XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: XRGB-3

Post by Fudoh »

Doesn't the B1 firmware have to be loaded first before any newer firmware can be flashed?
no. Won't affect anything besides bank 1. You can even flash the old widescreen firmware to bank 2 if you like.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I now have the B1 firmware and it turns out that my monitor doesn't like to play nice when the XRGB-3 is in B1 mode. Most of my consoles just don't work and when I hooked up my LaserDisc player through composite, it would very briefly drop out every few minutes or so. B0 mode works much better but of course there aren't scanlines so I can't see myself using it much.

Also, add the Dell E2414H to the list of monitors that don't work with 1080p on the XRGB-3.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

compatibility in B1 depends on the output resolution the unit is set to. Some are completely incompatible, while others work better. This sounds silly at first, but it really makes a difference, although the XRGB-3 will - of course - always output 480p in B1 mode.

XGA is the most compatible mode, while 640x480 is a a close second.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

So I changed the sync polarity to inverted for both horizontal and vertical and that seems to work a little better. Changing resolutions doesn't have any affect though and there's still a good chunk of my consoles that refuse to work in B1 mode. I'm surprised they didn't call it "cripple mode" because this is driving me up the wall here.

EDIT: Did some more testing and like less than half my consoles work in B1 mode. Switching back to the PVM now...
Edward_Tz

Post by Edward_Tz »

I've tried just about every American released console that's capable of RGB on the XRGB 3 minus the Jaguar. Haven't had a problem with the XRGB3 not displaying anything. I do have issues with the picture being way to the left or right when I use a transcoder. Fixed that by having it go through an Extron RGB interface. XRGB3 VGA out > Extron 160xi breakout to VGA> Audio Authority 9A60A component > TV

Stock settings in B1.
I use Luma as sync for all my consoles.

Outside of the NES I haven't connected much with composite.

I hope the OSSC turns out to be great. I plan on getting one when they become more available. You may want to look into that.
SGGG2

Post by SGGG2 »

ApolloBoy wrote:So I changed the sync polarity to inverted for both horizontal and vertical and that seems to work a little better. Changing resolutions doesn't have any affect though and there's still a good chunk of my consoles that refuse to work in B1 mode. I'm surprised they didn't call it "cripple mode" because this is driving me up the wall here.
+1 on the Extron RGB. If it's a monitor issue, you can always try feeding the XRGB into DVDO scaler or Gefen VGA to DVI Scaler Plus. There's some minor tearing if you go the Gefen route.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

i think I still have firmware v. 2.12 last update I made in 2010/11 or so... would it be any benefit to make a new one?

2nd question. I have a pain to obtain a good picture with Super Gameboy 2 on the SFC. on XRGB 3 B1 the colours are never right , too bright and contrast unajustable.

on the xrgb 2 the colours are ok but I don't get a good AFC out of the picture it is strechted and messed up sometimes.

any settings recommendations for the XRGB-2/3?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

awe444 wrote:OK, so you're saying YPbPr via D-terminal into D IN 2 will produce the same video quality as YPbPr via 15-pin into D IN 2? No discernible difference in noise? But either of the D IN 2 ports' video quality for YPbPr will still be noisier compared to feeding my YPbPr into GAME IN, correct?

Thanks everyone for the feedback and clarifications!
According to the XRGB Wiki from the Junker HQ site using VGA is preferable to using the D-Terminal inputs, the best D-Terminal input is in the D IN 1, but it is not as good as the GAME IN input nor the VGA input.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

I selected the "Pixel Mapping and chose "XEven" option because the Junker's Wiki said to have the DOT_by_DOT option on "ON", however this option is not available on Ver2.51 and it seems to have been replaced by "Pixel Mapping". However when I select Pixel Mapping "Off", it makes the picture frame smaller, but the screen is still not centered according to the guidelines and the game screen does not fill the whole screen, see here:

So, should I select Pixel Mapping "XEven" or not? If so, I found a way to center-ize the picture by using the H. Shift and V. Shift options of the XRGB-3. See here:

BUT, the picture does still gets cut off a little on all sides (the game picture is too big it seems when "XEven" is selected) As of right now, neither Pixel Mapping on "OFF" nor on "xEven" manage to make the picture fit the whole screen perfectly and Pixel Mapping's third and last "x1" option just makes the game into a tiny picture. Can this be fixed or is this due to the PSP aspect ratio?

