Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom also shout out to Aggelos

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom also shout out to Aggelos

Post by Shelcoof »

Was browsing around in the forums and realized there were no dedicated threads to this upcoming game. Really surprised seeing how I know Shmups11 have a lot of old school gamers like myself on here.

Got done watching the trailer the other night and wow was I blown away at how gorgeous the game looked and played.

For all you Wonder Boy Fans this game is a dream come true. I grew up playing Wonder Boy on my Master System and I absolutely am stocked that they are coming out with a new entry to the series.

Wonder Boy III and Wonder Boy in Monster World are in my opinion Best Metroidvania games ever.

I hope you guys are just as excited :D

http://monsterboy.com/blog/

New Trailer if you haven't already seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjg1s6A6VJ8

Update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ6DYSf5VNE

Update 2:
16 minute footage of the game

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6FAMCBc8c

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzTZyWEMeL8

A little late on the E3 news but here's a new trailer

https://youtu.be/_oqeAFs2wc8

Looks like they revamped the animation. Game looking real good :D

Update:

Shout out to Aggelos available on Steam and soon Switch

https://youtu.be/WMVSb4N5lDc

https://youtu.be/JCKiV7vS9qc

Played this not to long ago and I just fell in love with the game. It is truly a throw back to your good old Wonder Boy game. Not only that but it was innovative and improved on so many elements that made Wonder Boy such a great game.

I recommend Wonder Boy Fans check it out!
Last edited by Shelcoof on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
Rob

Re: Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom

Post by Rob »

I've enjoyed Monster Land, Dragon's Trap, and Monster World 3 & 4, but I don't know about this thing. The new art style offends my palate.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Rob wrote:The new art style offends my palate.
I can't decide if I'm more offended by the art style or the music.

I think it's the music, by a hair.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wow what don't you like about the art style?

The characters? Animation? Overly colorful? Too Cute?

I really love how lively everything looks. The colors the cuteness the animation really appeals to me.
Its what I would imagine a Modern Wonder Boy to look like.

I am a bit worried though. I'm hoping you could play the majority of the game in human form more like Wonder Boy In Monster World. Loved Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap a lot but I really wanted to play as Human a bit longer than a few minutes. That said I still hold Wonder Boy III to be my favorite.
Last edited by Shelcoof on Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Skykid wrote:
Rob wrote:The new art style offends my palate.
I can't decide if I'm more offended by the art style or the music.

I think it's the music, by a hair.
I'm not too bothered by the J-Pop music. I'm hoping that one track there is the end of it in the trailer though lol.

Crosses fingers on older tunes being remixed for this title plus additional new ones.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

What a positive surprise that trailer was. And it's coming out on Steam too. Nice.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I can't say I care much about the FMV sequences, but what can be glimpsed of the gameplay looks promising. I love the Monster World series, MW4 being a personal favourite. The developers seem to have captured the spirit of the originals in at least the environments. Not so sure about the characters, though.
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Shelcoof wrote:Wow what don't you like about the art style?
Looks like a flash game.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

There's a bit of a "Flash" look to it, but I like the overall art style. Actually, I think it's art is much better than Mighty No. 9's.
It doesn't quite hit the "2D, but not flash" look, of something like Half Genie Hero, though. Or the Rayman games.

The song is...well, it's J Pop. But it's kind of saying "this is going to be Japanese as fuck". So, that's good.
KAI

Post by KAI »

All OST Talents revealed
BIG THANKS TO: Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba, Michiru Yamane, Keiki Kobayashi, Takeshi Yanagawa and Haruka Shimotsuki!
game musicfag hype!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

evil_ash_xero wrote:There's a bit of a "Flash" look to it, but I like the overall art style. Actually, I think it's art is much better than Mighty No. 9's.
It doesn't quite hit the "2D, but not flash" look, of something like Half Genie Hero, though. Or the Rayman games.

The song is...well, it's J Pop. But it's kind of saying "this is going to be Japanese as fuck". So, that's good.
I thought the 2D in this one is really well done. Can't really see it looking any better to be honest.

But yhaa this game looks super Japanese which is a plus for me :D
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Yeah I don't like the graphics either. The colors seem off, the characters themselves could be rendered better and there's some sort of bloom filter that gives the game a cheap look.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Jonathan Ingram wrote:Looks like a flash game.
That's what's keeping me from feeling interested. GunLord is more appealing to me, as a point of comparison.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

That game looks mediocre at best. That was some of the most obnoxious music I've ever heard (first one was trying WAY TOO HARD to be Japanese, and the second one was trying too hard to be "epic"), the graphics look like a flash game, and most importantly: the gameplay doesn't even look that exciting.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

You got Wonder Boy in Monster World, but we got the "Turma da Monica na Terra dos Monstros" lozalization.
Spoiler
I don't know if any of you know that weird girl in a red dress, but shes popular around here.

The Wonder Boy series reminds me of Popful Mail.
About the new game, I have to say that i share the dislike for the art style, but could get used to it.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

lol did not know that was even a girl hahaha
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

atheistgod1999 wrote:trying WAY TOO HARD
Mhm.

The art style doesn't capture the box cover art of "the era" 100% but I can see what it is trying to do and I can appreciate it. Hopefully there will be a Mac version on Steam.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I like the art and the game looks fun. Didn't have sound because I watched the video at work.

