Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Sony W6 series LCD review - 2013's best gaming TV

Post by bobrocks95 »

eric90000 wrote:The PS2 can actually output 480p via SCART using sync on green. Apparently it's a cleaner signal than the component, which as you say can be a noisy signal on the PS2. Check out this vid by Bob over at retroRGB: https://youtu.be/6pzTfdUcAfg?t=6m41s

To be truthful, I don't have the NES RGB modded yet, although I'm OK at modding consoles (so far I've done Sega MegaDrive 50/60hz & JAP/ENG switches, PS1 modchip to region unlock and play burned games and also softmodded an Xbox original and upgraded the stock fan). I've been toying with the idea of ordering one pre-modded, although I may just buy the kit and do it myself.

The price of the HDMI mods are a little bit off-putting, for the moment RGB should be fine for my setup. although HDMI it's certainly something to look into.
Ah, good to know. I'm about ready to switch my PS2 over to my CRT since I'm tired of poor 480p compatibility, so I may go with a SCART cable as well. No CSync support on the PS2 either right?

The HDMI board for the Gamecube mod is $60, I don't think that's all that expensive if you can install it yourself. Cheaper and easier to install mods are coming soon (supposedly at least, it's been like 8+ months at this point...)
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
eric90000

Post by eric90000 »

Oh really, I was judging my prices off the N64 HDMI which seemed pretty high, I'll definitely look into the GameCube one. I don't think the PS2 has Csync... I know for sure the PS1 doesn't so I think they're both Luma. I bought a XenoGC chip for the GameCube which allows for multi-region use and also burned disks (I live in Ireland so unfortunately sub-par PAL is the norm here....most of my consoles require mods to allow them to play American NTSC games).

Out of curiosity, what are the "Cheaper and easier to install mods" that you speak of? :mrgreen:
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Badassconsoles announced one back in January, and a user named meneerbeer is supposed to have one coming out with videogameperfection distributing that was announced around 2 months ago (and meneerbeer debuted the design almost a year ago...).

So I really have no clue what's going on with those, but you can get the Pluto-IIx HDMI board now and install it any time you like.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Badassconsoles announced one back in January, and a user named meneerbeer is supposed to have one coming out with videogameperfection distributing that was announced around 2 months ago (and meneerbeer debuted the design almost a year ago...).

So I really have no clue what's going on with those, but you can get the Pluto-IIx HDMI board now and install it any time you like.
We've actually got some prototypes in at the moment but we're working out some issues with the HDMI connector, don't want to send out any substandard ones to customers. We're close though, should be able to work through our waiting list soon.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Heh, it's sort of a speak of the devil kind of thing, I just saw the update on your Facebook this morning! Hope it's worked out soon, it really has been quite a long time coming by now.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

This pleases me greatly!!!!

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/20/sony-z-series/

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televis ... z9d-series

Hope it's gaming friendly and has full color bandwidth upscaling!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

$7K for 4K isn't so good though. It's also Android based, does anybody know how input lag is performing on recent Android-based sets?
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Yeah, but the price will drop from initial MSRP. The current UHD Android Sony's are around ~35ms (Leo Bodnar), but this model has a fancier processor, so it might be lower. I'll be sure to test once they're out.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but this model has a fancier processor, so it might be lower
or higher :mrgreen:

10 grand is tough. I was seriously considering the current 940D 74" model which is 7k (EUR) already. At 10k US$, the Z 75" might be 11k EUR over here. That's insane.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Fudoh wrote:
but this model has a fancier processor, so it might be lower
or higher :mrgreen:
That crossed my mind. Just being optimistic! :mrgreen:
Fudoh wrote:10 grand is tough. I was seriously considering the current 940D 74" model which is 7k (EUR) already. At 10k US$, the Z 75" might be 11k EUR over here. That's insane.
The pricing on my current flagship Sony was pretty insane too, but I managed to get it for half the initial MSRP ($7000 -> $3500, still insane for a 2008/2009 1080p WCG FALD). :P
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The Z 75" is 8000 EUR over here. Unfortunately it's very hard to get any deals on the high-end sets over here and certainly not for the first half year after its release. On the other hand: 8000 is just 1000 EUR more than the current 940D set, so not this bad of a deal breaker.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Anyone here got the SONY KDL-42W653A?.

