Video Game Artwork

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Video Game Artwork

Post by Sumez »

What an obvious ripoff of this game

Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Sumez wrote:What an obvious ripoff of this game
Is that the Genesis or SMS version? I've only ever played the NES version of Bart vs Space Mutants and it definitely doesn't have that much color in it's artwork.
BIL

Post by BIL »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Image
Whoa, it's beautiful Image

Needless to say, if that game ever gets made, it'd need to include a substantial Duel mode. Image
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

BIL wrote:
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Image
Whoa, it's beautiful Image

Needless to say, if that game ever gets made, it'd need to include a substantial Duel mode. Image
With a fighting scene where each player forces the other to put on those damned sun glasses. :lol:
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
BIL

Post by BIL »

I really dig the slightly less common translation of PSII's Japanese subtitle: "At The End Of The Time Which Cannot Be Returned To." Heavy. Image Considering picking up a JP copy just for its boxart - I already have M2's lovely bi-lingual PS2 collection and can't read a word of Japanese, but that cover and subtitle are so superbly evocative of the game's uncompromisingly downbeat tone.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

damn thats beautiful, hints of moebius / jean giraud..
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, I was thinking it resembles Panzer Dragoon's Japanese Saturn cover (by Moebius IIRC). I want to look up the artist now, I'm guessing that's his signature by Rolf's foot.

edit: oh damn, SegaRetro delivers as usual! Higher res, logo-free scan - click for full res:

edit2: and GameFAQs delivers too - artist is Hitoshi Yoneda.
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BIL wrote:Yeah, I was thinking it resembles Panzer Dragoon's Japanese Saturn cover (by Moebius IIRC). I want to look up the artist now, I'm guessing that's his signature by Rolf's foot.
You helped me scratch an itch there....

I was looking at it and I was thinking..... where have I seen this before

Panzer Dragoon... :D
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Just had a google, his name is Hitoshi Yoneda. Some VERY nice art, talented guy.

I gotta get out of this thread, just makes me super depressed that I had to sell off my Megadrive and Saturn collections.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh god I can imagine. My oldschool Sega stash is just under things like balls and eyesight on the stuff I'd rather not be without list. 3;

I had a look too - besides lots of other great Phantasy Star material, his MD Sorcerian cover is badass as well (click for full res, rather big):

Sort of coverart that could really sell a game. Reminds me of being a kid and instantly drawn to Castlevania II in the rental place.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

tomwhite2004 wrote:damn thats beautiful, hints of moebius / jean giraud..
I remember a while back when I posted that very piece on a fantasy/art discussion thread on 4chan (/tg/ in particular), one of the first responses I got was "The moebius influence is strong with this one."
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Just came across the MD Sorcerian cover recntly, as I've talked about the game. Truly beautiful stuff.

And that jp Phantasy Star II cover... Gat Daym....
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nem

Post by nem »

Hitoshi Yoneda did also the cover art for John Szczepaniak's platinum version of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 1:

Not my favorite piece of his.

---

On a completely different note, I came across this flyer for Rolling Thunder 2 which I like (yes, for obvious reasons):

Face placed on body trope is pretty nicely done here.

Is the pixel art inside the film reel from the actual game?
BIL

Post by BIL »

nem wrote:Is the pixel art inside the film reel from the actual game?
Not sure about the AC version, but it's definitely referenced by the MD port's attract demo.

Always liked the AC flyer myself, despite it being a bit off-model. :wink: The MD boxart is pretty great too - the colours are absolutely mouth-watering in person. Nice heavy Namco paperstock too. Wish that'd been standard issue on MD. (click for full res)

nem

Post by nem »

BIL wrote:Not sure about the AC version, but it's definitely referenced by the MD port's attract demo.
I just checked and it's in both, however, it's waay more detailed in the flyer.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BIL wrote:his MD Sorcerian cover is badass as well (click for full res, rather big):
Spoiler
Sort of coverart that could really sell a game. Reminds me of being a kid and instantly drawn to Castlevania II in the rental place.
It's really nice, it's got that nice JP mid to late 80's fantasy genre art. Reminds me of the lovely work Yoshitaka Amano did for the Vampire Hunter D novels.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Arcade promo artwork for Capcom's Black Tiger / Black Dragon

Calm stride. Real sense of confrontation here IMO.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I wonder how many of those are traced out of nude male photos.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

NYN

Post by NYN »

I dig how the posture of the warrior is stepping up, like a flight of stairs. While clearly there are only two steps.
"Funk! The stairs are out! What now? Hold it. Just hold it. The fork-tonqued beast is up. Ready your battle aura!"
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Most video game brawlers (even the really graphically violent ones) tend to have a pretty comical look to their artwork to dodge the gritty realism that could cause a game about beating up people to feel somewhat uncomfortable. Think Bare Knuckle, etc.

