SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
TestType

Re: SNES/Famicon PCB Revisions and RGB Video

Post by TestType »

FBX wrote:Okay,

Here's the collated new spreadsheet from several threads I reviewed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 44/pubhtml.
The document is broken or gone, hasn't worked for several days now. Really could have used it right about now.
Any chance of getting it back? Thanks.

Edit: And thanks for your work compiling the list! It was very useful when I could view it :)

I'm looking at a Super Famicom with the serial number S25252362, which is out of the range of the old document. Looks pretty good and the price is pretty good, wondering if I should pull the trigger. It has the SHVC-JPN-1 sticker. Anyone want to guess if it's a 1chip? Guessing it's a 1CHIP-03 if so. Is it worth the trouble to get one of those? Won't I have to mod it anyway because the c-sync is missing? Just wondering if I should rather get the Jr./Mini.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

The link works fine for me, both in Chrome and Firefox. Since it's the highest SFC serial that's been recorded on here, chances are high that you'll get a 1CHIP-03.

Personally I don't mind the lack of C-Sync. Especially with all the out of spec C-Sync cables out there I'll gladly stick with sync on composite. But the mod is also no problem, as long as you have the bits to open the console and a soldering iron.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

You can also always just go luma sync if you get too much noise from composite video sync and don't want to open your SNES.
TestType

Post by TestType »

blizzz wrote:The link works fine for me, both in Chrome and Firefox. Since it's the highest SFC serial that's been recorded on here, chances are high that you'll get a 1CHIP-03.

Personally I don't mind the lack of C-Sync. Especially with all the out of spec C-Sync cables out there I'll gladly stick with sync on composite. But the mod is also no problem, as long as you have the bits to open the console and a soldering iron.
That's weird. I tried it on Chrome on a PC, my phone and a tablet and on all devices I get "Google Docs encountered an error". Tried it now in Firefox and it works! Must be some weird conflict with my Google account, as I'm not signed in to Google on Firefox on my tablet and that's where the document finally worked for me. Sorry about that.

I decided to pull the trigger on it. It was just under $60, which isn't cheap but not that expensive either. I figure I can pick up a Jr. body later if I'm convinced it's even better.

Thanks for the input on the sync guys.
I'll be sure to post which revision it is when I get it.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

$60 including shipping and tax is a great price for a 1CHIP imo.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

So I bought a SFC with serial number S25005648, thinking that all serials over S25xxxxxx designated the 1-CHIP revision. That turned out to be a wrong assumption: :(

I don't think this console underwent a motherboard swap either since the screws had that faint plastic-y resistance typical of untouched consoles. Well, the quest for a 1CHIP console continues :?

Edit: Ok, I opened it again and unscrewed the metallic thingy, and it's confirmed not to be a 1CHIP

:|
Last edited by Xer Xian on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Xer Xian wrote:So I bought a SFC with serial number S25005648, thinking that all serials over S25xxxxxx designated the 1-CHIP revision. That turned out to be a wrong assumption: :(

I don't think this console underwent a motherboard swap either since the screws had that faint plastic-y resistance typical of untouched consoles. Well, the quest for a 1CHIP console continues :?

Edit: Wait, is that the string I need to check or is it another one?
It would be the highest SNS-APU from Japan according to my database. I will add it in.
Xer Xian

Post by Xer Xian »

FBX wrote:It would be the highest SNS-APU from Japan according to my database. I will add it in.
Yeah, it's a SNS-CPU-APU-01 unfortunately (see edited previous post). Pretty sure it was untouched also.

Thanks for the good work with the database btw :)
nissling

Post by nissling »

My SFC is S25015582, 1CHIP-01. Lovely hardware! :)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have a SFC 1CHIP 03, and I want to enable CSYNC on it.

Read this thread and I saw someone saying that all I need to do is solder a wire from pin 7 of the encoder chip to the right pin on the multiout connector(pin 3 I think?). Is this it? Nothing else to do?

(will write my console's serial number here tonight once I'm home)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I believe the mod you're thinking of is for the SNES Mini (and it was pin 18, not pin 7), but I could be mistaken, I've only directly worked on the Mini.

Ideally, get Voultar's RGB bypass board and wire it up to fully restore all outputs (including csync) as well as better quality RGB.

Failing that, the proper solution, from what I've heard, is to replace a few missing components since csync is technically routed to the multi-out if it weren't for the missing components:

https://console5.com/wiki/SNES#1CHIP-03_CSYNC_Restore
Sid

Post by Sid »

Einzelherz wrote: I'm going to assume you're vaguely referencing the photos that GL posted earlier, or something similar as evidence, yes?

What do all of those "square/circular at 8:7" objects have in common? I'll wait.

Correct! They're all small and have very limited pixel counts!

Now how about those that are correct at 4:3?

You guessed it! They're large and have plenty of pixels to work around the slight rectangularity!

