Dogyuun [Arcade]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Dogyuun [Arcade]

Post by Perikles »

If there ever was a thread in dire need of an update, it'd be this one. The old one can be found here.

One word on scoring: as some of you may know, it's technically broken in this game. It would appear that bosses don't time out (or at least some of them) which means you can either sit there with an enemy in tow or - even goofier - you could toss out an armour over and over and over again for a few points ad nauseam. I'm not going to object if someone exploits those glaring oversights, Toaplan really should've known better at that point in time, but it looks like no one so far abused it, so I do recommend just playing regularly. As you can see, the bulk of your score just comes from advancing in the game, the first half of each subsequent loop is worth more than the entire loop before it, it's not like it's a complex task to get a better result.

Score posts in this format, please:

Name - Score - Stage

Code: Select all

Name                 Score     Stage
1.  Perikles           14,669,540   3-5
2.  Dragoforce         12,277,930   3-2
3.  Baron Rojo          4,176,070   2-2
4.  maximo              3,325,550   2-2
5.  Ruldra              3,320,580   2-1 
6.  Jaimers             3,274,720   2-2
7.  Chempop             2,660,040   1-9
8.  Gwürz!              2,493,500   1-9
9.  CHI                 1,736,430   1-6
10. freddiebamboo       1,724,080   1-6
11. Stevens             1,545,410   1-7
12. PlasmaBlooD         1,344,250   1-5
13. Iori Branford       1,151,760   1-4
14. Akraten             1,124,200   1-4
15. drboom              1,111,970   1-4 
16. Enhasa              1,071,200   1-4
17. IJC                 1,061,050   1-3
18. Squire Grooktook    1,035,130   1-3 
19. spadgy              1,028,890   1-4
20. ave                 1,019,100   1-3
21. evilmaxwar            954,650   1-4
22. Ed Oscuro             925,850   1-3
23. jammiejay85           686,850   1-3
24. mr_m0nks              491,800   1-3
25. roadrunner            342,190   1-3
Last edited by Perikles on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Perikles

Re: Dogyuun [Arcade]

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 4,818,780 - 2-3

Video

Thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll definitely come back to it later and put some actual effort into it.
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

This game has some regional differences that are actually quite important.

The Europe and USA regions are easier than the other Asian regions (Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc.) Additionally, there are many region settings in MAME that disable the blue speedup/side fighter items. There is also a 'location test' romset where getting hit with a bomb in stock does not make you lose a life.

maximo should be 7th.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

KoopaTGR wrote:The Europe and USA regions are easier than the other Asian regions (Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc.)
Do you know of any examples? I've tested different regions and couldn't find any salient differences. If there are any, they must be negligible.
KoopaTGR wrote:Additionally, there are many region settings in MAME that disable the blue speedup/side fighter items. There is also a 'location test' romset where getting hit with a bomb in stock does not make you lose a life.
Good to know that, thanks for the information! I suppose you shouldn't play with those settings/sets then. :mrgreen: "Bomb in stock" refers to the explosive armament, I presume?
KoopaTGR wrote:maximo should be 7th.
Corrected, thanks for the remark once more.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

The European versions apparently had slower bullets, and bosses died much faster compared to the Japanese version according to some people.

I should really try to get back into this game and finally loop it.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Got curious and checked the entire first loop of the Japanese Dogyuun this time. Here's what I found and consequentially think:

- I can say with certainty that bosses only have an insignificant amount of health more in this version, I couldn't notice anything. Against several bosses this is fairly easy to check since you can either count the cycles, look at the marched distance in case of the fourth boss or you can measure how often the final boss explodes when hitting the eye (indicating how much you damage it) and after disposing the two arms. All of that was pretty much identical.

- The same is true for the resilience of regular enemies and mid-bosses. Those sections where you can use the red homing laser for great effect are also in place in the Japanese version.

- General enemy behaviour is likewise congruent. There are no attack patterns or special abilities which might've been cut in the Western versions.

- Bullet speed might be slightly faster in the Japanese version, although not significantly so and, most importantly, it really doesn't affect anything regarding the route you might want to take through a stage or the weapon you have to pick. Granted, with one small exception: the bikers in the seventh stage shoot earlier which will force you to drop the red laser and take them out with something else (preferably blue). You still hug the bottom of the screen, though, and nothing else changes.

I don't think it warrants a split like Tatsujin Ou/Truxton II where the difference in enemy stamina/belligerence can make or break a tricky part and as a result the entire run because some horrific chain reactions ensue. I don't know if there are more substantial differences in higher loops, for the time being I'm just going to leave everything as is unless someone has a decidedly different view on the matter.

I also want to warn everyone in this thread: make absolutely sure to take out the lower part of the seventh boss before retreating to the safe spot in the upper left and destroying the main section. You'll be stuck with a boss exploding for all eternity if you don't do it in this order, you can't even kill yourself to try anew.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles wrote:I also want to warn everyone in this thread: make absolutely sure to take out the lower part of the seventh boss before retreating to the safe spot in the upper left and destroying the main section. You'll be stuck with a boss exploding for all eternity if you don't do it in this order, you can't even kill yourself to try anew.
Quick, yet important addendum: it seems like you can actually proceed even without taking out the lower section. Wait for the boss to get into critical health (easily observable by the patches of spark) and then gently fire one wave of the red laser after another instead of pummling the boss. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but my guess is that you either have to take out both parts or you have to make sure that the laser only hits the upper part. If you hold down the fire button and the laser writhes around both the main part and, after its destruction, the lower part, it might confuse the game somehow as to whether the boss is still alive and - consequentially - the stage is over or not.

