B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Makinx

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by Makinx »

Alright I checked the service manual. The MX4002 has a non-glass flexible contrast screen. All you need to do according to the manual is the following:

- Removal of contrast screen: Pull the lower edge of the screen outwards (pull from the bottom middle part of the screen).

- Mounting the screen: Fit the screen into the groove on either one of the sides. Bend the screen a little and put the other side into its groove.

No tools required according to the manual. Hope that helps!
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

Makinx wrote:Alright I checked the service manual. The MX4002 has a non-glass flexible contrast screen. All you need to do according to the manual is the following:

- Removal of contrast screen: Pull the lower edge of the screen outwards (pull from the bottom middle part of the screen).

- Mounting the screen: Fit the screen into the groove on either one of the sides. Bend the screen a little and put the other side into its groove.

No tools required according to the manual. Hope that helps!
Thanks very much for checking.

Unfortunately I'm no closer to getting it off. Has anyone done it that can tell me what I'm missing? There's no way to get a purchase on it, my fingers just slip off the tiny flat edge, and there's no space to wedge a screwdriver in :(

Here's what I'm looking at:
http://ahvfx.com/storage/images/mx4002.jpg
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

Did it! Mine was definitely a glass one that can't be bent out. I ended up removing the back, once that was off it was easy to press the tabs holding in the side panel.

I'll post some photos tomorrow showing the difference for anyone that's interested.
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

The TV definitely looks less sexy with the contrast screen removed and the black levels are a fair bit higher in a brightly light room, but overall I'm happy with taking it off as the image is so much brighter.

Dark room

Bright room
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

Glad it all worked out. Funny that yours has a glass screen, contrary to what the manual says. I guess my manual is of a different revision than yours.

I have 2 MX7000's myself at home, also with glass screens. I prefer them with the contrast screen on and with the contrast set a little higher on the set.
Shining

Post by Shining »

Anyone got any experience with the LS/LX series of B&O tv's? They are sexy as hell with that wooden panel.

nem

Post by nem »

I have a LS6000. Unfortunately, it doesn't have that cool wood panel (it's just white).

Also, mine has a busted scart socket, which I need to address at some point.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Hi all,

I'm getting a MX4000 soon along with the floor motorised stand. I've seen videos of owners with their TVs on desks/tables with a mini metal motorised stand however (e.g. https://youtu.be/_kFBe-G6k8M); is this part of the normal floor-standing stand, or is this a separate stand you have to purchase?

If it's cannibalised from the floor stand then great!
Arino

Post by Arino »

I recently got an MX7000 and after watching some YouTube tutorials I was able to switch to AV, I love it!

:wink: It is a great TV, no doubt. So just after I got mine, I accidently saw FutureMatt's video about the de-interlace feature and thought it was too good to be true. I probably own all consoles where you get the chance to enjoy some or all games in interlaced, but I only got one of them (which is the PSX) where the TV is to try its de-interlace mode.

So after entering the secret cheat (menu, picture, go, point away, shift, point back, 7) there is a difference then but it looks like only parts of the picture are 240p then. I've tested it with Tekken 3 which is obviously interlaced if you ask me: Apparently dark colours aren't flickering anymore then but bright colours and white stuff was still flickering.
Then I've tried the de-interlace mode with the PSX memory card manager screen on show, which has only bright colours. Although on this screen I can tell that I activated the de-interlace mode, the image looks still flickery everywhere (because there are only bright colours I guess, just as it looked like when testing the de-interlace funtion with Tekken 3).

Now what does this mean? I remember reading something somewhere that you have to change settings of the MX7000 if the picture quality gets worse when bright stuff is displayed.
Or is my PSX RGB cable just bad?

I really want to make this de-interlace feature work 100%, would make so many games so much better on PS2 etc.

