Blue Revolver

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Danbo

Re: Blue Revolver

Post by Danbo »

marus wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTaIct_7Y6g

I've run into this bug a few times before but this is the first time I've caught it on video. When playing as Mae with the Hyper Laser, sometimes in the first phase of the stage 2 boss your special weapon sprite will cover the enemy bullets. This only happens occasionally and I'm not sure how to reproduce it.
hm, i'll look into it
-S.L- wrote: So this game MUST be released on Nesica with a retouch (visual and gameplay), because it has a huge potential.
thanks for your input, but this is almost certainly not happening. we recently patched in two options for helping with reading the screen, and we're happy to listen to any more suggestions people might have on that front. while we thank everyone for their support of the game, simply put it's not financially viable to sink such a huge amount of time into doing something like that.
SuperSoaker360 wrote:So far my only qualm with the game is that there's a lot of dead-air once you start memoing.
yes, sadly. i don't think it kills the game but it does show it up at times. having a game with such a variable amount of damage the player can output puts more stress on the level design than a simpler system might have. one other thing that never really dawned on me until it was too late to change: every non-defense special weapon demands for you to be right below enemies to operate efficiently. this way i can put enemies left, right, left, right or whatever and keep the player constantly moving about while being under attack from other areas of the screen. the exception is the arc caster (the most popular s.weapon!), which allows for players to very safely and lazily clear the screen. this puts more stress on the level design. it's not a case of it being overpowered so much as it just being a very braindead to use weapon. so i'm trying to think about what to do.

if we return to STGs, the priority will be to get stage design absolutely dead on. i'm not making excuses, i'm just saying this project's nature put lots of stress on something that i never got 100% perfect.
Winane wrote:-The delay switching to focused movement speed makes sense when the player is holding just the regular fire button, for the sake of anyone using a controller with not quite enough buttons for full-auto.
But why is there a delay to slowing down the ship when the player is already holding the Rapid-Fire button when pressing Fire? I'm used to using that as sort of a brake pedal in danmaku STGs, but here that don't work too good. :(
I mean, responsiveness and tight control are pretty important in this genre, aren't they? Kinda like why I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in disliking the momentum often found in arena shmups.

Though I suppose the slowdown delay does help a bit to prevent the game from feeling too much like same old, same old. And most of the game does seem to be reasonably balanced around the delay. Plus, I expect folks like Grooktook probably love the way it encourages macrododging over micrododging.
Anyway, IIRC that kind of delay is the main reason I hardly ever play Hitogata Happa (despite loving most other aspects of that game), and I was almost ready to set this game aside as well, before discovering that somehow or other maybe it's really not so bad after all in this one.
(And by the time I got around to typing this up, I'd sorta reached the point of hoping you don't take my implicit suggestion to change it. Which is fortunate, given that I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have, anyway, right?)

someone else brought this up too. it's probably a good idea, but i'm kind of loath to change it - who knows how many people don't have a problem with the current behaviour and suddenly have the rug pulled out from under them and start crashing into bullets all over the place. random changes to baseline movement post-release are something nobody wants in a STG!

-Would be good if the high score tables indicated which ship/shot/special types were used, and what stage reached.

this kind of stuff will be on the leaderboards when they happen, and the offline highscore table will also probably get this type of thing then too.

-Would be really nice if Missions mode kept track of the player's highest score for each completed mission (either separately for A+ and non-A+, or only for full A+ clears, or no distinction between the two, whichever way).
That would help provide more to aim for, even after earning the top grade.

i'm sort of a fan of how they work right now, honestly. however, i'm looking into adding experimental weapon, lightning round and invisible bullet as bonus modes you can play the full game in

-Might be nice to do the same for stage select mode, as well. Could probably help for comparing scoring paths & armament selection options.

the achievement patch (couple of days) will feature some light stat tracking, like individual PBs for each stage. i think this probably achieves the same thing

-Could you add some kind of audio cue when bosses/large enemies are about to die or reach a health bar divider, à la DonPachi or Touhou?

i don't really see a huge reason to? could maybe pitch shift the bullet impact sound like touhou, but it might be hard to hear over everything else...

