Crisis Wing - Released!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
pieslice

Crisis Wing - Released!

Post by pieslice »

I've been developing a old-school styled shooter since 2016. Game's called Crisis Wing and it draws inspiration from early 90's pre-bullet-hell arcade games. Game is my solo effort.
Game plays quite a lot like classic Toaplan games, except the game flow is a bit faster, like CRS68k or Viper Phase 1.

Finished product will have these features:
  • Platforms: Win/Mac
    Campaign/Arcade mode with 6 stages
    Local two player support
    Practice mode (you can choose level regions from already completed arcade levels)
    Caravan stage
    Tate, letterbox & horizontal (controls mirrored 90 degrees) support
    Fully rebindable controller support
Feel free to drop a comment.

18th Sep 2020 Edit

Game is now released! This thread is no longer updated!

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukCI_3KuvKU
Last edited by pieslice on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 21 times in total.
mice

Re: Crisis Wing

Post by mice »

Looks awesome!
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Really nailed that Toaplan-look, hard to believe this has been under development for only ten months! Can't wait to see actual gameplay.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Looks are great!
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
ciox

Post by ciox »

Cool, screens look very atmospheric already, got me looking forward to more info/media.
I'm wondering, did anything from Sylph Wind (never forget!) make it into this project? I'm assuming not since this seems like a game with simple shooting-based scoring but I figured I'd ask anyway.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

ciox wrote:Cool, screens look very atmospheric already, got me looking forward to more info/media.
I'm wondering, did anything from Sylph Wind (never forget!) make it into this project? I'm assuming not since this seems like a game with simple shooting-based scoring but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Nope. This is built on Unity and Sylph wind was a proprietary engine built on my own tech. I decided to scrap Sylph Wind as it did not turn out as good as I would have wanted it to be.
This game's scoring is built on raizing style medaling chains. You can also trigger galaga styled bonus waves by destroying certain enemies.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Love the color palette.
My lord, I have come for you.
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

The art is excellent! Can't wait to see the video!
Squire Grooktook wrote:Make a game because there's something you want to exist that doesn't.
Shooting game never die!
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

CaptainKraken wrote:The art is excellent! Can't wait to see the video!
I think it would be even better if everything was done at arcade resolution (including rotations and other transformations) then blit that buffer at double or triple scale in native resolution.
When you rotate a scaled sprite and see diamond shaped "pixels" it kind of breaks the low res illusion.
It's best to do all transformations on a small buffer then draw that buffer at a clean integer scale onto the main buffer.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
pieslice

Re: Crisis Wing - gameplay video available

Post by pieslice »

bump. gameplay video availsble in the opening post
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Watched it with my morning coffee.

General thoughts and good things:

- Medal system is pretty straight forward
- Love the music - Stage 3's BGM is tits
- Shot sound (both enemy and player) is good and more importantly not annoying for something you hear repeatedly
- All of the explosions, including the player explosion and bomb, are fucking manly
- I like the transition between stages
- Enemy design is on point, never felt like "that guy again"

- Only complaint, and it's minor because the music is so good, but there is no boss bgm (yet?).
Edit^^^ - Just reread the first post.

Questions:

What exactly is the hit box? Had a hard time telling if it was the ship of cockpit (small screen)

What is the "P" icon next to your score?

Overall looks tight and is something I will be buying if development continues as it has. Good luck.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Hit box is the grey thing in the dead center of your ship. Hitbox is not as small as in bullet hell games; it's about same size as later toaplan titles such as v-v or batsugun (but smaller than truxton 2)

If you pick up the same colored power up than you currently have, you'll earn the 'P' token. Next time you pick the same colored power up, the 'P' is consumed and your weapon power level will increase. You can power up two times.
If you pick different color, you'll switch weapons.
P token remains between lives and even between credits.
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

Wow. This game's presentation is through the roof. You're doing this yourself???!!!
Fantastic job with that. :o
The music is good, the pixel art is excellent, and the enemy design is great.
The power up system you have looks simple and intuitive, but varied.

Most of the gameplay looks great; enemy patterns look pretty well-placed.

HOWEVER:

Checkpoints.
Why checkpoints? I understand using them for continues, but being sent back every time you die is quite unforgiving.
For me, they're pretty rage-inducing (make it through a hard section, take a hit, and have to do it again. This is especially painful with bosses).
I understand their use in the arcades. Checkpoints required more memorization, which means more quarters fed into the machine, but I don't think they're necessary now.

If you want to keep the checkpoints, it might be a good idea to balance them a little (Possibly with an autobomb that uses all of your bombs, or maybe getting hit would reset your powerup to default if it was powered up, if it wasn't, you would die, etc.). Just a suggestion. I'm sure there are other ways to balance the game.

Overall, the game shown looks great! The game feels.. well, I can't actually play it, but it looks like it feels great. :D
Keep up the good work; I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with this.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Make a game because there's something you want to exist that doesn't.
Shooting game never die!
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

You can toggle the checkpoints in game options, so you instantly respawn. But using a continue will always rewind you to a checpoint regardless of the setting
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

pieslice wrote:You can toggle the checkpoints in game options, so you instantly respawn. But using a continue will always rewind you to a checpoint regardless of the setting
Oh! Well then, disregard.

