to fix enough bugs to get the game running on SameBoy in CGB mode, and today I fixed yet another bug and now it also works in DMG mode.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Didn't realize that FCEUX 2.2.3 has hidden overclock settings, not really surprised because Mesen does it first and still regarded as the most accurate FC emulator today. My only problem about Mesen is there's screen tearing on some occasion even vsync turned on.

Kinda odd why SNES emulation do not have overclock feature besides SuperFX chip?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

nah, just atlus being control freaks.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

So, from what I understand Atlus is trying to takedown a PS3 emulator site because said emulator can play Persona 5 good? Is that it?
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

soprano1 wrote:So, from what I understand Atlus is trying to takedown a PS3 emulator site because said emulator can play Persona 5 good? Is that it?
Not the site, just all mentions to the game. So screenshots, compatibility lists etc. Its a stupid move because all it does is alert even more people to the fact that PS3 emulation is a thing.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

tomwhite2004 wrote:
soprano1 wrote:So, from what I understand Atlus is trying to takedown a PS3 emulator site because said emulator can play Persona 5 good? Is that it?
Not the site, just all mentions to the game. So screenshots, compatibility lists etc. Its a stupid move because all it does is alert even more people to the fact that PS3 emulation is a thing.
EDIT: Looks like they tried to remove the patreon too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comm ... shut_down/
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

tomwhite2004 wrote:Its a stupid move because all it does is alert even more people to the fact that PS3 emulation is a thing.
Hell, I didn't know it was a thing already, so it worked. :lol:
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Funny how Atlus's justification wasn't "they're profiting of our work" and it wasn't "they're enabling piracy". Both ways it would make sense for them to justify it. They just apparently have some problem with letting people play the game on the format they choose.

Well what can you expect from the only company that has ever region locked a PS3 game?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Official Atlus statement:
http://atlus.com/atlus-and-emulation/
Conveniently located on a page reminding you about their streaming policies.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shock at Atlus: So the world isn't just PlayStation !? :shock:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

SNES9X was updated to version 1.55
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

ATLUS wrote:It was never our intention to threaten people with copyright strikes, but we clearly chose the wrong tone for how to communicate this.
They're right about having chosen the wrong tone. Copyright strikes? Please.

Regarding P5 spoilers, don't blame the Youtube user who posted the video. It's the viewer's fault if they watch a video and spoil P5 for theirself. The best stance is laissez-faire.

Maybe Atlus should also look at sites like GameFAQs, and order any FAQs for P5 to be taken down as well. :roll:
Kinect? KIN NOT.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

DS local multiplayer via emulation is a reality with melonDS, which received a 0.6 release just yesterday.
Back in July, StapleButter wrote:It's not perfect though. But it's a start. Pictochat, NSMB and Pokémon are known to be working, but you might encounter spurious disconnects (or, more likely, lag). Mario Kart and Rayman RR2 refuse to work.
EDIT 12/11: One of the best new features in the latest PCem (v13) is a greatly improved user interface. It's just a little bit closer now to making DOSBox obsolete, with Windows 98 support and everything.

And about this:
WelshMegalodon wrote:In Bizhawk and MAME, the [Master System] FM was much too quiet.
It's been a known issue for the past two years and left open due to enik not having a reliable source for the actual volume. MAME's 0.178 release states that improvements were made to the FM Sound Unit, so a fix is at least in progress.

EDIT 12/12: redream now has a compatibility wiki. Titles marked as "Playable" include Cannon Spike, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Gunbird 2, House of the Dead 2, Ikaruga, both Power Stone games, Space Channel 5, and both Giga Wing games. Prebuilt binaries are locked behind a paywall, but you can still compile from source.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

New release of PCem. Changelog seems to contain some pretty big changes and there are quite a few improvements that aren't mentioned in it:
11th December 2017
PCem v13 released. Changes from v12 :

