Late realizations

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Re: Late realizations

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

There's no 'a' In definite
There's a difference between uninterested and disinterested
Nonplussed doesn't mean what I thought it meant
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

It's not a late realization for me, but it might be for other people interested in CWC (like BIL):

You know how was using the female bathroom at the mall for being cleaner when starting to be trans? There's a South Park episode called "The Cissy" that aired in late 2014 that's extremely similar. Like holy fuck.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Like most good netizens who happen by the ongoing multi-car pileup that is CWC, my interest in him is like that in Alan Partridge and David Brent. Poor Chris just has the misfortune of being... NON FICTION. 3;

Brianna Wu is my internet schadenfreude waifu. ;3
PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:There's no 'a' In definite
I thought "approximate" meant "exact" until like five years ago. :oops:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

It's a first world problem, but I just realized Max in SOR Remake has a power bomb that takes meter.
My lord, I have come for you.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

I like this thread it's here for you when you need it. You know in Doctor Who The Master is also named after an academic qualification :shock:
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Oda, the dude who made One Piece (of Shit), probably has a lot of weird fetishes :?
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

What's with you and out of place posts, lately?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Lord Satori wrote:What's with you and out of place posts, lately?
Well, it's a sudden realization and I thought it would be a little bit interesting to others.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Leandro wrote:
Ruldra wrote:Realized that maybe I shouldn't have spent so much time playing videogames. Not too happy with where I am in life right now and a big part of it is that I didn't care much about anything other than games.
I suffer from this too, but what aspect of your life you are not happy with? Professional or love life?
Professional. I graduated in a field I have zero interest in, only because it was safe - the pay is good and there are many job opportunities, at least that was true 20 years ago. Now there are only a handful of open positions and thousands of people are fighting for them. Only the very best take the jobs and I can't compete with them. The current crisis only made things worse.

Maybe I should've studied harder or graduated in a field that I can be passionate about, but I was too focused on videogames to care about that. Now I'm paying the price.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:There's no 'a' In definite
In the same vein, when I was a kid I thought that the word vivid carried its opposite meaning. When a person would say "I remember it vividly" and then go on to describe something in great detail, I figured this must be some kind of running gag.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Eating ramen is a lot easier if you get rid of the broth before putting the noodles into a bowl.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

What the fuck
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

AG99 is learning the language, the alphabet, playing the RPGs and eating da Ramen.

I think he's turning Japanese I think he's turning weeaboo I really think so.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Suicidal Tendencies' "Cyco Vision" is somehow uncensored, with "Bullshit" and "No shit" clearly audible, in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. All the future games muted the swear words in the songs.

Also: Does Demon's Souls seriously count as a JRPG?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

atheistgod1999 wrote:Suicidal Tendencies' "Cyco Vision" is somehow uncensored, with "Bullshit" and "No shit" clearly audible, in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. All the future games muted the swear words in the songs.

Also: Does Demon's Souls seriously count as a JRPG?
Tons of From Software, Souls and more general threads to post questions around here.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

atheistgod1999 wrote:Also: Does Demon's Souls seriously count as a JRPG?
Yes. In the same way that Smash Bros is a fighting game. Some may dispute it saying "that's not what I think of when I say fighter/jrpg", but it really does meet all of the qualifications even if it is a bit genre-busting as well.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Well, if we're really going to do this...
atheistgod1999 wrote:Also: Does Demon's Souls seriously count as a JRPG?
Answering such a question is almost impossible. Due to misinformation about the genre, a tendency to overgeneralize, obnoxious marketing tactics, BioWare, people who have only played tabletop, and everything from petty pedantry to outright Internet douchebaggery, the term "RPG" has effectively lost all meaning and few can recall a time when it all seemed clear-cut. This represents one of the few pieces of writing that actually feels informed about the history of the issue, and this video, poorly worded as it may be, is the closest thing I've seen to a proper examination of "JRPGs".

http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,25/
http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,31/
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20070 ... on_pfv.htm

What actually makes a JRPG? We all think we know, but the fact of the matter is that what everyone (including myself) "knows" is incomplete and, in many cases, ill-informed. We've never come close to fixing this issue because video games don't have any sort of "scholarly" value and game journalists would rather write about sexism or violence. I guess there really isn't much point to doing this, since it won't sell games... except there is, since having a set of consistent and descriptive labels for whatever genres we associate with "role-playing" can help consumers actually know what the heck they're buying.

Even if it is only among the members of this forum, we need to write a definition of "JRPG" we can all agree on before attempting to even touch a question like "Is Demon's Souls a 'JRPG'?", possibly multiple definitions depending how literally (or liberally) we choose to apply the term. Far too many Internet threads full of 13-year-olds skip this initial step and thus end up throwing all kinds of weird baggage into the mix like Zelda and LARPing and "strict DM vs loose DM". (Fact: every single video game with a discernible player character is the electronic manifestation of a "strict DM".)
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Just realized why Token in South Park is named the way he is
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Durandal wrote:Just realized why Token in South Park is named the way he is
When i heard someone say his full name is real life, i couldn't stop laughing and had to explain the joke to the person who told me. :lol:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Didn't just realize this, but a few months ago I noticed that users on here pretty much either only use the hardware section or everything else. If I talked about that "retro gamer" kid on the hardware section, some people might've actually agreed with me that he needed a CRT. He ended up getting a CRT (TruFlat), and I gave him an SNES/N64/NGC S-Video cable and a PS2/3 component cable. He got pissed off when I asked him a couple weeks later if he used them and yelled at me that he never did.

