Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Neon

Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Post by Neon »

I got this and Landmaker on the same day...needless to say I haven't been to class for a few days.

notes:

Scoring fairly straightforward, 10 points per block, 30k times lives remaining, probably a no-miss bonus, which I haven't found yet, bringing me to the next point:

How do you get the perfect air bonus? Even if you suicide and immediately upon respawning drill through the last big block, the time it takes to fall ticks off 1 little percent from your air...do you have to be below an air capsule, maybe?

I also have the PCB, though my supergun isn't working. I was able to play it on my brother's Jamma rig however. I can't remember all of the differences as that was a few weeks ago, but one note is that the PCB is better for multiplayer since the PS actually has to halve the size of the screen, presumably due to memory limitations. [edit - for clarity, the game is still fullscreen, but each player gets one half, everything is much tinier while on PCB it's still fullsize] Multiplayer is also great. Race mode I don't have 'worthy' (hehe) competition with locally, but survival mode allows for handicaps in terms of the amount of lives you get so roommates, girlfriends, etc. can compete on a reasonable level. You can get powerups to rotate the other person's entire set of blocks which is completely hilarious and adds so much to the experience, in a mariopartyish 'take all their stars' way, although unlike that piece a shit it's not totally arbitrary.

As for single player modes, there's 'scenario' which is a story mode, time attack mode (yes!) and 'mission' modes (must reach a preset depth goal). I haven't worked on the timeattacks yet as I forgot my PS memory card, but they should be ace. They were certainly the best part of the first game.

Which brings me to the next point: Owning this does not negate owning Driller 1 as someone mentioned, it's actually more of an expansion pack in terms of new time trials, new soundtrack, new characters, and new survival mode, etc.

I haven't covered characters or the changes to survival mode. The robot allows for you to be hit twice as opposed to once until a death (miss!). The dog (named Puchi, an apparent play on 'Pooch' American slang for a dog) can climb 2 blocks horizontally as opposed to the usual 1. Not sure of the differences with the other characters as of yet.

Survival mode has a lot of crazy changes. There are question mark powerups that can warp you to a whole new set of blocks (I've forgot if this changes your depth), take off half your air, give you full air, give you a bubble which allows an extra hit, and put little icons over your head, which I'm hoping someone can clarify about (sometimes it'll be a block, or a rock, or a little bursting icon, I'm confused as to what it's trying to tell you to do). It's selectable on the 'mission' screen, just go to infinite depth. Soundtrack for this bit is so great, though not dramatic like Driller 1 10 thousand foot mode.

Based on this game's greatness I've decided to get a Gamecube for Drill Land and gameboy player for Ace...will a Japanese GC work with a US gameboy player?
Last edited by Neon on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

I haven't played G in a couple years but isn't perfect air bonus acquired by getting every single air capsule like in the rest?

A JP GC will need to be modded or you'll need some sort of swap disc or something. The GBP requires a disc to operate and the system has to be able to read that disc. Modding a GC is pretty damn easy if you have a very fine tip on your soldering iron and good eyesight.

I might have more to say if I wasn't dead dog tired.

Pa
Neon

Post by Neon »

isn't perfect air bonus acquired by getting every single air capsule like in the rest?
...of course it is, who said otherwise? >_> <_<

Thanks anyways though. The bonus is worth 50k, so worth only one death. Actually the no-miss bonus is probably over 20k, so it's best to go for perfect air only after you can 1 life the level.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Dave. K sold me a board and it still has all the JP high scores saved on it. I can't even GET ON the top 10 score board. I've done a NO MISS/PERFECT AIR with a very fast time too. Not fast enough though.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Neon, glad you joined the Driller fanclub. 8)

There is a Mr Driller Ace GBA "perfect air" replay on http://vortiginous.com/. I have both Driller 2 and Driller Ace and they play fine on my US GBA, but they are still hard as hell.

You definately have to buy the GC Drill Land. Its the best by far, so much great content and music! It wasn't that difficult modding my GC with a region switch (search the forum and you will find my previous posts on this). You don't even have to solder on the board, just use a thin wire and tape. I did solder to the toggle switch though. Do NOT use the freeloader thing with drill land, unless you don't mind your memory card getting wiped everytime you play!