Edit: Is Tekken 3 even interlaced? I can't tell anymore. I think the image on my MX7000 is a bit flickering in general. Even Mega Drive looks a bit flickering. Same Mega Drive with same cable has rock solid 240p on my other TVs.
Is it possible that there are interfering signals in my room which make the picture flickering? I had the same problem with a different TV in the same room but then just thought the other TV was not that great.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Anyone with an MX4000; have you found removing the contrast screen greatly improves the brightness of the TV? Considering taking it off.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

coderkind wrote:Hi all,

I'm getting a MX4000 soon along with the floor motorised stand. I've seen videos of owners with their TVs on desks/tables with a mini metal motorised stand however (e.g. https://youtu.be/_kFBe-G6k8M); is this part of the normal floor-standing stand, or is this a separate stand you have to purchase?

If it's cannibalised from the floor stand then great!
That is a separate stand. One I've never seen, but kind of reminds me of a mini version of the Beovision 1 stand. I've never seen the inside of a normal MX4xxx series stand, so cannot say whether the stand in the video could be homemade from on of those or not.

As for contrast screen, I would never remove mine. I feel the image is plenty bright as is.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

kamiboy wrote:
That is a separate stand. One I've never seen, but kind of reminds me of a mini version of the Beovision 1 stand. I've never seen the inside of a normal MX4xxx series stand, so cannot say whether the stand in the video could be homemade from on of those or not.

As for contrast screen, I would never remove mine. I feel the image is plenty bright as is.
I own both the floor stand stand and the smaller stand in the video. I can confirm the stand in the video is an official, separate product.

Arino wrote:
I recently got an MX7000 and after watching some YouTube tutorials I was able to switch to AV, I love it!

:wink: It is a great TV, no doubt. So just after I got mine, I accidently saw FutureMatt's video about the de-interlace feature and thought it was too good to be true. I probably own all consoles where you get the chance to enjoy some or all games in interlaced, but I only got one of them (which is the PSX) where the TV is to try its de-interlace mode.

So after entering the secret cheat (menu, picture, go, point away, shift, point back, 7) there is a difference then but it looks like only parts of the picture are 240p then. I've tested it with Tekken 3 which is obviously interlaced if you ask me: Apparently dark colours aren't flickering anymore then but bright colours and white stuff was still flickering.
Then I've tried the de-interlace mode with the PSX memory card manager screen on show, which has only bright colours. Although on this screen I can tell that I activated the de-interlace mode, the image looks still flickery everywhere (because there are only bright colours I guess, just as it looked like when testing the de-interlace funtion with Tekken 3).

Now what does this mean? I remember reading something somewhere that you have to change settings of the MX7000 if the picture quality gets worse when bright stuff is displayed.
Or is my PSX RGB cable just bad?

I really want to make this de-interlace feature work 100%, would make so many games so much better on PS2 etc.

Edit: Is Tekken 3 even interlaced? I can't tell anymore. I think the image on my MX7000 is a bit flickering in general. Even Mega Drive looks a bit flickering. Same Mega Drive with same cable has rock solid 240p on my other TVs.
Is it possible that there are interfering signals in my room which make the picture flickering? I had the same problem with a different TV in the same room but then just thought the other TV was not that great.
I have tested the de-interlace feature on 2 different sets, both had the same issue you describe. The picture gets somewhat jittery, while the image is clearly de-interlaced. This is not a problem with your cables or systems, definitely the tv itself. The jitter, I assume, is an interpolation effect because the tv has to display the 240 lines every frame, rather than alternate between half the 480 lines every frame. I suggest testing it out on every game you want and if doesn't work out for that game, just switch back.
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

I have some questions (retarded maybe :lol: ) about geometry :

1. What does the HFQ actually ? Tried different values could not tell the difference
2. What is the difference between EWC and EWP ?

Had to ask because the B&O does not let you use the AV when setting the geometry and there is no illustrated pic of all geometry settings either :P
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

ryuuji wrote:I have some questions (retarded maybe :lol: ) about geometry :

1. What does the HFQ actually ? Tried different values could not tell the difference
2. What is the difference between EWC and EWP ?

