The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Shoryukev

Re: The Super Famicom / Super NES Thread

Post by Shoryukev »

That is one hell of a boxed collection! I'd love to have just the Mega Man X set. I have X and X3 loose carts, but I'm still missing X2.

I've been really enjoying my SNES a lot the last year or two. I've always been a Sega kid, but there's no denying the SNES has an absolutely amazing library. I wish I could go back and play some of these games through 8 year old eyes, but growing up we didn't have a whole lot of money. Oh well....playing them through 31 year old eyes is pretty good too. It's amazing how many titles have withstood the test of time. Nintendo was cranking out masterpieces in this era.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

BIL wrote: I really wanted to love Logic Bomb, a few years back. Might well revisit, now that my Hardcore Topdown Shooting roster is much beefier. At the time I wanted do/die action, and quickly moved onto arcadier stuff.
Shouldn't take you long to do so, it only took a few sessions for me to complete it. The pace is quite slow and only one of the bosses offers up any real threat. I spent a lot of time wandering around rooms I'd cleared trying to find whatever terminal opens up the next bit of the game. Not sure if the manual would help but mine's German and it was quicker to just do the game than brush up enough to read it!

It's fun though and the crabs are pretty cool!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah yes, biomechanical crustaceans are never unwelcome under my roof - I was literally just admiring Wild Guns' crabwalking gatling mechas!

Also, my Firemen run is finally up!
Shoryukev wrote:I've been really enjoying my SNES a lot the last year or two. I've always been a Sega kid, but there's no denying the SNES has an absolutely amazing library.
Same - I didn't get to do much 16 through 32-bit gaming period, as a kid, so 90% of this stuff is all new to me and it's been rad. One thing I've learned about SFC's place in relation to the MD and PC Engine - the popular notion of it not having a strong action library is totally off. It doesn't match their sheer breadth of lesser gems, but its absolute best stuff is ferociously competitive. I'm happy to see our SFC, MD and PCE threads of the hour all on the front page this afternoon! The 16-bit triple crown must always be acknowledged in full.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Immryr wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:This is my current list of NTSC US and SFC games -

Actraiser US CIB
Chōmakaimura (Super Ghouls and Ghosts) SFC CIB
Legend of the Mystical Ninja US CIB
Sanrio World Smash Ball SFC CIB
Super MarioKart SFC CIB
Super Punch Out US CIB
Super Turrican US CIB
Yossi Island SFC CIB

Total spent so far £337. :?
that seems a lot, but I don't really know what the US games sell for. I'm at a pretty similar position with my SFC "collection" but I think I've spent way less.

Super Metroid
Assault Suits Valken
Panel De Pon
Smash TV
Star Fox
Yossi Island
Super Mario World
Seiken Densetsu 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Mario Kart
Super Donkey Kong 2

all CIB except Yossi Island, which I'm missing the manual for, and my total spend is something like £162. admittedly I've mostly been looking to get the cheaper games first. kiki kaikai is the next game I'm thinking about getting.... but that is definitely gonna raise my total spend by a considerable amount!

Its only expensive if you can't afford it. :wink:

Compared to what people on this site spend on PCB's and so forth its nothing. The most I spent on one item was £60 for both Mystical Ninja and Actraiser. But Actraiser I got from Canada and some of that fee was for the shipping. I thought Turrican was quite cheap at £40 considering the BINS that are out there.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Its only expensive if you can't afford it. :wink:
This is very true, we all have different hobbies that fall within our means. I try to remind my wife whenever a new game shows up in our mailbox that this hobby is cheaper than if I bought another guitar :lol:
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

BIL wrote:Is The Ignition Factor any good? I briefly tried the JP version, but a language barrier quickly became apparent so I put it aside. I was kinda liking what I saw - certainly is distinct from The Firemen, if nothing else. SFC version is dirt cheap too, never a bad thing in this tragic age!
While The Firemen is something I'd almost universally recommend, I think The Ignition Factor's more a matter of taste. It's a slower-paced game and tries to be more realistic (though still not very realistic in absolute terms).

