Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thread)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thre

Post by Perikles »

I indulge in another theory post, I promise this to be the last reflection without also posting a score.

- I penitently have to admit that I gravely underestimated the second loop of Parodius Da! despite realizing early on that it is extremely hard. Upon testing a bit further, it is clear to me that you will have to adhere to an impeccable power-up cycle plan after all, you're not going to reliably get past 2-3 without it. Sure, it might happen regardless, the chances are so small it's not even worth the effort, though. If you pick up a green bell for the maze section too early, it will run out just before you're done with it, meaning that you have to get the bell at the perfect opportunity. You could also plan some elaborate scheme that involves some equally immaculate blue capsule placements, effort's the same, unfortunately. And if you decide to go that route you either have to somehow avoid that nasty roulette capsule or (*shudder*) pick it up.

- Jesus, the sudden slowdown diminutions are horrifying. While I found some ways to mostly keep 2-4 in check, 2-6 and 2-10 still elude me, especially 2-6. It's worse than Gradius III AC due to the profoundly delayed suicide bullets from penguin walkers, the game is also rather inconsistent sometimes to where bullets speed up faster than your ship, thus killing you instantly. I'm sure there are ways to manipulate this better, but man, is it taxing.

- I furthermore stumbled upon a little oversight (?). If you kill certain enemies that would drop power-ups even though they aren't on-screen yet (the first red crab in the eight stage for example, or a number of enemies killed by a blue capsule before they fully appear), they don't drop anything. It doesn't reset a bell chain and the game seems to recognize those non-existent drops as though they were real when checking for the point in the power-up cycle, it's obviously rather confusing nonetheless.

Also found some neat cheats for the PS1 version (level select, full power-up). This port only has two loops unlike all the other conversions, it's also stupendously hard. Enemies "only" retaliate with a single suicide bullet all the way to the end (and larger enemies with none whatsoever) and don't fire non-stop, but there are never any slowdowns whatsoever. 2-6 (including the boss!) is fiendishly difficult, they also made 2-7 much harder than the arcade game's equivalent (bloodthirsty bubbles everywhere). Not quite as difficult as the arcade game, yet still harder than pretty much every other classic arcade shooter. Have to say that this is how the arcade game should've been (with the exception of a few attacks/enemies that completely ignore your shield which is not the case in the arcade game), it's much more consistent. I'll nonetheless stick to the original, one mountainous challenge at a time.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Perikles wrote:- I penitently have to admit that I gravely underestimated the second loop of Parodius Da! despite realizing early on that it is extremely hard.
Now that's not something you hear every day! :lol:
Perikles wrote:- I furthermore stumbled upon a little oversight (?). If you kill certain enemies that would drop power-ups even though they aren't on-screen yet (the first red crab in the eight stage for example, or a number of enemies killed by a blue capsule before they fully appear), they don't drop anything. It doesn't reset a bell chain and the game seems to recognize those non-existent drops as though they were real when checking for the point in the power-up cycle, it's obviously rather confusing nonetheless.
I've seen some enemies fail to drop their powerups such as the one on the other side of the roulette capsule in stage 2, but never figured out the cause. That might just be it.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I wonder how much the 32-bit/PSP port of Da! are toned down drastically, is the difficulty around the same portions as the SFC port?

Also does anyone knows the codes for unlock Dracula-kun in PSX Jikkyou?

