Pc-98/Fm Synth music recommendations?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Pc-98/Fm Synth music recommendations?

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:No guitar power-chord sound in sight but Splatterhouse 2's Bellyache Battle 02 more than qualify as rock to me. With it's chugging rythm and evil, vicious melody, this one's a rocker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhn36HPa5iA
Squire Grooktook wrote:Was always a fan of both final boss themes in Splatterhouse 2 and 3. Oustanding catchy battle themes in games full of mostly atmospheric pieces.
Splatterhouse 3 definitely has a real melodic knack (understandably suppressed for the majority of its ghastly trip). Legit one of the most apropos final stage BGMs in an arcade gauntlet; the alternatingly dire/ascendant tone nails the sense of grueling endgame. Even bashing down the onerously tanky FATMAN DEAD in the final room isn't too bad with this moral support!

Still haven't played the prior two games remotely as much, but I definitely pick up the same tone (and the same aesthetic restraint) from what I've heard of them.

The intro and staff roll theme have some great tunes, too. As an aside, the monstrously grainy "GWAAAAAAAAA" sample heard in the attract demo eclipse, a certain optional scene, and whenever a st1 bosstype goes down is pure catharsis.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I'd forgotten about that track, good stuff.

Also worth mentionining: Splatterhouse 1's:

The Saint Comes Marching In
Requiem For Captain Mozarella

Fan titles tho.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

awesome Splatterhouse 3 track there. Never played the game so I was unfamilliar with it. very epic in feel and dark, brooding atmosphere. The second of it's two parts is legit black metal territory, if you were to tack a blast beat on it

listening to the whole OST now and I'm digging it. Lots of Maiden/power metal-style galloping rythms
love that stuff
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Some of the stuff previously mentionned in the thread rocks pretty good. The Scheme YM2203 soundtrack is a fine exemple (despite sounding on the thin side).

The Legend Of Hero(YM2203)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0eRL7 ... F&index=22

Opening Theme(YM2203)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeat2l ... C41A3DAC7F
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Elemental Master soundtrack is also chockfull of NWOBHM

Hey, you said "no ThunderForce" but you didn't say "no TechnoSoft"! :)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Squire Grooktook

^^^Indeed.

"Calling on the Dark Dragon King" Aka Boss 5 is mind blowingly good fm-synth rockin'

Love "Visual Scene 1" as well. The whole ost is golden.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hard to beat Tecno Soft for sheer excellence... Elemental Master and Thunder Force IV in particular are stunning FM metal works. Also, it's technically Red's composition, but they did a sterling job with Devil Crash MD's utterly epic main table theme.

(tbh I consider DCMD at least half Tecno Soft's. I love both incarnations of the game, but Tecno Soft's new bonus round backgrounds are so goddamn metal, the box should've contained a free tetanus shot. Image )

The omake tracks from other TS games all turned out great too - I especially like the monstrously beefed-up "A Breach of Contract." from Herzog Zwei. Dig the Steve Harris-worthy lead bass, turn the fucker up and feel the kick drum in your chest. These guys were alchemists.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Hard to beat Tecno Soft for sheer excellence...
Ain't that the truth. The thing about TS is that it always starts with the immense quality of composition and the arrangements are just the icing on the cake.

I've been enjoying the hell out of the Super 32X' audio. Such rich and deep sound was possible, just using a digital-to-analogue converter and writing everything into the software.

Hikoshi Hashimoto's Cyber Brawl (Cosmic Carnage) really stands out, despite being an otherwise shitty game.

This track really pushes the FM metal as far as it can probably go. Although I prefer his groovier tunes, similar to those he made for A.B. Cop. Make sure to turn the volume up for either. ;)
Squire Grooktook

Also along with Calling That Detestable Name, Shiver is another very metal synth track from the Etrian series.

It might not count for \m/, but the rocking "The End of Raging Waves" is a must mention whenever the franchise comes up for being amongst Yuzo Koshiro's most anthemic battle themes ever.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I'm glad this topic suddenly picked up again. :P
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

On a related note : I might capture some Genesis OSTs on my VA2 mobo Genny if there is some interest :wink:
The sound of the VA2 is different enough from the VA3 that it would make a good complement to Dustin Odell's VA3 uploads I think (god bless this guy btw. He's doing fantastic work and gives us great sounding OSTs captured from hardware).
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I love Dustin O'Dell's uploads and would greatly appreciate more audio captures from authentic hardware.

I don't believe he's done Musha Aleste...
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
zinger

Post by zinger »

CIT wrote:Hikoshi Hashimoto's Cyber Brawl (Cosmic Carnage) really stands out, despite being an otherwise shitty game.

This track really pushes the FM metal as far as it can probably go. Although I prefer his groovier tunes, similar to those he made for A.B. Cop. Make sure to turn the volume up for either. ;)
I also dig Hashimoto's work! Heard Shura no Mon? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJJ71cpJ6s
SOUNDSHOCK
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Musha Aleste
Can't believe I forgot to mention Musha. One of those quintessential, almost too-obvious mentions that nonetheless deserves every bit of hype. Towering neoclassical metal inferno.

By the by, any fan of Musha's OST should listen to Compile's earlier Blaster Burn, for MSX. Despite the more primitive sound, its heavier compositions are most assuredly \m/etal as fuck. Very Vengeance/Defenders-era Judas Priest.