On the plus side, you get more variety in equipment and location, including a cool secret stage where you respond to a fire at the evil corporation from Rushing Beat Shura and get attacked by their mutants, giving your firemen's axe a chance to chop something other than doors.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

This has been niggling me for some days. I've got a European Wii and was going to download Sin & Punishment and some PCE games on VC (since they're 60hz) and noticed that the SNES VC games now state that they're 'USA versions on Wii U.' I recall hearing way back when the SNES games were all 50hz on VC. Since they're the USA versions do they now run 60hz on Wii, or is this only (as stated) just for Wii U???
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Martinov wrote:This has been niggling me for some days. I've got a European Wii and was going to download Sin & Punishment and some PCE games on VC (since they're 60hz) and noticed that the SNES VC games now state that they're 'USA versions on Wii U.' I recall hearing way back when the SNES games were all 50hz on VC. Since they're the USA versions do they now run 60hz on Wii, or is this only (as stated) just for Wii U???
Would imagine since Wii is PAL it wouldn't support 60hz.

No point in not supporting 60hz with Wii U because its HDMI.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

PAL Wiis support 60 Hz output (as do other PAL consoles since the Dreamcast, given that newer TVs at the time supported it), in fact a few disc games flat out require you to be running your Wii in 60 Hz mode.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Crazy how things just pop back up into the forum - for some reason in my searches through the PS2 library I found Firefighter F.D. 18, and while I don't know anything about that, a bit more searching uncovered the two SNES firefighting games mentioned here.

Wikipedia tells me that Hudson's The Firefighters wasn't their first disaster game, but instead that was a game called SOS on the SNES, or Septentrion. That game has a JP-only sequel on the PSX, "Septentrion: Out of the Blue" which seems to have roughly Alone In The Dark-quality visuals.

I'm being lazy and just typing without having done my research, but does this ring a bell for anybody? Aside from the games mentioned here, are there any disaster titles worth looking out for here?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excuse me you mean Human, right? That's the company's real name. Image

Sorry Ed, just trying on my elitist hat. I stumbled into Little Annoyed Hell on a pisser, some rascals plonked it on me bonce, and now I can't get the faaackin thing off! :shock: To tell you the truth I kind of like it! :wink:

Septentrion has been on my radar (baaahahaha - did ships have radar back then >_>) for ages, since this topic's inception actually... exceptionally rad boxart for sure. Language barrier and seeming relative scarceness have put me off for now though.

Doesn't seem at all like The Firemen, despite being billed in some quarters as spiritually linked. Shared themes at most. The Firemen is a flat-out topdown shooting seek/destroy, as much as Assault or Granada; if I were feeling a right jammy bastard I'd discuss it in Shumps Chat. I won't though! Septentrion seems more of a cinematic sidescroller, which is still cool if done right of course. SOS Final Escape could solve the language issue ofc, but I am suicidally Japan or bust atm so haven't checked. zinger and Skykid like it, which has kept it on my shortlist.

I want to give Irem's PS2 (and onward?) Disaster something or other games a look, they had some interesting ambivalent buzz. Otherwise I like my disaster games to be pretty much Contra III's first stage. Oh sheeit a busted gas main! Jump over it quick!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Yeah, the PS2 Disaster Report is a natural enough choice, that's also on my list. I'm thinking I just need to be sure to avoid State of Emergency, which appears marketed towards beergut admirers.

Between the rarity of disaster type games, and playing around with Spiderman 2 on GC, it's not easy to love the gaming industry's choices for what get made. Interestingly enough, I think disaster type games - or spiderman 2 with its famous movement system - are more in line with 2D era games where it wasn't assumed everybody was a bullet sponge, and where timing mattered. I still love a good tanky TPS game though.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I think Disaster Report's dumb, but its sequel Raw Danger is pretty good.

Your resource in the first game is water. You get dehydrated and keel over if you go a few minutes without a drink, but conveniently, there are functional water fountains pretty much every block in this abandoned sinking city. It feels fake, and with water so plentiful, doesn't add any challenge either. The second game uses heat, which makes a lot more sense (hypothermia can drop people pretty fast) and has at least a little risk of ending your game.

As far as setting, the disaster hits just as your sole character is arriving in Disaster Report and knocks him out. By the time he wakes up and the game begins, almost everyone's evacuated. You never see the city in it's normal state, so the devastated version doesn't have any impact. Raw Danger has you play as multiple characters, some of whose stories start before the danger gets raw, so it has the transition from normalcy and shell-shocked civilians that are hallmarks of disaster.