-I'd like an option to remember the previously used name when registering high scores (i.e., hit z once to confirm, or x to backspace to change it), rather than having to reinput the name every dang time.

i find it satisfying to slam down my initials if i did good, personally. and the gameplay option menu is getting crowded, heh. but i'll try.

-In the gallery, if you select the first picture, hit left to go to the last picture, then hit x to go back to the thumbnail gallery, the thumbnails don't appear and you're left with nothing but the background image.
(Or is that intentional, to let the user get an unobstructed view of the wallpaper?)

oh cool! i could never replicate this bug and i figured it wasn't a huge issue. this can get fixed now, cheers

-With debug info on, what is the fraction that's displayed under the rank level?

i never actually intended to ship the game with the debug info option visible... a bit silly. anyway the fraction is the raw rank number and the threshold required to go up to the next rank level.

-Yeah, I agree that the selection highlighting on the main select screen is a bit visually confusing.

noted

-When using Val's cluster missiles, I often find myself reflexively trying to dodge my own shots from their explosions, since they look a bit too much like enemy bullets at a glance. Was that an intentional downside to using that weapon?

haven't really heard this from many other people. wasn't intended either way

-Have you already considered enabling Hyper Laser battles during "Press" (à la DDP or Dariusburst)? (I'm not necessarily suggesting it should work that way, but I half expected it to when I first got there with laser equipped.)

it'd be a funny easter egg

-Is the slowdown during some of the regular last boss's attacks intentional, or is that just my computer not being up to the task?

no slowdown is intentional. "revolver" tends to stress a few machines. i've never been too sure why, it's never felt like a huge step up from spam patterns. though it was the only pattern where i went in with the express intent of making something a bit dramatic and pretty.

-Is there any way to fight the TLB in stage practice mode? Would be nice if that's somehow unlockable.

as soon as you encounter the TLB, you can practice it. but you do have to set mode to parallel for it to be visible.

-Isn't the player's hitbox a bit asymmetrical (1 pixel to the right of center, but 2 to the left, relative to the ships' sprites)?

no, this is a quirk in the way the game shows hitboxes. it's 2x2, centered in the middle of the sprite.

-How about adding a "random select" option for each item in the soundtrack selection menu, to randomly choose between the unlocked BGMs for each section each time the game is played?
-Also, maybe randomized wallpaper?

-Would be kinda nice if controls could be modified just one button at a time. Slight nuisance to have to type in every single input just to change the pause button from 'esc' to 'space'.

one thing they never tell you in school is how much sublime agony there is in coding an input mapping menu. currently it works, it works better than tons of games (bindable keyboard!), and i'd rather save the headaches for things like replays.

-Upon completing a run in stage select mode, would probably make more sense to return to the stage select screen, rather than to the title screen.

noted

-Why no dialogue with some of the bosses when playing as Val?

er, i'd have thought this would be a bit obvious

-Trivial, but in the tutorial: "machinegun" -> either "machine gun" or "machine-gun"

noted
Spoiler
-Shouldn't it be "I'm calling in sick today"? (Also, seems like rather a brief ending for Val. :/ )

-"Well, what do you want from me!" <- missing a question mark.

-Doesn't the "Oof!" come in a little bit late, relative to the timing of the picture changes? Well, I guess it's okay, though.

-"from the bottom of our hearts" -> should be "bottoms", I think.

-(I was going to suggest in-house penetration testing as an alternate premise for playable Val, but I guess that wouldn't really work with her TLB.)

all noted. val ended up as a playable character on a bit of a whim. i think that explains a few things.

-What determines whether the player's ship gets blown up after beating the last boss?

the TLB? it always gets blown up. the player character's device has been pushed to its breaking point, hence why it exudes junk data more and more throughout the fight
Spoiler
-Rum = boy & Ale = girl, right?

i believe so!

-Is Mae the type of character to say "イシシシ!"?

...i can't answer this! ask woof!

-I think I want to marry Nayuki Yuzu's voice. <3

it's very nice.
-Big thanks for Missions mode. I especially love the Experimental Weapon one, feels a bit reminiscent of playing Shoot the Bullet.

