Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cj iwakura

Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

Post by cj iwakura »

https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/861633541582532612

I can't fricking believe it.

For the unfamiliar, this one was 'localized' as Mobile Light Force 2 and had all the story stripped out of it.

Image Image

All dialogue was removed. I had to spearhead a fan translation just to play it in English.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shikig ... kigami.htm
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
NeoStrayCat

Re: Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, there's its own topic, lol. But yeah, to the uninitiated, never pick up MLF 2, lol.

Anyways, I doubt Degica is willing to do their own translation, than use some of your bits from the fan translation, but I guess we'll wait and see next week on more info about it.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
KAI

Post by KAI »

They are publishing the original? why the fuck?!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

KAI wrote:They are publishing the original? why the fuck?!
Well, why not, other than not being properly/officially translated. I mean, CJ's fan translation was the only way back in the day, I'm surprised it takes this long to have it in English in an official capacity, lol.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

If they decide to use your fan translation, make sure they pay you! :wink:

Shiki 2 is great fun; I'd love to see what the original is like. Can we get a Shiki 2-esque fandub as well?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Dipping deep into the well, I see.

Somebody find out what happened to the Twinkle Soft guys and grab their licenses, namely Rally Raid and Barrage Tribe.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

So it's Shikigami no Shiro, huh? The games already have a PC version, so I guess they can base this newest port on that, though Shikigami no Shiro 3's PC port can't work on Win7 anymore unless you disable a Windows security thingy [EDIT : Actually, if I read that correctly it doesn't work on later Windows OSes at all but can be played in Win7 by deactivating the thing] so there would be that to fix. (besides, Shiki 3's PC port does not feature the Dramatic Change Mode)

@NickPalmer : Will the game have new modes or modes that were in other ports of the game compared to the previous PC port?
For information, the PC port, called Shikigami no Shiro EX, features the arcade version as well as an I.R. mode with tweaked enemy patterns. And from what I gathered, the Xbox port had an Evolution mode but I don't know if it is the same as the PC port's IR mode.
Maybe they plan to port all three anyway? But if they had to choose only one Shiki game, 2 or 3 would clearly have been better. I don't dislike Shiki 1, but it is not as refined as its follow-ups IMO.
Last edited by M.Knight on Tue May 09, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I have this via Mobile Light Force 2 and was never that impressed with it. Shikigami 2 is so much more fun to play. But nice to see something somewhat obscure come out, hopefully we'll get to Shikigami 3 eventually - a PAL release never turned up for that.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

EmperorIng wrote:If they decide to use your fan translation, make sure they pay you! :wink:

Shiki 2 is great fun; I'd love to see what the original is like. Can we get a Shiki 2-esque fandub as well?
I'd be happy if they used it just to ensure a good translation, I wouldn't want a dime.

Also, Shiki 1 has no VA apart from the battle quips. We did fandub that, though. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xco7dD1pmzM
Cata

Post by Cata »

Have never played a Shikigami no Shiro game so I'll definitely be checking this one out
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Shiki 1 isn't my favorite game, but I'll pick this up regardless. RIP my Mobile Light Force 2 disc.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

The graphics are going to be a little rough to swallow. It was a Taito G-Net game, so basically PS1 hardware.

Other than that, I've played it a few times in MAME and it's enjoyable, so looking forward to it!
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Yessss! :D :D :D
I thought so many times how cool it would be to have the Shikigami no Shiro series remastered for PC.
I really love 2 and 3.
Hopfully they include those other game modes from xbox etc. and maybe also put some new into the game(s).
Maybe they also can rebalance the gameplay a bit too.
And I hope the game(s) will have high (internal) resolutions, anti aliasing modes, anistrophic filtering, new HD textures, new light/shadow effects etc. and all those lovely hand drawn pictures also in HD.
Oh and TATE mode!
Don´t forget some nice wallpapers :mrgreen:

Please make this as good as it can be! I never thought I would like this game series that much, but I do :D .
The i especially like the music of the secound game.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Now that was a surprise!
Image Image Image Image
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, guess I spoke too soon. Seems Degica has mentioned "Complete New Translation" for Castle of Shikigami on Steam. So that means probably nothing from CJ's fan translation may get used, but the text dialogue I assume though may be mostly the same in the new translation. (Of course, that means the rest of CoS that the fan translation didn't finish [Endings, menu options, gallery] will get proper translations soon.)

https://twitter.com/DegiGames/status/862392799068663808
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Well, we did finish the endings. :P The rest was a pain, though, yeah.

I'm glad it's happening, it's not a very long script. I just hope it's in good hands.

If it's not, I'll know. :P
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

What's your opinion of the Shikigami 2 dub/script?

Personally, I think it borders on avant-garde. Like non-stop slam-poetry in my face.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

EmperorIng wrote:What's your opinion of the Shikigami 2 dub/script?