One last note, for the G PCB, you should be using 4-way sticks (hopefully the Seimitsu ones that let you switch between 4-way and 8-way gate on the bottom). This will make the game SO much more fun, and accurate in drilling. If possible try to use these sticks with Drill Land too (I have a modded astro panel for my consoles 8)).

Valgar, glad I never wiped the highscores on the extra boad I sold you, as I did this on the one I currently use, just to track progress. :D
Last edited by Dave_K. on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Two things, Neon.

First, please go to class.

Second, please continue to refer to and talk about cool-sounding, non-shmup arcade games. You (and Seven Force and Pa) are my best sources for this sort of thing.

EDIT: If these two imperatives should ever conflict, please take the latter as overriding. :wink:
Last edited by professor ganson on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

professor ganson wrote:First, please go to class.
ha, you're a teacher.
I have no sig whatsoever.
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

Man, I really need to get down with the 4-way sticks. I'm quite sure I'd set new personal records. BTW, I have to defend my belt this weekend. The NWCGE annual expo is saturday and sunday and I'm reigning World Champion of Mr Driller. "World Champion", LOL! Previously most people had no idea there was a tourney and furthermore had no idea what Mr Driller was. My only legit comp was the organizer's wife. So you guys call me champ from now on. Or from now til Sunday if I should happen to get beat ;)
professor ganson wrote:Second, please continue to refer to and talk about cool-sounding, non-shmup arcade games. You (and Seven Force and Pa) are my best sources for this sort of thing.
Although I'll always love shooters to bits, I'm alot less interested in them now than I was when I joined up this site. I really like puzzle games best and platformers second best. So here's three quick recommendations:

Pop 'n Pop (puzzle)
Don Doko Don (single screen platformer)
Blue's Journey (scrolling platformer)

I believe all three are properly MAMEd for precursory perusal. For purchase, Pop 'n Pop is available on JP PS1 (with sweet extra modes), DDD is available on the first Taito Memories (JP) and Blue's Journey (aka Raguy) is only available in one form of Neo cartridge or other. I don't think it made it to Neo CD but I could easily be wrong. Anyway, give those a go if you get a chance.

Pa
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

PaCrappa wrote: I really like puzzle games best and platformers second best. So here's three quick recommendations:

Pop 'n Pop (puzzle)
Don Doko Don (single screen platformer)
Blue's Journey (scrolling platformer)
Excellent, I'm writing these down. Same interests, different order:
1. shmups
2. 2D puzzle games
3. 2D platformers
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

professor ganson wrote:Same interests, different order:
Cool man 8) I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see shooters cycle their way back to the top of my list some day. I just sort of burnt myself out at some point.

Pa
Neon

Post by Neon »

Heh, glad there's some interest, figured only Pa would care about this thread.
professor ganson wrote:Two things, Neon.

First, please go to class.

Second, please continue to refer to and talk about cool-sounding, non-shmup arcade games. You (and Seven Force and Pa) are my best sources for this sort of thing.

EDIT: If these two imperatives should ever conflict, please take the latter as overriding. :wink:
:mrgreen: sure.

Pa's right on about Pop 'n pop. Landmaker, Pop 'n pop, and Driller G are probably the 3 best puzzle games on PSX, followed by Seibu Kaihatsu's Senkyu (battle balls). Rando did a puzz loop 2 review and seemed to like the game well enough, not sure of any console releases, check out his blog for quality reviews and good rants in general: http://www.free-conversant.com/gaming_j ... /Randorama

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend stuff by Data East (Tumble Pop, Diet GoGo, Boogie Wings) there's also one for Neogeo that starts with S, the name escapes me at the moment.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Neon wrote: Pa's right on about Pop 'n pop. Landmaker, Pop 'n pop, and Driller G are probably the 3 best puzzle games on PSX, followed by Seibu Kaihatsu's Senkyu (battle balls). Rando did a puzz loop 2 review and seemed to like the game well enough, not sure of any console releases, check out his blog for quality reviews and good rants in general: http://www.free-conversant.com/gaming_j ... /Randorama

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend stuff by Data East (Tumble Pop, Diet GoGo, Boogie Wings) there's also one for Neogeo that starts with S, the name escapes me at the moment.
I wish Pop 'n Pop got a better GBC version. Play-Asia has Mr. Driller G for 49.90 and I'm considering getting it. It doesn't have redbook audio, does it? Will it work with the PS-X-Change 2? I also want to get Senkyu, but I can't find it anywhere.

