... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
cj iwakura

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by cj iwakura »

This brightened my morning(even though I just ruined it):

heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Got one of those PC support scammers for the first time in many years. Strung him along for a bit, because it is tedious Saturday afternoon filing receipts. :3 I could swear it was the same guy in that video... I didn't even prod him much before he cursed me out @ 3 minutes, though! Sanjeet pls! o_o Dude asked me to hit CTRL+WIN+R, asked what I saw and I guessed "registry" (lolol) then "DIBUDABUgfhl;khdg U MODER FOCKER U fgasdfgasd WASU MY TIME sagasd MOST SHAMEFERU" *click*

How rude! :O I certainly wouldn't deal with them again! Maybe they're learning? >_>

I wonder if these clowns get the implications of "motherfucker" - the way they whip it out is so amusingly quaint, like they're calling you "buster" or "wiseguy." I didn't even have time to give the always reliable response of "Keep your mother off the street and I won't fuck her." 3:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Final Fantasy III love from byuu himself:

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/825794449557053444
byuu wrote:@byuu_san @trap0xf (maybe blasphemy toward Judgment Silversword, but yeah. FF3 is my favorite Final Fantasy game.)
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

I'm guessing this is a "fuck these people, let's pad out this set so i can hit my agreed upon playing time and get paid" type situation?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

brokenhalo wrote:
I'm guessing this is a "fuck these people, let's pad out this set so i can hit my agreed upon playing time and get paid" type situation?
I'm guessing it's a take on DJs following the tradition of shred videos on YouTube. Like people would dance along like that to the musical equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes for that long, whooping and cheering for his "advanced delay skills" mid through. I hope you've seen some shred videos, like Beach Boys Shred I Get Around or Michael Bolton and Kenny G shred, if not, you're missing out.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

A quiet Sunday morning reading some news, listening to chill beats, coffee, and a little smoke.

Going to head into the city later and meet friends for some cards.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

emphatic wrote:Beach Boys Shred I Get Around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYc4DT18EJg

Fucking dying at this. :lol:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

The clapping bit always get me.
rancor

Post by rancor »

BIL wrote:

OMG. People here in my office are pounding the walls laughing at this.. Thank you.. The clapping is the greatest.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

rancor wrote:
BIL wrote:

OMG. People here in my office are pounding the walls laughing at this.. Thank you.. The clapping is the greatest.
This is gold. It makes them seem even more insane, if that's possible.
Mike Love taking his leg off the bumper at 0.54 https://youtu.be/xYc4DT18EJg?t=54 and remembering that his modesty is not catered for in those pantaloons never gets old and is even more ridiculous without the music. Doesn't know whether to clap, cover himself or put his leg back on the car.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just noticed my directorial debut was auto-listed as "Mugen." Aww. ^__^ I'm honoured! Ain't no mugen though - that's MSpaint and Audacity, baby!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So in that old house I've acquired last year there's that huge, nearly 100 years old (I think), kinda proto-art-deco solid wood wardrobe that's really been in the way of the renovation work I'm doing.
I was set on chopping and throwing it away since nobody would take it even for free (too big), but this morning I've changed my mind and decided to modify it so it can be moved around the room and actually be used to put stuff in it.
Succeeded after nearly the whole day sawing and nailing the shit out of it, no damage to the style and once cleaned it's really great.
:D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Xyga wrote:So in that old house I've acquired last year there's that huge, nearly 100 years old (I think), kinda proto-
Was more than half-expecting some godawful Lovecraftian creepy-crawly, from your wildlife tales over the last while. :shock: :wink:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Okay fixed. :p
Xyga wrote:So in that old house I've acquired last year there's that huge, nearly 100 years old (I think), kinda proto-spider. Its guarding a nest about the size of my head.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

From the latest release of MAME:
New working software list additions
-----------------------------------

[...]

ibm5150:
Golden Axe, Home Alone, Prince of Persia v1.0 [ArcadeShadow]
Spoiler
Not so much that it's working - DOSBox has been running it fine for ages - as the fact that they bothered for the 5150. The game is barely playable on a 286, let alone an 8088...
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Xyga wrote:So in that old house I've acquired last year there's that huge, nearly 100 years old (I think), kinda proto-art-deco solid wood wardrobe that's really been in the way of the renovation work I'm doing.
I was set on chopping and throwing it away since nobody would take it even for free (too big), but this morning I've changed my mind and decided to modify it so it can be moved around the room and actually be used to put stuff in it.
Succeeded after nearly the whole day sawing and nailing the shit out of it, no damage to the style and once cleaned it's really great.
:D
Sounds remarkable, would love to see it.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Stevens wrote:Sounds remarkable, would love to see it.
It's not really, would only fetch 100~200 bucks at a flea. And the 'deco' part is probably not what you think (only some lines/curves/groves of the pillar-corners etc).
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

As a connoisseur of feral autism, I am enjoying this "AngryMGTOW" fellow a great deal. ¦3 He threatens his internet enemy's children, then melts down into violent self-pitying histrionics when caught! I just hope this crazy sperg keeps it to the internet. :O
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Loving Xyga's Tardis.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It can only send me back to when it was manufactured. :(
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

That's a nice piece, thanks for posting and enjoy it.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I'm over a month late to the news, but the future of video game history is here, and his name is Felipe Pepe.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/FelipePe ... istory.php
Felipe Pepe wrote:One thing that always bothered me is that whenever we casually talk about video game history, what we usually end up with is something like this:

A timeline divided into console generations, showing the big console and game releases. Cool.

But where's the Apple II, C64. Amiga, Spectrum ZX and the IBM PCs? Where are world-changing technologies like CD-ROMs, smartphones, the mouse or the Internet?

Sadly, video game history is often "abridged". This is just a graph, of course, but even in the narrative of mainstream websites we rarely hear anything on the history of pre-Windows 95 computers.
The console bias is something that becomes increasingly obvious the deeper one attempts to dig into the gaming canon, and while Felipe's list isn't perfect (for one, NEC and MSX computers are overlooked), it's a hell of a lot better than 99% of the half-assed "gaming chronology" you find online.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Maybe that sort of work is lacking in the english language but there's quite a bit of associations, clubs, festivals, websites, publications etc that don't discriminate the two 'cultures'.
(though I have to admit youtube shit has kind of taken over, I see much less retrogaming events and books around now, compared to even just 3~5 years ago)
guigui

Post by guigui »

Xyga wrote:
Stevens wrote:Sounds remarkable, would love to see it.
It's not really, would only fetch 100~200 bucks at a flea. And the 'deco' part is probably not what you think (only some lines/curves/groves of the pillar-corners etc).
Spoiler
While I would definitely not use those kind of furnitures in a whole house, I think one or two of those in some bedrooms really helps enhance the whole style of your home.
France is currently in the full fashion of over-priced-modern-retro-furnituring, but the real pieces that have gone through the years are the best, enjoy yours.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Xyga wrote: (though I have to admit youtube shit has kind of taken over, I see much less retrogaming events and books around now, compared to even just 3~5 years ago)
Really? I feel there are more than ever. you have stuff like Bitmapbooks and Kickstater sprawling with game books (most of them coincidentally centered on European computer systems), and I just returned from the huge "Retrospelsmässan" in Sweden which had 3-4000 attendants, something I would have never thought possible previously.
I also feel like the console bias only exists when you actually hang out around console and arcade gamers who grew up with those, which makes perfect sense. I know a lot of people who grew up with C64 and Amiga, and they have their own highly active communities. It's only recent that really big console-oriented "retro events" have started showing up, while 10-20 years ago the big ones were all Commodore-oriented.
I wouldn't trust a video game "historian" to even comment on something outside of his own field though. I could tell you a lot about Data East or Natsume, but I wouldn't trust me to relay the history of The Last Ninja.

With that in mind, this guy is obviously just as biased. I wouldn't be able to tell the full history of videogames and completely omit even realising the existance of PC-88 or PC-Engine, that just seems absurd to me. Also notice how "arcade games" in articles like this is almost always redelegated to a single "generation" that existed in the 70s and early 80s.

I kind of feel like this subject warrants its own thread.

Also, as a final comment, this may show some of my own bias, but I always felt like the video game side of those classic European computer systems is almost solely important for historical (and nostalgic) reasons, showing the ambitions and creativity of early game developers, but very rarely actually offering truly solid and timeless gameplay experiences that still stand strong today. There's a reason Super Mario Bros. is still held in high regard, while people will mainly bring up Shadow of the Beast for its parallax scrolling.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

It only recently dawned on me how great it is to place your taskbar to the side on a 1080p monitor. Less space wasted, windowed games are unlikely to overlap with your taskbar, and it gets easier to read vertically-oriented sites.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.