As my hero Pepe Hare once said: "Good job, keep up the good work!"
seraph

Re: Raiden

Post by seraph »

ヽ(゚∀゚)ノ━( ゚∀)ノ━(  ゚)ノ━ヽ(  )ノ━ヽ(゚  )━ヽ(∀゚ )ノ━ヽ(゚∀゚)ノ
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

PEG - 3,995,680 - 2-3 - 2p - auto on - shmupmame 4.2 - Japanese version with checkpoints on

This version with checkpoints is pretty silly. A death anywhere after the first few levels is essentually a game over in disguise. What the fuck were they thinking with putting checkpoints in this game? US version is much better without checkpoints but I don't consider scores on on that version to be "legit". It's way easier since you not only respawn immediately, have invincibility upon respawn, but you also get a P powerup 100% of the time when you die fully powered. The Japanese version only tosses you a few powerups on checkpoint respawn, and that's only if you got the fairy.

I also had some graphical bugs when I killed the stage 3 boss, so there was a box sitting on the screen throughout the entire run. Will probably try to do another run and break 4M.
Last edited by pegboy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

pegboy wrote:I also had some graphical bugs when I killed the stage 3 boss, so there was a box sitting on the screen throughout the entire run.
Welcome to the club!

And yeah, since Raiden is essentially a Toaplan wannabe, the checkpoint system of JP versions is just as silly as games like Daisenpuu, Kyuukyoku Tiger or Same! Same! Same!.
seraph

Post by seraph »

Nice score!!! I actually stopped playing because of the graphical bug. I like the checkpoint system because it forces players to improve, but yes, this is pretty much a one life game and recovering is nearly impossible. :3
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

On the other hand, you can abuse checkpoints for some nice pointage in 1-6. Which is pretty miserable. Don't do that.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Arcade version- normal difficulty

maximo-704,230-1-5- 2P-Yes- MAMEUIFX 0.168 ( no startback us set 1)

http://imgur.com/qnwkLht

Barely started doing full runs after some practice. The graphical bug from the stage 3 boss pretty much screwed up the run, since there was like 5/6 boxes on the screen, making visibility a huge issue.

However, getting a 1 loop clear is defintely possible; just gotta keep practicing!

Edit:
maximo-865,670-1-6-2P-Yes-MAMEUIFX 0.168( no startback us set 1)

first time getting past the stage 5 boss; got destroyed by a small tank in middle of stage 6.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Arcade - Normal
Vludi - 3,086,870 - 2-3 - 2P - No - Mame (No start Back)

Loop 2 sniper tanks are nasty :(
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Arcade-normal

maximo- 1,656,120-2-0-2P-Yes-MAMEUIFX 0.168 ( no startback us set 1)

Holy shit this fuckin game. I finally got one decent run, and then die in stg 7, trying to recover the whole time, and then game overed partway through stage 8. Once I get a bigger break, I'll get more time to practice and get the clear......
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Arcade - Normal difficulty

Perikles - 4,152,460 - 2-4 - 2P - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (set 1)

Video

Figured I'd return to this game after the discussion about the checkpoint version, especially since I didn't record a video of my first clear. Managed a NMNB for the first loop and recovered a few times in loop 2 (after a pitiful death on the 2-2 boss, no less), could've reached 2-5 if not for vanity and lust for glory during the 2-4 boss fight. So much for impossible checkpoints. :P

Anyway, I still think that the first Raiden is decidedly mild compared to II and DX no matter which version you play. I don't mean that as a slight, quite the opposite. Raiden is a thoroughly enjoyable game with a couple of decently challenging stages at the end while II's and DX's third stage is about the point when those games become harder than that which is rather excessive. I also continue to deem the checkpoint version and the no-checkpoint version of Raiden to be very similar in difficulty except for the final boss where you can still try to get into the safespot without checkpoints if you mess up the first time.
seraph

Post by seraph »

Congratulations on your progress. You've finally bested me at Raiden! ^_^ Your only competition now is the one, the only, Saucykobold. :D
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

PC Engine version

Perikles - 4,057,850 - 2-7 - 1P - Yes - PC Engine Duo-R

Turns out you can store more than seven bombs in this port as well, it's not exclusive to the PCE CD version! I'm also curious why both PCE conversions become so mad at you for picking the blue laser, it seems like an incredibly mean choice: most of the time, you're switching to the laser by accident during a stage; essentially doubling the bullet speed as a punishment for having to work with a suboptimal weapon against so many foes is really harsh.