Had to ask because the B&O does not let you use the AV when setting the geometry and there is no illustrated pic of all geometry settings either :P
1. Horizontal frequency. You generally don't need to touch this setting, unless your picture is out of sync (rolling distorted picture).
2. East-West Parabola: Adjusting this fixes a keystone distortion.
East-west Corner: Straightens the corners of the screen. Adjust this after EWP.

To be able to adjust the screen in AV, do the following:
- Hook up a device to Scart port 2.
- Go to tv mode and enter the menu from there (the regular one, not the service menu).
- Go to the "Sockets" section, and set AV2 as "Decoder".
- Also set Decoder option to "yes" or "on" (whatever it is).
Now the device you have hooked up will show its picture in tv mode. You can go to the service menu and make your adjustments.
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

Makinx wrote:
1. Horizontal frequency. You generally don't need to touch this setting, unless your picture is out of sync (rolling distorted picture).
2. East-West Parabola: Adjusting this fixes a keystone distortion.
East-west Corner: Straightens the corners of the screen. Adjust this after EWP.

To be able to adjust the screen in AV, do the following:
- Go to tv mode and enter the menu from there (the regular one, not the service menu).
Now the device you have hooked up will show its picture in tv mode. You can go to the service menu and make your adjustments.
Cool. Have to try that :)
But if EWP is fixes keystone distortion, what about EWT ?

It would be great if someone could make a image like this one and adding the B&O service options to the right adjustment

Makinx

Post by Makinx »

EWT is East-West Tilt. It rotates the picture slightly clockwise or counterclockwise.
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

Oki doki. Thanks again.

---edit

Any ideas on how to fix a vertical bow ? pretty small tho' ... left side corners top&bottom a bit flared outwards / right side corners a bit rounded (bulged)
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

Makinx wrote: To be able to adjust the screen in AV, do the following:

lil update on this (sory for double post) : did not work for me. Tried it (ps3 hooked up in AV2 and AV2 as decoder in tv settings) but no picture.
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

You also need to set decoder to yes or on. This is done in the "Tuner" settings.

As for your question about vertical bowing: This can't really be fixed with the available settings in the service menu. Usually, the geometry becomes much better when the inside of the set is serviced (capacitor replacement).
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

I must have a very old B&O then :P no tuner settings for me ... just program list & tv setup (timer/power link/av1/av2/s-vhs)
As for capacitor ... nothing that I can do about. Is not a big distortion luckily :) so until I ll manage to get another (newer) B&O will do just fine :)

Thanks again!
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

coderkind wrote:Anyone with an MX4000; have you found removing the contrast screen greatly improves the brightness of the TV? Considering taking it off.
I took mine off and it made things considerably brighter (I felt like I was looking at the screen through sunglasses with it on), see my pictures in an earlier post. I did find in a lit room however it made the blacks grey and it definitely made the tv less attractive not having a covering panel, seeing the grey screen raw. I've settled on I think the best mid way point- I ordered a piece of transparent perspex with a light grey tint (495mm x 365mm, 3mm thick, polished edges) and for me it's made the tv perfect. The blacks are much better than with nothing on but the picture isn't overly dimmed.

Here's a picture before I put it in (perspex on the left, nothing in the centre, original contrast screen on the right)
Daytime Dreamer

Post by Daytime Dreamer »

I know it's just me but I personally like the contrast screen. I always turn down the contrast quite a bit on all my monitors. Mid-way through is the ideal point personally.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Rikrok wrote:
coderkind wrote:Anyone with an MX4000; have you found removing the contrast screen greatly improves the brightness of the TV? Considering taking it off.
I took mine off and it made things considerably brighter (I felt like I was looking at the screen through sunglasses with it on), see my pictures in an earlier post. I did find in a lit room however it made the blacks grey and it definitely made the tv less attractive not having a covering panel, seeing the grey screen raw. I've settled on I think the best mid way point- I ordered a piece of transparent perspex with a light grey tint (495mm x 365mm, 3mm thick, polished edges) and for me it's made the tv perfect. The blacks are much better than with nothing on but the picture isn't overly dimmed.

