Late realizations

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
iconoclast

Re: Late realizations

Post by iconoclast »

Bananamatic wrote:
iconoclast wrote:enemies with predefined levels and stats that the player can easily surpass and trivialize through grinding
I don't think it's even possible to actually grind your way through souls

In the first dks you can get broken gear early on, but only if you know what you're actually doing or using a guide and getting an extra level or two changes very little while getting an extra 10 or 20 takes forever and still doesn't change enough to make you overpowered
I know Demon's and Dark Souls 1 had popular grinding spots that give you tons of souls for rapid leveling. Demon's has the spot in 4-2 (?) with the reapers and invisible enemies, and Dark has the respawning NPCs at the entrance of Darkroot Forest.

Sure, you can't completely nullify all difficulty, like to the point where you can 1-shot bosses and take 100 hits or something, but you always have plenty of options to alter the balance.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

It would be more accurate to conclude that these mechanics make the Souls games more dependent on the development of the player character, not solely on player skill, and that they offer more customization than a comparably "pure" action game like Akumajou Densetsu (and Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, a version of the game with weaker music :) ). All that can be said is that while both titles feature real-time combat, they clearly belong to different genres.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

How long has that donate button been there?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ages. Like a couple years?

I didn't realise Spartan X was the Japanese title of Jackie Chan martial arts flick Wheels on Meals until yesterday, when I noticed Benny "The Jet" Urquidez on the Irem game's arcade flyer. Always assumed Spartan was another movie... and tbh, the game feels much closer to Bruce Lee's Game of Death anyway (complete with Massive Black Bloke aka Not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as st3 boss!).

The Famicom port's box/manual/cart lack any sight of the movie's stars. Incidentally, its European release ("Kung Fu") borrows its cover illustration, where the US one is the typical black box/pixel art of early Nintendo games.

Holy fuck, that's some fight Benny and Jackie have in Spartan/Wheels! Legendary, painful! Mr. X vs Thomas doesn't quite live up to it unfortunately.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sounds like you haven't read this excellent write-up!
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/jackiechan/jackie.htm
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Spartan X is also the name of Mitsuharu Misawa's entrance theme :mrgreen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S25uXY4BW7k
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BIL wrote:Ages. Like a couple years?

I didn't realise Spartan X was the Japanese title of Jackie Chan martial arts flick Wheels on Meals until yesterday, when I noticed Benny "The Jet" Urquidez on the Irem game's arcade flyer. Always assumed Spartan was another movie... and tbh, the game feels much closer to Bruce Lee's Game of Death anyway (complete with Massive Black Bloke aka Not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as st3 boss!).

The Famicom port's box/manual/cart lack any sight of the movie's stars. Incidentally, its European release ("Kung Fu") borrows its cover illustration, where the US one is the typical black box/pixel art of early Nintendo games.
Having only ever played the game on one of those 10000-in-one famiclones, I never knew the game was called anything other than Spartan-X [and of course, I never knew that was meant to be a movie title tie-in].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Had I not decided to like old stuff, I'd might actually have friends. "Retro" gaming has been a total pain in the ass, and it's completely unreasonable to expect anyone else to be into it. I'm done with this. I'm going to build a more powerful PC, play Overwatch, Fallout 4, and other modern games, listen to some modern music, and watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Deadpool, etc. Even if the newer stuff isn't as good, it's still way easier to get into and I can actually discuss it with other people. I might actually have a social life. I'll probably store both of the CRTs in my room (that aren't in the storage locker) as well my older consoles in the basement or something just in case.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

If it'll get you to stop posting every bit of your life here, do it.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are really good though.

Of course, you could always be a reasonable person and like new and old stuff, just without obsessing over either like a crazy person.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

ag do you know of Connor Bible? You're reminding me of him. Except you're on this forum and wont to PM me occasionally, which means you're a bit too close for comfort. :/

Here's a great fortune cookie quote:

"The key to life is balance."

That was written on the shitter door of my first job circa 1943, and I believe it's true. Even water and oxygen will kill you in high enough concentrations. Moderation itself must be moderated lest it curdle into complacency and ruin your shit!

Drama queening of the sort you've been doing all summer here, up to your latest post, is comically unbalanced behaviour. Just watch or play whatever. It's not important. Going balls-deep into obscure personal hobbies will indeed cost you elsewhere, them's the breaks! So don't, or at least, don't keep fucking whining to us about it. Even a bone-idle casual like me is starting to feel guilty for burning up bloodf's HDD space on your understandable but at this point worn to the bone teenage angst.