There is actually a new version of Puzzloop coming to the DS (and it's actually coming to the US with yet another changed name for the series, Magnetica). It sounds interesting, though there is not much info on it yet. The original Puzzloop is on PSX under the name Ballistic. There is also an odd GBC Puzzloop (also renamed to Ballistic for the US) that doesn't have stage mode like the original, but has a puzzle (checkmate) and time attack modes instead (still has Panic, though). There is also a PC version of Puzzloop (an official one made by Mitchell on real arcade, though there is that unofficial clone game Zuma too). Interesting how the game is from Mitchell, the company that made the Buster Bros games. Mitchell also made the Polarium games for GBA and DS. Oddly enough, I heard that the GBA Polarium is actually better than the DS one.

What exactly is Mitchell's relationship with Capcom? I know that it was formed by former Capcom staff, but they often work with Capcom.

Oh yeah, that NeoGeo game. Isn't it called something like Spinmasters? I remember it had the main characters from Dashin' Desperados for the Genesis in it with yo-yos. Is that the one you are talking about?
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

What do you Driller fans think of the DS game, Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits?
In comparison to the other games?

I kinda dig it, unfortunately it's my only exposure to the series. Never seen it in the arcade.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Play-Asia has Mr. Driller G for 49.90 and I'm considering getting it. It doesn't have redbook audio, does it? Will it work with the PS-X-Change 2? I also want to get Senkyu, but I can't find it anywhere.
50 is a little steep, but then play-asia's used stuff is usually in good condition and the game's impossible to get on ebay. I don't have any way to test the redbook audio or psxchange, sorry, though I don't think any psx games have redbook, do they?

Senkyu has a different name on PSX...mezase something or other? It's on gamefaqs.

You're right about Spinmasters, yeah.

I kinda dig it, unfortunately it's my only exposure to the series.
Heh, that's one of the two I haven't tried. We should have a VA shmupmeet sometime. I've always wanted to see you and jp's collections in person, hehe.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Actually, the 49.90 Mr. Driller Great at play-asia is brand new, not used. How much does the game usually go for?

Here's the link for Mr. Driller G at play-asia. It doesn't say pre-owned, so I'm assuming that it's brand new.

Some PSX games do have redbook. I'm pretty sure at least one of the Donpachi games has it. I also heard that the first two JP PSX DDR games have it, though the later ones don't.
raiden

Post by raiden »

the game itself is VERY good, the only drawback is the hardware it´s on. I like the DS very much, it´s the best hardware since Dreamcast, but its D-Pad just can´t compare to an arcade stick. Stylus input is even worse. But of course, as a Mr. Driller fanatic, it´s nice to be able to play on the road as well, and the "tate style" layout also helps in some way.
Gathering from its characters, Drill Spirits is modeled after Mr. Driller G, but I only played that as PCB, so I´m not sure about differences to the PSX version. In Drill Spirits, all characters need to be unlocked, and you can use cheat abilities to clear levels (but doing so disables hiscore saving as well). Hiscores are saved per character, per level. One of the strong points of Drill Spirit is multiplayer: without a 2nd cartridge, you can only play 300m mode, but with up to 4 players, which I think isn´t possible in any other Mr. Driller incarnation.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

raiden wrote:One of the strong points of Drill Spirit is multiplayer: without a 2nd cartridge, you can only play 300m mode, but with up to 4 players, which I think isn´t possible in any other Mr. Driller incarnation.
I heard that the US Drill Spirits doesn't have single cart multi and that it's only available with the European and Japanese versions (the US version is also missing Dristone mode). Also, I think Mr. Driller Drill Land and Mr. Driller Ace might also have 4 players (I really need to play these in multi, especially since I have them). Mr. Driller Ace also has single cart multiplayer.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

i am pretty sure that ages ago i reviewed the game on my blog, but at any case...

I think that Mr.Driller G is ace, of course, and i also find scary that people here like *exactly* the same gems, namely Landmaker, Mr.Driller G and Pop'n Pop.
on the game of the thread, though, i'd say: the no miss AND perfect air bonus is like 300k, so it's important to work first on getting all air, then and learning not to get splatted, and then be fast.Some tetris-based skills should help also in drilling mainly in vertical lines, learning to find long pieces of marshmallows that, destroyed, allow for easy drill-less movement.The rest is practice, the last two stages are extremely fast.
I was wondering: who likes the "hard" and "very hard" settings? Personally, the bizarre extended field leaves me rather cold...
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I think the Driller games are too hard myself. I can only do the easy level without much pain.. After that its suicidal missions a go go!

