Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thread)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujyou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thr

Post by Perikles »

Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius, PS1

Perikles - 6,805,800 - 4-2 - Soitsu

Just wanted to refresh my memory, but got this on my first try thanks to much better and smarter play (actually using appropriate bells for stages and bosses, what a concept!). Not a great score considering how far I got, there were way too many cringeworthy chain drops and deaths. I also could not get past the 4-2 boss, even with a blue bell in stock I got overwhelmed without any chance. I should type in the menu code and check out Dracula-kun, if he's as good in this one as he is in SFC Gokujou he should be able to get further with relative ease.
Perikles

Re: Parodius: Da!, Gokujou, Sexy, Jikkyou Oshaberi (New thre

Post by Perikles »

Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius, PS1

Perikles - 10,253,400 - 5-2 - Dracula

...or DRACURA, as the game calls him. Not so great upon recovery since the needle homing shot is both weak and incapable of dealing with many enemies at once, but absolutely devastating when powered up.

Very satisfied with this, got great strategies to work for the very difficult fourth loop (you need reliable recovery plans since some bosses are just not feasible with high rank), fifth loop is not even a game anymore. Since I played so well I burned something like 60 (!) lives on the final checkpoint in stage 2, that's over a million points of my total score. :lol: I tested every nook and cranny, tapping, hiding, bell powers, different power-ups, the boss is simply impossible if you die. And almost impossible even with a fresh shield and one in reserve, I'd imagine, since the rank is even higher then.

Might check out difficulty 7 at some point in time, I would imagine that's the same thing as loop 4 on difficulty 4 (my guess is that the game just adds one more difficulty level per subsequent loop, so if you start with the default 4 the fourth loop would be indeed 7), as much as I love this game, I think I've got a satisfying score on Normal. Also need to find four more fairies in order to complete the first set of 70!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Congrats on 10 million. :)

I couldn't recover on the stage 2 boss either, and that was only in the second loop.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thanks! I intend to play the arcade Parodius Da! soon, let's hope I can live up to this score. It would also appear that I'm listed twice on the PS1/SAT J. O. scoreboard. :)

As for the second boss: what you generally want to do against her in an underpowered state is to slowly herd and tap the rabbits in the bubbles until they burst and then use one of the available strategies against the zubs released from her hair. I think there are two safespots against these pests, one over the ear of the boss and one next to the missile. You can also move in a straight line (preferably starting from the upper left corner) to avoid these. The problem is that the rabbits just won't die by themselves on high loops, but you don't have the firepower to take them out, either. So you're hiding from the zubs only to get killed by swashbuckling foam, 'tis a cruel fate.
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

I keep checking this thread hoping for a Da 2-ALL Image
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Parodius Da! - Arcade

Perikles - 1,198,400 - 2-1 - Octopus

Fuck this game. Was only able to kill the final boss thrice since the freakin' penguin gave me a blue capsule the second time around which prevented me to get one power-up in reserve; didn't want to risk such a dangerous recovery at that point anymore. That also lead to a horrendous second loop (you need to select a speed-up as soon as possible). Will post the video, but I wanted to post the score right away to finish this chapter.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Video is up!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Parodius Da! - MAME
Shepardus - 683,900 - 1-8 - Octopus

It'd be nice to see per-character tables but I understand if you don't want to, given that there aren't too many submitted scores and there's a ton of characters in the later games.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Parodius Da! arcade
Vludi - 580,800 - 1-10 - Twinbee

So close yet so far.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Parodius Da! - PSP (PPSSPP 1.2.1)
Spoiler
Shepardus - 1,356,200 - 2-1 - Octopus
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Great to see your unwavering Parodius enthusiasm, Shepardus! We're going to turn you into a Konami/Irem disciple yet. You and Vludi are almost there (regarding the arcade game), I'm sure you guys can get the clear in no time. :o

And since the thread is all the way up I might as well throw this into the mix:

Gokujou Parodius - SFC

Perikles - 4,603,300 - ALL - Dracula-kun

The port was nominated as the game of choice elsewhere and so I sat down and decided to get serious (played with all defaults, by the way, so one loop only). I always liked the conversion before, yet I had not anticipated how much fun it would be to checkpoint milk the special stage. I'm usually not enthusiastic when it comes to that (although I do apply it in easy games such as Insector X and Chuka Taisen) but since it's such a balanced challenge in the port I had a blast. I'm almost considering playing the arcade game, even. My predicament is the vacillation as to which setting to pick. I definitely would want to beat the special stage in that one, too, despite the extreme difficulty. If I'm not mistaken you only get a single speed-up if you pick auto which would throw a wrench in my plans, but playing the main game with manual is a nightmare... Decisions, decisions.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Might as well...

