Where to buy your RGB cables and what to look for

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Where to buy your RGB cables and what to look for

Post by bobrocks95 »

retro_gaming_cables wrote:all the ground pins are connected. 21 (shell), 18, 17 (sync GND), 14, 5 (red GND), 9 (green GND), 4 (audio GND) and 13 (red GND). It looks blurry because I used a macro lens on my DSLR camera. I was trying to be artist ;)
Good to hear! A large improvement imo, though I'm not sure you're convinced of that fact unless you've changed your mind. Doesn't matter though, they're connected and that's that.
neorichieb1971 wrote:I'm surprised scart is used at all. Most of these leads go into converters and such.

Wouldn't it be better to have a converter box that uses something better than SCART and make cables for each console that plug into that converter?

Anyhow, much interested in the outcome of this debate. I have an official PS1 scart cable and the white background of the original PS1 boot up (the boom screen) makes one hell of a buzzing noise.
I'm not a fan of SCART and don't use it myself. The problem is that nobody has come out with a hobbyist RGB to YPbPr converter. The most common ones use SCART, so all the hobbyist cables use SCART. Switching to VGA or another worldwide, professional, commonly-used connector (BNC?) would be a big benefit to everyone.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

SCART is still commonly used in Europe. I don't know any statistics, but going by local boards I'd say that the vast majority of SCART cables are still used with TVs that have native RGB SCART input.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

blizzz wrote:SCART is still commonly used in Europe. I don't know any statistics, but going by local boards I'd say that the vast majority of SCART cables are still used with TVs that have native RGB SCART input.
It does not deserve to the be exclusive RGB connector though. This thread is proof that differing standards exist in the SCART world and that people get differing performances depending on what cable they buy and from whom. Basically its not a standard, because what is inside is not guaranteed until you open it up and have a look.

What we should have is a hobbyist RGB connector and move beyond 1985 when the SCART connector was born. I believe the RGB standard should adopt a new connector where all (is it 5 lines?) and Audio are completely separated but the integrity of the signal is maintained.

If the OSSC is capable of using one of its inputs in such a way that isn't SCART, that would be a great way to go forward.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

blizzz wrote:SCART is still commonly used in Europe. I don't know any statistics, but going by local boards I'd say that the vast majority of SCART cables are still used with TVs that have native RGB SCART input.
I downplayed that angle; yes SCART still being used in Europe definitely plays a large part in the ongoing usage of SCART.

I don't think that makes SCART any better though, it definitely needs to be superseded in the hobbyist sphere that we're in.
The big kicker imo is that there are official SCART cables available for most consoles if people in Europe want to use SCART- we don't need DIY sellers to be making SCART cables exclusively. They aren't really, but the focus is definitely squarely on SCART right now.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

bobrocks95 wrote:
I downplayed that angle; yes SCART still being used in Europe definitely plays a large part in the ongoing usage of SCART.

I don't think that makes SCART any better though, it definitely needs to be superseded in the hobbyist sphere that we're in.
The big kicker imo is that there are official SCART cables available for most consoles if people in Europe want to use SCART- we don't need DIY sellers to be making SCART cables exclusively. They aren't really, but the focus is definitely squarely on SCART right now.
Its definitely worth investigation to supersede the SCART connector. The shmups community is one of the forums driving the holy grail of RGB. I'd be more convinced if as a community there were opportunities to rebuild the status quo from the ground up.

