GD: P-47 Aces scoring

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Macaw

GD: P-47 Aces scoring

Post by Macaw »

Basic methods:

- Shoot secret bonuses for up to 10,000 points
- Collect excess powerups for 10,000 points
- Collect excess bombs for ??? points? (I have not yet had max bombs then collected another bomb so don't know what the bonus would be..)
- Certain things can be bombed for huge points (so far I've discovered certain sections of the stage 2 boss that can be bombed for heaps)

Advanced scoring: Abusing the collision bonus

- A single shot that hits any kind of obstacle in the game gives 10 points, however ramming your ship into an obstacle gives 100 points. This can be abused to get your ship jammed inside enemies for massive point gain.

So far me and fellow player Hibou have discovered one main jamming area on the 6th boss. At the very back of the boss if you align your ship at exactly the right level and then go left you will instantly become jammed inside the boss and no matter what you press and how much you try to move your ship you will not be able to escape (Hibou claimed his ship could get 'knocked out' of the boss, however I have confirmed that via my method you get permanently jammed inside the boss until it starts moving to the right and eventually knocks you out)

You know you are jammed in the boss if your ship is VERY RAPIDLY moving to the left and right. It also makes your ship INVINCIBLE. Point gain from the collisions is extremely high. Via this method I can get over 100,000 points on the stage 6 boss. Most likely there are more jamming techniques on other bosses, however I am yet to discover another permanent and guaranteed method like the one on stage 6 boss.

For the stage 7 boss it is possible to go between the bridge and the boss itself, and start bouncing around and gain lots of points. This is however extremely risky, and there is no guaranteed invincibility jamming I have discovered yet like with the stage 6 boss.

Everyone contribute and share what you know about any aspect of the scoring in this game.
Hibou

Re: GD: P-47 Aces scoring

Post by Hibou »

Macaw wrote:Hibou claimed his ship could get 'knocked out' of the boss, however I have confirmed that via my method you get permanently jammed inside the boss until it starts moving to the right and eventually knocks you out.
I still didn't have the time to try it again, but I suppose you manage to trap you ship earlier than me, and that it does change things a lot. At least, the fact that you could get from this trick twice the max points I got myself tends to confirm that.

I'll try to do it like you as soon as I have some time to play. I just hope there's no difference of behaviour from ship to ship with this jamming things... :D
Ako

Post by Ako »

I've found 3 ways to get jammed in ragna. They're all quite precise but you do become invincible if you manage it. The first two you end up infinibouncing vertically and for the last you hit ragna from behind, like you do on the 6th boss.
Ako

Post by Ako »

Holy shit, I've figured it all out. I now know why the Ragna313 bump glitch sometimes fail. It requires you to be on the exact right X,Y position of course, (X: 1F2, Y: 18F) but you must also push up for exactly 1 frame. This is for the phase 1 bump glitch. If you push up for two frames, you push too far into the boss and you're vulnerable mid bounce. So it's actually 2 pixel perfect coordinates to worry about and a 1 frame input.

Once he times out to phase 2, you just have to dodge about 3 helicopters until they stop coming permanently (maybe use a bomb), and then it's trivial to get into the second bumping spot.

Third phase bumping spot is very rough but at least it only requires 1 pixel perfect coordinate to be on (Y: 172) and then you're just invincible.

There's also odd/even pixel alignment to worry about. If you're on one of the fast ships, you won't be able to get to an even pixel alignment from an odd alignment, so you will be unable to to get to Y 172 because you can only go to 173 from 171 and vice versa. Basically it's all fucking luck if you're on a fast plane.

As everyone knows, getting all bump glitches spots on Ragna313 is worth 1.1 million points. There's still a lot of score missing for 5 million, but it might be found in good old optimization and strats.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Any chances we get to see a video of this? Would be really helpful.

When reading all this, I can't imagine too much myself.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Ako

Post by Ako »

Good idea. I'm uploading one. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4udqjg
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Ako plz
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I just have to ask: is this going to have some actual relevance? As in: do you want to achieve the WR/a really high score in this game? Is there a chance you're ever going to play something remotely normal? :mrgreen:
Ako

Post by Ako »

I'm gonna try to get the site record I guess. It's only like 3.8 million. Who knows how hard the WR could be...
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Thank you very much for the strats and for the replay! I will go back to this game myself one day and this will help me a bunch. Thanks! :)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Ako

Post by Ako »

My humanly perfect savestate run of this gives 4.33m. That's not a good sign. But did anyone notice how you sometimes get a lot of extra points when you kill stuff with bombs? Yeah, I need to research that.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

inb4 Ako discovers that you get a bonus for killing enemies with a bomb on an even-numbered frame while sitting on prime-numbered coordinates
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Ako

Post by Ako »

Oh for fuck's sake. It's player 2. If you get on player 2 - who spawns closer to the ground - and suicide, you can get stuck inside the battleship boss permanently if you go into the correct pixel while respawning. This is worth like infinite points of course.

The final clue was in the WR scores. Why was the swordfish score so low? His score was so low it was below my theory tas score, so I thought I must have figured out most everything except one final thing that the Swordfish could not do, but the others could. The final trick had to be something to do with his extremely slow speed. Turns out he is unable to get into this spot even as player 2 because he's too damn slow.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4vdld1
Ako

Post by Ako »

What I discovered today:

If you somehow get 8 bombs, the next bomb is worth... 10k points. That is worthless compared to what you get for suiciding into the battleship.

Everyone knows the behind bump on the stage 6 boss; it's the easiest bump glitch to set up. But now I think you shouldn't do it. When you get into that one, you get pushed out of him after awhile. If you just bump into the ground for awhile, wait for him to move to the next phase, and let him bump into you, you can get stuck in him PERMANENTLY for the next 4 phases. I'm pretty sure with that method it's worth much more score, but I haven't put together another new theory run with savestates.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I can't contribute anything worthwhile, but I had the urge to praise your regular updates; I can't speak for anyone else, I, for one, find your discoveries very interesting and informative! Thank you for sharing and letting us participate. :)
Ako

Post by Ako »

Discovering ancient secrets is fun. :P