You have to be so quick and not think, or think too much and go too slow.. or something.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I think the Driller games are too hard myself. I can only do the easy level without much pain.. After that its suicidal missions a go go!

You have to be so quick and not think, or think too much and go too slow.. or something.
yeah, they are pretty hard. But that´s where the challenge comes from: it´s not either be quick or think, it´s think quickly. And there is a similar kind of routine helping you along the way as there is in shmups: when you first encounter a complicated bullet pattern, figuring it out takes too long to survive. But once you know it, you don´t even have to concentrate, but handle it casually. You do that in Mr Driller as well. For example, many air capsules are endlosed by "X" blocks, looking like very hard to get. But often there´s another X block near those surrounding the air capsule. By digging into the space in between, the single X block will fall, joing the other ones, and if they´re 4 then, they´ll just all dissolve. Took me months of playing to figure that one out, and I´m sure there´s many more tricks, much more complicated ones probably, but most of it can be learned, and then you find your digging depth increasing.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

raiden wrote:

yeah, they are pretty hard. But that´s where the challenge comes from: it´s not either be quick or think, it´s think quickly. And there is a similar kind of routine helping you along the way as there is in shmups: when you first encounter a complicated bullet pattern, figuring it out takes too long to survive. But once you know it, you don´t even have to concentrate, but handle it casually. You do that in Mr Driller as well. For example, many air capsules are endlosed by "X" blocks, looking like very hard to get. But often there´s another X block near those surrounding the air capsule. By digging into the space in between, the single X block will fall, joing the other ones, and if they´re 4 then, they´ll just all dissolve. Took me months of playing to figure that one out, and I´m sure there´s many more tricks, much more complicated ones probably, but most of it can be learned, and then you find your digging depth increasing.
The problem I have is that the puzzles seem random. Yeah they may use re-occuring "traps" or specific air enclosed in X blocks, but the surrounding ones are always random. So it not like a shmup where you can get used to a particular path. In Driller, you are always having to pay attention to the surrounding blocks.

I like the last comment of "suicide a go go", thats exactly how I feel when playing.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

definately pick up the ds one but as mentioned it's worth getting the euro or jap one as they have an extra dristone mode and an endless mission mode. i haven't played too much yet as i only got it the other day but i'm slowely getting better! i did have the na version a while back but when i found out i was losing out i returned it to await a full version.

this is definately a lot of fun though
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
raiden

Post by raiden »

The problem I have is that the puzzles seem random. Yeah they may use re-occuring "traps" or specific air enclosed in X blocks, but the surrounding ones are always random. So it not like a shmup where you can get used to a particular path. In Driller, you are always having to pay attention to the surrounding blocks.
well, if you play Survival mode in the versions that have it, the path is entirely preset and learnable. But yeah, there is an element of randomness in the regular modes, like in most puzzle games. The X block example was just meant to illustrate there are standard methods to deal with the majority of situations you will encounter in a run, some obvious, some less so. The games require a lot of patience to get good, just like shmups, only the skills required are different. It´s less reaction and more analysis involved. But in both cases routine takes the biggest part once you get the hang of it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Some Mr. Driller games like Mr. Driller Ace have a special endless course as part of the normal mode instead of endless. The endless course in Mr. Driller Ace has the question mark power ups too.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I don't remember in which thread Pacrappa mentioned Zooo...but i think that i can never thank him enough for doing so.I was *obsessed* with finding a PS2 clone of this kind of game, and Pa has pointed me out to this little and cheap gem. I think i will secretly build a shrine of appreciation for your persona,if i can stop playing the game :mrgreen:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Randorama wrote:I don't remember in which thread Pacrappa mentioned Zooo...but i think that i can never thank him enough for doing so.I was *obsessed* with finding a PS2 clone of this kind of game, and Pa has pointed me out to this little and cheap gem. I think i will secretly build a shrine of appreciation for your persona,if i can stop playing the game :mrgreen:
Zooo is also on GBA and there is a DS version of it named Zoo Keeper. Not sure how the different versions compare, though.
dark penguin

Post by dark penguin »

Just thought I'd chime in and express my admiration for the Mr Driller series. By far one of the best puzzle-ish games ever created.