-Just in case it doesn't go without saying:
I wouldn't have bothered typing all this up if I didn't think this was a great game. =)
responses in bold. it doesn't bug me when people type up lots of stuff like this at all.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

So I'm having the biggest bug.

Today I wanted to try the alternate bullet colors in the option/gameplay menu, I also put Kiosk Mode ON, two things I've never tried before.

Playing a normal run, die, want to go back to the menu to change again the bullet colors back to normal.

And from the Press Any Key screen, when i press any button (actually, only the special weapons button would do something) , i go straight to a run, without even having the Menu page.

Now it's impossible to go back to the options, I have only one option, playing straight away.

I've uploaded a very short video to shows what's going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1ey6sk5o0bjq ... 2.MOV?dl=0

I'll have to uninstall the game (if thats even possible, never tried with Steam) :evil:
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

hold bomb+special weapon at the title screen to get out of kiosk mode
even the option menu tells you that when you turn it on
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

what is Kiosk mode anyway ? :?:
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

-S.L- wrote:what is Kiosk mode anyway ? :?:
It is for running the game at an event or similar. Like if you ran the game on a cabinet for an event you'd use kiosk mode to get gameplay going quickly and deter random people from accessing the options. I don't believe most players have a use for that option, but I think it is interesting to have.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Danbo wrote:yes, sadly. i don't think it kills the game but it does show it up at times. having a game with such a variable amount of damage the player can output puts more stress on the level design than a simpler system might have.
Well the good thing is that it doesn't detract from the scoring system of the game but survival-wise it can get a bit lonely. :wink:

Also for Kiosk mode, whenever you do get around to implementing replays you should definitely add in a demo/attract sequence when sitting at the title.
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Winane

Post by Winane »

How about making it so that kiosk mode is activated by a command-line parameter, instead of a menu option?
-Could you add some kind of audio cue when bosses/large enemies are about to die or reach a health bar divider, à la DonPachi or Touhou?

i don't really see a huge reason to?
Really? Wouldn't it make it a lot easier to aim for some of the break bonuses, or to hold off on landing the final shots until you've got a chain built up? Or to judge whether a bomb or special weapon is really needed, or if you just need to hold out for a brief moment longer instead?
Danbo wrote: could maybe pitch shift the bullet impact sound like touhou, but it might be hard to hear over everything else...
That'd be ideal for me. I'm fine with subtle, as long as it's usually perceptible. Would it be especially troublesome to implement?
Danbo wrote: as soon as you encounter the TLB, you can practice it.
Ah, perfect, exactly the way I was hoping it'd be!
Danbo wrote: er, i'd have thought this would be a bit obvious
Spoiler
[s]Well, dreams can have dialog, even between coworkers, can't they? ??? [What, no confused smiley on this board!?]
Or were you just referring to the previously-mentioned last minute-ness of Val's inclusion as a playable character?[/s] [And no strike-through, either!?]
Wait, haha, whoops, my bad, hang on, now that I actually pay some attention to the first three Val-route boss intro portraits:
Who is Val's stage 1/2/3 boss? I don't recognize the portrait from any of the other character art I've seen. ???
Danbo wrote: taking the extra time to try to ship replays instead of just saying "fuck that they're never appearing" is already going against my better judgement in a business sense.
Well, for whatever it's worth, it's likely I wouldn't have plunked down twenty bucks on the game if I hadn't seen that you'd promised to implement replays later on. Those're pretty useful to me. Plus, figuring out how to get it all working properly now, won't that experience come in handy in future projects as well?
(Incidentally, maybe I should mention, I wouldn't have purchased a copy at any price, if it weren't available completely DRM-free. So, thanks a ton for that decision! And the native Linux support is also much appreciated!)
(Ah, I sound too finicky now, don't I? :oops: )
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Found a bug I think? In Mission Mode, Mission 21 displays Val Narrow equipped with Stasis but when you actually start the mission, you play as Mae Narrow with Plasma Lancer. I'm unsure of which is supposed to be the right one. :?