I have noticed another dead pixel (well seems to be a cluster of 2 or 3) yesterday, im 99.9% sure it wasnt there a few months back, so now i have 2 areas on my screen where there is a small cluster of pixels that are just black!. has anyone else had any experience with pixels dying i always thought they just came like that from the factory and that was it ive never had pixesl die on me over time especially only over the space of 2 years. The only other thing it could be is specs of dirt getting inbetween the front glass and the actual panel but not sure how that would be possible!?
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w630b

Why oh, why couldn't the 650 be this good? 60 inches is too big!
kdesktop

Post by kdesktop »

BONKERS wrote:http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/w630b

Why oh, why couldn't the 650 be this good? 60 inches is too big!
I want a TV like this W630b, with very little motion blur. Too bad not sell here in Brazil... 40" is perfect. Most popular model here is 40R355b :(
okerlo

Post by okerlo »

Hey there,
just a quick question about the 2014 Sony models. Fudoh wrote that, if you're also looking for a good Television for watching movies you shoould look for the W8-series. Now I'm reading that the KDL-42W805B is shipping with 200hz while the bigger models are shipped with Motionflow XR 400Hz. The 42W705B also comes with 200hz so I wouldn't really benefit if I choosed the 42W805B over the 42W705B, right?

Problem is: 50 inches or even bigger is way too much for my small room. I would probably go with a 42 model or even 32. I'm playing a lot but also watch a lot of movies (DVDs, Blurays). Is watching movies on the 42W705B just simply a bad idea or could I live with it when I'm on a budget with not a lot of room to spare?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

If you read my posts about the 2014 W8 models (somewhere in this thread) you'll see the 42" versions are not the asme as the 50" and 55".

The 42" lack full MotionFlow settings (the ones that matter for watching movies and sports), and the passive 3D layer can sometimes produce a 'scanlined' screendoor effect even when you're not using any 3D.

You're better off with a 42" W7 if you can find one (good luck), though it lacks the MotionFlow options too.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Yamato

Post by Yamato »

Hey there, just a short question:

A friend of mine wants to buy a secondary LCD TV for 100% gaming in addition to his main TV for watching movies.
Is the Sony W705B still the way to go if you want the lowest possible input lag?
Are the 32W705B and 42W705B models identical in terms of input lag and picture quality? He would rather prefer the 32 inch model for his game room.

Thank you! :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The 32W705C (2015 model) is supposed to be fast.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yes, there was only that Polish language review saying it measured 13ms (link somewhere in the thread) but we don't know the measurement method they've used.

(2013) KDL-32W650B 32ms - KDL-42W650B 14ms
(2014) KDL-32W705B 14ms - KDL-42W705B 13ms
(2015) KDL-32W705C 13ms - KDL-42W705C 35ms

^ This is what I remember, although we're speaking about inflated Leo Bodnar measurements, and some figures haven't been confirmed or double-checked, especially the 2015 models then.

Picture quality: roughly the same on all models (quite good).

Some 2016 models could be interesting as well, the 'WD75' series, but zero reviews around, can't guess.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

Does the TV have any effect on how long it takes to do the Framemeister's HDMI handshake on resolution switch? I'm thinking of getting one of these TVs and I'm wondering if I should be picking it partly based on reducing that time.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Might have. For the new HD Fury integral there's a FW upgrade available which doesn't report ANY changes in the source, so the TV shouldn't even start a new handshake negotiation. I might be able to try that at some point.
Ms. Tea

Post by Ms. Tea »

I'd be very curious to hear the results!!

I guess people haven't really been testing the HDMI handshake speeds, which makes sense.
matrigs

Post by matrigs »

Xyga wrote: Some 2016 models could be interesting as well, the 'WD75' series, but zero reviews around, can't guess.
I would be very interested as well.

One thing that I realised is that Sony kind of "shifted" their numbering of the TV's which I find will trick at least a few consumers.

The WD755 has basically the same features as the WD655 TV's, the same number of inputs and Motionflow XR 200. The W755C (which costs pretty much the same right now in Poland but is already getting pretty hard to get) has XR 800 and double the inputs.