By the way: I actually just realized in the picture he sent me of his consoles (that's how I knew) that he didn't even set the TV to 4:3.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

All of the Souls games are RPGs. Nioh is an RPG. Nier and Nier Automata are RPGs. Odin Sphere is an RPG. Kingdom Hearts is an RPG. Final Fantasy is an RPG. J and W mean nothing aside from where the game was developed.

I need a trigger warning for threads where people are hyping up Bloodborne and Nioh like they're pure action games.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't give a crap what you decide to call an "RPG", as someone else said, the term is pretty watered down and nearly impossible to define by rules in a video game context - but Bloodborne is just as much an RPG as Castlevania 3 is. :)
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Does Castlevania 3 have player-character leveling with fully adjustable stats, enemies that give you experience when killed, lots of upgradeable and customizable weapons and armor to find, and enemies with predefined levels and stats that the player can easily surpass and trivialize through grinding, for example? I don't think so. Symphony of the Night and its derivatives, on the other hand, feature many RPG elements, and nobody seems to classify them as action games (because they're not).

Bloodborne is as RPG as it gets. The developers themselves call every one of the Souls games RPGs because they so obviously are. There's no debating it.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Ruldra wrote:
Leandro wrote:
Ruldra wrote:Realized that maybe I shouldn't have spent so much time playing videogames. Not too happy with where I am in life right now and a big part of it is that I didn't care much about anything other than games.
I suffer from this too, but what aspect of your life you are not happy with? Professional or love life?
Professional. I graduated in a field I have zero interest in, only because it was safe - the pay is good and there are many job opportunities, at least that was true 20 years ago. Now there are only a handful of open positions and thousands of people are fighting for them. Only the very best take the jobs and I can't compete with them. The current crisis only made things worse.

Maybe I should've studied harder or graduated in a field that I can be passionate about, but I was too focused on videogames to care about that. Now I'm paying the price.
That is a tough one my friend. It is very hard to predict where the job market is going to be at in the future. Don't kick yourself for not being passionate about your career field though.....if everyone had a passion for what we did for a living, many of us would be walking around with PHD's in titties n beer. :mrgreen:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

lol kev!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

iconoclast wrote:player-character leveling with fully adjustable stats, enemies that give you experience when killed, lots of upgradeable and customizable weapons and armor to find
None of which actually influence the gameplay itself and thus don't influence whatever "genre" you wanna lump it into. Sure, you can argue for and against it being an RPG, if you somehow think of stats (which EVERY game has nowadays) as the definition of an RPG, but you definitely can't argue against it being an action game, just like there's no sane way anyone can argue that SOTN isn't an action game.
enemies with predefined levels and stats that the player can easily surpass and trivialize through grinding
Which is exactly what doesn't happen in Bloodborne or the other Souls games. I guess theoretically you CAN trivialize SOME bosses if you have a crazy amount of patience with the grinding, but realistically you do need a bunch of skill to pass most bosses or even common enemies in these games, no matter your stats.
Bloodborne is as RPG as it gets
I can think of a ton of games that are a lot more "RPG", but if you can't imagine it getting any more "RPG" than what Bloodborne offers, I don't think there's any point in even taking that any further.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Sumez wrote:
iconoclast wrote:player-character leveling with fully adjustable stats, enemies that give you experience when killed, lots of upgradeable and customizable weapons and armor to find
None of which actually influence the gameplay itself and thus don't influence whatever "genre" you wanna lump it into.
Stats that directly affect, and give you full control over the balance of the game don't influence the gameplay?
you definitely can't argue against it being an action game, just like there's no sane way anyone can argue that SOTN isn't an action game.
Action-RPG is a (sub) genre that all of the games I mentioned are a part of. The "RPG" part entirely separates them from pure action games. SotN is a platform/adventure/ARPG.
Sumez wrote:
iconoclast wrote:enemies with predefined levels and stats that the player can easily surpass and trivialize through grinding
Which is exactly what doesn't happen in Bloodborne or the other Souls games.
Yes it does. Grinding levels lets you increase your HP and damage output (among other things), and you can grind for upgrade materials to further increase your offense and defense. Just like any other RPG.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

The reason I asked if Demon's Souls was actually considered a JRPG was because Skykid said that I was "playing the [Japanese] RPGs".
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

iconoclast wrote:enemies with predefined levels and stats that the player can easily surpass and trivialize through grinding
I don't think it's even possible to actually grind your way through souls

In the first dks you can get broken gear early on, but only if you know what you're actually doing or using a guide and getting an extra level or two changes very little while getting an extra 10 or 20 takes forever and still doesn't change enough to make you overpowered