The first game has two points where the scenario briefly branches, but in the second, there are more choices. You can make the various characters be heroic or total shitheels, and their actions can also make life better or worse for each other. One bit of carelessness with character A involving, you guessed it, a busted gas main, will make things rough when it comes time to play as character B.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mortificator wrote:you guessed it, a busted gas main
Aww yeauh. NASTY fuckers those things! Dependable though!

Oh god, wasn't one of these games really, really awkwardly Non-Asianed / Aryan Master Raced Up for NTSCU, or something? I seem to recall watching a video and feeling like I was seeing a belated Village of the Damned license, then reading comments confirming the awful truth and going "oh nawwwwww!" edit: Yep, was recalling Raw Danger. Everyone is Donald Trump!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Somehow it seems fitting that Donald Trump would have to learn about the dangers of shoddy construction to survive. Unfortunately, it seems you will have to make do with festive Santa's Elf hats, not a proper red cap.

Seems that this isn't the final Disaster Report sequel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zettai_Ze ... ojo_no_Uta

Unfortunately it's not released outside Japan. The 2011 earthquake killed the last sequel for a while, but it's coming back. Hmm!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

BIL wrote:Septentrion seems more of a cinematic sidescroller, which is still cool if done right of course. SOS Final Escape could solve the language issue ofc, but I am suicidally Japan or bust atm so haven't checked. zinger and Skykid like it, which has kept it on my shortlist.
Do what I did then and pick up Septentrion for box art that you could hang on your wall, and use the translated rom for play. I like Septentrion for a lot of reasons: originality, premise, atmosphere, and realistic Mode 7 capsizing ship rocking that changes the field on the fly. What I'm not too keen on is the levels of realism. A little arcade in there would have gone a long way methinks, but as it stands you're faced with an enormous upside down ship that keeps moving around, lots of screens that look fairly similar (or are difficult to read at entry due to their inversion) and a lot of looking at the ship's map to try to pinpoint where exactly you are. All this with a punishing time limit on top (the fucker's sinking after all!) that regularly has you frantic as you try to work your way through the nightmare of a sinking vessel on its way to Davy Jones lockup while trying to save every stupid git who didn't get to a lifeboat in time ("Lesbians, womyn of colour and freemason's childrenz first, you rabble in second class, we're throwing away the key!").

It takes some getting used to, especially the stiffness of the controls when you're trying to climb through structures tipped diagonally; but that said there's nothing quite like it in 16-bit gaming, and the satisfaction for actually finishing it is on par with surviving a sinking ocean liner.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

BIL

Post by BIL »

Aaand the good ship SFC Nerdboner is afloat once again! Good call on teh romz stopgap, will be keeping an eye out for a nice copy. Image
Ed Oscuro wrote:Somehow it seems fitting that Donald Trump would have to learn about the dangers of shoddy construction to survive.
:lol:
Last edited by BIL on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I have both Septendrion and SOS (got the Japanese one boxed - it's actually part of my series on SFC box art that I mentioned in another thread - but quickly realised I needed an English version).
It's not a great game, but a very interesting one that requires a lot of dedication to fully appreciate. The main game is not in escaping the ship, which is actually fairly simple, but the details in what is going on with the other passengers and their relations. Rescuing even one other person already makes the game a lot tougher. The controls can also be a bother once the Mode7 sets in, you need to know what you can and can't do, because it's not always obvious.

I would very much recommend getting the localized version of the game if you don't understand Japanese, as you would miss out on pretty much everything.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

This thread deserves a bump, so here's a rant:
My sister got me a SF30 pad by 8Bitdo as a Christmas present (to bad it came much later :lol: ). Having used a Dual Shock 2 with a USB adapter for the last years, this changed things tremendously, more precisely on the D-pad: it simply is way superior for everything, now I can easily execute fighting commands (I think I mentioned this already to BIL during a discussion on Gundam Wing Endless Duel's delicious OST), not to mention the lack of rumble motors make the pad way lighter. As a bonus, it came with a nice keychain celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Famicom.
I can't say if the original SNES/SFC pads are superior, since I unfortunately never played with a real one (MD kid :wink: ), but I'm pleased with this indeed.
8Bitdo seems to have released a new version with two more shoulder buttons and two analog sticks, but it seems to ugly.:?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote: 8Bitdo seems to have released a new version with two more shoulder buttons and two analog sticks, but it seems to ugly.:?
I have the new one (SF30 Pro) and I like it quite a bit. It's not quite the same as a SNES pad, but it handles diagonals and SF commands well. I haven't used it on SNES, though. I used it mostly as a switch controller, though I did try it with Android and PC.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Immryr wrote: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
That was never ported to 16-bit consoles. You're thinking of either, Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting or Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers.
YoniArousement

SNES!

