Under Defeat HD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
2dvertical

Re: Under Defeat HD

Post by 2dvertical »

Is this game playable with an arcade stick or is it a twin stick shooter?
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

2dvertical wrote:Is this game playable with an arcade stick or is it a twin stick shooter?
It works with an arcade stick.
pmp

Post by pmp »

Is Rising Star's 360 release comparable with the PS3?
I'd prefer to get the 360 release for convenience, but reading through the thread makes it sound like it had a bunch of problems.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

2dvertical wrote:Is this game playable with an arcade stick or is it a twin stick shooter?
To clarify, the game is designed to be played with an arcade stick, but I believe the New Order widescreen mode does allow you to setup and play with twin sticks.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

pmp wrote:Is Rising Star's 360 release comparable with the PS3?
I'd prefer to get the 360 release for convenience, but reading through the thread makes it sound like it had a bunch of problems.
I 1cc'd the 360 version, and the only problem I noticed was the awful slowdown on one phase of the final boss. Pretty annoying, but also reasonably easy to play around. There might be some other issues or inaccuracies that I didn't notice because I only played the DC version like once.

Actually: I didn't watch it, but looks like Kiken did a comparison video some time back: https://youtu.be/jmoUUJek2ZA
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
pmp

Post by pmp »

Thanks for the info.
From what I can tell, the 360 version still has slowdown in tate, but looks ok in yoko; and the ps3 version is fine in both. Correct me if I'm wrong.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

pmp wrote:Thanks for the info.
From what I can tell, the 360 version still has slowdown in tate, but looks ok in yoko; and the ps3 version is fine in both. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I only played in TATE, and only on 360, but from what I've read from other people the slowdown is exclusive to tate on the 360. I have heard at some point that the PS3 version is even worse than the 360 version, but that might be outdated info or just plain wrong info. IDK.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

ケツイ wrote:Which version is better? 360 or PS3?
I don't want to create any kind of polemic here, but as owner of both versions, I conclude that the version for Xbox 360 is remarkably superior than PS3 version, mainly because the Xbox 360 version has a much smaller amount of slowdowns than the PS3 version. So if someone also has both consoles and is in doubt about which version to purchase, I recommend get the Xbox 360 version.

The exaggerated slowdowns present in the PS3 version definitely don't please me and to my understanding they harm the fluency of the game. In the graphic aspect, the version for Xbox 360 also pleases me more, already in the sound department I think that both are equivalent. The only real advantage I see from the PS3 version is the controller, because I like much more to play shmups with Dualshock 3 than with the Xbox 360 wireless controller.

In short: the Xbox 360 version is the winner.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

UD HD is being ported forward to all platforms this winter, if Google translate hasn't wrong-footed me!

https://x.com/claricedisc/status/1776450502257201490
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Klatrymadon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:14 am UD HD is being ported forward to all platforms this winter, if Google translate hasn't wrong-footed me!

https://x.com/claricedisc/status/1776450502257201490
Indeed:

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/04/under-d ... his-winter
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Nice, guessing it's going to be a straight port from the 360 version. Hopefully it gets a proper retail release and the limited print bunch don't fuck around with it.
AGermanArtist

Post by AGermanArtist »

Do we know if there are any extras? Is the DLC heli included?
Last edited by AGermanArtist on Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davyK

Post by davyK »

The DLC is included in the PAL 360 version so it's a good bet a new port will include it.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Surprising (but a nice one)

I mentioned this before, but live arcade used to give download numbers. After Under Defeat was out for a month, it was in the mid-600s

For context, any random-ass sudoku title has at least double that.

So if g.rev seemed less than excited to revisit this chapter, that could be why
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Don't play shooters much anymore, but I will always have a soft spot for this one. Will pick up on Steam.

Guess I can part with my DC collection now..
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:23 pmI mentioned this before, but live arcade used to give download numbers. After Under Defeat was out for a month, it was in the mid-600s

To be fair, the 360 version released in 2012 in Japan alongside a physical edition. The small but hardcore niche Japanese STG audience was likely buying physical at that time, especially for such an enthusiast-focused release.

