The Pinball Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
orange808

Re: The Pinball Thread

Post by orange808 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I recall playing the actual rare Williams produced Joust pinball machine at my local Cals-R-Cade arcade hangout back in 1987-1988. Very interesting dual-player concept within the pinball world. It's made the occasional appearance at the yearly California Extreme classic arcade game & pinball show in the past.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
It's alot of fun to play conservative when your opponent puts their ball on your side of table. Nothing better than making somebody stand there and wait two minutes to play again. It's also fun to watch noobs hit your spinning target when you have 5,000 points lit.

I also got a chance to play Krull. I like it much better than Black Hole. It's too bad it didn't get more distribution. :(
We apologise for the inconvenience
boagman

Post by boagman »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:I recall playing the actual rare Williams produced Joust pinball machine at my local Cals-R-Cade arcade hangout back in 1987-1988. Very interesting dual-player concept within the pinball world. It's made the occasional appearance at the yearly California Extreme classic arcade game & pinball show in the past.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
It's always at the VFW Pinball Showcase in Ann Arbor, MI. Part of the collection. It really *is* a lot of fun with two players.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

boagman wrote:VFW Pinball Showcase in Ann Arbor, MI. Part of the collection. It really *is* a lot of fun with two players.
You've been to that place? Is it worth going? Are they still doing the bizarre willy wonka hours open one day a year? 'Strangest successful kickstarter of all time.
boagman

Post by boagman »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
boagman wrote:VFW Pinball Showcase in Ann Arbor, MI. Part of the collection. It really *is* a lot of fun with two players.
You've been to that place? Is it worth going? Are they still doing the bizarre willy wonka hours open one day a year? 'Strangest successful kickstarter of all time.
Dude, yeah: I'm one of the staff there. You know those guys at the Showcase who walk around in orange shirts helping out and fixing games? I'm one of those.

Is it worth going to? Abso-freaking-lutely. In May 2017, there are going to be 350 games there, working and playable.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

So Fear Itself seems highly regarded. I'm not much for licensed tables, but I'll check out the trial. How about the collection made up of Tesla, Shaman, El Dorado, and V12? How about Epic Quest?
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

boagman wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:
Dude, yeah: I'm one of the staff there. You know those guys at the Showcase who walk around in orange shirts helping out and fixing games? I'm one of those.

Is it worth going to? Abso-freaking-lutely. In May 2017, there are going to be 350 games there, working and playable.
Sounds like I'll have to hit this up. Planning on attending all the major shows this year to play in tournaments. Played in my first tournament last year at CAX and made the Open Finals as a virtual unknown. I hadn't even played in 2 months, so I'm gonna try and practice up hardcore over the next few months and give it a go next year. Obviously no hopes of beating the super big dogs, but I did beat someone who was #30 in the world at CAX.
boagman

Post by boagman »

caldwert wrote:
boagman wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:You've been to that place? Is it worth going? Are they still doing the bizarre willy wonka hours open one day a year? 'Strangest successful kickstarter of all time.

Sounds like I'll have to hit this up. Planning on attending all the major shows this year to play in tournaments. Played in my first tournament last year at CAX and made the Open Finals as a virtual unknown. I hadn't even played in 2 months, so I'm gonna try and practice up hardcore over the next few months and give it a go next year. Obviously no hopes of beating the super big dogs, but I did beat someone who was #30 in the world at CAX.
Well, just to be clear, this isn't a tournament-focused event. Yes, there's an EM tournament, but it's casual, and very low key. No-entry-fee kind of casual. I'm not even sure that there are any WPPR points to be gained. This is a recreational event, for certain, geared towards lovers of pinball of all eras, and families who want to have new pinball experiences together.

Just don't want you to come expecting a competitive environment with big money/prizes on the line. It just isn't that kind of event, purposely so.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Damocles wrote:How about the collection made up of Tesla, Shaman, El Dorado, and V12?
I played the shit out of them. El Dorado is super fun and the reason I bought Zen Pinball in the first place. V12 is also good. Shaman and Tesla have nice themes but they're kinda awkward to play and a bitch to start and complete the missions. If you enjoy beating tables then all of them provide a good challenge.

You should download the trials and see the tables for yourself, but overall I'd say the pack is worth it.

