Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Pasky

Re: Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Post by Pasky »

There's a thread for nintendo's new emu box, should start using that now rather than cluttering this one.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Pre-oders sale page is live, has been all day and looks to be holding up no problems so far.
https://www.game-tech.us/product/hi-def-nes/
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

How are the pre-sale numbers looking?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Has anyone who has one of these been able to check out if Interpolation works? I saw an old review vid, from November, that said they couldn't get it to work.
I was wondering if maybe it had been fixed.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Has anyone who has one of these been able to check out if Interpolation works? I saw an old review vid, from November, that said they couldn't get it to work.
Fixed with 2.25 firmware.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

game-tech.us wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Has anyone who has one of these been able to check out if Interpolation works? I saw an old review vid, from November, that said they couldn't get it to work.
Fixed with 2.25 firmware.

Good to know.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

No screenshots or reviews from new owners yet? What gives, is this thing for real?
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Josh128 wrote:No screenshots or reviews from new owners yet? What gives, is this thing for real?
I can't tell if you're kidding or not: http://www.retrorgb.com/hidefnes.html
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I've seen dozens of people posting photos on twitter, and MLiG did a review of it ages ago...
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

No pictures on this thread, no reviews. I just find that a little strange, this is a thread dedicated to it no?
leonk

Post by leonk »

Josh128 wrote:No pictures on this thread, no reviews. I just find that a little strange, this is a thread dedicated to it no?
The definitive NESRGB thread is here, but for Hi Def NES you'll need to go to Nintendoage.
zakruowrath

Post by zakruowrath »

Josh128 wrote:No pictures on this thread, no reviews. I just find that a little strange, this is a thread dedicated to it no?
Probably because everyone who has one is playing it no time for reviewing :P

Jason has been posting on his Twitter retweets of people tweeting about their Hi-Def NES, pretty cool to see: https://twitter.com/GameTechUS

Ask for a review on YouTube LORD KAYOSS posted a review of his unit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTHFT_Xk0o And as Guspaz said My Life In Gaming did a review of it back in late 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI60A3DpI6w
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

The lack of end-user problems (installation/usage) and availability are also reasons why there aren't that many posts! Same goes for the UltraHDMI (N64).
leonk

Post by leonk »

RGB32E wrote:The lack of end-user problems (installation/usage) and availability are also reasons why there aren't that many posts! Same goes for the UltraHDMI (N64).
I wish this was true. The truth is low supply and tight control on recommended installers has remmedied a lot of issues learned from the NESRGB.

But in terms of profitability, only Tim and Kevin know which is better. :)
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Does anyone know if 3x scaling can give even scanlines on a 768 set, like the F4500 plasma? It would leave small black strips on top and bottom of screen like Kega Fusion, but that would be very cool.

These are the types of questions you get answered when lots of end users start chiming in!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Josh128 wrote:No screenshots or reviews from new owners yet? What gives, is this thing for real?
Yeah, I find it depressing that this thread seems to have less action than the mini NES HD thread. I want to see more screenshots. I've seen the reviews and whatnot, but I still would like to see more.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Yeah, I find it depressing that this thread seems to have less action than the mini NES HD thread. I want to see more screenshots. I've seen the reviews and whatnot, but I still would like to see more.
What specifically did you want to see? How about this for starters. :P

Josh128 wrote:Does anyone know if 3x scaling can give even scanlines on a 768 set, like the F4500 plasma? It would leave small black strips on top and bottom of screen like Kega Fusion, but that would be very cool.

These are the types of questions you get answered when lots of end users start chiming in!
The HDN has 3 output modes - 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080. What resolution were you outputting from a PC to your F4500 for your Kega Fusion example?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I am error.
:wink:

I would just like to see more activity on this thread. These are exciting times, with these new HDMI'd consoles coming out of the woodwork.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

RGB32E wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:
What specifically did you want to see? How about this for starters. :P
Thats what Im talkin bout. :mrgreen:

RGB32E wrote:
Josh128 wrote:Does anyone know if 3x scaling can give even scanlines on a 768 set, like the F4500 plasma? It would leave small black strips on top and bottom of screen like Kega Fusion, but that would be very cool.