And G.Rev has revisited Under Defeat more any other title they've ever made (though they're making sure to keep squeezing what they can out of Mamoru-Kun). From the NAOMI/DC original release, to the PS3/360 HD update, porting that to RingEdge, making a NESICA arcade version, and now PS4/Switch.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The small but hardcore niche Japanese STG audience was likely buying physical at that time, especially for such an enthusiast-focused release.

Wait, people in Japan had 360s?

I kid...

Also, while I know there are some that believe a 'wide-vert' is an oxymoron, and don't, won't, will never like them. I won't say the wide version of Under Defeat will change your mind. But I will say that g.rev did a very, very good job with it (even though you can't shoot the cows anymore, so I can't say it's perfect).
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

hamfighterx wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:14 pm
m.sniffles.esq wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:23 pmI mentioned this before, but live arcade used to give download numbers. After Under Defeat was out for a month, it was in the mid-600s

To be fair, the 360 version released in 2012 in Japan alongside a physical edition. The small but hardcore niche Japanese STG audience was likely buying physical at that time, especially for such an enthusiast-focused release.

And G.Rev has revisited Under Defeat more any other title they've ever made (though they're making sure to keep squeezing what they can out of Mamoru-Kun). From the NAOMI/DC original release, to the PS3/360 HD update, porting that to RingEdge, making a NESICA arcade version, and now PS4/Switch.
There is no Under Defeat on NesicaXLive.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

hamfighterx wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:14 pm (though they're making sure to keep squeezing what they can out of Mamoru-Kun).
IIRC a new Mamoru port was also alongside this.
I never did pick up the ps3 release, so I'm kinda excited for that
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Tokyo-J wrote:There is no Under Defeat on NesicaXLive.
Indeed, it was actually on the "All-Net" service/cabinets.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Thank you for the clarification!

I may have been mistaken on the platform, but the fundamental point remains: I still see Under Defeat regularly in Tokyo arcades on the multi network units because they went through the trouble of getting it onto one of those modern platforms (like a Nesica, Taito Type X, All-Net, whatever).

G.Rev definitely has put in some effort into continually re-releasing the game in various formats, they certainly have not been have unenthusiastic about the game (whether due to 360 port sales or any other reason). If anything, it’s the one game of theirs that they have milked the most. Border Down is the one they’ve ignored.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

m.sniffles.esq wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:29 pmBut I will say that g.rev did a very, very good job with it (even though you can't shoot the cows anymore, so I can't say it's perfect).
Udder Defeat
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Kobayashi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm
ケツイ wrote:Which version is better? 360 or PS3?
I don't want to create any kind of polemic here, but as owner of both versions, I conclude that the version for Xbox 360 is remarkably superior than PS3 version, mainly because the Xbox 360 version has a much smaller amount of slowdowns than the PS3 version. So if someone also has both consoles and is in doubt about which version to purchase, I recommend get the Xbox 360 version.

The exaggerated slowdowns present in the PS3 version definitely don't please me and to my understanding they harm the fluency of the game. In the graphic aspect, the version for Xbox 360 also pleases me more, already in the sound department I think that both are equivalent. The only real advantage I see from the PS3 version is the controller, because I like much more to play shmups with Dualshock 3 than with the Xbox 360 wireless controller.

In short: the Xbox 360 version is the winner.
The 360 version was generally seen as better due to having proper 3:4 display support (even if the original implementation was rather janky). I don't recall if the PS3 version received a patch that addressed the issue with displaying the game correctly on tate SD screens.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Kiken wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:32 pm The 360 version was generally seen as better due to having proper 3:4 display support (even if the original implementation was rather janky). I don't recall if the PS3 version received a patch that addressed the issue with displaying the game correctly on tate SD screens.
I recall a patch that resolved this and tightened up slowdown accuracy. I’m not sure what version was on NA PS3 discs, but it might be patched up. I’m also not sure how it compares to the 360 version post patch though.
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

ExitPlanetDust wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:54 pm
Kiken wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:32 pm The 360 version was generally seen as better due to having proper 3:4 display support (even if the original implementation was rather janky). I don't recall if the PS3 version received a patch that addressed the issue with displaying the game correctly on tate SD screens.
I recall a patch that resolved this and tightened up slowdown accuracy. I’m not sure what version was on NA PS3 discs, but it might be patched up. I’m also not sure how it compares to the 360 version post patch though.
I played it on PS3 and i think it has it.
However, Under Defead HD in 16:9 is the best SHMUPS in 16:9 I've ever tried <3

EDIT: not sure about the slow down.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Yeah, the 16:9 playfield Under Defeat HD works really well, I like it too. I still sometimes prefer the classic TATE presentation, so playing that via the DC version or 360 is my usual go-to, but the 16:9 is not bad!
BIL

Post by BIL »

While it's inevitably disappointing to see BD and Strania left out, that's no knock on UD - I'd feel the same if it was one of the games left behind. So this is a no-brainer for me, assuming (ofc) the port turns out right. I never did get the DC 2ALL.

