RQ: DDP shot rate?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Zhon

RQ: DDP shot rate?

Post by Zhon »

BER's site has info on laser damage per frame and damage per shot, but I was curious as to how many frames it takes per shot (maximum, don't worry if there's too many shots on screen).

Why? Sometimes it seems that hitting with all of your shots point blank might be even more powerful than the laser, but I'm not sure.
TVG

Post by TVG »

its not worth it.

if you can point blank with the shot, you can point blank with the laser.
and the laser aura does double damage.
so here goes.
Zhon

Post by Zhon »

Err, I meant sort of close where you can hit with all your shots but not close enough to laser-aura. There's a huge difference in time you have to dodge despite being only a short distance away.
Gopher's Ambition

Post by Gopher's Ambition »

Sometimes: it depends.

See, the laser does a bit of damage on contact... while an individual shot will do a large chunk of damage on contact. Because of this, initially the shot is more powerful. But not for very long... soon the Laser will match and overtake the damage rate, probably within a second or less.

The difference is most notable with the Needle blasting ships on Level 3. If you hit them with the Laser, there is a hesitation before they explode. Yet, if you hit them with the shot, they explode instantly.

However... with most enemies that have bigger health, the Laser will kill them quicker, even if you don't apply the Aura.