There should at least be an alternative option. I've bought the HDretrovision component cables purely because they offer a SCART alternative.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Brilliant! You've solved it! Component cables it is!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Einzelherz wrote:Brilliant! You've solved it! Component cables it is!
But component does not hold the integrity of the signal of RGB. To me that disqualifies the component cable as a valid alternative to scart.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
But component does not hold the integrity of the signal of RGB. To me that disqualifies the component cable as a valid alternative to scart.
Mathematically equal. Different color space.
Last edited by Ikaruga11 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
Let me break this to you this way:

When HD Retrovision releases the Dreamcast component cables, I'll be tripping over my own feet--running--to sell my VGA box and stop screwing around with two different outputs.
We apologise for the inconvenience
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

When HD Retrovision releases the Dreamcast component cables, I'll be tripping over my own feet--running--to sell my VGA box and stop screwing around with two different outputs.
With a modern VGA box like the Kuro or the Toro, every game will output in RGB via a VGA cord. Whether they're 240p, 480i or 480p titles :D
So no need to switch to S-video for the lo-res games AND you get all games to output in rich, vivid RGB. The best of both worlds!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
orange808

Post by orange808 »

FinalBaton wrote:

With a modern VGA box like the Kuro or the Toro, every game will output in RGB via a VGA cord. Whether they're 240p, 480i or 480p titles :D
So no need to switch to S-video for the lo-res games AND you get all games to output in rich, vivid RGB. The best of both worlds!
Until I check the new displays and realize that RGBHV isn't supported anymore. :(

Paired with an OSSC it would be fine.

I'm waiting to see what happens with those component cables before I spend more money on the Dreamcast. I'm expecting the cable will be cheaper and more flexible in my setup--versus the cool Japanese sounding samurai shampoo go! go! go! happy! boxes.
We apologise for the inconvenience
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

I bought an RGB cable for my SFC from polish eBay seller 'thefoo.83' after seeing a lot of praise for his cables in another board. He messaged me asking if I knew about cable differences and really wanted a csync cable, since it only works with NTSC consoles and I'm from Europe. After I confirmed that it's the correct cable he shipped it and gave me a tracking number. Guess he mixed up the numbers, because the tracking shows that the cable arrived in England yesterday. Anyway, my cable arrived today and works as expected.

No issues on my CRT or on the Framemeister. I don't see any difference compared to my sync on composite cable (from Kurzschluss_480Volt) and to hear a hum on white screen I have to turn up the volume to a level that would shatter my ear drums. Compared to my other cable the hum is a bit louder, but no issue at normal volume. It also feels solid enough. One thing that's different from any other RGB cable I've bought is that the SCART plug doesn't have all pins. The unnecessary pins for bidirectional audio and video are missing.

Opened up it doesn't look that great. The cables are kinda messy and the caps aren't from any brand I recognize (Edit: they're Panasonic caps). The 5V pin is connected, so sync strippers should work with this cable.

Image Image

Overall I'd say it's a good cable. The price for one cable is pretty much the same as from Retro Gaming Cables (who use a PCB inside the SCART plug), but if you buy multiple cables it's be cheaper.

Edit: Changed the last line to make it clearer what I mean.
Last edited by blizzz on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
thefoo83

Post by thefoo83 »

blizzz wrote:I bought an RGB cable for my SFC from polish eBay seller 'thefoo.83' after seeing a lot of praise for his cables in another board. He messaged me asking if I knew about cable differences and really wanted a csync cable, since it only works with NTSC consoles and I'm from Europe. After I confirmed that it's the correct cable he shipped it and gave me a tracking number. Guess he mixed up the numbers, because the tracking shows that the cable arrived in England yesterday. Anyway, my cable arrived today and works as expected.

No issues on my CRT or on the Framemeister. I don't see any difference compared to my sync on composite cable (from Kurzschluss_480Volt) and to hear a hum on white screen I have to turn up the volume to a level that would shatter my ear drums. Compared to my other cable the hum is a bit louder, but no issue at normal volume. It also feels solid enough. One thing that's different from any other RGB cable I've bought is that the SCART plug doesn't have all pins. The unnecessary pins for bidirectional audio and video are missing.

Opened up it doesn't look that great. The cables are kinda messy and the caps aren't from any brand I recognize (Edit: they're Panasonic caps). The 5V pin is connected, so sync strippers should work with this cable.