This also allows you to immediately hide in the upper left corner for guaranteed protection instead of having to deal with the boss for a moment and potentially getting crushed in the corner because the boss changed its pattern. You do lose out on a few points, but I think it's well worth it.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 9,245,700 - 2-9

Curses! Only lost one life in the first loop, made it all the way to 2-9 and then lost all my four remaining lives on that merciless checkpoint before the mid-boss... Detonated the armament a split second too late... I also played the Japanese version this time, just to be safe.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 14,669,540 - 3-5

Video

Hood's marble balls on an anvil, it is done! No deaths in the first loop, some painful (in more than one manner) deaths in the second loop and the wrong weapon for the final boss which - unbeknownst to me - carried over to the third loop which had me close to terror. As a redress I had an amazing sequence towards the end of 3-4 where I had no idea what I was doing, yet I survived. I died shortly thereafter, but still! :mrgreen:

If I were a better player I'd certainly try to beat the third and perhaps even the elusive fourth loop - since I barely can keep up with the bullet speed of the second loop, though, there's not much of a point, I'm afraid. There's no way I would ever get past the enfilade in the ninth stage in loops 3 & 4 without an indecorous amount of fortune.

On a minor note: Dogyuun is also responsible for some unexpected other clears. I was so despondent after one botched attempt that I played one impulsive credit of DDP - which ended in a 1-ALL. I didn't surmise such an outcome would be realistic, and after getting the result above I also tried DonPachi - it took two credits to 1-ALL that one. Buoyant from that, I even tackled Sengoku Blade whose first loop took likewise only two attempts. None of those results are impressive, of course, but I'm quite pleased nonetheless. :mrgreen:
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

On a minor note: Dogyuun is also responsible for some unexpected other clears.
FREAKIN BOSS

Can't wait for you to become the next danmaku overlord!
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

maximo-2,837,350- 2-1

Thanks to Perikles' helpful vids, I decided to come back to this game after getting stuck in the past at 1-7/1-8. I'm a bit miffed that i died early on in the first area in loop 2, but i think I can improve on that with subsequent runs and less deaths.

The Euro version is the version I used, although I do plan on clearing the japanese version as well for comparison.

Another strat that I'd highly reccomend for the 9th boss is to use red+ bomb to take out the gunarm and then park yourself in front of the missile hole on the boss's body for an easy victory compared to other methods.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Great work, maximo310, always a delight to see more Dogyuun clears! :) One should not think that this game would be so addictive what with the somewhat disjointed stage structure, but the "one-core-trait-per-stage" aspect works surprisingly well, I find. I'll be looking forward to more activity/discoveries!
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Perikles wrote:Great work, maximo310, always a delight to see more Dogyuun clears! :) One should not think that this game would be so addictive what with the somewhat disjointed stage structure, but the "one-core-trait-per-stage" aspect works surprisingly well, I find. I'll be looking forward to more activity/discoveries!
Indeed; its does make up somewhat for the stage design and gameplay ( which I find a bit long for my taste). I actually got a jp 1-all today, but since the score is lower than the euro clear, i'll just post the replay here: https://youtu.be/IGgpE_UpmiU
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

maximo- 3,325,550- 2-2

Somewhat of a small gain for the time being. I think i need more lives entering loop 2. JP version.
Last edited by maximo310 on Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
seraph

Post by seraph »

DOGYUUUUUUUUUN!!!!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stevens - 1,545,410 - 1-7

Have begun making significant progress the last few days. EU version.

1,705,100 1-7. Not enough to leapfrog anyone, but getting.
My lord, I have come for you.
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Japan
Jaimers - 3,274,720 - 2-2

Video

Runs done on either the Japan or Europe version should most definitely have separate scoreboards.
Europe version is very significantly easier.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

So this game clicked with me after a bunch of plays.
It's the way the Thruster power up works in combination with the weapon system. Zipping across the screen with the thrusters is very satisfying.
The presentation is top notch. Only made it past the scorpion boss. Having a blast with this.
I'll eventually post pics of my scores etc as well as pics of my current set up with MAME and ReShade.(really got it looking vibrant with bloom and a sort of crt tube effect. It's always fun to twiddle the settings and make it look awesome while not over doing it!)
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

So I'm approaching this with 5 credits at a time and sort of playing with more of a conservative mindset in that I'm savoring every moment. Learning as much as I can with the short bursts of playtime that I give this game.(around 30~ minutes and then take a break). I've got a long way to go. A work in progress indeed.
I am falling in love with this game though in way. I just can't get over the whole package that it brings. The colors and sprite work in combination with the YM2151 soundtrack makes this look like a supped up 16 bit mega drive game. The twangy/metallic sound of FM(when done right) brings such satisfaction. Especially since this is a STG - the mind set when creating the soundtrack has got to be more on the adrenaline pumping/energetic side and Tatsuya Uemura delivers.
Meriscan

Post by Meriscan »

Myketosis wrote:Image

So I'm approaching this with 5 credits at a time and sort of playing with more of a conservative mindset in that I'm savoring every moment. Learning as much as I can with the short bursts of playtime that I give this game.(around 30~ minutes and then take a break). I've got a long way to go. A work in progress indeed.
I am falling in love with this game though in way. I just can't get over the whole package that it brings. The colors and sprite work in combination with the YM2151 soundtrack makes this look like a supped up 16 bit mega drive game. The twangy/metallic sound of FM(when done right) brings such satisfaction. Especially since this is a STG - the mind set when creating the soundtrack has got to be more on the adrenaline pumping/energetic side and Tatsuya Uemura delivers.
Perikles isn't active anymore and the score thread has been moved to here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66423