Can the picture be centered (with the guidelines surrounding the screen on all 4 sides)?
Last edited by Lawfer on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The integer option (Xeven) was meant for 240p sources, certainly not for using the D2 zoom option on a PSP.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:The integer option (Xeven) was meant for 240p sources, certainly not for using the D2 zoom option on a PSP.
So huh, what does the mean for my situation? It's better to disable xEven then? So what would be the best setup to use for my case?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's better to disable xEven then? So what would be the best setup to use for my case?
whatever you prefer. One options gives you a consistent pixel size, while the other using varying pixel sizes to achieve a bettern screen size match.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:
It's better to disable xEven then? So what would be the best setup to use for my case?
whatever you prefer. One options gives you a consistent pixel size, while the other using varying pixel sizes to achieve a bettern screen size match.
Which option gives me a consistent pixel size?

Also, I get it it's not possible to have the game screen fit properly into my 16:9? I have tried PSP and PS Vita games using the PS TV and it does seem like the PS TV can make PSP and PS Vita games fit on my 16:9 screen perfectly, despite the fact that the PSP and PS Vita aspect ratio is 30:17.

And what's "x1" Pixel Mapping option for? It just shrinks it to a very small frame.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you enable xeven it's supposed to give you consistent pixel sizes, BUT as you calculate yourself: 4x integer scale on 480x272 would give you 1920x1088, so you're getting a bit of overscan (if this at all works with the D2 zoom option enabled).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:If you enable xeven it's supposed to give you consistent pixel sizes, BUT as you calculate yourself: 4x integer scale on 480x272 would give you 1920x1088, so you're getting a bit of overscan (if this at all works with the D2 zoom option enabled).
I can confirm that it does work with D2 Zoom enabled.

So I take it my only choice is either Overscan (Pixel Mapping: xEven) or Underscan (Pixel Mapping: Off) like you can see on my two picture examples?

Would that change anything if I play with the Screen Setup option such as Output Horizontal Position, Output Vertical Position, Horizontal Screen Size, Vertical Screen Size?

And is it possible to have the guidelines surround the whole screen? As of right now, the left side of the guidelines do not appear (you can see it on the first picture I posted with Pixel Mapping on "Off").
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Would that change anything if I play with the Screen Setup option such as Output Horizontal Position, Output Vertical Position, Horizontal Screen Size, Vertical Screen Size?
with xeven enabled most of these are disabled.
And is it possible to have the guidelines surround the whole screen? As of right now, the left side of the guidelines do not appear (you can see it on the first picture I posted with Pixel Mapping on "Off").
that's timing issue with your display. The guidelines are there on the output, your display just "eats" them.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:with xeven enabled most of these are disabled.
I see, I didn't know that, though that explains why fiddling with them didn't seem to be doing anything.

So which would give a better result?

1. Pixel Mapping: xEven

or

2. Pixel Mapping: Off with adjusted Horizontal/Vertical Position and Horizontal/Vertical Screen Size?

Fudoh wrote:that's timing issue with your display. The guidelines are there on the output, your display just "eats" them.
I see, does this need to be "fixed"? If so, can it be fixed?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