Overall I'd say it's a good cable. The price for one cable is pretty much the same as from Retro Gaming Cables (who use a PCB inside the SCART plug), but if you buy multiple cables it's be cheaper.
Edit: Changed the last line to make it clearer what I mean.
one review of old type sega saturn cable with sync from composite video also about sound quality:
https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... rn-review/

About"Guess he mixed up the numbers, because the tracking shows that the cable arrived in England yesterday"
sometimes ladies in Polish post office write me wrong tracking number next to each letters

About "hear a hum on white screen"
I recived a lot of positvie information from Clients that my cables are better than cheap cables which have a lot of buzzing and my cables do not cost a lot compare to other HQ cables Sellers.
I have also different version for peoples who need the best:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RGB-SCART-EURO- ... SwPYZU6h6W

About "The cables are kinda messy"
We are making it by hands and more importand for us is how cable is made not how it looks inside.

About:
"SCART plug doesn't have all pins. The unnecessary pins for bidirectional audio and video are missing."
Not all pins are used for RGB and stereo sound. It does not matter do you have got all or not all pins inside because it is importand to how many pins wires are connected. I found this
http://db-electronics.ca/2016/06/30/dbg ... ted-equal/
so I see at the picture that even profesional companies are selling cables with less pins connected that I have.

Regards
thefoo83
Last edited by thefoo83 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

thefoo83 wrote:About "hear a hum on white screen"
I recived a lot of positvie information from Clients that my cables are better than cheap cables which have a lot of buzzing and my cables do not cost a lot compare to other HW cables Sellers.
As I said, it's not audible at normal or even high volume levels. Many other cables that are sold on eBay will have a hum at normal volume levels. To compare the cable to my other one (which cost 14€ vs 11€ for this one) I set my volume from the normal 20% I play at to 80% and set the 240p test suite to output a pure white screen. Any SCART cable will have a bit of hum in that test, unless the audio is completely separate from the video, like the other cable you linked.
thefoo83 wrote:About: "SCART plug doesn't have all pins. The unnecessary pins for bidirectional audio and video are missing."
Not all pins are used for RGB and stereo sound.
Yes, that's not a negative point.

Maybe I made it sound too negative? The cable works flawlessly on both CRT and Framemeister. There's no noise in the picture and no annoying hum. In the past I only had one cable for both my N64 and SFC and swapped them as needed, now I'll use thefoo83's cable for my SFC and the older cable for my N64.

For a price comparison of a standard csync SNES cable incl shipping and tax in Europe:
thefoo.83: 11.20€ + 5.40€ shipping = 16.60€
Retro Gaming Cables: 17.39€ incl shipping
retro_console_accessories: 19.33€ + 13.36€ shipping + 6.21€ tax = 38.90€ (currently not in stock)
thefoo83

Post by thefoo83 »

blizzz wrote:
thefoo83 wrote: For a price comparison of a standard csync SNES cable incl shipping and tax in Europe:
thefoo.83: 11.20€ + 5.40€ shipping = 16.60€
it is also possible to send an e-mail to me and save 10% (ebay fees) from 16,60EUR so you can get cable for 14,94EUR with paypal protection
Also sending 2 or 3 cables to Europe in one letter up to 0,5kg is very cheap 5,7EUR by ebay so price per cable is even cheaper than from other HQ cable Sellers.
retro_gaming_cables

Post by retro_gaming_cables »

There is a big enough market for a few sellers, so its always good for customers to have a choice of sellers.

With regards to the dbgrafx booster topic on http://db-electronics.ca we now do our Genesis/Megadrive 2 cables like this (220uF caps on the r,g,b lines plus the 75ohm resistors)
So in theory this cable should now work with the dbgrafx booster, however, as we don't have a dbgrafx booster I am sending a cable off to Bob at RetroRGB.com for testing because he has one.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

blizzz wrote:and the caps aren't from any brand I recognize.
Those are Panasonic/Matsushita caps, they're very good quality and are the only brand I use alongside Nichicon and United Chemi-Con.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Oh, right. That's the Matsushita/Panasonic [M]. :oops: Thanks for telling me.
viletim

Post by viletim »

retro_gaming_cables wrote:There is a big enough market for a few sellers, so its always good for customers to have a choice of sellers.