No idea about Epic Quest.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Damocles wrote:Tesla, Shaman, El Dorado, and V12?
I didn't care for them. Shaman was ok.
Damocles wrote:How about Epic Quest?
Fun idea. Enjoyable table. The roadbock will be at the final battles where you'll get one-hit-killed (via short timers) because you haven't grinded stats for 1000 hours. I cannot determine if it is even technically possible to beat the wizard stuff on pure skill. The rules of the fight feel a little hopeless; as if just playing extremely well will always be trumped by the grinding stats mechanics.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

caldwert wrote:Sounds like I'll have to hit this up. Planning on attending all the major shows this year to play in tournaments. Played in my first tournament last year at CAX and made the Open Finals as a virtual unknown. I hadn't even played in 2 months, so I'm gonna try and practice up hardcore over the next few months and give it a go next year. Obviously no hopes of beating the super big dogs, but I did beat someone who was #30 in the world at CAX.
In terms of Michigan, track down and fight John Kosmal, Chris Tabaka, or Aaron Grabowski. They are the best players I know about. Seek Parker Thomas if you want to get a handle on pinball leagues or tournaments.
Michigan Pinball Expo is an annual thing.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

boagman wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:

Gimmie some table names you have scores on there you're proud of. I'll take a shot at beating them in May?
boagman

Post by boagman »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
boagman wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote: You've been to that place? Is it worth going? Are they still doing the bizarre willy wonka hours open one day a year? 'Strangest successful kickstarter of all time.

Gimmie some table names you have scores on there you're proud of. I'll take a shot at beating them in May?
Oh, boy...there are several, but I'm honestly not sure of whether they're still up at the top, or if Grabowski's taken them down yet or not. I believe I'm still the GC on Jack*Bot. Maybe. ;)

Oh, and I'm certain that Pool Sharks is still mine.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I ended picking up the Avengers pack this weekend. The only table I tried out was Infinity Gauntlet, and so far it seems solid. Good thing too, as it was really the only table I was interested in. It's easy to get into missions and it's damn easy to fail them. My only complaint is that the missions can be relatively vague. It took me a few tries at Warlock Frenzy before I even noticed there were multiple phases with different targets.

As of yet, I haven't tried any of the other tables. I figure I'll get comfortable with this one first. Fear Itself looks relatively interesting, despite my apathy toward Thor, but good god the aesthetic on the Avengers table is horrible.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

boagman wrote: Well, just to be clear, this isn't a tournament-focused event. Yes, there's an EM tournament, but it's casual, and very low key. No-entry-fee kind of casual. I'm not even sure that there are any WPPR points to be gained. This is a recreational event, for certain, geared towards lovers of pinball of all eras, and families who want to have new pinball experiences together.

Just don't want you to come expecting a competitive environment with big money/prizes on the line. It just isn't that kind of event, purposely so.
Hahaha, I'm not looking to play super big tournaments. I don't even bother to play locally. I just wanted to attend some big shows.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

I usually play pinball at the cinema while I wait; two multiplexes have one or two machines each, with a very slow turnover that allows learning at a rate of a few games a week. I got familiar with Lord of the Rings (the multiball modes are fun and solidly designed, but collecting the whole Fellowship involves many boring shots), then The Sopranos (it conveys an impressive feeling of violence and criminal determination, but scoring is quite random and weak shots at important ramps are too dangerous).
boagman

Post by boagman »

Ixmucane2 wrote:then The Sopranos (it conveys an impressive feeling of violence and criminal determination, but scoring is quite random and weak shots at important ramps are too dangerous).
I wouldn't say that the scoring in Suckpranos is "random", but rather poorly-thought-out. Prime example: Bada-Bing Multiball, which is achieved by shooting the BB ramp 3 times, and then getting achieving a certain number of switch hits before time expires (if time does expire, the switch hits are "saved" through the next start), and once the switch hits threshold is achieved, you receive a 2-ball multiball. This is normally best achieved when stacked with the Stugots Multiball first, and it'll start automatically when complete. BB Multiball has all major (arrowed) shots score 125K to start with, increasing by 5K per shot, until the shot value is capped at 250K per.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT ALL ABOUT???????

Look, in single ball play, shots to, say, the outer loops (Truck Heist qualifiers) are worth a *lot* more than 125K, and are often more than 300K! In *single* ball play! Usually, achieving multiball should unlock *higher* scoring potential, meaning that shots are, or should be, worth more than they are during single ball play. There's a much higher level of difficulty during multiball, more to think about, and more importantly: YOU'VE ALREADY JUMPED THROUGH ALL THE HOOPS TO GET IT STARTED!!!!!! Now, you're rewarded with *decreased* scoring, and a freaking *CAP* at 250K? After you've made 21 shots during multiball? And you're STILL NOT able to get the same values for regular shots as during single ball play? And there's no "Shoot Bada-Bing ramp for scoring multipliers" or anything like that?

