shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:09 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: DVDO EDGE - How it performs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am 

Good info!
So I better skip on the EDGE then as PC Engine and Saturn are often used.
All my consoles are NTSC so don't have to bother with PAL line triple mode.

Any major differences/benefits to prefer a VP50pro over a VP50, or a VP50 over a VP30 etc.?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am 

found some figures for reference;

BuckoA51 wrote:
As I recall my PAL modded MD1 DID have that issue, basically the vertical sync is too far off spec.

Just tested a bunch of other systems

Super Famicom - 8ms
Sega Saturn (Jap) - 25ms
Atari Jaguar - 7ms (PAL)
PC Engine - 25ms
N64 - 25ms
Dreamcast - 6ms

All the systems that had the additional lag were the ones with vertical refresh rates like 59.83 etc.

Xyga wrote:
- MD2 (60Hz switched): -25ms
- Ibara (pcb): -25ms
- Turbo Force (pcb): -8ms (input info says 720x478i@61.45Hz)
- Dogyuun (pcb): -25ms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:27 pm 

Xyga wrote:
The VP's however don't accept locked linetripled PAL sources, so they can't do low lag in that particular case (all of them? don't remember as well but likely)

If this is in regards to OSSC output, maybe you can try the Lx3 tweak that worked on my TV: reduce V.Active to 240 and then increase V.Backporch until you get an image (~40-45).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:44 am 

PascalP wrote:
Good info!
So I better skip on the EDGE then as PC Engine and Saturn are often used.
All my consoles are NTSC so don't have to bother with PAL line triple mode.

Any major differences/benefits to prefer a VP50pro over a VP50, or a VP50 over a VP30 etc.?

VP50 Pro has Edge/Detail enhancement (can be set to negative values) that allows you to fine tune the picture to look as soft or sharp as you want. That's the big advantage of it, though there are a few others. Get it if you want the best.

You can save quite a bit of money by going with the VP50 though and chances are pretty good you won't have any problems with the picture quality of it. Especially not in OSSC 3x and 5x(1080p) modes, maybe a little in 480i and 480p modes.

The VP30 when I've seen it has gone for almost as much as the VP50 and it lacks some advanced deinterlacing options (unless it has a somewhat rare ABT102 card) so I'm not sure there's a reason to get it today unless you can get a really good price.

Maybe this is oversimplified enough for someone to jump in with more details so I won't mislead you. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:03 am 

ZellSF wrote:
Quote:

VP50 Pro has Edge/Detail enhancement (can be set to negative values) that allows you to fine tune the picture to look as soft or sharp as you want. That's the big advantage of it, though there are a few others. Get it if you want the best.

You can save quite a bit of money by going with the VP50 though and chances are pretty good you won't have any problems with the picture quality of it. Especially not in OSSC 3x and 5x(1080p) modes, maybe a little in 480i and 480p modes.

Honestly even though it lacks EE/DE the default (or negative) sharpness setting on the VP30 produces a faint smoothness (due to the meh scaling perhaps) over the picture that's actually really nice, looks great over upscaled 720p 360 shmups for instance.
I supose the VP50 does a similar thing, maybe with a few more steps I don't know.
When playing on a LCD the display's own blur adds to the smoothness anyway, so while a perfectly tuned smoothness via 50Pro/EDGE looks indeed awesome while still, the benefits won't be so much obvious in motion.

ZellSF wrote:
The VP30 when I've seen it has gone for almost as much as the VP50 and it lacks some advanced deinterlacing options (unless it has a somewhat rare ABT102 card) so I'm not sure there's a reason to get it today unless you can get a really good price.

Maybe this is oversimplified enough for someone to jump in with more details so I won't mislead you. :wink:

The ABT102 is only interesting for its great ringing-free, 2 frames delay, 480i deinterlacing, yep.
Other little benefit of the VP30 (and other alike pre-pro/edge dvdo's) is that it is silent and doesn't heat up to crazy temperatures. Some people might like that...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 pm 

How does one measure lag down to the millisecond?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:12 am 

The VP20 (VP30's stripped down cousin) with ABT102 card and OSSC is the best retro gaming experience I've had so far. Its scaling has no drawbacks (IMO) and the granular zoom let me have perfect scanlines on my old plasma for the first time. The only thing I wish it had is the Edge's slick interface.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:41 pm 

Quote:
How does one measure lag down to the millisecond?

The Edge has a lip sync delay that's calibrated automatically to the lag that the units adding to the chain. It's been tested against the Leo Bodnar lag tester and been found to be quite accurate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:52 am 

Not just the EDGE!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 am 

Xyga wrote:
Not just the EDGE!

VP50 as well?
Just got one of those in, can't wait to try it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:35 am 

There isn't much to try with video games, you will be able to see the delay with 50Hz and 60Hz, locked or unlocked, (or with different deinterlacing modes) but they are pretty much always the same. You'll come back to check on it only when you have doubts over a specific configuration.
Only the EDGE shows broader variations in lag, so that 'tool' is more useful with it than with the older/VPs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:53 pm 

Can I see the delay on a VP50pro? AV Lipsync is always at 0ms, unless I manually adjust it. Does the auto adjustment need to be enabled?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:56 pm 

s0m wrote:
Can I see the delay on a VP50pro? AV Lipsync is always at 0ms, unless I manually adjust it. Does the auto adjustment need to be enabled?

Slide it down in the minus, how many ms you can do so = how much delay there is.
(don't forget to put it back to 0 after checking)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:14 am 

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:47 pm 

Does anyone knows, or remember what was the last oficial firmware released for the original DVDO Edge? I'm on the 1.62, and I found here the 1.63, was any after that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:48 pm 

yes, that's it. Nothing after that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 pm 

Thanks Fudoh

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:41 pm 

Ok, just upgraded FW. It's the first time I'm connecting the Edge on my LG Oled, just to play Wii: Will be better to leave 480p on output for Edge and let the TV scale by itself, or should I choose 720p, or 1080p for Edge output?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:09 am 

The Wii doesn't scale very well. Give it a try and let's hear what you find to be better. Your best option for Cube and Wii is probably an OSSC to have the picture "hard-doubled" to 960p.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:00 pm 

My Edge Green has suddenly stopped sending audio via HDMI video. Optical out works fine. I've tried different cables, a factory reset and updated the firmware to no avail. Anyone have insight into what might be causing this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 pm 

I made a post about this problem a couple days ago that for whatever reason never got approved by the mods? :| But I have the same problem with both a VP30 AND an Edge Green where neither of them are sending audio via HDMI.

I've tried every settings combination I possibly could and nothing works at all. A Sega Saturn into the VP30 with the latest firmware via S-video+RCA and the options set to Audio In: Stereo + Audio Out: HDMI results in a picture with no sound - however a MegaSG plugged into the same VP30 via HDMI with the options set to Passthrough have the same result - no sound over HDMI. This happens both with the VP30 and the Edge Green. Changed HDMI cables as well to no avail, and the systems themselves produce audio just fine when connected directly to the displays.

Does anyone have any idea why these DVDO systems are just killing audio over HDMI? :(

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23