With regards to the dbgrafx booster topic on http://db-electronics.ca we now do our Genesis/Megadrive 2 cables like this (220uF caps on the r,g,b lines plus the 75ohm resistors)
So in theory this cable should now work with the dbgrafx booster, however, as we don't have a dbgrafx booster I am sending a cable off to Bob at RetroRGB.com for testing because he has one.

This is a poor design. You should place the 75 ohm series resistors inside the console end of the cable instead of the SCART end for a Mega Drive (Genesis) 1 or 2 SCART cable. There are three reasons for this.

1) It prevents signal reflections. The series resistor is supposed to set the source impedance of the transmission line. The idea is that both source and load (TV) have the same impedance and this reduces cable reflections. If you place the series resistor at the far end of the cable you effectively have a 0 ohm source impedance and a 150 ohm load. This may cause signal reflections (ringing) on sharp edge transitions.

2) It isolates the capacitive load of the cable. Here's a cable data sheet from Belden - 10 core shielded with each conductor being 0.23mm². I'd guess it's reasonably close to what you're using. It states the nominal capacitance between a conductor and shield is 180 pF/metre. That's a 360 pF load for a two metre cable. The reason this is bad is that high frequency (bandwidth), voltage feedback amplifiers generally have a very hard time driving capacitive loads. See the CXA1645 data sheet page 12 and the THS7374 data sheet page 24. Oscillation can can caused by as little as 30 pF of parasitic/stray capacitance. As it is, your cable could certainly cause oscillation in the video encoder RGB driver output under the right conditions.

3) I reduces video signal coupling into the audio (capacitively). See that cable data sheet again. Nominal capacitance from conductor to conductor is ~100 pF/m. As long as there is audio and video sharing the same cable there will be some capacitive coupling between the two. You can have the audio share the length of the cable with the video signals before the resistor or the signal after the resistor. The resistor decreases the amplitude of the video signal by half. Put simply, do you think it is better for the audio signal to share a cable with a big video signal or a little one?

I just tried an experiment to demonstrate this effect. I connected a 3m long, two conductor, shielded cable to the left audio and green video signals. At the console end I'm going to place both the series resistor, coupling capacitor and the termination resistor. The reason I place the termination resistor (which is normally inside the TV) at the console end is I want to measure noise from capacitive coupling only. If I place the termination resistor at the far end I will measure video coupled into the audio by capacitive coupling and + conducted ground coupling. I don't care about conducted ground coupling as it has nothing to do with the placement of the series resistor. The switch SW1 selected what signal will be shared with the audio signal. The video wire is cut right before it enters the PC sound card input.

Results ( .wav format, 30 seconds each, recording my MD2 with Street fighter 2 from power up)
SW1 Position 3 - The audio shares the cable with the video signal before the resistor.
SW1 Position 1 - The audio shares the cable with the video signal after the resistor.
SW1 Centre off - The audio shares the cable with a disconnected wire (control measurement).
retro_gaming_cables

So what your saying is that the diagram on http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm is wrong?

There are no 75 ohm resistors connected to ground for impedance balancing in this diagram to prevent signal reflections. And if they where shouldn't they be at the end of the transmission line, i.e. in the SCART plug? Read this article on impedance matching/balancing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching

So as an example Zs would be the impedance source from the consoles video encoder and ZL is the impedance balancing/matching resistor at the SCART end of the cable.
viletim

Post by viletim »

retro_gaming_cables wrote:So what your saying is that the diagram on http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm is wrong?
About those diagrams. They are over ten years old and are very much of their time. When I put that page up there was very little info about this on the internet. People were often making direct wire only cables and getting poor results.

The only updates to the page in recent years in when somebody basically demands I fix some error or other. The diagrams are electrically correct, but the page is severely lacking in practical information about making good cables. Mostly because I didn't know much about that at the time.