That's...that's just really *dumb* code, there. Really dumb. Hardly random, though.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

boagman wrote:
Ixmucane2 wrote:then The Sopranos (it conveys an impressive feeling of violence and criminal determination, but scoring is quite random and weak shots at important ramps are too dangerous).
I wouldn't say that the scoring in Suckpranos is "random", but rather poorly-thought-out. Prime example: Bada-Bing Multiball
I agree, I meant that scoring is "random" because it is unintentional, not because of variance (which isn't particularly high, see for example the safe).
The low score potential of the difficult to begin Bada-Bing Multiball is a prime example indeed; I personally find the negligible value of the spinner, the useless rewards at Satriale's, and the modest gain from Episodes even more annoying. But there are also examples of giving away score, like the huge and almost automatic Stugots Multiball jackpots and the trivial skill shot, and uneven payout for the same shot (spinner, Satriale's, Episodes and Extra ball in the same place...).
Random design, probably by someone who didn't have a feeling for shot difficulty and score progression.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Ixmucane2 wrote:Random design, probably by someone who didn't have a feeling for shot difficulty and score progression.
Heh. Well, oddly, this same playfield design was present in the preceding Gomez game, Lord of the Rings, and he was (and should have been) roundly criticized for the practically-zero changes from one game to the next. It really was just sheer laziness or hubris (take your pick, as LOTR is actually quite good), but going from one playfield to another making basically no changes is not kosher.

The software, though? Yeah, that should have been a *lot* better thought out. Lyman Sheets (one of the best players in the world, and the guy who did the code for Suckpranos) wouldn't count this game as among his best, that's for certain.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I think if you are looking at Sopranos in relation to specific modes and how they play out/score on their own, then you are looking at the whole thing the wrong way (or at least, with a lack of understanding).

Bing Multiball for instance, its purpose isn't to score high on its own, but to work towards other things. You use it to safely get back into Stuggots Multiball (or perhaps add a ball save/extender to it after you have already extinguished the FISH add-a-ball), and you can use it to prep episodes and progress towards completing other objectives (Meadowlands, RIP, and the Safe).

Sopranos is all about progression. If you are in it to play a single multiball or two, it's going to be a grind and you're not going to be walking out with many points compared to someone who spends the same time on the game, that really knows the rules and thinks about it in terms of progression--specifically, getting to Underboss, then Boss.

For the fastest scoring, the goal is to get to Underboss. Yes, play out the Stuggots when you can--its Victory Laps are especially worthwhile--but along the way you need to be picking up those dollar bills on the playfield and bashing the safe to advance your Rank. Advancing the Rank all the way takes you straight into Underboss. Bing and Stuggots carry into this as well if they are already running, so you can have three multiballs running at once.

Each Rank doubles the value of a shot on the playfield. If you can pound through all the ranks and get into Underboss on a single ball, then you're really in business since most of the playfield will be at double scoring.

In regards to other scoring elements mentioned, the spinner can be built up to 100,000. If the spinner spins well, this can be big. But again, it's all about progression--every time you milk that 100,000 spinner, you're also prepping the next Episode at the same time, since the spinner adds letters to "Sopranos", which is what qualifies the Episodes.

Episodes aren't a make-or-break kind of thing, but if you play them you can typically net a solid five million out of them. What about something like Satisfaction where every shot is good for it? Say you have the orbits doubled due to your advancement in Rank, and you hit five orbits during that mode. A five million point mode then turns into a ten million point mode. Get through all your Episodes one time around then access them a second time, and they are worth double. So with a particular setup, a five million mode can potentially be a 15 or 20 million mode.

Looking at the details, I'm betting Lyman thinks he did just fine on this game.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Austin wrote:Looking at the details, I'm betting Lyman thinks he did just fine on this game.
And I'd still say that, in comparison/competition with the rest of his library, this wouldn't be anywhere near the top. At all.