Sorry for ask a question here.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

copy-paster wrote:I wonder how much the 32-bit/PSP port of Da! are toned down drastically, is the difficulty around the same portions as the SFC port?
Compared to the arcade version, it's mostly the rank system that's more lenient. You can have more than one speed up without the game getting angry at you, and it's like playing through the arcade game with low rank all the way. There's also much less slowdown but that isn't much of a problem in the first loop (the second loop is still really crazy). Point values for bells and some enemies are higher in the 32-bit ports for some reason.
copy-paster wrote:Also does anyone knows the codes for unlock Dracula-kun in PSX Jikkyou?
Do these work?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Parodius Da! (Arcade)
Shepardus - 1,016,800 - 2-1 - Vic Viper

Died four times on the last checkpoint of stage 8 (I barely crossed that checkpoint at my first death; I actually would have preferred recovering from the previous checkpoint!), so I had no lives remaining at the end of the first loop. Was still enough to cross the one-million point threshold though. Too bad I wasn't able to displace Seahawk's score (I had a silly bell drop on the third stage which could have easily made that difference), but at this point I'm happy with any improvement.

The coveted seventh digit has been haunting me for a while now. I've had many runs fall just short of 1 million, either clearing the first loop but with no extra lives for checkpoint-milking and not doing well enough on the second loop, or getting close to the end of the game and losing all my lives at a bad checkpoint (most recently, this from a day ago), or even getting to the end with extra lives and failing the checkpoint milk. Here's just the runs since my last PB a year ago that either scored above 990k or above 900k and died at the last checkpoint (which would mean over 1 million after defeating the boss):
Spoiler
Feb. 18, 2017 - my previous PB which I already posted.

Feb. 19, 2017 - Had one extra life at the end of the first loop, but managed to die on the checkpoint milk.

Mar. 7, 2017 - Somehow managed to die on the last checkpoint (not checkpoint-milking) and didn't have any extra lives.

Mar. 10, 2017 - My current PB with TwinBee.

Nov. 15, 2017 - Another failed checkpoint milk. Somehow the enemies ran through the wall...

Jan. 6, 2018 - Ridiculously close to 1 million just like my previous PB. This was the first time I reached 2-2 and one of my first times getting past the 2-1 opening. There are many ways this could have gone right for a second or two longer, but I managed to screw it up in one of the few ways possible and ran into an enemy (they move ridiculously fast in the second loop).

Jan. 7, 2018 - At this point I was determined to keep playing this until at least until I reached 1 million.

Jan. 9, 2018 - Yet another screwed-up checkpoint milk. It's not even hard, but I've never managed to pull it off in a real run!
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Parodius Da! (Arcade)
Shepardus - 1,055,000 - 2-1 - Vic Viper

Video

Somehow managed to lose all my extra lives in stage 6, but I guess that did have the advantage of keeping my rank low for the rest of the game. Using the shield liberally in stage 10 brought it back up pretty high for the second loop and I had to deal with double suicide bullets almost right from the start, but I still managed to survive longer than usual - this is the second farthest I've gotten in the loop.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Parodius Da! (PSP - PPSSPP v.1.5.4)
Shepardus - 2,500,300 - 2-3 - TwinBee

This was a really weird experience. Feels like they had access to all the graphics and sound effects from the arcade version, but kind of guessed at many of the specific numbers. The stage layouts and enemy spawn locations are all the same, but they behave just differently enough to throw off my muscle memory. Most of it can be attributed to the lack of slowdown and the different rank system, but even accounting for that there's still little differences such as how low the ship in stage 5 descends in that one part, the positions of the trees relative to the houses in stage 4 (in this version the walking tree hangs over the house more so you can't graze it with missiles, while in the arcade version you can if you position them right) and the size of the "dead zone" at the edge of the screen (seems like I can kill enemies before they've visibly entered the screen in this version, while in the arcade version they become targetable a little later). I'm not sure how much of that is inherent to the PSX/Saturn versions, how much of it is due to the PSP conversion, and how much is due to the fact that I was emulating that.

In the PSP version, using the rapid missile button doesn't use bell powers, so you can hold onto red/blue bells and still fire missiles, then trigger the bell powers whenever you want with the regular missile button. Not sure if the PSX or Saturn versions have this behavior.