I have been meaning to fix the page for years now, but I struggle to find the motivation.
retro_gaming_cables wrote: There are no 75 ohm resistors connected to ground for impedance balancing in this diagram to prevent signal reflections. And if they where shouldn't they be at the end of the transmission line, i.e. in the SCART plug? Read this article on impedance matching/balancing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching

So as an example Zs would be the impedance source from the consoles video encoder and ZL is the impedance balancing/matching resistor at the SCART end of the cable.

Zs is the Sega Mega Drive's video output impedance it is in fact close to zero ohms (a direct connection from the video encoder) when it should be 75 ohms. That's why you add the resistor. It sets the source impedance. By placing the resistor inside the cable you are correcting a problem with the console.

Zl is the termination impedance of the television set. It's already got a 75 ohm resistor in there to ground on each video input. You can measure it with a multimeter. This is not a part of the cable.

Please read my previous post again.
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

retro_gaming_cables wrote:So what your saying is that the diagram on http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/ ... escart.htm is wrong?

There are no 75 ohm resistors connected to ground for impedance balancing in this diagram to prevent signal reflections. And if they where shouldn't they be at the end of the transmission line, i.e. in the SCART plug?
You are selling rgb cable and don't know where the 75ohm load resistors at the SCART-end are... Seriously?
Spoiler
These termination resistors are inside the TV.

(Don't understand me wrong. This could be a question of your customers... "Where are the 'missing' resistors?" So you should be able to answer that.)
By the way. I made a quick experiment on a very cheap LIYY cable (4x0.14mm^2) to show what happens on impedance mismatch. (just a show up for all who are not that technically experienced; I made this experient with my students to appr. determine the length of the cable)
Spoiler
Last edited by borti4938 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retro_gaming_cables

So its your fault my design in wrong! :D

what your saying is that all the components need to be in the 8 pin DIN plug and not in the SCART plug?
viletim

Post by viletim »

retro_gaming_cables wrote: what your saying is that all the components need to be in the 8 pin DIN plug and not in the SCART plug?
All series resistors on signal lines go in the console end of the cable. Capacitors can go anywhere.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

Does the same apply to a PAL SNES cable? All cables I've seen so far had the resistors inside the SCART plug.
viletim

Post by viletim »

blizzz wrote:Does the same apply to a PAL SNES cable? All cables I've seen so far had the resistors inside the SCART plug.
They are not series resistors, but a double termination. I think it's better to put them in the console end too. Less video signal current flows through ground wire of the cable this way. That means less video signal is coupled into the audio through the ground (conducted ground coupling).
rtw

Post by rtw »

borti4938 wrote:By the way. I made a quick experiment on a very cheap LIYY cable (4x0.14mm^2) to show what happens on impedance mismatch. (just a show up for all who are not that technically experienced; I made this experient with my students to appr. determine the length of the cable)
Spoiler
Would you be so kind to move the picture to imgur ? dropbox is often blocked in a professional environment.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
borti4938

Post by borti4938 »

I don't have a imgur account and also don't want to create one... So - someone else?
viletim wrote:
blizzz wrote:Does the same apply to a PAL SNES cable? All cables I've seen so far had the resistors inside the SCART plug.
They are not series resistors, but a double termination. I think it's better to put them in the console end too. Less video signal current flows through ground wire of the cable this way. That means less video signal is coupled into the audio through the ground (conducted ground coupling).
Personally I would try to add 36ohm resistors in series inside the MultiAV plug instead of 75ohm to ground. This reduces the overall floating current.
The 1chip PAL SNES output is designed with 39ohm output impedance. With the 3chip PAL SNES it is not that easy as there are diodes inside the output lines (cathode directed to output) with 30ohm in series afterwards. But also here 36ohm should be close to be a correct matching.
What do you think about that approach?
rtw

Post by rtw »

borti4938 wrote:I don't have a imgur account and also don't want to create one... So - someone else?
You don't need an account, just go here: http://imgur.com and click on the: New post button
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work