Clean run overall, I probably didn't have to use so many bombs on the seventh boss in hindsight, the semi-safespot in the upper right corner should work in this version, too, I'd wager, was too afraid to risk the run. Made a few recoveries in loop 2 after dying in 2-1 for the first time (thanks to picking up a laser...), quite pleased with how that turned out. Didn't remember that the game was this choppy, 's all good, though.
kidpanda

Raiden

Post by kidpanda »

Kidpanda - 3,429,000 - 2-3? - PCE
Spoiler
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Arcade - Normal - 2P
Square_Air - 2,972,410 - 2-2 - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (Fabtek/US)

Video

I knew this game could cheat you out of bombs and medals, but in this run it just straight up devoured a full power up. Savage.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Arcade Normal
M.Knight - 224.750 - 1-3 - 10Hz - ShmupMAME v4.2
Spoiler
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

SFC Densetsu - Normal Difficulty

Perikles - 9,999,999 - ALL! - 1P - Yes - SD2SNES

Turns out this is not just a terrible conversion, but there's also a trick to get a counterstop, though I have to give 2a03 the credits for figuring that one out. I suppose this makes the US SNES version the, uh, superior one since they removed the glitch in that one.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Bwahaha. Should I just remove the table for this then? Might as well.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Your call, naturally. Getting the "trick" to work requires a bit of timing, which is more than several other 16-bit shmups necessitate, but it wouldn't be a huge loss to remove it altogether. Whatever you deem appropriate. I'd just keep it myself for technical reasons, that's merely a propensity of mine.
Bloody

Post by Bloody »

Arcadeversion

BLO - 1,425,130 - 1- 7 - 2P - Yes - PCB

Please rename my old name PlasmaBlood to BLO in all versions of the game

i became today a raiden PCB and i love it.i played in 1991 in the Arcade some runs.The problem was the arcade was to far away from us

https://www.restartsyndrome.com/userimg ... 102122.jpg
Nguyen Vinh Loc

Post by Nguyen Vinh Loc »

First clear after two years of playing with save states
Playstation - Major
Vinh Loc - 2,987,740 - 2-3 - 2P - Yes - The Raiden Project
Video is on Facebook this time around, i've put it public
https://www.facebook.com/loc.nguyenvinh ... 78/?type=3
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Arcade - Normal - 2P
KoopaTGR - 1,168,060 - 1-6 - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (No start back)
Lags

Post by Lags »

Arcade - Normal
Lags - 2,956,760 - 2-2 - 2P - Auto on - shmupmame v4.2 - [US version set 1]

Inp File: Shmupmame v4.2
Video
Finally cleared this bad boy.
Lags

Post by Lags »

Arcade - Normal
Lags - 4,616,800 - 3-0 - 2P - Auto on - shmupmame v4.2 - [US version set 1]

Input file replay

That was brutal and unexpected, didn't think I'd get so far. Accidentally triggered the graphical glitch at 2-3 boss, wasn't too bad but still annoying visually.
Lags

Post by Lags »

Arcade - Normal
Lags - 7,240,160 - 3-2 - 2P - Auto on - shmupmame v4.2 - [US version set 1]

Inp
Video Replay, with better video quality
Finally got the 2-All, and didn't activate any graphical glitches this time. Fun game, except the seventh stage is too frustrating and hectic tbh.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

Not sure where to put this, but in Raiden Trad (Genesis) there is a hidden difficulty called "Free" in the options menu. It is enabled by entering PAR codes 000858:0003 + 00086C:0003.

From what I can tell, "Free" is Hard mode except it also applies the rules of the special stage to the entire game, meaning that enemies have roughly 4x health. This makes an already difficult game insanely difficult and is the ultimate Raiden challenge. After a few tries I got 138900 in this mode, getting close to the end of Stage 2.
atro_city

Post by atro_city »

After many countless hours of grinding and revising strategies, I have finally 1CCed Raiden on Turbografx 16/PC Engine (HuCard version). I died on the final checkpoint of Stage 8, but the fairy saved the run and gave me just enough firepower and bombs to take out the Stage 8 boss before he attaches to the base at the top. I have never recovered from this checkpoint without a fairy so that was definitely a tense moment.

3,146,250 - 2-5 - 1P (is there even an option to play as 2P?) - PCE Duo - Autofire on

Phew...I can finally put down the TG16 and move on to another version of Raiden to get my ass kicked at.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Interesting code, added to the first post.

Sorry about that, for some reason I assumed all the other Raiden conversions let you start a game with the player 2 controller like the FM Towns one does... even though they're all by different devs.
NMS

Post by NMS »

Arcade - Normal - 2P
NMS - 2,682,040 - 2-3 - Yes - ShmupMAME v4.2 (set 2 without checkpoints)

https://youtu.be/VmGKGH4tMUw
SPM

Post by SPM »

Arcade - Normal - 2P
SPM - 3,073,120 - 2-2 - Yes - MAME (Set 2)

Spoiler
Great game! It has grown on me a lot despite not liking it too much in the past. Hishouzame was the "bridge" that has led me to appreciate and enjoy this particular gameplay style :D (now I'm hooked)
Last edited by SPM on Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Congrats, pretty sure I'd hate the game even more if I could actually fucking clear it properly though. Raiden is such a twisted distortion of one of the already distorted Toaplan titles (Kyukyoku Tiger) that Hi Sho Zame is a very different kind of game in comparison.