The Official Cool PCB You Just Got Thread!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: The Official Cool PCB You Just Got Thread!

Post by Sumez »

Congratulations! That is the best arcade game that was ever made. You probably paid good moneys for it as well, so treasure it well :D
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

I traded my Donpachi PCB for it :P .
And you are right - one of the best arcade games ever made :) + the replayability is endless 8) .
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Great trade on your end! ;)
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Dingsbum, very nice pickup, one of my favorites, though I do like Extra a little more (but it also costs more I believe). Big Bubble Bobble series fan I am. :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think Extra is around the same level. I'm not a fan of it personally, though I gotta admit I haven't played it much. Got a friend who has the board, and only got to pop a few credits in.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Sumez wrote:I think Extra is around the same level. I'm not a fan of it personally, though I gotta admit I haven't played it much. Got a friend who has the board, and only got to pop a few credits in.
I do find Extra quite a bit more difficult, plus the items in the silver doors must be manipulated to whatever item you want it to be (big book of continues for after world 7, fast run shoes, extra rainbows, wings, etc..)

http://tech.quarterarcade.com/tech/MAME ... l.aspx?g=0 lines 61-158 tell a bit more about Extra and how things work.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I meant market price wise.
I agree Extra definitely feels more difficult, but it's hard to compare when I don't have the same amount of experience with it. Normal RI does take a few islands before it starts putting up a fight.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Sumez wrote:I meant market price wise.
I agree Extra definitely feels more difficult, but it's hard to compare when I don't have the same amount of experience with it. Normal RI does take a few islands before it starts putting up a fight.
My experience has come via Taito Memories personally as I don't collect PCB's, but right out the gate you get the Darius enemies shooting at you. The bosses are also a hell of a lot more aggressive.

I was also trying to find price differences on Ebay between RI and RIE, but all I run into for RIE is the pricey MD version (amazing how much more it costs now than it did when I got a manualless copy for $18 a few years ago. FM Towns RIE is incredibly expensive). Would love to see how much an RIE PCB goes for out of curiosity.
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

Bloodreign wrote:Dingsbum, very nice pickup, one of my favorites, though I do like Extra a little more (but it also costs more I believe). Big Bubble Bobble series fan I am. :mrgreen:
Thanks :) . I'm not really a fan of Rainbow Islands Extra, mainly because of one thing - they changed the fucking music :evil: .
Bloodreign wrote:
Sumez wrote:I meant market price wise.
My experience has come via Taito Memories personally as I don't collect PCB's, but right out the gate you get the Darius enemies shooting at you. The bosses are also a hell of a lot more aggressive.

I was also trying to find price differences on Ebay between RI and RIE, but all I run into for RIE is the pricey MD version (amazing how much more it costs now than it did when I got a manualless copy for $18 a few years ago. FM Towns RIE is incredibly expensive). Would love to see how much an RIE PCB goes for out of curiosity.
Yes Rainbow Islands Extra is more difficult but as I said the dealbreaker for me with the Extra version is the music. Nearly every port of Rainbow Islands is expensive nowadays :? . The PCBs of Rainbow Islands & Rainbow Islands Extra are in the same ballpark - which (sadly) means 400 - 500 Euro :? :? :? .
Yes I remember when the MD port (the only port of the Extra version besides the FM Towns port) was around 20-30 Euro, the same with the PC Engine port. The only port that was always way more expensive as the others was the FM Towns port and it's one of the few versions I have never played :cry: .
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Bloodreign wrote: My experience has come via Taito Memories personally as I don't collect PCB's, but right out the gate you get the Darius enemies shooting at you. The bosses are also a hell of a lot more aggressive.
The enemies and bosses are switched around, so the "hard" enemies or bosses that appear earlier have been toned down and vice versa. (and let's be honest, all of the bosses in RI are piss easy to begin with :P)
The Darius enemies on the first island of Extra don't actually shoot at you, unlike in original RI where they appear on the penultimate island and almost every one of them shoots at you. I really love those stages!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ooh Pacman. Cool. *thumb*
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

Received a Guwange right before X-mas :mrgreen: Been in love with it since the first credit.

Stompp

Post by Stompp »

C'mon, folks. I can't be the only one buying stuffs :shock:

Anyways, this dropped in today :mrgreen:

Image Image
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

^ wow! Great scores stompp!
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
KnuckleheadFlow

Post by KnuckleheadFlow »

I think this is cool, it's probably not that big a deal, but when I saw this nasty ass maybe-Space-Invaders board for $30, there was only one reason I wanted it:

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

KnuckleheadFlow wrote:there was only one reason I wanted it:
You saw an opportunity to post a pic of a board peasants wouldn't be able to identify ?