Post by YoniArousement »

I heard the console versions of Super Street Fighter II didn't sell well enough to warrant Super Turbo getting ported to SNES or Genesis. I assume he means Hyper Fighting. Between HF and SSF2, I'd say HF has better character balance, with one of the best versions of Zangief (360 whiff animation didn't exist yet, kick lariat can pass through low tigers) and Blanka (vertical ball had descending active frames that were removed in SSFII) in SFII series. Yeah, I'm sorta a big Street Fighter II geek.

In July 2014, I started collecting some SNES games, but later decided I didn't feel right wasting a lot of money on games I can't beat, considering that I'm not the least bit hardcore (laughs), and I don't really show off collections anyways. I haven't played my regular SNES and English reproduction of Seiken Densetsu 3 in a long time.

A wiki that covers SNES fighting games called Super Fighting Wiki has been recently created a few months ago. I particularly like the article for the 2017 SNES fighting game, Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunter, and how it lists some gameplay flaws, like one of the characters having a corner infinite involving a single attack.

Battle Master for SFC is pretty funny IMO, with its re-dizzy combos. And it had throw softening before Super Turbo, and air blocking before Darkstalkers (although the arcade game Blandia had air blocking even earlier).
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

HF is indeed what i meant, i think i just automatically assume every snes/sfc game has the word super at the beginning.
Jonny2x4

Re: SNES!

Post by Jonny2x4 »

YoniArousement wrote:I heard the console versions of Super Street Fighter II didn't sell well enough to warrant Super Turbo getting ported to SNES or Genesis.
I always assumed it was because Super Turbo came out at the time the 32-bit consoles were launching and Capcom wanted to focus more on them, hence the 3DO port that came out shortly afterward. Then again, there was that very late release of Alpha 2 on the SNES.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

YoniArousement wrote:I heard the console versions of Super Street Fighter II didn't sell well enough to warrant Super Turbo getting ported to SNES or Genesis.
Hmmm... I have a hard time believing this theory. Didn't Street Fighter 2 moved a shit ton of units in Europe when it was the pack-in game with the SNES? It was a must-have cart here too.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Jonny2x4 wrote:I always assumed it was because Super Turbo came out at the time the 32-bit consoles were launching ...
That probably and I remember also hearing a lot of 'more of the same' or 'milking the cow' and 'another ridiculous title' criticism at the time.
Honestly I think only one kid in our gang had it.
(also just remembered another one had the MD version)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The MD/Genesis version of SSFII was infamous for using a large cart size and still having notoriously poor sound.
YoniArousement

Super Street Fighter II Sales

Post by YoniArousement »

According to VGChartz, SSFII on SNES and Genesis must have sold better in Japan. Other people say it costed too much money to produce copies of 16-bit SSFII, especially the Genesis version. Some Genesis emulators (such as the Steam Sega Collection's Simple Launcher) might not even support SSFII because of its large size. Claw's yodel in particular sounds terrible in the Genesis version, and someone even made a patch for both CE and SSFII that improves the quality of the PCM samples, and also a patch for Genesis SSFII that makes the color palettes closer to the arcade.

For some reason, the music between the JP and US/EU versions of SNES Super Street Fighter II sound different. I prefer the Japanese SFC soundtrack, because the Western SNES soundtrack uses too much of that guitar heard in Mega Man X2, like the Intro Stage and Morph Moth's stage. Ken's unique throw voice was changed, and Dhalsim's KO cry had its pitch lowered. Announcer's voice clips for saying the characters' names were added/used in the Western SNES version, whereas SFC SSFII just says "You Win" even in 2-player matches.
Marc

Post by Marc »

God, it sounded like crap even in the arcade in comparison to vanillaTurbo... I'd forgotten how hideous the home versions of that game were.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
YoniArousement

Yet more Street Fighter II Talk

Post by YoniArousement »

Oh yeah, regular Super Street Fighter II definitely sounded muffled compared to Super Turbo and Hyper Street Fighter II.