Custom Sticks Thread!!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
GGA_HAN

Re: Custom Sticks Thread!!

Post by GGA_HAN »

Nothing too crazy here, just modded my eightarc fusion with a custom plexi and the Brook universal PCB...

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Really clean. Looks great!
My lord, I have come for you.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Huh, I guess I never posted my stick in this thread.
I used the 24mm buttons on this project.
The stick and buttons are shamefully Chinese knockoffs of Sanwa because I'm poor.
I'm happy with the stick in every way though. Fits my little handsies perfectly with the smaller buttons.

I don't know what Sanwa or Seimitsu feel like so I guess I'm blissfully ignorant and I've adapted to these Chinese parts. :oops:

Thumbnails below are clickable for larger views...
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

GGA_HAN wrote:Nothing too crazy here, just modded my eightarc fusion with a custom plexi and the Brook universal PCB...

That's nice. I have a Qanba Q4RAF (same shell) and was thinking of getting that PCB so good to see it fits nicely.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

All finished. I'm quite happy with it.
Spoiler
Spoiler
moltomolto

Post by moltomolto »

Woah nice job Stevens ! :shock:

What kind of material did you use for the stick art? It looks like a matte finish from the pics.

I had someone mod my HSS 0136 a few months ago but the original art got messed up in the process and the replacement looks horrific lol. Seeing this just reminded me I need to get on fixing mine..
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thanks molto.

I only did the wiring and assembly, a friend of 30+ years is a metal worker. He drilled the holes larger with this mole machine looking drill bit and drilled the holes for the pass through on the side. That is the heavy lifting on an HSS 136.

The sticker is vinyl from gameongrafix (thanks shoryukev). They used to be mamemarqees. This link here:

http://www.gameongrafix.com/customer-de ... tom-design

Here is the artwork if you want it:
Spoiler
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Some polished burr, for sir? :lol:

Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Glad to see so many 6 button layouts in this thread. We don't need no stinking 3x buttons! lol
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

I need a new plexi top panel for my Agetec-based stick. I need it withouth the hole for the VMU. I have tried searching the internet with no luck, apparently all the panels they sell online have the VMU window which would be unsuitable for my stick. Does anybody know if this is actually available? I'd rather buy a finished product than making the panel myself.

Thanks.

Edit: thanks Xer for pointing me to this page here: http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbi ... t=&item=88

It would be great to find some seller in the EU though.
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

Can anyone confirm that this PCB works fine with MAME, Steam games and possibly with Macs too? By "fine" I mean no lag.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-delay-ar ... 2022911613

I love the small footprint and the solderless connections. I'm also considering a Brook pcb for maximum compatibility but it costs quite a bit and at this time what I really need is only PS2 and USB.
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

Nevermind, the project I need this for has a non-PCB stick while this particular PBC must be paired with a 5-pin harness. It can still be done with minor soldering but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid here.

EDIT: well actually this seems to be a very similar product which can be wired both to a 5-pin harness or individual connections for each direction of the stick. mmmmm.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zero-Delay-US ... 2022911613
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Can't help you with this one, but I would like to see your stick when it is finished.
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

Well thank you, it's my old Agetec modded with a Seimitsu LS-32 and all Seimitsu buttons. I really love this stick but the artwork and plexi are in a pretty bad shape now and they need to go. The stick was mounted by MKL as pictured in some old thread here on shmups, and still works very well. As to the buttons, not a very tidy wiring on my part but I had these wires laying around and decided to use them.

I have done a quick sketch for a new artwork here, classic Ikaruga title screen with some tweaks. Can't decide if I will use it, it feels quite dated now.

harrytasker

Post by harrytasker »

Been slowly transitioning into shmups after losing interest in the FGC thanks to SFV being bootysweat and no local scene for Guilty Gear. HORI RAP V, sanwa buttons+balltop.

2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Can anyone with a 360 stick and a brooks or ps360+ Pcb confirm if they work on a bc ps3? Will your ps2/ps1 DISCS work with the stick on the phat ps3 ?
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

harrytasker wrote:HORI RAP V, sanwa buttons+balltop.
Very nice. I see it doesn't have a plexi panel on top of it, how did you print the artwork and does it have some sort of plastic finish to prevent scratching?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

2dvertical wrote:Can anyone with a 360 stick and a brooks or ps360+ Pcb confirm if they work on a bc ps3? Will your ps2/ps1 DISCS work with the stick on the phat ps3 ?
You haven't ordered your PS360+ yet have you?

I may be able to test this for you, but it would have to be Sunday.

Depends on if my friends shop has a fat ps3.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

powerfuran wrote:Snip
I always have a hard time redoing a stick for cosmetic purposes only, but if you are ready for a change then do it.

As far as artwork goes - I've gravitated towards simpler designs simply because they're easier to get right. When I sent my artwork in to be printed there was only ONE guide (I think there is a link above) - I placed a white dot on the center screw at the bottom. This way there is only one thing to line up, everything else doesn't matter as it is getting cut out anyway.

You seem to be having a hard time finding a replacement plexi - wish I could help you with that. Have you considered no glass?
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

Yeah I decided to change the art just because I really like this stick but I would also like it to look brand new and believe me the scratches and cracks are bad but somehow they didn't show up too badly in the picture.

