3DO FZ-10 RGB?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Pasky

3DO FZ-10 RGB?

Post by Pasky »

Trying to find info on this unfortunately Google is filled with useless shit like RETRORGB website where there's no actual technical information and just links to shit you can buy rather than information on the machine. Does anyone have information on getting RGB output from a 3DO? Apparently there's two types of video encoders but the S-video from this FZ-10 appears to be coming from a giant 304 pin IC which is probably some ALL-IN-ONE chip they made for the later revisions?

I was told there might be some unconnected VGA output on the PCB but ya I can't find any information about this system. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
mickcris

Re: 3DO FZ-10 RGB?

Post by mickcris »

I did my fz-10 with the otaku store mod (which looks like its no longer available). i think they just took the info from acem77 here:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1964.0

I dont think that rgb was ever figured out for the one with the large IC.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Well that sucks, guess this can't be RGB modded then because I don't see any encoder chip on it. No idea if the digital RGB is being created internally in that IC either... which would kinda make it real hard to get I suppose =/
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Pasky wrote:Trying to find info on this unfortunately Google is filled with useless shit like RETRORGB website where there's no actual technical information and just links to shit you can buy rather than information on the machine. Does anyone have information on getting RGB output from a 3DO? Apparently there's two types of video encoders but the S-video from this FZ-10 appears to be coming from a giant 304 pin IC which is probably some ALL-IN-ONE chip they made for the later revisions?
LMAO, colorful as always I see. There are two types of encoders and both can be modded with Otaku's Store's mod, which is basically just a copy of the diagram on the page. If you'd like, you can make your own board based on the diagram, then use the otaku installation instructions to find the correct points on the board.

The two encoders make a difference though; The "Bt" encoder is limited to 480i output. As an FYI, there's barely any information available on the Bt9101 chip. The lack on information on that chip is disappointing, but if I ever get a data sheet, I'll post it on that page.

Anyone with the other "VP" chip can mod it for RGB and force 240p output. The page on my site hasn't been updated in awhile, because someone had actually come up with a completely new RGB mod for the VP chip that had some pretty cool new features. That project got delayed for over a year and to be honest, with all the other stuff going on, I completely forgot to update the page. I'll get to that soon.

For reference, here's the two chips and more info on the 240p mod: http://www.retrorgb.com/3do240p.html

mickcris wrote:I did my fz-10 with the otaku store mod (which looks like its no longer available). i think they just took the info from acem77 here:
I didn't realize they stopped selling the mod. I'll reach out to the person making the new kit and see if he can get it out soon.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

retrorgb wrote:
mickcris wrote:I did my fz-10 with the otaku store mod (which looks like its no longer available). i think they just took the info from acem77 here:
I didn't realize they stopped selling the mod. I'll reach out to the person making the new kit and see if he can get it out soon.
they removed all the kits from the store. not sure if its permanent or temporary. they were pretty expensive anyways, but the only place that I know of that was selling the 3do kit. That's great that someone else is making one!

http://www.otakus-store.net/en/9-modding-kits
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

retrorgb wrote:
Pasky wrote:Trying to find info on this unfortunately Google is filled with useless shit like RETRORGB website where there's no actual technical information and just links to shit you can buy rather than information on the machine. Does anyone have information on getting RGB output from a 3DO? Apparently there's two types of video encoders but the S-video from this FZ-10 appears to be coming from a giant 304 pin IC which is probably some ALL-IN-ONE chip they made for the later revisions?
LMAO, colorful as always I see. There are two types of encoders and both can be modded with Otaku's Store's mod, which is basically just a copy of the diagram on the page. If you'd like, you can make your own board based on the diagram, then use the otaku installation instructions to find the correct points on the board.

The two encoders make a difference though; The "Bt" encoder is limited to 480i output. As an FYI, there's barely any information available on the Bt9101 chip. The lack on information on that chip is disappointing, but if I ever get a data sheet, I'll post it on that page.

Anyone with the other "VP" chip can mod it for RGB and force 240p output. The page on my site hasn't been updated in awhile, because someone had actually come up with a completely new RGB mod for the VP chip that had some pretty cool new features. That project got delayed for over a year and to be honest, with all the other stuff going on, I completely forgot to update the page. I'll get to that soon.

For reference, here's the two chips and more info on the 240p mod: http://www.retrorgb.com/3do240p.html

My board has neither of those encoders, I already mentioned this. It has a 304 pin IC where the s-video and composite video come from. There is no encoder, or rather it's contained in that IC in this model. Perhaps you understand why I'm being colorful when searching for information and the top result has misinformation...
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Pasky wrote:My board has neither of those encoders, I already mentioned this. It has a 304 pin IC where the s-video and composite video come from. There is no encoder, or rather it's contained in that IC in this model. Perhaps you understand why I'm being colorful when searching for information and the top result has misinformation...
Wow, I honestly didn't know about that other revision! Is there any way you can post a few pics of it?
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

retrorgb wrote:
Pasky wrote:My board has neither of those encoders, I already mentioned this. It has a 304 pin IC where the s-video and composite video come from. There is no encoder, or rather it's contained in that IC in this model. Perhaps you understand why I'm being colorful when searching for information and the top result has misinformation...
Wow, I honestly didn't know about that other revision! Is there any way you can post a few pics of it?
See here:
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/3do ... mod.53635/
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Yes, mine looks exactly like the one Mick posted in that thread:

S-video and composite video traces are circled, they come off that IC which probably generates the digital RGB and DAC's it to analog and does s-video and composite out.