Here's a picture before I put it in (perspex on the left, nothing in the centre, original contrast screen on the right)
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting. Both variations without the contrast screen look a lot better to me. Unfortunately I've my set next to a Sony BVM, so it's always going to compare unfavourably, but the picture is just too dim with that contrast screen I think.

So did you just stick the perspex to the front? Does it look ok (considering), and have you noticed any light gun impact regarding accuracy?
Rikrok

Post by Rikrok »

coderkind wrote: Thanks for going to the trouble of posting. Both variations without the contrast screen look a lot better to me. Unfortunately I've my set next to a Sony BVM, so it's always going to compare unfavourably, but the picture is just too dim with that contrast screen I think.

So did you just stick the perspex to the front? Does it look ok (considering), and have you noticed any light gun impact regarding accuracy?
The perspex is a replacement of the contrast screen, so I took the original contrast screen out (by removing the back of the tv which let's you easily pop off a side panel) and then slotted the perspex in where it was. Because it has a slight flex it bends enough so it matches exactly to what was there before. It looks great, I'll take a photo over the weekend.

No impact on light gun performance (played Duck Hunt for the first time in my life earlier this week, something my childhood had missed!)
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

coderkind wrote: Thanks for going to the trouble of posting. Both variations without the contrast screen look a lot better to me. Unfortunately I've my set next to a Sony BVM, so it's always going to compare unfavourably, but the picture is just too dim with that contrast screen I think.

This is why display models of tv's are always set to maximum contrast. People are attracted to popping, bright colors, whether those are accurate or not.
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

Makinx wrote:

This is why display models of tv's are always set to maximum contrast. People are attracted to popping, bright colors, whether those are accurate or not.
You're not necessarily after accuracy in a video game though, right? You want big, bold, popping colours (hence HDR, etc).
Makinx

Post by Makinx »

HDR is designed to provide greater accuracy in luminance compared to the human eye, not to make video games prettier (although that would be a welcome effect).

Why would you not be after accuracy in video games? Didn't the designers specifically pick the colors of their games?
Pietze

Post by Pietze »

Hello everyone!

I'm really curious if you can help me out here for a second: I'm from Germany and I bought a MX4000 two weeks ago. Unfortunately, this crt is an older version, so it's just firmware 1.3 and on the back it's written "50hz" instead of "50/60hz".

But I discovered, that this MX4000 plays NTSC games just fine! I asked Google and I really can't find out, if this could damage the TV.

The thing is: I've found another MX4000 with firmware 4.3 and 50/60hz label. I'm just not sure if I should spend the money for that newer model, because I'm quite happy with the old MX4000.

Any thoughts?
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

Pietze wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm really curious if you can help me out here for a second: I'm from Germany and I bought a MX4000 two weeks ago. Unfortunately, this crt is an older version, so it's just firmware 1.3 and on the back it's written "50hz" instead of "50/60hz".

But I discovered, that this MX4000 plays NTSC games just fine! I asked Google and I really can't find out, if this could damage the TV.

The thing is: I've found another MX4000 with firmware 4.3 and 50/60hz label. I'm just not sure if I should spend the money for that newer model, because I'm quite happy with the old MX4000.

Any thoughts?

I think SW lower than 3.1 won't let you access the service menu by remote and picture it s slightly inferior on the lowest SW....
ryuuji

Post by ryuuji »

I ve heard many people praising the de-interlace option of B&O MX series TVs but personally I think it's useless because the image feels like is shaking. Is it just me ? Does it have something to do with V.Hold adjustment ? (note: image is not shaking when playing 240p games)
Also I ve seen some youtube videos where they were adjusting geometry on a Toshiba TV. They did something and they activated 1 centered horizontal line and 1 centered vertical line. Is that possible on B&O TVs also ?