I'm *very* familiar with the game...and BB Multiball (and its ridiculous code) still defies explanation to me. Yours is particularly well-thought-out, but it still doesn't jibe with what should have been at least a bit more obvious. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to have a cap on the BB score...at all, ever. If you make it happen *and* keep it going for that long to get that many shots, you *deserve* some well-earned scores from that. Too, there's also something very "How'd you miss this?" about *not* using the BB ramp shot as a hold-for-multiplying-timer during that multiball, a la Mark Ritchie games. For such a minimalist, low-scoring affair, a player should *at least* have had this somewhat-more-intriguing option. There are few multiballs I disrespect more than this one, mainly due to the grind necessary to achieve it, and the basic complete lack of payoff for it.

I'll tell you this, though: I can tell you're quite into pin as I am! You're very well-versed in the rules of Suckpranos, which you didn't spell correctly. ;)
boagman

Post by boagman »

Austin wrote:I think if you are looking at Sopranos in relation to specific modes and how they play out/score on their own, then you are looking at the whole thing the wrong way (or at least, with a lack of understanding).
By the way, I wanted to let you know that, for the most part, I agree with this sentiment concerning this game, and probably just about all games, too: they need to be viewed as a sum of their parts, and perhaps not completely broken down into separate components for the purpose of evaluation. Certain times, though, something will really stick out at me, and from time-to-time I call them out for being less than their best, or at least less than they should have been. I think Lyman is a very talented pinball programmer, based on most of his work, but this particular bugaboo does sort of stick in my craw a bit.

Is it Lyman's fault that the game is less than enthralling? Not necessarily, but often, great code can trump significant playfield issues, and Suckpranos is just sort of "there", while the Gomez game preceding it, LOTR, was absolutely fantastic. That's Keefer's code, and it's a marvelous thing. My problems with Suckpranos start with Gomez's lazy playfield, and I'd say that 75% of the problems could be laid there.
Austin

Post by Austin »

boagman wrote:There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to have a cap on the BB score...at all, ever. If you make it happen *and* keep it going for that long to get that many shots, you *deserve* some well-earned scores from that. Too, there's also something very "How'd you miss this?" about *not* using the BB ramp shot as a hold-for-multiplying-timer during that multiball, a la Mark Ritchie games. For such a minimalist, low-scoring affair, a player should *at least* have had this somewhat-more-intriguing option. There are few multiballs I disrespect more than this one, mainly due to the grind necessary to achieve it, and the basic complete lack of payoff for it.
The reason to have a cap on the Bing scoring is two-fold. Again, there's the fact you can use it to do other things (very important), and two, there's the fact it's *not* hard to start (I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it is). If the scores kept increasing during Bing without a cap, no one would play anything else in the game, it would be Bing all day for scores and that would hurt the balance in the end. Even if the value was capped at a decent value, it would undermine Underboss, one of the two wizard modes.
boagman wrote:I'll tell you this, though: I can tell you're quite into pin as I am! You're very well-versed in the rules of Suckpranos, which you didn't spell correctly. ;)
I know you're just poking fun, but when I see things like this written, I think of the person posting as, "Suckplayer". ;)

From the words of Steve Ritchie, "PLAY BETTER!"
boagman

Post by boagman »

Austin wrote:The reason to have a cap on the Bing scoring is two-fold. Again, there's the fact you can use it to do other things (very important), and two, there's the fact it's *not* hard to start (I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that it is). If the scores kept increasing during Bing without a cap, no one would play anything else in the game, it would be Bing all day for scores and that would hurt the balance in the end. Even if the value was capped at a decent value, it would undermine Underboss, one of the two wizard modes.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this point, I guess. With BB being a necessity to achieve Boss WM, it's rather important on its own just to achieve. If you're an average player, and you end up qualifying BB after three shots to the left ramp, to be hit by "75 Switches Needed For Multiball" is pretty disheartening. It's a pretty long way there unless you've already got Stugots MB pretty much ready to rock. Sure, 75 switches isn't hard during a multiball, but it's not exactly reasonable for a beginner to be able to achieve that on their own in single ball play (the spinner can be okay, but not *that* okay). I don't consider this to be "easy access", but that's me.

I also disagree that no one would play anything else in the game. Yes, they'd basically try and stack everything for that purpose, but considering the sheer number of shots necessary to get the point value for BB shots to be even half-relevant (considering the 5K per shot raise), the cap is just ludicrous. Its only function is to cut off a player at the knees.