Regards, Brianna
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

atheistgod1999 wrote:Had I not decided to like old stuff, I'd might actually have friends.
atheistgod1999 wrote:Even if the newer stuff isn't as good, it's still way easier to get into and I can actually discuss it with other people. I might actually have a social life.
You've made many stupid posts in your time here, but this one takes the cake.

I shouldn't have to tell you this, but your interests are not the problem and never have been. Don't even think about your interests. Nobody gives a damn what you do in your free time as long as you aren't being obnoxious about it. The fact of the matter is that regardless of how much time you spend forcing yourself into whatever hobby you deem popular, you will still be a whiny, attention-seeking, mentally unstable little faggot who for some reason has not been banned despite this forum having had little impact on your unbearable personality.

I don't understand why your low self-esteem and your terrible social skills are our problem. You have been beyond our help from the longest time and don't even listen to our advice. I don't know what it is that you need to deal with your issue - don't know what it is you think you need to improve your image or whatever - but whatever it is, it clearly isn't here and you are wasting your fucking time thinking you need to even bother with this forum. For the love of God, just stop.

By the way, your "canceling out" did jack squat.

If you are thinking of replying to this, you are missing the point.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Rob

Post by Rob »

I seriously recommend some hiking for our young atheistgod1999. Breathe some fresh air, endure some misery, meet some people. You live in Massachusetts. That's not the worst place a god could've plopped you. Forget about TV and all of this crap. You will never gain anything or have anything worth talking about from watching TV.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

WelshMegalodon wrote:If you are thinking of replying to this, you are missing the point.
I wouldn't worry about that. His MO seems to be to not to reply to any direct advice and to instead make a general whiny post for the whole forum. He PM'd me (and god knows who else) the other day asking for advice, I foolishly wasted my time replying, and his response was...nothing. Not even a "I don't agree, but OK". Just nothing, which is somehow more insulting.

The sad thing for him is, we may be the closest thing he has to friends, or at least the most socializing he does, but now he says our common interest is a waste of time. No advice in the world can save a person like this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Maybe ag is actually bloodf testing our compassion and brotherhood. Like that bit wot in Henry V where the guvna (aka Henry V) disguises himself as some right jammy cunt and hangs around camp, avin a right larf with his mates. Heartwarming option!

Or perhaps ag was recap all along... :shock:
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Reading that post is especially frustrating due to us knowing he had already tried this. Forcing yourself to like popular things is brainless enough without this sort of imbecilic reasoning behind it. It's enough to drive one mad.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

atheistgod1999 wrote:Had I not decided to like old stuff, I'd might actually have friends.
If have a hunch that this is not the culprit
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

WelshMegalodon wrote:You've made many stupid posts in your time here, but this one takes the cake.

I shouldn't have to tell you this, but your interests are not the problem and never have been. Don't even think about your interests. Nobody gives a damn what you do in your free time as long as you aren't being obnoxious about it. The fact of the matter is that regardless of how much time you spend forcing yourself into whatever hobby you deem popular, you will still be a whiny, attention-seeking, mentally unstable little faggot who for some reason has not been banned despite this forum having had little impact on your unbearable personality.

I don't understand why your low self-esteem and your terrible social skills are our problem. You have been beyond our help from the longest time and don't even listen to our advice. I don't know what it is that you need to deal with your issue - don't know what it is you think you need to improve your image or whatever - but whatever it is, it clearly isn't here and you are wasting your fucking time thinking you need to even bother with this forum. For the love of God, just stop.

By the way, your "canceling out" did jack squat.

If you are thinking of replying to this, you are missing the point.
Quoted for truth
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

NTSC-J wrote:He PM'd me (and god knows who else) the other day asking for advice, I foolishly wasted my time replying, and his response was...nothing. Not even a "I don't agree, but OK". Just nothing, which is somehow more insulting.
Welcome to the club.
NTSC-J wrote:No advice in the world can save a person like this.
Indeed. But we can be saved from him...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Xyga wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:He PM'd me (and god knows who else) the other day asking for advice, I foolishly wasted my time replying, and his response was...nothing. Not even a "I don't agree, but OK". Just nothing, which is somehow more insulting.
Welcome to the club.
Same here. This is like a case of the deaf boy who cried wolf or something. He cries and cries and they come running, but he keeps crying even though they're already there.

