RQ: How does one dodge on Phase 4 for Chaos Field Extend?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
RegulustheShade

RQ: How does one dodge on Phase 4 for Chaos Field Extend?

Post by RegulustheShade »

My apologies for posting this in the wrong section before. When it said shmups I had assumed the forum itself in general as a gaming central, but not about this shmps that I do not know about. So I deleted this topic and remade it here.

Anyway, I am requesting help on this game because quite frankly I am not an Arcade Jockey. I mean, I've had my share of Galaca and what not, but I was never one to go to the arcade often, only once in a while.

Anyway, I can't pass Phase 4 no matter what I do. Whenever I make it there, I have probably 3 to 4 continues at the most. What am I doing wrong?? Am I dodging wrong?? How do you dodge in between these tight spaces between all of these thousands of lasers. And what character is best in which levels or phases??

I just get the feeling I am doing something wrong. Or do I seriously have to be an uber dodging maniac to win? Becuz this is in easy mode with all 5 shields.

Oh and if your wondering, I never really have played this game until yesturday, let alone heard of it. I just picked it up at Gamestop while browsing yesturday. I got the last copy for the GCN.

So, can anyone help me possibly?? Strategies anyone?
I am the black breath, I am the shadow, I am Regulus.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Linked your thread to Strategy section with an RQ. Hopefully a player can help you out there.

p.s. Please read Forum Rules about signature images.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
RegulustheShade

I deleted the signiture. resizing it would make it nearly invisible and no one would really even know what it was.
it290

Post by it290 »

I haven't actually played Chaos Field, so I can't give you any specifics, but as you seem to be new to modern shooters, I can tell you that you should try to figure out where the ship's hitbox is. The hitbox is the area of the ship where colliding with a bullet will cause your death, and in almost all modern games this area is much smaller than the actual ship itself. In addition, in many games the hitboxes for the bullets themselves are smaller than the bullet graphic - often there is a halo or glow around the outer part of the bullet that is safe to touch as well. Play around with the game a bit and try to squeeze between some of those tight bullet patterns -- don't just try to dodge towards the 'safest' area on screen. If you need a better explanation or want to see what I mean, I would recommend trying the free PC game rRootage, which you can find here:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/rr_e.html

In this game the hitboxes for the player and the bullets are clearly visible, so you can easily get a feel for dodging inbetween tight bullet spreads.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

The hitbox in Chaos Field is easily recognized. It normally ends up being a small square located directly behind the cockpit that is intentionally coloured differently from the rest of the ship... it also exists on a plain higher than the bullets (the rest of the ship is below this plain).
RegulustheShade

I knew there had to be something to do with the cockpit! I tested this out myself, but wasn't sure, thanks for clarifying this with me everyone. Becuz it just seemed utterly impossible. But now that I know about this hitbox, things will be alot smoother. Thanks for the help.

I guess I'm not bad at this game, I just didn't know about this element in the game.