The HDN has 3 output modes - 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080. What resolution were you outputting from a PC to your F4500 for your Kega Fusion example?
OK. I believe I was using 3X on 1024x768 res on Kega Fusion. So yeah it probably wouldnt work. :|
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Josh128 wrote:
RGB32E wrote:

OK. I believe I was using 3X on 1024x768 res on Kega Fusion. So yeah it probably wouldnt work. :|
If 1024x768 output is important to you, you can always post a feature request via forum thread - http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12019, or via PM on nesdev, or try to catch Kevtris on IRC.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I see it's possible to pre-order the kit now again. yay. gonna place a pre-order once I'm back home.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Does anybody have more information on the Everdrive N8 and the Hi-Def NES mod? I see that some people are reporting that it works but over at the krikzz.com forums it sounds like everybody is having an issue but I'm hoping it's related to the Analog NT and not the Hi-Def NES mod itself.

Has anybody used the Everdrive N8 and the Hi-Def NES for several hours/days without any problems?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

sofakng wrote:Does anybody have more information on the Everdrive N8 and the Hi-Def NES mod? I see that some people are reporting that it works but over at the krikzz.com forums it sounds like everybody is having an issue but I'm hoping it's related to the Analog NT and not the Hi-Def NES mod itself.

Has anybody used the Everdrive N8 and the Hi-Def NES for several hours/days without any problems?
It works. With a real Everdrive and a real NES with the Hi-DefNES mod, you're good.

Two scenerios for issues:

1. Clone Everdrive. Buy a real one.
2. Using Analogue NT.

The problems are coming from clone devices.
We apologise for the inconvenience
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Thanks for the information!
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

orange808 wrote: It works. With a real Everdrive and a real NES with the Hi-DefNES mod, you're good.
Analogue NT is a real NES. Uses original CPU and PPU chips.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BazookaBen wrote:
orange808 wrote: It works. With a real Everdrive and a real NES with the Hi-DefNES mod, you're good.
Pop yours open and look at the motherboard. That ain't no NES.

Another example: The Radica isn't a Genesis. It has some real Genesis chips, but it's no Genesis.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

orange808 wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:
Pop yours open and look at the motherboard. That ain't no NES.

Another example: The Radica isn't a Genesis. It has some real Genesis chips, but it's no Genesis.
Using real PPUs and CPUs is real hardware, as are the controller sockets, card edge connectors and Fami expansion port. So yes, it's real hardware.

It's as much of a real NES as the Top Loader, The Famicom, The AV Famicom, the Famicom Tilter or Low Budget's Super 8-Bit.
Just because inconsequential components and board design that aren't necessary to be 100% the same to function. Doesn't mean it's not real hardware.

The Radica on the other hand is more like a typical GOAC (Genesis on a Chip) clone console like NOACs than real hardware with many issues and inaccuracies. Unlike the NT which, using the PPU/CPUs from old Famicoms will not have. It functions exactly the same as any "real" NES.

Saying the NT isn't real hardware would be like saying further revisions of any console that uses any kind of hardware consolidation isn't the real deal.
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

Anyone know if possible install the hi def NES and replace the RF module with a AV mod (P3 conector)?
leonk

Post by leonk »

Ripthorn wrote:Anyone know if possible install the hi def NES and replace the RF module with a AV mod (P3 conector)?
I assume you mean in top loader? It should be technically possible. But why would you? :)
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Ripthorn wrote:Anyone know if possible install the hi def NES and replace the RF module with a AV mod (P3 conector)?
Sure can, but you might see the jailbars again because you can't lift pin 21, you'll have to pull composite from the base pin of the old composite transistor.