Would there be a separate leaderboard for checkpoint and no checkpoint scores?
Shooting game never die!
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

I don't think it's necessary, as enabling checkpoints won't hurt your score; actually it is the other way as tactical suicides in checkpoints with a lot of popcorn enemies (which'll drop medals) might give you a nice score boost.

Also the fact that the game has no speedups and that most of the checkpoints start with a powerup carrier should make checkpoint recovery rather lenient.
Bomb damage vs. bosses is the thing that needs at least one balance round w/no checkpoints and or/2 player mode.

Game has also rank (which is at the minimum in the video as I died a lot); the rank actually works very well and scales upwards nicely (without an upper bound) so I can implement several loops if I wish so.
Last edited by pieslice on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sp8cewave

Post by sp8cewave »

Looking really good!
Cristian_CL

Post by Cristian_CL »

Looks fun and well crafted, good luck in your development.
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

pieslice wrote:I don't think it's necessary, as enabling checkpoints won't hurt your score; actually it is the other way as tactical suicides in checkpoints with a lot of popcorn enemies (which'll drop medals) might give you a nice score boost.
Yeah; that's what I meant. Different score potential.
pieslice wrote:Game has also rank (which is at the minimum in the video as I died a lot); the rank actually works very well and scales upwards nicely (without an upper bound) so I can implement several loops if I wish so.
I think it would be cool to have fixed rank per loop, increasing by a set amount per loop if you're going to do multiple loops (which I think would be cool).
Shooting game never die!
glide

Post by glide »

This looks terrific, can't wait to play it!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Are you the only one working on this- music art and programming? Impressive! Watching the video, this looks pretty great! I think the only thing I would tweak is making the beginning of stage one a little more aggressive in terms of enemy fire, since there are not too many bullets firing (I think you mention rank being set low in your play in general).

A minor suggestion: when you get the blue power-up, you are apparently awarded some normal-looking missiles that fire ahead. Nothing wrong with the weapon itself, but I don't think it reads immediately "blue" like the powerup suggests. I would change the missile palette to have a richer wash of blue colors (complemented by an orange/yellow flame exhaust?), and maybe a slightly flashier sci-fi design to give them a bit more "oomph" and desirability.

Minor thing: the slinky-looking laser of the st3 boss looks and moves quite nicely.
pieslice

Re: Crisis Wing - stage 5 sneak peed

Post by pieslice »

<bump>
Project status updated, sneak peek screenshot and more info in the opening post
Stevens

Re: Crisis Wing - project status update and stage 5 sneak pe

Post by Stevens »

Looks great! I will pay you money for this upon completion. Looking forward to it and best of luck.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

I entered altered version of Crisis Wing as an entry to Assembly 2017 Game Development competition.

It retains the same gameplay than the main game but is a tight two-and-a-half-minute Caravan stage, hence the version is dubbed Crisis Wing - Caravan Edition

Gameplay video

Playable version of the caravan version can be downloaded from the assembly web site. I'll mirror the links here.

Windows (32bit) download link

OSX download link

Known issues:
- Menus are preliminary
- Main menu does not allow controller input, it's keyboard only.
- Controls are fixed (arrows, z, x), no rebind option yet.
- in PS4 controller, circle is shots and x is bomb, contrary to default (western) bindings. It seems that default button layout in ps4 controller is japanese.
- Quit prompt does not allow enter as *enter* key, *enter* in-game is the fire key (z)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Best of luck in the comp. Will try the demo later today:D
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Stevens wrote:Best of luck in the comp.
It got first. :wink:

Game's looking good, will have to try it out when I get the chance!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Shepardus wrote: It got first. :wink:

Game's looking good, will have to try it out when I get the chance!
After spending a good two hours with the demo I can honestly say this doesn't surprise me at all. All around this is an excellent effort. Congrats pieslice!

The game looks fantastic. The sprite work is top notch, and I love how the colors sort of glow with regards to light sources. Lasers, your ships engine, shots, and explosions all have this eye catching quality.

Control is tight and the ship speed feels perfect for its size. Hit box feels fair and I never once felt that dying wasn't my fault.

A lot of fun is crammed into this demo - I patiently await the final product.
blackpawn

Post by blackpawn »

I saw it first on pouet in the compo results and was like whoa a shmup cool. It's fantastic, congratulations on your win! Super polished and really fun. I'm excited for the full game.
Mux

Post by Mux »

Awesome game. Managed to get a high-score of around 288k for the Caravan edition and can't wait for the full version! Btw, any way to reach out to pieslice via email?

-Mux
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Mux wrote:Awesome game. Managed to get a high-score of around 288k for the Caravan edition and can't wait for the full version! Btw, any way to reach out to pieslice via email?

-Mux
Thanks. 288k is pretty good, pretty close to a maximum.
I think around 300k is theroretically possible.

if you have any further questions, you can shoot them here or drop me a PM me on this forum.