I sunk a hell of a lot of time into Drill Spirits and Mr Driller 2(GBA) over the last year. The gameplay never gets old!

cheers
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Is there any reason to hunt down Mr. Driller 2 if you already have Drill Spirits or is it pretty much more of the same?
dave4shmups

Re: Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Post by dave4shmups »

Neon wrote:I got this and Landmaker on the same day...needless to say I haven't been to class for a few days.

Mini-review: The game kicks ass.

More serious notes:

Scoring fairly straightforward, 10 points per block, 30k times lives remaining, probably a no-miss bonus, which I haven't found yet, bringing me to the next point:

How the FUCK do you get the perfect air bonus? No, really. Even if you suicide and immediately upon respawning drill through the last big block, the time it takes to fall ticks off 1 little percent from your air...do you have to be below an air capsule, maybe?

I also have the PCB, though my stupid supergun isn't working (Matt Ross, where are you?). I was able to play it on my brother's Jamma rig however. I can't remember all of the differences as that was a few weeks ago, but one note is that the PCB is better for multiplayer since the PS actually has to halve the size of the screen, presumably due to memory limitations. [edit - for clarity, the game is still fullscreen, but each player gets one half, everything is much tinier while on PCB it's still fullsize] Multiplayer is also great. Race mode I don't have 'worthy' (hehe) competition with locally, but survival mode allows for handicaps in terms of the amount of lives you get so roommates, girlfriends, etc. can compete on a reasonable level. You can get powerups to rotate the other person's entire set of blocks which is completely hilarious and adds so much to the experience, in a mariopartyish 'take all their stars' way, although unlike that piece a shit it's not totally arbitrary.

As for single player modes, there's 'scenario' which is a story mode, time attack mode (yes!) and 'mission' modes (must reach a preset depth goal). I haven't worked on the timeattacks yet as I forgot my PS memory card, but they should be ace. They were certainly the best part of the first game.

Which brings me to the next point: Owning this does NOT negate owning Driller 1 as someone mentioned, it's actually more of an expansion pack in terms of new time trials, new soundtrack, new characters, and new survival mode, etc.

I haven't covered characters or the changes to survival mode. The robot allows for you to be hit twice as opposed to once until a death (miss!). The dog (named Puchi, an apparent play on 'Pooch' American slang for a dog, nyuk nyuk) can climb 2 blocks horizontally as opposed to the usual 1. Not sure of the differences with the other characters as of yet.

Survival mode has a lot of crazy changes. There are question mark powerups that can warp you to a whole new set of blocks (I've forgot if this changes your depth), take off half your air, give you full air, give you a bubble which allows an extra hit, and put little icons over your head, which I'm hoping someone can clarify about (sometimes it'll be a block, or a rock, or a little bursting icon, I'm confused as to what it's trying to tell you to do). It's selectable on the 'mission' screen, just go to infinite depth. Soundtrack for this bit is so great, though not dramatic like Driller 1 10 thousand foot mode.

Based on this game's greatness I've decided to get a Gamecube for Drill Land and gameboy player for Ace...will a Japanese GC work with a US gameboy player?
Thanks for the review Neon; I have a modded PS1 and wasn't even aware of this title! :D

Accessories are always region-free, so I'm sure that a Japanese GC would work with a US Game Boy Player-however, I would just go with an American Game Cube, and then get a Freeloader disc to play imports. Cubes are cheap, only $99.00 brand new, and you can probably still get one packaged with Metriod Prime, one of the greatest next-gen action games.

Remember UD's sig "Consoles should have a "fun" button"? Well, Nintendo consoles are just plain fun, and the Cube is no exception! There aren't as many exclusives as there are for the XBOX or the PS2, but what's there is a LOT of fun! :D

Would GBA Drill Dozer count as part of the series? I'd sure like to get my hands on it as it's supposed to be wicked fun.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
benj

Post by benj »

Drill Dozer has nothing to do with Mr. Driller. DD is a 2D platformer, Mr.D is a puzzle game. Drill Dozer isn't that great btw. The idea is nice, but I'd say it's too short and too easy. Mr. Driller is miles ahead of it.