I have an HSS-0136 stick too and I love it. When I first modded it, I went for the no-plexi look and somehow it didn't look correct to me, but the panel on yours looks great and I'm tempted to reconsider. Does gameongrafix accept also more convoluted designs/artwork? I might refresh that stick as well. For the Agetec, I think I'll stick with plexi for now and will order from tek-innovations shortly.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Stevens wrote:
2dvertical wrote:Can anyone with a 360 stick and a brooks or ps360+ Pcb confirm if they work on a bc ps3? Will your ps2/ps1 DISCS work with the stick on the phat ps3 ?

I would appreciate that, no i didnt order yet for this reason, it surprises me that this isnt discussed more, if it is it was many years ago. Even those usb adapters, has every configuration but ehat im looking for. All i want to do is play my madcatz360 stick on my jap 360, phat ps3 with ps2 discs and ps4. Still looking at how people wired the turbo/ home button panel. I found only one video where this lady wired it up and claimed the lock switch, rs/dp/ls switch, and player led lights worked. She shows the led status working but the video was breif on testing (ps360+)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

powerfuran wrote:Does gameongrafix accept also more convoluted designs/artwork? I might refresh that stick as well.
As far as I know they will print whatever you send them. My template in the link above is the correct size for the HSS 136 if you wanted to use it for sizing (you could straight up use it if you wanted - I don't care).
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

Thanks, will certainly use it!

I see that your template has no layout for the button holes etc: did they send you the vinyl wihtout any holes in it and you had to cut it? Not an issue but I'm just asking. I'd rather submit a full layout and receive the panel with the holes though.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

powerfuran wrote:Thanks, will certainly use it!

I see that your template has no layout for the button holes etc: did they send you the vinyl wihtout any holes in it and you had to cut it? Not an issue but I'm just asking. I'd rather submit a full layout and receive the panel with the holes though.
I had to cut it.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Stevens wrote:

I hope you get a chance to test that out :mrgreen:
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

So I bought this very generic zero delay pcb from Amazon Italy, € 9.99 shipped.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01IQT ... UTF8&psc=1

The package included:
- the PCB
- female/female 5 pin harness to connect the stick
- USB cable
- 13 2-pin cables with small quick disconnects to connect the buttons.

There is no manual in the package but the wiring is pretty obvious.

Up to 12 buttons can be wired. Start and Select are specifically labelled and I believe those must be used for PS3 compatiblity. The PCB also has separate inputs for if you want to connect a Happ-style stick, or a Japanese stick with no 5-pin connector such as the Seimitsu LS-32.

Build quality looks like crap, especially the cables which in a couple of cases were pinched. The cable wires are solid (not stranded) and if you bend them too much it looks like they could break, but crimping is very good. Besides that, my Mac and PC immediately recognize the stick. No apparent lag at all.

The PCB has 4 special buttons: a mode switch to change the joystick mode from digital to analog (the green LED lights up when analog is activated; a turbo switch where you can activate rapid-fire on each single button (frequency is not too fast and looks like it can't be changed); an auto switch which means autofire where a button always fires even when depressed; and a clear button to clear all the turbo and auto settings on each individual button.

The only thing to pay attention to is that the 5-pin connector of the stick must face the buttons as in this pic below, otherwise the inputs will not be arranged correctly. This stick here as you can see is a Sanwa JLF:

Overall I am impressed for the low cost of this product and I think I will buy another for a second stick, I only need PC compatibility now.
DiegoPonga

Post by DiegoPonga »

Hi!

Does anyone know of a good, reliable 3D model of a stick that can be 3D-printed? I would love to upgrade my stick, but if someone has a 3D model I can print, that would be great!
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

I am still trying to find this out, i want to put a pcb in that will allow me to play ps2 DISCS in a PHAT ps3. I have a madcatz sf4 competition se stick, i have seen videos with people wiring the home button, led's for player #, and also getting the lock switch and lp,dp,rp switch to work but they were all on the tournament edition stick. Nobody ever mentions playing ps2 disc on a phat

stevens has been a great deal of help, thx! He suggested the ps360+
Any help on this would be great as any info I find is using old sticks on new gen, not newish stick on legacy consoles. This is the stick so far, sanwa silent stick and buttons

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pi8f3wf7rd2l ... TiE4VgrJTa
Lord of Pirates

Post by Lord of Pirates »

2dvertical wrote:I am still trying to find this out, i want to put a pcb in that will allow me to play ps2 DISCS in a PHAT ps3. I have a madcatz sf4 competition se stick, i have seen videos with people wiring the home button, led's for player #, and also getting the lock switch and lp,dp,rp switch to work but they were all on the tournament edition stick. Nobody ever mentions playing ps2 disc on a phat

stevens has been a great deal of help, thx! He suggested the ps360+
Any help on this would be great as any info I find is using old sticks on new gen, not newish stick on legacy consoles. This is the stick so far, sanwa silent stick and buttons

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pi8f3wf7rd2l ... TiE4VgrJTa
I suggest playing PS2 games on a PS2 if at all possible, the PS3 is a poor choice for them.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

2dvertical wrote:ps2 in phat ps3
It works. I played a midway classic disc.