Image Image
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

achievements are now live on the steam build! need to figure out exactly what people want for stat tracking so it's delayed just a bit

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/439490/achievements

two tiny bugfixes (like the post just above mine)

http://bluerevolvergame.com/patchnotes/
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Danbo wrote:achievements are now live on the steam build! need to figure out exactly what people want for stat tracking so it's delayed just a bit

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/439490/achievements

two tiny bugfixes (like the post just above mine)

http://bluerevolvergame.com/patchnotes/
Now my achievement-whoring ass can start to play this again! :D
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
MaXXX

Post by MaXXX »

Didn't get the achievements for killing the bosses, probably because I had free play active. Although I did get the one for clearing the game. Would be nice if the achievements were disabled only if you'd actually used a continue, rather than just when free play is active.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

MaXXX wrote:Didn't get the achievements for killing the bosses, probably because I had free play active. Although I did get the one for clearing the game. Would be nice if the achievements were disabled only if you'd actually used a continue, rather than just when free play is active.
noted!

blue revolver, as well as the soundtrack, is 33% off ($10) in the autumn steam sale! if you haven't bought the game yet, or want to buy a copy for a friend, now's your chance.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

The alternate color scheme for the bullets is a game-changer. Finally making some progress in 1cc'ing this!

Also, has anyone in here figured out all the breaks for the bosses?
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
marus

Post by marus »

I'm not sure if it's written down anywhere, but I go over most of them in my last replay if you watch with annotations. I might end up writing a little mini-guide for this game in the Strategy section if no one else does it.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Hey Danbo, Steam Cloud seems to be broken. :( I was preparing to download and play BR on an upcoming flight I have, but after downloading the game on my laptop my save file is back to square one. No data was synced.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Oniros wrote:Hey Danbo, Steam Cloud seems to be broken. :( I was preparing to download and play BR on an upcoming flight I have, but after downloading the game on my laptop my save file is back to square one. No data was synced.
sounds like an issue with steam client somehow. i dont have much control over steam cloud, i just say "yeah sync these files here and here". is it a different OS?
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Danbo wrote:
Oniros wrote:Hey Danbo, Steam Cloud seems to be broken. :( I was preparing to download and play BR on an upcoming flight I have, but after downloading the game on my laptop my save file is back to square one. No data was synced.
sounds like an issue with steam client somehow. i dont have much control over steam cloud, i just say "yeah sync these files here and here". is it a different OS?
Windows 10 on both cases.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I belatedly discovered this last week and have been playing it a lot since. Really great! I can feel the Raizing-ness, but it's got its own vibe. The scoring is really addicting, and the music... damn. This and Mecha Ritz have really impressed me this year, hats off to danbo, woof, and qygen.

Anyone working on a strategy guide/page? (this has been helpful) I'd like to know all the Break reqs in particular. I haven't resorted to watching any replays yet... getting to around st4 on Hyper, with Mae+Hyper Laser.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
marus

Post by marus »

I did a little bit of work on a guide but then never got around to finishing it due to laziness. I can flesh out some of it and post what I can by tonight. At the very least I can write all of the Break requirements down by tonight, since I don't think that's written down anywhere and they are probably the most ambiguous part of the game.

Edit: Here it is. It's still a work in progress, but all of the Breaks are now listed out.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

v1.1 is (finally) available! Online leaderboards and replays, and a bunch of bonus stuff.