Seriously guys the hipsterism in this thread is stupid, name your fucking pcbs.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Sumez's is clearly Deathsmiles, I can't tell what that ratty board is though, unless he just wanted it for the ceramic packaged CPU.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I was expecting most people in here to pretty easily be able to identify my board. Even if you aren't familiar with the CV1000 PCB, it has the Cave sticker right there on it.

No idea what Knucklehead's PCB, but it's definitely old, and it's definitely not Space Invaders. But from what I understood from the post, he didn't know what it was himself when he bought it, but got it for some other undetermined reason? Or am I misunderstanding?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I've owned CV1000 pcbs and seen plenty since every damn shmupper on Earth carries at least one around, they don't all come with the game's initials, or initials that mean the game's name, and physically they all look pretty damn near absolutely identical to me.
I've also seen tons of all kinds of boards in general but I was never obsessive enough to care to remember the many little details and form factors required to identify boards without the freaking game's title on it, no way in hell your average amateur can identify some random maybe three decades old board (if not older) covered in dust, without even a manufacturer/developer name showing, on a dark, low res picture. Sorry I don't know the all the IC's, chips and components by their little names.
I'm just saying posting boards pictures like that assuming every member of this community is a veteran collector, does not make the poster someone cool, useful or whatever. Just posh.
KnuckleheadFlow

Correct, I don't really care what the board is. The ground plane is delaminating pretty bad anyway.

Hipsterism? Lol this is nerdism. It is indeed about that white ceramic cpu, but I certainly wasn't trying to dickwag or anything, just share something I thought was cool and someone else may get a kick out of. Posh? Really? I have collected a couple CPUs here and there and I like it for historic reasons. Its the great grandfather of the x86 platform, and I'm pretty sure that someone here other than me could've IDed it.

That's an Intel 8080. It's the first microprocessor for the mass market and not for a particular customer. It went into the first microcomputers, which were the first time people considered the idea of a "home computer". Most Midway 8080 boards I've seen have had the black plastic ones. Don't know if they originally all had the the white ceramic and it was pulled or if this is just an early board.

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ok right that's super nerdy, but hip/posh surely as well if you already know it's not something anyone would identify yet expect at least one would.
Well, maybe that would be a blast on a vintage computer tech forum where near-retirement engineers have fun.

Anyway I wasn't speaking to you exclusively, just saying the goddam 'show dont tell' thing people often do in this thread is annoying and I know they do it on purpose, what's ridiculous is that the post following the picture posted without even a clue invariably will be "wow cool game" (by the guy who knows but wont say the title either) or "huh what game is this?" by the baited fool.
It's no big deal, ok, but that makes it one of the stupidiest threads.
KnuckleheadFlow

I see your point. "Are you cool enough to ID what I've got" gets annoying and I hadn't read through enough to notice that it'd become a thing. Bad timing on my part I suppose, I'm not too good at posting.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Part this because it's childish but also because I am genuinely curious to see what people got (sometimes pretty rare and obscure stuff!) but when this happens I'm like "ack, not again".

EDIT: anyway thanks for showing us that cpu if it's indeed a piece of history
KnuckleheadFlow

Now seeing the inspected sticker's date of Feb 14 1976, this can't be Space Invaders. The seller themselves didn't know and was only speculating. Looking at System 16's listings it can be Amazing Maze, Gun Fight, Midnight Racer, Sea Wolf or Tornado Baseball.

As for the cpu's historicalness; take a look at Microsoft hq's local phone number: (425) 882-8080. Paul Allen and Bill Gates wrote their first product, Altair Basic for the Altair 8800, about a year before this particular chip was made. Thing is, they wrote it with an 8080 emulator on a PDP-10, forgot to write a bootstrap for it and Allen finished it on the flight delivering the punched tape to the company, without having ever tested it with a real 8080!

Edit: If anyone cares, I'm pretty sure this board is Gun Fight. If so, it's a game with a few other firsts. First game to show human vs human combat, first on foot shooter. It's like the great-great-grandfather of FPSes. It's also the first video game running on a microprocessor. Maybe it's worth the effort of trying to restore the board, just for the sake of preservation.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Randomly came across another Pacman board on the way home from work today. I have no idea what to do with all of these.

BBQTKZ

Post by BBQTKZ »

Got myself a Tetris: The Grand Master board a couple months back. Working on getting a supergun together so I can actually play it.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

The long search is over :D
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

Finally a Mushi board you actually reeled in and didn't miss by a minute :lol:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Nice FrancoB volt meter!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.