Then they realize he isn't even in charge of any sheep and wonder what the fuck he's even doing.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

atheistgod1999 wrote:Had I not decided to like old stuff, I'd might actually have friends. "Retro" gaming has been a total pain in the ass, and it's completely unreasonable to expect anyone else to be into it. I'm done with this. I'm going to build a more powerful PC, play Overwatch, Fallout 4, and other modern games, listen to some modern music, and watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Deadpool, etc. Even if the newer stuff isn't as good, it's still way easier to get into and I can actually discuss it with other people. I might actually have a social life. I'll probably store both of the CRTs in my room (that aren't in the storage locker) as well my older consoles in the basement or something just in case.
You're constantly complaining about how nobody likes you because you like old stuff, yet you're posting this on a forum where people are talking about old games and other old things all the time. The negative reception from people here should make it clear that there's something more to it than liking/not liking old things.

Liking old things doesn't lose you friends, it's obnoxiously rejecting new things (emphasis on obnoxiously) that does. Generally people aren't going to hate you for liking things (unless it's something politically charged), but if you're going to be close-minded about it then I don't expect it to end well. There's more amazing things coming to life every day than anybody has time for in their lives, but if you go into it expecting not to like it then more likely than not it'll be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Even if you're adamant about your opinion that some old thing is better than some new thing then attitude makes a big difference. It's the difference between "your thing sucks and you should feel bad for liking it" and "that's cool, if you like that you're going to love this" - same opinion, but one denigrates and disparages while the other educates and uplifts. One communicates that you're just trying to push your view onto others, the other expresses a desire to learn from each other and discover things together.

I don't know if you're taking the advice I've given you in the past to delay your posts and look them over before submitting them, but if you are don't just think about what'll happen to you. The point is to consider how others would feel reading your post. This applies to what you say in real life too. Without empathizing (not necessarily sympathizing) with those you interact with and their goals and motivations, you're not going to get very far. That's what leads you to "backtrack" while ending up annoying people even more - you're misunderstanding what they're annoyed about in the first place.

If you really want to gain a better foothold here, go play some more shmups and talk about those and share your scores - that's what people here like to see. I heard you bought some quality shmups in the shoot 'em ups sale on Steam. Those could really use some active play and discussion. Avoid talking about yourself, and maybe just avoid Off Topic entirely, unless you're sure you can handle it (and before you say that you're sure, no you're not). You and the rest of us came here to talk about these games, so do that and don't waste your breath and your time talking about yourself before we have any reason to care about you. If you need to remove the letter "I" from your keyboard to do that, then I encourage you to do it.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I-I think Atheistgod has actually left us.

Also was showing Elemental Master to a friend today, and he pointed out...

Kubla Conversation: are thier names
Kubla Conversation: literally just
Kubla Conversation: raiden and loki
Kubla Conversation: with the l and r japanesefucked

Loki I had noticed, but Laden hadn't crossed my mind yet, heh.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I-I think Atheistgod has actually left us.
I'd wondered too, but then it's happened before.

We should probably codify an "ag99 cycle" at this point. :wink:
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I had no idea Skyrim and Morrowind were established back in TES: Arena until I started playing it just now.

And now I just realized that the names are all puns. Examples:
Skyrim
Sky rim
Rim, AKA edge, of the sky
Skyrim has mountains, so it means that the mountains touch the sky.

"Elsweyr" = "Elsewhere"
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

atheistgod1999 wrote:I had no idea Skyrim and Morrowind were established back in TES: Arena until I started playing it just now.
You're still more informed than that shit-eating ignoramus Brianna Wu! :3
Spoiler
^ tweet deleted soon after!
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Realizing that an aha-erlebnis had nothing to do with A-HA the band is something that took me
till I was mid-twenties. :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

I didn't know that the Valve logo theme music was originally music in Half-Life.
PuToTyra

Post by PuToTyra »

atheistgod1999 wrote:I had no idea Skyrim and Morrowind were established back in TES: Arena until I started playing it just now.

And now I just realized that the names are all puns. Examples:
Skyrim
Sky rim
Rim, AKA edge, of the sky
Skyrim has mountains, so it means that the mountains touch the sky.

"Elsweyr" = "Elsewhere"
soo...Vavrendell is what? Dwarfenfell?

And what about Cyrodil?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

"Only Sith deal in absolutes" is actually an absolute in itself.
just sayin
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

"GameBoy" is a play on "Walkman".