Site for the update: http://bluerevolvergame.com/summer2017/

Patchnote summary:
Leaderboards / Replays
  • Replay functionality available. The game will prompt you to save a replay upon finishing a run.
  • Leaderboard functionality available through Steam. You can upload your score to the leaderboards alongside saving a replay.
  • Note that using the "Continue" function will disable replays and leaderboard upload for that run.
  • Note: Due to technical reasons, replay and leaderboard functionality is Windows-only.
Weapon Changes
  • Increased the unfocused damage for both Wide shot types.
  • Increased damage across the board for Variable shot types.
  • Improved the handling for Val Variable shot type.
  • The unfocused player speed is now slightly modified according to the shot type selected. Power shot is unaffected. (Power > Variable > Wide)
  • Val's Hyper Laser is now a powerful single-shot beam with splash damage. Versatile and powerful, but inefficient.
  • Change to scoring mechanics for Defense weapons: Flourish mode activates as soon as the button is pushed, flourish drains slower while defense weapons are active.
  • Cluster Missiles now deal damage more consistently over their area of effect.
Dynamic Difficulty Adjustments (Hyper Mode Only)
  • Upon hitting Rank Level 5, the bar will drain instead of increase, until the player is back at Level 4.
  • The drain rate is affected by the number of lives in stock - less lives, less time in Level 5.
  • Dying at Level 4 or 5 will reduce rank to Level 3.
  • Dying at Level 3 or under will reduce rank to Level 1.
Experimental Weapon Mode
  • Experimental Weapon mode is available! You have no bombs and a weak main gun, but access to 3 new special weapons.
  • Each special weapon can be purchased in the Unlocks menu.
  • Scrap Option - The shotgun-like explosive options from "Experimental Weapon". Excellent screen coverage.
  • Plasma Blade - Val's short-range, fast-firing variant of the Plasma Lancer. Great efficiency.
  • Junk Cannon - Fires streams of sticky, damaging junk data. Massive damage.
  • Ammo refills slowly on its own - collecting score items will also refill it.
  • Game difficulty locked to Hyper mode.
  • Score items are harder to collect.
Break Guide
Break Guide is available in the Extras menu! You can now view a short clip of each break bonus being performed.

The Small Stuff
  • Kiosk mode is now a command-line switch (-kiosk) instead of a gameplay option.
  • Lowered the draw priority of special weapon projectiles. This should lower the number of cases where they are drawn over enemy bullets. ​
  • Fixed a bug where the “bomber” enemy in stage 2 does something very strange when it leaves.
  • Changed the way the main menu is drawn to make it more readable.
  • Added “Stage Clear” text to intermission screen.
  • Fixed a bug with the rank bar on Normal difficulty.
  • Fixed a bug with progress achievements and the free play option.
v1.1 is available free on Steam right now - DRM-free builds will be available on itch.io and Humble tomorrow (after ensuring there are no problems with the update). Huge apology to everyone who was waiting for this, the wait is inexcusable and the blame lies squarely with me.
Keade

Post by Keade »

Thank you !

PS. the game is 7.49€ on Steam right now (summer sales), I think it is the lowest price so far.
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

Yeah I'm picking it up. Thanks for the game!
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

After seeing the timing for this update, I decided to change my Steam review. Nothing more than I can say about it really.
Squire Grooktook wrote:

*cue Heavy Day*
blackrabite

Post by blackrabite »

Neat patch notes there! Lookin' forward to givin' the game another spin now that I have a good 240p CRT setup my comp. Thanks!
zakk

Post by zakk »

Danbo wrote:
Note: Due to technical reasons, replay and leaderboard functionality is Windows-only.
:( noooooooooooo
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Oniros wrote:After seeing the timing for this update, I decided to change my Steam review. Nothing more than I can say about it really.
Left a quick comment - There's no excuse for it taking this long or for there being no communication, all I can say is that I respect and understand your opinion and that I've learned some painful lessons.

I don't intend to mislead anyone with the timing of the update, but more than that I don't want it to feel like I've punished you for supporting us during launch week.

This weekend I'm going to do a writeup of the road leading up to this update, I'll post it here if you're interested. If not, sorry to have turned you away.
Keade wrote:Thank you !

PS. the game is 7.49€ on Steam right now (summer sales), I think it is the lowest price so far.
Yes, 50% off, lowest price so far and more than likely for a long time.
marus

Post by marus »

Better late than never! I'm looking forward to giving this game another spin :)
clippa

Post by clippa »

Oniros wrote:After seeing the timing for this update, I decided to change my Steam review. Nothing more than I can say about it really.
Wow, that is so petty and bitter. 1.9 hours on record. I've played this game for 60 hours and enjoyed every minute of it. It was worth every penny, it was the best game of 2016. The fact that it's been patched with more features and is on sale so more people can enjoy it is a great thing. Why are you upset about that?
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

So, Steam-only from now on? I do know where pretty much all the players and money are, but can I at least close Steam and still run the game?
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

What a vadge, this was afaik danbos first proper game release and like anything we all learn lessons and grow as we go through the motions, the mans taken full responsibility and rectified his errors and that at least should be enough to neutralize any sense of disgruntlement.