The differences don't make it a bad game, but it did mess with me enough that I had a lot of trouble getting past the first two stages with Vic Viper and ended up switching to TwinBee and keeping shield on all the time. Still died three times (I think twice in stage 7 and once in stage 9), but checkpoint-milked with my last extra life on the final boss (first time I've actually done that successfully in a run, albeit not on the arcade version!). The difficulty scaling makes a lot more sense than the arcade version's - it's not just that the second loop and rank systems are less insane, but also that some of the easy stages from the arcade version end up harder here (especially stage 7). The scoring balance is kind of wack - the inflated bell values and final boss score make scoring too dependent on those IMO, even though some other enemy point values are also inflated. It's not like the scoring's broken or anything, though. Overall a fun excursion, but I don't think I'm going to bother relearning the game for this version, so this score will be it.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

JIKKYOU OSHABERI PARODIUS
Super Famicom

Kollision - 3,047,300 - 2-5 - Soitsu

Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ Omake 1 (level 4)
Shepardus - 6,829,700 - ALL - Soitsu

Playstation version emulated in ePSXe 2.0.5. Level 4 difficulty (the default). This stage is really fun.

Edit: I also played this on level 7 and level 8, which give higher bonuses for clearing:

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ Omake 1 (level 7)
Shepardus - 8,462,000 - ALL - Soitsu
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/512571211

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ Omake 1 (level 8)
Shepardus - 8,639,100 - ALL - Soitsu
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/512571212
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Mero

Post by Mero »

Good work. Is it more points per life on higher difficulties?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Mero wrote:Good work. Is it more points per life on higher difficulties?
No, it's still 100k per life. There's an additional fixed point bonus for clearing that depends on the difficulty level, though (on the score tally screen, it appears below the life bonus). It's 1 million points for level 4, 2.5 million for level 7, and 3 million for level 8. On the score tally screen, it's the numb
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Neo_Antwon

Post by Neo_Antwon »

Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ (PSX)
Neo_Antwon - 5,086,600 - 3-8 - Ran
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/650819920
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Parodius Da! (Arcade/MAME)
copy-paster - 717,700 - 2-1 - Octopus

First clear hence low score, gameover immediately as soon as first wave of loop 2 enemies spawn :lol:.
Spoiler
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Parodius Da! (Arcade)

Plasmo - 821,500 - 2-1 - Octopus

Played on an original arcade PCB and streamed live. You can watch the run here: LINK

I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Just attempting to clear Sexy, I will see how far I can possibly manage. Decided to play as Ivan. Why not?? Using Auto, the same general principle is at play with Mambo: two options max on stage 1, only one powerup on stage 2 opener to get the speed up, etc.

Sexy Parodius
EmperorIng - 411,000 - 5 - Ivan

RS9 said on my stream that getting/leveling up Alex (to collect coins and munch bullets) raises the rank a lot. Is this true?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Parodius Da! (Arcade)

Plasmo - 1,069,300 - 2-1 - Octopus

Fun part starts now!

Run was streamed live on Twitch. I'm not going to save the vod but if you want, you can check it out for the next few days before it self-destructs.
I like chocolate milk

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I don't think this was the stream I was watching the other day. Congrats! 2-1 looks so ridiculously hard, it's no wonder everyone dies there.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Parodius Da! (Arcade)

Plasmo - 1,311,500 - 2-1 - Octopus - Replay

A small win for Team ASE!

This run was much better! Got to the last boss on no miss and was able to do the double KO four times. Immediately died in 2-1. :? Replay is attached if you're interested.
EmperorIng wrote:I don't think this was the stream I was watching the other day. Congrats! 2-1 looks so ridiculously hard, it's no wonder everyone dies there.
Thanks! 2-1 is pretty difficult indeed. It will take a while before I can move on from here. We'll see.
I like chocolate milk

AKRATEN

Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thread)

Post by AKRATEN »

Sexy Parodius ( Arcade Pcb )
AKraten 661,500 - All - Mambo
Spoiler
Video
https://youtu.be/8FTTIDTk6-s