In the same way, it's why later revisions of T3's multiball code make it so much better: the focus is *eventually* taken off of the drop target (after Super Jackpot has been scored), and the player is forced to look around and wonder what they should be doing instead of mindlessly hitting the drop target lane. "Oh, I have to shoot A-B-C to relight the jackpots? What's the machine trying to tell me?" *Exactly*. You should be trying to complete your Max Escape! Or your Payback Time! Or go ahead and use the A-B-C to relight the jackpots, if you think that it's worth that! Bada-Bing Multiball caps for no good reason at all...you should *always* be using it to complete the Meadowlands or whatever. If you can achieve 60 shots during BB multiball, you *should be* accruing 425K (or so) per shot. That's *a lot* of shots, and if you're able to make any multiball last that long, you should be rewarded. It certainly doesn't make any sense for Truck Heist *qualifying* shots to be worth 375K during single ball play, then, does it? At 5K increase per shot, it wouldn't be "Bing all day", or at least it wouldn't for me. Stugots is by far the better bargain to play. Scoring Double Super Jackpots in that makes BB look pathetic and useless, which is what it is for the most part. There should have, at the very least, been a "Hold Ball For Multiplied Scores" use of the ramp during BB multiball. They put a lot of money and BOM into that area of the playfield to basically underuse it.

Would it undermine Underboss? That's a point that could be counteracted with increased Underboss scoring. As it stands, BB gets played by me for A. The journey to Boss and B. As a multiball extender for Stugots. It's a pretty lousy destination on its own.

And that's "The *Immortal* Words of Steve Ritchie". ;)
Austin

Post by Austin »

Ah, I see now. You're not that experienced--your perspective echoes that of someone just getting into it (or has been in "it" for a while, but doesn't make it very far into rulesets). If that's the case, then I totally understand where you are coming from. That said, improve at your general play, your flipper skills, your ability to get to wizard modes and your deeper understanding of rules, and you will eventually look back on this conversation and realize that on the journey to "Boss", starting Bing Multiball was the least of your worries.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Austin wrote:Ah, I see now. You're not that experienced--your perspective echoes that of someone just getting into it (or has been in "it" for a while, but doesn't make it very far into rulesets). If that's the case, then I totally understand where you are coming from. That said, improve at your general play, your flipper skills, your ability to get to wizard modes and your deeper understanding of rules, and you will eventually look back on this conversation and realize that on the journey to "Boss", starting Bing Multiball was the least of your worries.
You're incorrect, but that's okay. It's still a fun discussion.
Austin

Post by Austin »

boagman wrote:
Austin wrote:Ah, I see now. You're not that experienced--your perspective echoes that of someone just getting into it (or has been in "it" for a while, but doesn't make it very far into rulesets). If that's the case, then I totally understand where you are coming from. That said, improve at your general play, your flipper skills, your ability to get to wizard modes and your deeper understanding of rules, and you will eventually look back on this conversation and realize that on the journey to "Boss", starting Bing Multiball was the least of your worries.
If I was incorrect, you wouldn't be making a big deal out of Bing Multiball. ;)
boagman

Post by boagman »

Austin wrote:
boagman wrote:
If I was incorrect, you wouldn't be making a big deal out of Bing Multiball. ;)
Again, I can still differentiate something not-so-great from a general core. For what it's worth, Suckpranos just isn't that great of a machine from that era. It's *scads* better than the machines from, say, ~3 years later or so (let's call it "The NBA era"), but that doesn't make it good. I'd much rather play one of Keefer's games from the same time period, or one of Lyman's different offerings. Heck, Spider-Man alone is far better than Suckpranos, and I'm not even a big fan of that game, either.
Austin

Post by Austin »

:roll:
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

An enlightening discussion. I've been motivated to set my goal for The Sopranos to reaching Underboss and Boss, rather than merely winning replays.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Damocles wrote:How about Epic Quest?
Fun and well laid out table, the orbits and ramps are all easy to hit. However you may want to check out Castle Storm instead. I think it is a sequel of sorts to EQ and it might be better.

The Fox pack is pretty good too - even if only for Bob's Burgers. I suck at it, but it's good fun. Archer imo is terrible, which is a shame because I love Archer. The car placement is so bad it ruins the whole thing. Family Guy is also solid.

Anyone have Aliens? I've played the demo and it seems legit. Doesn't seem to suffer from the things I usually hate like that one ramp that is near impossible to hit.

Excalibur (even though I can never hit Merlin's ramp), Paranormal, and Mars are all in my regular rotation when I get the urge to play. My all time favorite is Earth Defense.
My lord, I have come for you.