The PCE version of Vigilante doesn't give a fuck, though. Here's a rape about to happen, now try to stop it.

Am I the only one who sees this as a little morbid?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nope, I posted it with similar sentiments a few pages back. :wink: Morbid indeed, reminds me of something from a brutal giallo flick. Though I have to say the chibi-esque skull ring is undeniably kinda cute.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Damn. Once again you were able to predict my opinions before I knew about them myself.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Damn. Once again you were able to predict my opinions before I knew about them myself.
;3

That reminds me of something! To the sidescrollercave

---

Holy fuck, didn't realise it'd been so long this thread was bumped! :shock: I think I confused it with the Covers Made Of Clay one. Let's fix that then.

Cute! Same cover artist as MD Rolling Thunder II, I'd guess? Also apparently the game is rad too, I kinda want it!
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

やつらはジゴクをつれてくる
Spoiler
I always loved this particular flyer for Jackal, particularly in how the artist went through the effort of not only providing a cool action scene to sell the game on, but also on providing portraits of the titular team's roster, despite the fact that the in-game heroes might as well be anonymous little peons. It gives the game a much larger sense of what it really is.

I get the impression that this was drawn by the same artist who did the original Metal Gear's cover artwork too. Such a shame most of these flyer artists went uncredited for their work.
BIL

Post by BIL »

God almighty that is rad, fukken saved Image

The low-to-ground perspective and screaming sense of motion brings to mind Daisenpu's eminent flyer.

Compare it to Thundercade's attempt at vehicular mayhem for a sad laugh. :lol: (though it does star Venom from Cronos who helps a lot!)
Jonny2x4 wrote:I always loved this particular flyer for Jackal, particularly in how the artist went through the effort of not only providing a cool action scene to sell the game on, but also on providing portraits of the titular team's roster, despite the fact that the in-game heroes might as well be anonymous little peons. It gives the game a much larger sense of what it really is.
I always felt the same about the NES port and its attract intro - even as a little kid I could twig it was making an outsized effort with its little army dudes. :smile:

I quite like the FDS cover too, similar principles in effect albeit downsized.

Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

It's funny how the arcade game was titled Top Gunner in 'murricah (complete with U.S. flags adorning the player-controlled jeeps) and Jackal everywhere else (well 特殊部隊ジャッカル in Japanese, but it's the practically the same thing with just four extra kanji characters), but when it came to do the console version, it was Jackal in the U.S. and something else (Akai Yōsai/赤い要塞) in Japan.

I'm guessing since Konami did Top Gun on the NES around that point they didn't want consumers to confused it with a similarly-titled game, but why Akai Yōsai in Japan? Was it their way of subtly disowning/distancing the Famicom Disk version because it was a downgrade from its NES counterpart?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

"Everywhere else". Was the arcade game even distributed in Europe?
I honestly never heard about that game growing up, and didn't learn about it until recent years, hearing Americans talk about their favourite co-op NES games. Fortunately the NES version is still strangely cheap, despite being a complete US exclusive.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

It seems that was the case, since the game was also ported to the big three 8-bit computers of Europe (ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and Commodore 64). They even used the same artwork from the JP flyer.

I had similar doubts whether Nemesis, the export version of the original Gradius arcade game, even came out in the U.S. (or more accurately, whether it came out under that title or they kept it Gradius), but there's documented evidence that it did. I get the impression it didn't do all that well though, hence why they kept it Gradius when it came time to localize the NES version.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ACTION - EXCITEMENT - DESTRUCTION

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Wickedddddddd!!! Nice one Johnny
-FM Synth & Black Metal-