Personally, I think it borders on avant-garde. Like non-stop slam-poetry in my face.
In regards to the seriousness of the story? It's insulting. They made Kohtaro's brother sound like a drunk surfer dude when it should be a traumatic experience for him. The comedic stuff is appropriately ridiculous, but it has no respect for when things get real.

It's kind of Shiki tradition; first few stages are silly, dead serious near the end. Even the often ridiculous Shiki 3 has some heavy scenes with Tsukiko, assuming you're playing certain campaigns.

That said, the Aja Brothers have amazing voices. Look Bro! His eyes! EVIL!
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

Since I can't answer most of the questions yet (more info coming next week though, promise), I will just say that I really like Hyuga's "bomb". The whole turn into a wolf and attack every enemy on the screen is a neat effect.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

NickPalmerDegica wrote:Since I can't answer most of the questions yet (more info coming next week though, promise), I will just say that I really like Hyuga's "bomb". The whole turn into a wolf and attack every enemy on the screen is a neat effect.
You'll notice Fumiko's butler(Munchausen) has a different appearance every time she summons him to do her Shiki attack.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

cj iwakura wrote:

In regards to the seriousness of the story? It's insulting. They made Kohtaro's brother sound like a drunk surfer dude when it should be a traumatic experience for him. The comedic stuff is appropriately ridiculous, but it has no respect for when things get real.

It's kind of Shiki tradition; first few stages are silly, dead serious near the end. Even the often ridiculous Shiki 3 has some heavy scenes with Tsukiko, assuming you're playing certain campaigns.

Especially if you're playing as Kohtaro. His ending has him crying in Sayo's arms.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

M.Knight wrote:So it's Shikigami no Shiro, huh? The games already have a PC version, so I guess they can base this newest port on that, though Shikigami no Shiro 3's PC port can't work on Win7 anymore unless you disable a Windows security thingy [EDIT : Actually, if I read that correctly it doesn't work on later Windows OSes at all but can be played in Win7 by deactivating the thing] so there would be that to fix. (besides, Shiki 3's PC port does not feature the Dramatic Change Mode)

@NickPalmer : Will the game have new modes or modes that were in other ports of the game compared to the previous PC port?
For information, the PC port, called Shikigami no Shiro EX, features the arcade version as well as an I.R. mode with tweaked enemy patterns. And from what I gathered, the Xbox port had an Evolution mode but I don't know if it is the same as the PC port's IR mode.
Maybe they plan to port all three anyway? But if they had to choose only one Shiki game, 2 or 3 would clearly have been better. I don't dislike Shiki 1, but it is not as refined as its follow-ups IMO.
Shiki 3's retail release on PC does use SafeDisc.
I wouldn't mind seeing all three. I'd buy them all, especially to have a Shiki 3 that runs on Win10. The first one is decent, but the series does kick up with subsequent entries.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

xxx1993 wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:

Especially if you're playing as Kohtaro. His ending has him crying in Sayo's arms.
Tsukiko was introduced in the visual novel that came out before Shiki 3, Nanayozuki Gensoukyoku, so most probably had no clue who she was or why she's so important to Kohtaro.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

All we know is that Tsukiko was Kohtaro's childhood friend.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

xxx1993 wrote:All we know is that Tsukiko was Kohtaro's childhood friend.
And she's hospitalized in the real world for some reason, and she has designs on him(she's clearly furious about his attachment to Sayo).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

M.Knight wrote:So it's Shikigami no Shiro, huh? The games already have a PC version, so I guess they can base this newest port on that, though Shikigami no Shiro 3's PC port can't work on Win7 anymore unless you disable a Windows security thingy [EDIT : Actually, if I read that correctly it doesn't work on later Windows OSes at all but can be played in Win7 by deactivating the thing] so there would be that to fix. (besides, Shiki 3's PC port does not feature the Dramatic Change Mode)
It works the same on Windows 8 as on Windows 7.

You can get it working in Windows 10 too by using a Windows 8 version of the secdrv.sys driver, self signing it and running Windows 10 in test mode. It's a bit complicated though, so maybe don't try unless you know what you're doing.

Shikigami no Shiro III runs pretty well with dgVoodoo2 allowing you to play the game in higher resolutions than the game supported.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I have a Win7 OS and gave kane's solution a go. I can confirm it works pretty well. :D
As I don't have neither 8 nor 10, I can't test your fix ZellSF, but it is pretty nice if it also works.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Wonder why she's hospitalized? Is it shown what happened to her in the visual novel, and how Sayo merged with Sazae?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

xxx1993 wrote:Wonder why she's hospitalized? Is it shown what happened to her in the visual novel, and how Sayo merged with Sazae?
No idea TBH. I guess it's the 'sickly childhood friend' trope. I assume Sayo's state has something to do with her suicidal tendencies after clearing 1/2.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Man, I really wish they made a Castle of Shikigami IV.