Hori Fighting Stick 2 vs. Sega Saturn Virtua Stick (Ps2)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
autechre

Hori Fighting Stick 2 vs. Sega Saturn Virtua Stick (Ps2)

Post by autechre »

Hi,
I wanted to buy a Stick for my PS2 for playing shmups. I dont want to mod the Stick and i dont want to spend too much money. can anybody recommend one of these sticks for ps2?
Thank you

hori fighting stick : http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... f0ac613246

virtua stick: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... f0ac613246
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Virtua Stick, hands down. Much better stick+buttons.
autechre

Post by autechre »

Thanks for your help!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I've got both of these. The japanese Sega Virtua Stick totally destroys the Hori Fighting Stick 2 for shmups...
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
it290

Post by it290 »

I would recommend the Hori RAP over either, personally. It's a little more expensive than the Virtua, but only by about 10 bucks.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I concur with the HRAP.
I recently got one and it's a beaut. Not a bad starter stick either. If only they had more expanded releases of the Special Edition and Special Addition. From what I've discussed it appears they too are quite reliable.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

HRAP is hailed as THE best retail stick around. Although those news sega A-sticks might take the throne soon (if you can afford it :p)

Virtua Stick doesn't use sanwa parts at all, and are apparently a bit difficult to mod. It uses parts made by sega iirc.

I still think the best route is getting a dc agetec stick and modding it with a sanwa stick, but if yr gonna go retail.... it's either the HRAP or the Virtua Stick.

By the way limbrooke. what part of ontario are you from?
=/
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Kingbuzzo wrote: Virtua Stick doesn't use sanwa parts at all, and are apparently a bit difficult to mod. It uses parts made by sega iirc.
It's not that difficult to mod, compared to Agetec/Sega DC stick which is perhaps the most difficult. This newest PS2 version doesn't use 'Sega' parts, it is all Seimitsu (LS-33-01 stick, PS-15 buttons).
autechre

Post by autechre »

Kingbuzzo wrote:HRAP is hailed as THE best retail stick around. Although those news sega A-sticks might take the throne soon (if you can afford it :p)

Virtua Stick doesn't use sanwa parts at all, and are apparently a bit difficult to mod. It uses parts made by sega iirc.

I still think the best route is getting a dc agetec stick and modding it with a sanwa stick, but if yr gonna go retail.... it's either the HRAP or the Virtua Stick.

I already own a DC Stick. Is there a way to mod it to use it for both consoles (ps2 and dreamcast)? I heard those Pad converters often cause trouble?

So the Hori RAP has better quality parts than the virtua stick?

Thanks for all your help!
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Yellow/grey Namco sticks are the hardest to mod, DC agetecs aren't that hard at all.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Wrong.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

autechre wrote:I already own a DC Stick. Is there a way to mod it to use it for both consoles (ps2 and dreamcast)? I heard those Pad converters often cause trouble?

So the Hori RAP has better quality parts than the virtua stick?

Thanks for all your help!

yes there is, I'm in the middle of doing such a thing now.

You need to essentialy have wires going from the buttons of your dc pad to the buttons on a psx pad. Currently, there are no adapters for dc->ps2.

Modding a DC pad for ps2 + sanwa parts is probably one of the most frequent mods you'll see at all the fighting tournaments. A solid and cost effective solution.

I have my butons and directions soldered to a vga port on my stick, and I do the same with a psx pad, then connect the two with a vga cord, plug in the ps2 and yr ready to rock.

hacking the dc stick is easy as all hell but for a psx pad it's a bit trickier depending on which kind you use. I'd HIGHLY recomend the solderless hack seen on this website

http://home.comcast.net/~spiffyshoes/DualShockHack/

This guy shows how to mod it for semitsu parts (and sanwa soon)

http://www.tychom.org/stick/

oh ya, This guy is showing his process of modding the virtua stick for better parts and multiconsole support.

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108984

good luck!
=/
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Kingbuzzo wrote:HRAP is hailed as THE best retail stick around. Although those news sega A-sticks might take the throne soon (if you can afford it :p)

I'm the GTA. I ordered my HRAP from Play-Asia and it took 2 days, while Espgaluda from California took 12 :shock: .
Nice to meet you.

oxtsu: If the Virtua Stick has Seimitsu then that's a good stick too.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

Limbrooke wrote:I'm the GTA. I ordered my HRAP from Play-Asia and it took 2 days, while Espgaluda from California took 12 :shock: .
Nice to meet you.

so uuhh... london ontario? O_o

Virtua Stick definately does not have seimitsu parts.
=/
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Kingbuzzo wrote:
Limbrooke wrote:I'm the GTA. I ordered my HRAP from Play-Asia and it took 2 days, while Espgaluda from California took 12 :shock: .
Nice to meet you.

so uuhh... london ontario? O_o

Virtua Stick definately does not have seimitsu parts.

Oops, I meant GTA, so Greater Toronto Area.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

I've modded 3 DC agetecs, they're quite simple.

Namcos on the otherhand will not fit a JLF without some serious enginuity and without swapping the HORI shaft and actuator.

So, right back at you Oxstu :)
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

hahaha ... :) There's a much easier way to mod the Namco, while still retaining full Sanwa parts. Simply put spacer pipes in between the bottom panel and control housing. This is also useful for modding Hori T4/VF4/SCII sticks. The Sega DC stick on the other hand requires drilling and cutting. Not that difficult, less so with power tools, but more work than the Namco for sure.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

There's no fully reliable source for this,

but the folks at SRK say that the Virtua Stick has a seimitsu stick in it.

can someone clarify this?
=/
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Read my second post in this thread.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

hows the soul calibur II stick rate in the spectrum of off the shelf ps2 sticks? i've got a deal in the works where i can get two of them (jp, boxes included) shipped for less than a RAP or virtua (off play-asia) before shipping is tacked on.

and the only western online shop i know of that carries sticks is NCSX, and they are out of stock on everything...
I have no sig whatsoever.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Some infomation:

Sega Virtua Stick
33cm(L) x 22cm(W) x 5cm(H)
Customization Possibility: The joystick could not be removed :? , the base is thick enough to host Sanwa OBSF-30GS buttons.
(That means the joystick cannot be replaced when it finally failed.)

Hori RAP
40cm(L) x 24cm(W) x 8cm(H) (Huge?!?! :shock: )
Comes installed with Sanwa JLF
Customization Possibility:Can mounted a Seimitsu LS-32 for more sensitive shmups action, the base is thick enough to host Sanwa OBSF-30GS buttons.
Other Notes: It's very heavy.

Hori Fighting Stick 2
Don't know much about it.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
raiden

Post by raiden »

I´m getting curious: Is it true the Virtua stick has Seimitsu parts (especially: is the stick Seimitsu?) or isn´t it true? After comparing Seimitsu and Sanwa recently, I´m convinced Seimitsu is much better suited to my needs.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

if the PS2 Virtua stick has seimitsu parts, then it's probably the only one virtua stick to have them.

It looks to be much more comfortable than a hrap given it's smaller size. Although the Stick seems to sit a bit high for SF style gamplay.

some say that is has some issues with some adapters. I wouldn't mind trying this stick out with my dc adapters to see how it does.
=/