Glad this seems to be a legit game rather than those fan-sequels and fan-remakes that all get pulled down by lawsuits.
neontropics

Post by neontropics »

Which is the easiest Wonder Boy to get into? I started Wonder Boy III for Master System a few times but I dunno, I just kinda got lost or had to backtrack for the 4th time and stopped playing always. I guess I should just push through, it did seem very charming and the gameplay was fun.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Update: 16 minute of a guy playing the demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6FAMCBc8c

for those who playd Wonderboy III you'll notice the tunes right away! :D

As for the easiest Wonderboy to get into? Hard to to say honestly.

Easiest pick up and play is Wonderboy. That game is more like a side scroller though. Was released in arcades.. its pretty much Adventure Island only the original version. That said though your missing out on the MetroidVania style game play.

Wonderboy In Monster Land is more like The Legend of Zelda II only a lot more enjoyable.

Wonderboy III Dragon's Trap is a very hard game but really really enjoyable.

Wonderboy In Monster World for the Genesis/MegaDrive isn't as hard and actually is fairly balanced in terms of difficulty.

Wonderboy with the Girl I haven't played much of it though. Sort of got bored early on as it just had a very different feel to the game.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Shelcoof wrote:Wonderboy In Monster World for the Genesis/MegaDrive isn't as hard and actually is fairly balanced in terms of difficulty.
Up until the very end, the final boss is like a brick wall compared to the rest of the game LOL. This is the only game in the series I have played, but I found it to be very enjoyable. I like Zelda II quite a bit so I might check out Monster Land based on your description.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

lol your right the last castle? Its been years since I played it so I forget but all I remember doing is riding on a mine cart or something and battling that extremely difficult boss.

I too was shocked at how hard the boss was.

But man that last final stage made the game feel epic and satisfying when you beat it :)

Monster Land was also in arcades... I really enjoyed it. No backtracking or anything just continue to go right lol

My top picks would be Wondeboy III Dragon's Trap and Wonderboy in Monster World those are my two favorites!
They sort of compliment each other in a way because Dragon's Trap you play different monsters you morph into and in Monster World you remain Human for the most part. Two different games that you need to experience
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

The last castle wasn't so bad, it's what happens right after that
Spoiler
the alien that turns out to be behind everything that you have to fight
It was a truly epic ending, but the game does nothing to prepare you for that battle.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Shoryukev wrote:The last castle wasn't so bad, it's what happens right after that
Spoiler
the alien that turns out to be behind everything that you have to fight
It was a truly epic ending, but the game does nothing to prepare you for that battle.
True the game is so cute and charming its almost deceiving how difficult the boss was. That little plot twist at the end was surprising for sure. It almost like that last section didn't fit in or belong you know
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Part of the reason that boss in Wonder Boy in Monster World US/EU is so hard is because the difficulty for it was altered for the US. I have played through the Dynastic Hero version of the game and that version of the boss (based on the original JP difficulty) wasn't too hard to beat. I should go back to the M2 collection on 360 and play through the US version of Wonder Boy in Monster World.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Shelcoof wrote:Wow what don't you like about the art style?

The characters? Animation? Overly colorful? Too Cute?
I personally don't like that kind of "phone-game" look it has, personally. The way the game is drawn reminds me way too much of the various free-to-play crap I see for phones, which tarnishes this by association.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

BrianC wrote:Part of the reason that boss in Wonder Boy in Monster World US/EU is so hard is because the difficulty for it was altered for the US. I have played through the Dynastic Hero version of the game and that version of the boss (based on the original JP difficulty) wasn't too hard to beat. I should go back to the M2 collection on 360 and play through the US version of Wonder Boy in Monster World.
That probably explains why the last section's difficulty didn't really fit in. Any idea why they did this?
I guess I'm not surprised considering other games difficulties had their difficulties altered as well.

null1024 wrote: I personally don't like that kind of "phone-game" look it has, personally. The way the game is drawn reminds me way too much of the various free-to-play crap I see for phones, which tarnishes this by association.
Did you like the previous art design for Wonderboy in Monster World? Monster World has a very cute and colorful style and the modern art style used for Cursed Kingdom really suits it very well.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Shelcoof wrote:
BrianC wrote:Part of the reason that boss in Wonder Boy in Monster World US/EU is so hard is because the difficulty for it was altered for the US. I have played through the Dynastic Hero version of the game and that version of the boss (based on the original JP difficulty) wasn't too hard to beat. I should go back to the M2 collection on 360 and play through the US version of Wonder Boy in Monster World.
That probably explains why the last section's difficulty didn't really fit in. Any idea why they did this?
I guess I'm not surprised considering other games difficulties had their difficulties altered as well.
I'm not sure, maybe the developers thought the final boss was too easy? The M2 collection does have the JP version of Wonder Boy V, but there is no option to play it in English.
GSK

Post by GSK »

atheistgod1999 wrote:That game looks mediocre at best. That was some of the most obnoxious music I've ever heard (first one was trying WAY TOO HARD to be Japanese
All the composers/performers are Japanese and they got some big names including Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba and Michiru Yamane.