Artists aren't making mistakes. They're practical.
That may be true in general, but the object that struck me most with those images was pretty damn big.....
GeneraLight wrote: Image
That leaning pipe is a long way from having right angles at it's mouth, and I find it's proportions quite jarring actually.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Sid wrote: That leaning pipe is a long way from having right angles at it's mouth, and I find it's proportions quite jarring actually.
And that Wii correction is not accurate to the original CRT signal. Here's how it actually looked when it was released:

Keep in mind the designers for these early Mario games admitted they used graph paper to plot the basic layout. As such, there wasn't any room for the artists to account for CRT correction. They had to make sure pipes and blocks fit exactly where they did on the graph paper, using 8x8 tiling. It was simply memory conservation.

But here's the thing: They didn't look at the final result on the CRT and say "Oh wow, those angles are off". Nope, what they saw when they play-tested it is the same thing I posted here, and they gave it the stamp of approval.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

In games where 4:3 is taken into account, 4:3 looks better.

In games where 4:3 isn't taken into account, 8:7 looks better.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

You're right for once, GL. All pre-HD games look better at 4:3. Glad we cleared that up.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

My SFC serial number is S25009742

Sould be a 1CHIP-02 according to the database but it doesn't hace Csync connected (well I think it doesn't. I haven't opened it but... my SNES cable with a D-SUB 15 connector doesn't work on it. And the same cable works on my NESRGB modded nes. So that means my SFC doesn't have Csync right?)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

Nobody can answer your question / confirm your suggestion as both your cable and the NESRGB are not standard. Just open it; if it is a 1Chip-01 or 1Chip-02 it should have CSYNC if the board is not modified.

@FBX: Some serials for your database

S24618018 SNS-CPU-APU-01

UP16478931 SNSP-CPU-02
UP18292763 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02

I've never seen a higher serial for a PAL system. So I highly doubt that a SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-03 exists.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

borti4938 wrote:Nobody can answer your question / confirm your suggestion as both your cable and the NESRGB are not standard. Just open it; if it is a 1Chip-01 or 1Chip-02 it should have CSYNC if the board is not modified.
yeah I don't have a gamebit at the moment, but I'll order one and check this out
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FBX

Post by FBX »

borti4938 wrote: @FBX: Some serials for your database

S24618018 SNS-CPU-APU-01

UP16478931 SNSP-CPU-02
UP18292763 SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-02

I've never seen a higher serial for a PAL system. So I highly doubt that a SNSP-CPU-1CHIP-03 exists.
Added! Thanks!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

FinalBaton wrote:
borti4938 wrote:Nobody can answer your question / confirm your suggestion as both your cable and the NESRGB are not standard. Just open it; if it is a 1Chip-01 or 1Chip-02 it should have CSYNC if the board is not modified.
yeah I don't have a gamebit at the moment, but I'll order one and check this out
That's kind of the fun of searching for motherboards - it's like an expensive mystery bag toy. It took me a while to get a Genesis without the TMSS this same way.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Einzelherz wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
That's kind of the fun of searching for motherboards - it's like an expensive mystery bag toy. It took me a while to get a Genesis without the TMSS this same way.
I remember when I went ebay hunting for a 1CHIP-03. Looked at over a thousand auctions, picked the highest visible serial number and sniped it. Ended up being a 1CHIP-03 exactly as I hoped, only the bonus was it has the most superb stock RGB picture I have ever seen from a SNES. Looks every bit as sharp as a bypass RGB mod, has ZERO white stripe issue, not to mention a pristine case with nary a scratch on it.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I believe that's how I got my 03 as well. I've found three 01s in local shops though.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Guspaz wrote:I believe the mod you're thinking of is for the SNES Mini (and it was pin 18, not pin 7), but I could be mistaken, I've only directly worked on the Mini.

Ideally, get Voultar's RGB bypass board and wire it up to fully restore all outputs (including csync) as well as better quality RGB.

Failing that, the proper solution, from what I've heard, is to replace a few missing components since csync is technically routed to the multi-out if it weren't for the missing components:

https://console5.com/wiki/SNES#1CHIP-03_CSYNC_Restore
I didn't realize they sold that kit. I'm going to update my page!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I just wanted a 1CHIP, whatever version it is, lol.

Was waiting for one under $80 canadian on ebay so that's why I snagged this particular one last year.

Can't wait to see what version it is. What I know is that the picture quality is amazing, it's one of the best in my console lineup. Super sharp and the colours are great. It does have the white bar though
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FBX

Post by FBX »

Guspaz wrote:
Sold out unfortunately.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I'm not exactly sure of the order of operations here, but Voultar has been teasing a new spin of the board that has some improvements to the pad placement (makes it a bit easier to solder the wires on), so assuming those haven't already gone on sale and sold out, they should theoretically be available before too long.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

FYI, the SNESRGB kits are now back in stock (Voultar is doing waves) as of half an hour ago.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Guspaz wrote:FYI, the SNESRGB kits are now back in stock (Voultar is doing waves) as of half an hour ago.
Does this include an install?
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It would seem so, yes.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Guspaz wrote:FYI, the SNESRGB kits are now back in stock (Voultar is doing waves) as of half an hour ago.
Still sold out. Whenever you go to checkout, there are three asterisks next to the item, and the description says these items are out of stock.