New machines added - Atari PC3, Epson PC AX, Epson PC AX2e, GW-286CT GEAR, IBM PS/2 Model 30-286, IBM PS/2 Model 50, IBM PS/2 Model 55SX, IBM PS/2 Model 80, IBM XT Model 286, KMX-C-02, Samsung SPC-4200P, Samsung SPC-4216P, Toshiba 3100e
New graphics cards - ATI Video Xpression, MDSI Genius
New sound cards added - Disney Sound Source, Ensoniq AudioPCI (ES1371), LPT DAC, Sound Blaster PCI 128
New hard drive controllers added - AT Fixed Disk Adapter, DTC 5150X, Fixed Disk Adapter (Xebec), IBM ESDI Fixed Disk Controller, Western Digital WD1007V-SE1
New SCSI adapters added - Adaptec AHA-1542C, BusLogic BT-545S, Longshine LCS-6821N, Rancho RT1000B, Trantor T130B
New network adapters added - NE2000 compatible
New cross-platform GUI
Voodoo SLI emulation
Improvements to Sound Blaster emulation
Improvements to Pentium timing
Various bug fixes
Minor optimisations

Thanks to AmatCoder, basic2004, bit, dns2k, ecksemess, Greatpsycho, hOMER247, James-F, John Elliott, JosepMa, leilei, neozeed, ruben_balea, SA1988 and tomaszkam for contributions towards this release.
There was also a pretty substantial PPSSPP update two weeks ago:
November 29, 2017: PPSSPP 1.5 - Vulkan is here!

1.5 has support for Vulkan, the new faster way to draw graphics. Supported on many modern Android devices, and if enabled (change Backend in Graphics settings) you will see a massive speed boost. PPSSPP 1.5 also has the usual assortment of fixes:

Full Vulkan support, also for Android now. Very fast on supported devices. (#10033, #10049)
Smarter graphics state management, reduced CPU consumption on all backends (#9899)
Android: Support for Arabic and other scripts we couldn't support before
Fix Android widgets, screen scaling (#10145)
Fixes to video dumping
Geometry problems fixed in Medal of Honor
Implement immediate draws, fixing Thrillville (#7459)
Software rendering improvements, speed and accuracy
Hardware tesselation of PSP Beziers and Splines (used by a few games)
Partial sceUsbGps and sceUsbCam support (Android)
Android "Sustained performance mode" to avoid thermal throttling (#9901)
Linux controller mapping fixes (#9997)
Assorted bugfixes and compatibility improvements

Note that Google Play might take a day or two to update, I'm doing a slow rollout this time to catch unexpected crashes from the new Vulkan backend etc. Some issues have been found already, fixes will be made.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

PCEm 13's been pretty nice so far. Most of the weirdness has been with its handling of resolution changes [also, 4:3 stretch now applies in windowed mode, but it's still a bit wonky].
Having an actual config manager instead of having a dozen copies of the program lying around is the best new feature.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Several IIDX titles are now working in MAME, although there might still be some sync issues:
beatmania IIDX 4th style (GCA03 JAA) [smf, R. Belmont, Sarah Purohit]
beatmania IIDX 6th style (GCB4U JAB) [smf, R. Belmont, Sarah Purohit]
beatmania IIDX 7th style (GCB44 JAA) [smf, R. Belmont, Sarah Purohit]
beatmania IIDX 8th style (GCC44 JAA) [smf, R. Belmont, Sarah Purohit]
EDIT: Also, MAME can run Win9x software and has apparently been able to do so for quite some time. Who knew?

http://forums.bannister.org//ubbthreads ... Post111830
Spoiler
There are also working device drivers for 3dfx Voodoo cards and even several Pentium CPUs.

EDIT: As of 2018/1/8, redream is closed source. :(
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shitty carrier made another victim http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... ber=372565

I wish there would be an option for "accountable staff will be hanged if parcel lost or damaged".
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

How many times is this going to happen before they finally stop trying to ship irreplaceable items through public mail service that clearly don't give a shit?
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Udderdude wrote:How many times is this going to happen before they finally stop trying to ship irreplaceable items through public mail service that clearly don't give a shit?
Basically this.
After Byuu's ordeal, it's hard to imagine shipping stuff like this in any real quantity through the fucking post.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Not an excuse. The PCBs needed to be somewhere to be dumped and this is the very service these companies purport to provide, professionally.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Welcome to idealism versus pragmatism 101. :lol:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018- ... n-they-die
They don't die, people will have to "get" them and play them on emulators, IF they are available. Unfortunately, that's not the solution for many cases presented there.
qmish

Post by qmish »

IF they are available
*ahem* japanese phone games before ios *ahem*

p.s.
Nice article
https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JohnSzc ... Friday.php