>The Holy Ghost / Blizzard (excerpts)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

ugh... *slaps forehead* can't believe we forgot MUSHA back there
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

In the PC-88 camp, Sorcerian MD and Star Cruiser MD are also worth recording (Dustin already having uploaded Ys III and Eiyuu Densetsu).
BIL wrote: By the by, any fan of Musha's OST should listen to Compile's earlier Blaster Burn, for MSX. Despite the more primitive sound, its heavier compositions are most assuredly \m/etal as fuck. Very Vengeance/Defenders-era Judas Priest.

>The Holy Ghost / Blizzard (excerpts)
Missed that one, despite SHMUPs' very own MSX fan Shatterhand having mentioned it way back. Thanks for the recommendation.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

WelshMegalodon wrote:In the PC-88 camp, Sorcerian MD and Star Cruiser MD are also worth recording (Dustin already having uploaded Ys III and Eiyuu Densetsu).
Funny, was just listening to Sorcerian (PC-88) this week while getting back into da FM synth metal vibe.

Really great stuff. Yuzo Koshiro aided by sound team JDK leader, miss Mieko Ishikawa herself. can't go wrong with that pair :shock:

my fave metal tune of this OST is the outstanding "Red Dragon"
https://youtu.be/3Gm6D4iFzo8?t=50m1s
such epic trashing synth rock Image

Seriously, the whole soundtrack is great, and is a must listen for any FM synth fan. It truly is prime Koshiro, and even bests The Scheme(which is no easy feat) as far as I'm concerned. It's more focused, more effective.

So many moods covered here. And especially : so many DAMN SONGS! This is one truly massive OST.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I love Dustin O'Dell's uploads and would greatly appreciate more audio captures from authentic hardware.

I don't believe he's done Musha Aleste...
Now he has :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6JfsduyOZg
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hell yeah, that's a vital addition!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Elemental master sounds more like italo disco than metal to me. Or maybe that's just the early stages......
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

A few obscure favorites of mine. :)

Space Soldier II
https://youtu.be/Jki1j7k5Oqc?t=29s

Choujin:
(First part of the vid is the FM only version)
https://youtu.be/3NvH7obZUUk

Group X. This one is a bit unusual as it uses the SY22. Sound is produced from 2 FM elements and 2 ROM Sample elements combined via Vector Synthesis. Very YMO inspired, and in a game nobody will ever give a damn about...
https://youtu.be/Add1kL696pw?t=1m35s
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I've uploaded my first OST captured from original hardware ! Castlevania Bloodlines is up and running!
Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/finalbaton/castl ... odel-1-va2
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0LfkTAy0E&t=352s

I am capturing from a Genesis model 1, VA2 motherboard revision so this is a unique experience on Youtube, no other uploads offer this at the moment. The VA2 sounds different than the VA3, with a more exciting sound balance, so make sure you check it even if you've already heard the OST captured from a VA3!

This is also a good occasion to renew with this masterpiece from dame Castlevania herself, Yamane-sensei! (and heck, all occasions are good when it comes to this 8) )
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Lovely upload, FinalBaton. "Iron-Blue Intention" has never sounded so good. (Well, except when it was in Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5, I guess. :wink: )

Your no-death runs are a pleasure to watch as well. You have a focused, conservative playstyle that drives home your familiarity with the game. Watching your Castlevania footage side-by-side with James Rolfe's is like night and day.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Wow! Thanks a ton WelshMegalodon :) This really means a lot
Very happy that you enjoy the OST through the VA2. *thumbs up*
Also really happy that you enjoy my no-death runs as well! Yes I definitely have a safe+memorization+precision style of play. I play these games so much that I end up knowing the safest play for each enemy, basically. As well as enemy patterns and how they move/are triggered/appear on-screen. Those games, I know inside-out basically.

With my calculated movements, "focused" is definitely how I would describe my style. Very good observation :mrgreen: I don't move for nothing, and when I do it's for the KILL!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Revenge Of Shinobi OST (captured on Genesis model 1, VA2 motherboard revision) is now uploaded. check it out here :
soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/finalbaton/reven ... odel-1-va2
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snazq6nSzB8

Listen to how well balanced the sound is throughout on this capture >_< You won't hear any other ROS OST like it!

And listen to how NASTY that bass is on "Ninja Step" at >_<
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Superb, looking forward to checking it out. :smile:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton, you might want to google for Iron Goat.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote:FinalBaton, you might want to google for Iron Goat.
What is this Iron Goat thing? I don't get it.
I googled and and all the links say it's a brewery
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:
soprano1 wrote:FinalBaton, you might want to google for Iron Goat.
What is this Iron Goat thing? I don't get it.
I googled and and all the links say it's a brewery
Ugh, sorry. Google The Iron Goat's Console Audio Soundtracks: The Master List
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Sorry for taking down my uploads and putting them back up like twice >_< I had some technical difficulties and had to rework them a bit. Felt I could've done better with the duration of in-between songs silences, some fade outs, some clicks and pops, etc. But now they're ace, I won't be touching them ever again :P Really happy with how they came out. I have also rearrange ROS's track order so that it fits the order in which your encounter the tunes in the game (whereas the soundtest has them in a random order), so there's a little bonus! ;)

Castlevania Bloodlines OST
soundcloud (better quality) https://soundcloud.com/finalbaton/castl ... odel-1-va2
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0LfkTAy0E&t=352s

Revenge Of Shinobi OST
soundcloud (better quality) https://soundcloud.com/finalbaton/reven ... odel-1-va2
youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snazq6nSzB8

will put a tracklist in the descriptions shortly
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-