2. Pixel Mapping: Off with adjusted Horizontal/Vertical Position and Horizontal/Vertical Screen Size?
they don't exactly work very well either way.
I see, does this need to be "fixed"? If so, can it be fixed?
no, you can't. But it's probably just a pixel or two off, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:
they don't exactly work very well either way.
Any reason why option 2 would work better than option 1? Less input lag? Less pixelization? etc
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Also, should I change the A/D level to "255"? Because the XRGB-3 automatically adjust the A/D level to 230 when I use a PSP for some reasons.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Any reason why option 2 would work better than option 1? Less input lag? Less pixelization? etc
no. Just try if you can achieve better geometry this way or the other....
Also, should I change the A/D level to "255"? Because the XRGB-3 automatically adjust the A/D level to 230 when I use a PSP for some reasons.
this basically just affects overall brightness. You shouldn't use the A/D level to compensate for wrong brighness/gamma/black level settings. I would recommend to benchmark these with another source and then get the settings for your PSP close.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:this basically just affects overall brightness. You shouldn't use the A/D level to compensate for wrong brighness/gamma/black level settings. I would recommend to benchmark these with another source and then get the settings for your PSP close.
I am asking this because the default A/D setting is 255, while when the XRGB-3 detect that you are using a PSP it automatically change the A/D from 255 to 230 for some reasons, while on Junker's Xrgb-3 wiki it recommends you to set the A/D setting on "255" when for when using the PSP among others things such as setting to sharpness to "0", setting to LPF to "OFF" etc

Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:that's timing issue with your display. The guidelines are there on the output, your display just "eats" them.
I just checked with my PS3 and there is no timing issue there, it's perfectly centered:

So what causes my display to have timing issues with the PSP output on the XRGB-3 but not on the PS3?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

So what causes my display to have timing issues with the PSP output on the XRGB-3 but not on the PS3?
Output timings can change with the sources. Why are you obsessed about a single pixel line ?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:Why are you obsessed about a single pixel line ?
I MUST GET THAT PIXEL LINE BY ANY MEANS!

Just kidding, no not obsessed just wanted to see if the PS3 gave the same result and was genuinely curious as to how the centering of the picture was off with the PSP (veering too much on the left) but perfectly centered with the PS3, is all.

Fudoh wrote:Output timings can change with the sources.
Oh I see, thanks.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Should I turn on the lpf for jp21 sources in the game in port? Specifically the psone

What about a sega saturn and ps2 coming in on the d2 port via an xselect d4?

I know the junkerhq has recommended settings but I'm not sure how up to date they are considering all the firmware updates the xrgb 3 has had, thanks for anyone who takes the time to help
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Laughingman.s9 wrote:Should I turn on the lpf for jp21 sources in the game in port? Specifically the psone

What about a sega saturn and ps2 coming in on the d2 port via an xselect d4?

I know the junkerhq has recommended settings but I'm not sure how up to date they are considering all the firmware updates the xrgb 3 has had, thanks for anyone who takes the time to help
The junkershq is pretty outdated on alot of fronts, afterall the latest firmware 2.51 was released in June 2015 and the junkershq info only seem to go as far as the 2.12 firmware. But aside from this I don't think you're going to have a better info related to the XRGB-3 (at least in english) outside of the junkershq one, if the junkershq recommends something you should probably try it and see how you like it
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On 15khz signals you can't do much damage by enabling the LPF. You lose a TINY BIT of sharpness, but gain overall stability get considerably less noise.
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Fudoh wrote:On 15khz signals you can't do much damage by enabling the LPF. You lose a TINY BIT of sharpness, but gain overall stability get considerably less noise.

Yeah I noticed the sharpness bit with the ps1, I think I prefer it off as far as this one goes,

But what do you recommend when using the ps2 using component via the xselect d4 and coming in via d sub into the d2 port on th xrgb?

I ask because I just figured the xselect did a good enough cleaning and filtering the signal that the xrgb 3 lpf wasn't needed, unless I'm wrong tho?
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Does the neo geo mvs work fine with an xrgb-3 by now? I'm thinking of picking one up but I remember the mvs had issues before with the xrgb-3

If it helps I can also use it in tandem with an xselect d4, extron 203 and gefen VGA to DVI scaler