BD has such an air of romance about it, being effectively latter-day Taito's dream Metal Black sequel. I've never even played Strania - I really just missed out on that entire console generation - so it should technically be my first choice of the two. But god damn, I'd go with BD in a heartbeat instead, it's magical. :cool:

EDIT: Crossposting from ShooterFes thread -
m.sniffles.esq wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:13 am Watching the Mikado footage now. It's been a while since I played Under Defeat but damn that game still looks great today.

That's what I'm talking about!
Even at the beginning, when I wasn't completely on board with the game itself, I still praised it with looking and playing like a completely modern title. I still remember my friend coming over, sticking his face like an inch away from the screen and exclaiming "the leaves blow! That's fucking CRAZY!" in amazement.
Yeah, it's an evergreen for sure! A lot of cinematic nous there, as expected of Maruyama's G-Darius + RayStorm cred. My favourite little thing was always the final stage's intro, which anyone who's heard it will remember. There's a bunch of other little things it feels criminal to spoil even now. An ongoing sense of being just part of a raging war, an important one for sure, but never far from the plaintive struggle of your allies and enemies alike.

Semi-OT, but I recently enjoyed a long-overdue casual 1CC of Edelweiss's Astebreed (as mentioned, totally missed that gen). Played with cutscenes totally disabled, as is very considerately offered. Had such a blast in the second stage, when amidst a furious dogfight, your flagship is taken out by a massive attack from offscreen, the enemy mech responsible rolling up in the background all "Sup motherfucker?" Your mech acknowledges it as a priority target, and you pursue it through all kinds of dangerous shit; an asteroid belt, an enemy minefield, etc. Totally wordless, made me think "Damn! It's like G-Rev!"

Then I enabled cutscenes, and the whole thing was collapsed under reams of voice-acted text. Image So now, I consider the former experience UD Mode. :cool:
hamfighterx wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:20 am I've also always loved the soundscape of Under Defeat. Not just the music (which I do like just fine), but also the crunchy AF sound effects, the radio chatter, the sub-weapon ready noises, the end of level jingle (coming right off of one of those huge explosions). It's all so impactful and just sounds great.
So stylish and useful, those subweapon cues. Knowing just from the gritty *KCHAKK* and amiable *beep* that your next Blue Rocket's locked and loaded is not only satisfying as hell, it's also a lifesaver in the heat of battle. I love it when game designers factor in real-world considerations like this... no matter how pretty that meter, chances are, I don't wanna be concentrating on it mid-battle!
Last edited by BIL on Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

BIL wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:32 pm While it's inevitably disappointing to see BD and Strania left out, that's no knock on UD - I'd feel the same if it too was left on Naomi/DC. So this is a no-brainer for me, assuming (ofc) the port turns out right. I never did get the DC 2ALL.

BD has such an air of romance about it, being effectively latter-day Taito's dream Metal Black sequel. I've never even played Strania - I really just missed out on that entire console generation - so it should technically be my first choice of the two. But god damn, I'd go with BD in a heartbeat instead, it's magical. :cool:
Well, until BD gets its well deserved remaster treatment...it can be easily emulated, looks gorgeous in upscaled 1080p. And you can make it even prettier by applying Reshade on its optics when feeling particulary sentimental. Just saying 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Necronom wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:50 pmWell, until BD gets its well deserved remaster treatment...it can be easily emulated, looks gorgeous in upscaled 1080p. And you can make it even prettier by applying Reshade on its optics when feeling particulary sentimental. Just saying 8)
Oh indeed, I keep one eye on the unofficial stuff! But you can't beat the vindication of seeing underdog heroes make it to the big leagues. :cool:

...assuming the port's good ofc. :lol: