Override/Last Battalion [PCE/X68000]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Override/Last Battalion [PCE/X68000]

Post by Perikles »

Technically not really viable for scoring; not only does the game loop forever (with a minimal increase in difficulty when entering loop 2, which is also the peak of its challenge), you could furthermore milk at least one of the bosses indefinitely without even being present. However, I've been mulling over creating this thread for quite a while now and feel remorseful for not having done so, Override certainly deserves a bit more recognition. As I said earlier:

Anyway, I do think that Override is an energetic, fun little shooter tailor-made for this system. It has a distinct "Soldier" feeling to it, indulges in mass destruction and flows in an unabating stream of action. The eponymous charge shot is neither necessary nor particularly efficacious yet decidedly delightful in its application nonetheless - who doesn't want to unfetter a devastating gout of flame whose reverberations devour both foes and projectiles, after all? In fact, I would've wished for a higher difficulty setting/increasingly more difficult loops where enemies retaliate with suicide bullets so that you are actually forced to use the charge shot for erasing bullets. Merely boosting the resilience of bosses doesn't make for an interesting change for later loops and the game is very easy as is. Doesn't change the fact that it's a thoroughly pleasurable game, though! This is the right way to create an undemanding shooter in my book: while the parameters (extend scheme, health bar) are generous, the action is uncompromised - the exigency might not be real, but it feels very much so. You're constantly moving around, doing things, not bothered by the fact that you're not really challenged.

As such, here's the format:

Version
Name - Score - Stage

PCE

Code: Select all

Name         Score     Stage       
1. Perikles    9,999,990   6-ALL     
X68000

Code: Select all

Name         Score     Stage      
Perikles

Re: Override/Last Battalion [PCE/X68000]

Post by Perikles »

PCE

Perikles - 9,999,990 - 6-ALL

Here's my counterstop score I got a while ago. Once the score is maxed out, every time you gain points, you also earn an extend, the counter constantly rolls over. I wonder what happens if you die at the moment the counter is at 0, didn't dare to try it out. I had to get an appropriate picture at the final boss where I had the maximum amount of lives, of course, finishing loop 6 with style. 8)