On a sidenote, I want to upgrade my TV and i definitely want a Sony set, but there is a plethora of models in a similar price range availlable:

Sony KDL-43W755C - 507 euro
Sony KDL-43WD750 - 507 euro
Sony KDL-43W809C - 553 euro
Sony KDL-48W705C - 556 euro
Sony KDL-48WD655 - 567 euro
Sony KD-49X8005C - 576 euro

Besides the obvious size difference, is there any model from these that is more recommended (or not recommended) than the rest?

For example, would I benefit more from the smaller W8 in terms of lag and picture quality above the larger W7?

Also, that X800 is weirdly cheap. I just found one review which said is pretty average.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

One of the X (4K) models is IPS instead of VA. I think it was the X7 series. Maybe they did the same to the W (Full HD) models this year ? If you you might want to pay attention to that. IPS means slightly better gaming performance but considerably worse black levels at night.
proxxxy

Post by proxxxy »

After reading through most of this thread's pages I probably need some advice. I plan buying a new TV and decided to get a Sony KDL one. Until now I was playing most of the time on my small Sony Trinitron CRT and on an old LCD TV (32", LG) via Framemeister.

I finally decided that my next TV shall be around 48-52" by Sony but I'm very unsure which one I should pick up. I play 16 bit most of the time as well as xbox 360 (for shmups ofc :D). I tried to discriminate the important specs between different Sony Bravia models but it is very hard to determine which one is worth its money more.

I don't plan on spending a ton of money either so I'm thinking of around 500-600€ which should be realistic?!
So far I took closer looks on KDL 48W705C and 49WD755 but cant find whether the newer models are better suited for gaming or worse.

Help of any kind is appreciated : )
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

So... I found a used KDL-42W700B here and I'm super interested in picking it up, but...
my web searches tell me it's an Indian model (!)

And therefore is classified as 100Hz.

Can a 50Hz(well, 100 in this case) modern TV work flawlessly here in North America? The manual says that it accepts 1080p60...
But I don't wanna end up with a non-working TV, so I just wanna make sure I'm good to go.

I know that 50Hz CRTs are a no-go here, but I just wanna check if modern HDTVs obey to the same rules.
Our electric current runs at a 60Hz cycle over here, right? So will that prevent a modern HDTV to run here?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Don't mind the panel 'Hz ratings' those mean jack shit here.

http://www.sony.co.in/support/product/KDL-42W700B

It should handle every signal PAL or NTSC normally, not sure about the power adapter's specs for your needs but at least you've got all details in case you need to source a different one.
The other thing I don't know is about the tv tuner, I have no idea what your local standard is and if this one will be compatible or not (but are you really going to watch shows on this thing?)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks Xyga!

Damn I hadn't thought about the TV tuner at all! But : this won't be an issue. The cable provider here includes a decoder with component/HDMI out, and that's what's connected to the TV.

Well, an OTA antenna still needs to be connected to the RF socket...
But I don't think I'll be using that though

EDIT : digital OTA broadcasts over here use the ATSC standard, so I guess that won't be supported
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

I noticed rtings has updated their input lag tests with 1080p 4:4:4 and 4k.

Its interesting to see that some Sony tv's actually have more input lag on native 4k input than 1080p. Most Samsung tv's have more input lag with 1080p 4:4:4 compared to 1080p where the Sony tv's have no difference.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

paulb_nl wrote:I noticed rtings has updated their input lag tests with 1080p 4:4:4 and 4k.

Its interesting to see that some Sony tv's actually have more input lag on native 4k input than 1080p. Most Samsung tv's have more input lag with 1080p 4:4:4 compared to 1080p where the Sony tv's have no difference.
As a footnote, rtings.com uses the HDFury Linker to scale to 4k. The results for my panel prove my estimate of 2ms (for the Linker scaling 1080p to 4k) were high. It looks like it probably less than 1/10ms. (That snail is fast!)

And, the 4k results confirm rumors that have been swirling for a while. Many 4k displays are slower at native resolution--versus 1080p.

So much for conventional wisdom...
We apologise for the inconvenience