Gokujou Parodius (SFC)
Ruldra - 2,714,500 - ALL - Koitsu
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I don't know how the SFC port of Gokujou Parodius compares to the arcade version, but I'd love to see someone here clear the arcade version with the special stage for once. The game deserves the love!
Perikles wrote:If I'm not mistaken you only get a single speed-up if you pick auto which would throw a wrench in my plans, but playing the main game with manual is a nightmare... Decisions, decisions.
Auto mode would also prevent you from checkpoint-milking the special stage since there are no checkpoints in that mode. How about semi-auto?
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Shepardus wrote:I don't know how the SFC port of Gokujou Parodius compares to the arcade version [...]
Just like Parodius Da! and Gradius III, the SFC port of Gokujou Parodius is the ad usum Delphini version. The difficulty in general is significantly lower (no suicide bullets during the main game, enemies are not nearly as aggressive, less enemies, bosses are rather docile, a ton of extends is to be had...), the slowdown makes it even easier and Dracula-kun is probably the best character in the entire series. Beating the special stage still requires a bit of routing but it's not nearly as brutal as it is in the arcade game.
Shepardus wrote:Auto mode would also prevent you from checkpoint-milking the special stage since there are no checkpoints in that mode. How about semi-auto?
Does that trait of auto even carry over to the special stage? It might be that the special stage has this one checkpoint no matter what, although I'm not sure at all. I'm not even thinking of milking it at this point in time, if auto would allow me to limp over the finish line I'd be relieved, actually.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Perikles wrote:Does that trait of auto even carry over to the special stage? It might be that the special stage has this one checkpoint no matter what, although I'm not sure at all. I'm not even thinking of milking it at this point in time, if auto would allow me to limp over the finish line I'd be relieved, actually.
Yeah it does, at least it did when I credit-fed through the game earlier. It only resets you to a checkpoint (the beginning of the stage, in the case of the special stage) when you use a continue. Still not enough for me to get past that stage though, that game's brutal. :o
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Parodius Da! - Famicom

Perikles - 863,000 - 3-4 - Octopus

Parodius Da! - PS1

Perikles - 4,386,300 - 2-4 - Twinbee

Dabbled a bit more with Parodius Da! The Famicom port is almost unplayable due to flicker and slowdowns, I actually died because the game resumed normal speed all of a sudden, causing me to crash into the scenery. :roll: This version probably loops forever, and you get extends via a specific bell colour for some reason. Would not recommend it!

Even at the risk of sounding boastful: the PS1 run was perfect. Not good, not excellent, perfect. Didn't drop a single bell from start to finish. I picked a green bell in 2-3 and a white bell in 2-4 since there was too much going on to juggle bells, but other than that: nothing but sweet points. It took me a while to achieve this run, too, for that disgusting pufferfish is even worse here (with full rank) than he is in the arcade version. The safespot in front of his mouth only works a fraction of the time, there's a very high chance you either die just before him or that there will be a double K.O. You have to dodge the pixelated spikes for an uncomfortably long time before you get an opportunity to close in. Bah!

Outside from that I had a blast. I never played much with Twinbee before (and I'm not a fan of using her with only one speed-up in the arcade version), was great fun learning how to properly use the ship. You can cheese some parts with the shield, I crashed into several enemies during the flipper stage, for example. You can even fly through walls in stage 3! Getting all the way to the 2-4 boss was an adequate finish for a supreme run, very proud of it.

Will look into Gokujou Parodius next! :o
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Perikles wrote:Dabbled a bit more with Parodius Da! The Famicom port is almost unplayable due to flicker and slowdowns, I actually died because the game resumed normal speed all of a sudden
Sounds like you're ready for Cave! :wink:

Seriously, though, nice work. Unseating one of Saucy's scores is always a worthy achievement.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ difficulty 4 (PSP - emulated in PPSSPP v1.2.1)
Shepardus - 2,219,900 - 1-7 - Soitsu
Video

Is there any board on this forum for the Omake 1 mode? I've got a run of that (difficulty 4 - Soitsu - ALL - 6,067,100) I'd like to share, dunno whether it's good or bad or somewhere in between.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Mero

Post by Mero »

Added your Omake score. I'll have to dig out my copy and try it myself.
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Gokujou Parodius (SFC)
KoopaTGR - 1,086,600 - ALL - Dracula-kun

No roulette, revival on, 1 loop.
Sorry if this doesn't count as legit.
Mero

Post by Mero »

It'll be alright, I'll just make a note of it.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Finally cleared a Parodius game! The fact that this game gives approximately ten billion lives helped quite a bit.

Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~ difficulty 4 (PSP - emulated in PPSSPP v1.2.1)
Shepardus - 3,212,300 - 2-6 - Soitsu

Image Image
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Gokujyou Parodius SNES

Kollision - 2,861,700 - ALL - Dracula-kun

Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Parodius Da! - NES

Kollision - 759,800 - 3-3 - TwinBee

KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Sexy Parodius
KoopaTGR - 639,600 - ALL - Mambo

No special stage.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Sexy Parodius

Shepardus - 666,900 - ALL (no special stage) - Mambo

1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Nice work fellow sunfish!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You too! Uploading a video now, will be at this link when it's done.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Gokujou Parodius AC
KoopaTGR - 839,500 - 8 - Koitsu

:o :(
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Parodius Da! (Arcade, MAME)

Shepardus - 709,900 - 1-8 - Octopus

Two deaths in the stage 3 labyrinth. Decided to get a second speed up at the stage 5 boss because I really hate that boss. Things went swimmingly until the stage 7 boss, when suicide bullets started appearing in the middle of the boss fight. I tried doing the strategy I've seen in some videos, where you sit right in front of the boss to lure the enemies it spawns to the right while dealing damage to the boss, then circle around them and take them out all at once so you can avoid suicide bullets easily (by which I mean something like this. Unfortunately I forgot I still had tailgun equipped (very useful in stage 7!) so I killed some enemies before I meant to and got pushed to the edge of the screen where I died. I got through the boss on my next life but the stage 8 dogfight proved too much to handle.

tl;dr: I got ranked :lol:
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube