GD: Tiger Heli

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Neon

GD: Tiger Heli

Post by Neon »

My roommates have fond memories of this from their childhoods. I found a copy in a pawnshop this weekend so I'm going to bring the NES back to school and hopefully get a high score comp. going.

I know about the 10k points red building in the first level, any other tips? What about the little pyramid things and their size? The little crosses seem to be powerups.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Stage 1 bonuses:
Count 16 shots from the beginning of the game until the first railroad crossing. In the arcade/PSX versions, this will be one shot per target including the railroad crossing guards. In the NES version, you'll need to hit each target and waste 3 shots by here.

The red barrel on the roof of the right-hand building will give 10 points per shot, 10,000 points when it flips over. This takes about 35 shots on the NES version, around 50 on the arcade version.

The upper-right airplane on the aircraft carrier will give 5,000 points when destroyed while taking off.

Occaisionally a buggy can be triggered driving in the shallow water at the beach, but I can't be bothered to count shots past the 10,000 pt barrel.

Extends:
at 20,000; then every 80,000
Shooting 10 of the golden pyramids will give an extra ship.

Power-ups:
For the NES version:
red cross - side shot mini heli
grey cross - forward shot mini heli
green cross - bomb

For the arcade version:
red cross - side shot mini heli
white cross - forward shot mini heli
blue cross - bomb

Tips?
The NES version only allows enemies to aim in 45 degree increments. Exploit this. Also, during the double-midboss part of the third stage and early forth stage, you can't get past the leftmost or rightmost turrets by squeezing to the edges of the screen :)
Neon

Post by Neon »

Great, thanks. Think there's a 10k bonus if you collect 'little heli' in excess of 2 though I didn't look at the score at the exact moment. I get too 'in the zone' and just forget...argh. I'll have to use an emulator+gameshark type thing and calculate it. Pyramid size point values I haven't looked at either, or whether they're worth less if collected after disappearing then reappearing.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

note: I only play the arcade version, so I'm not sure if everything is the same.

the little buggy/racecar that only appears after a certain number of shots (divisible by 16) in addition to keeping your ship within a certain area, can be triggered in multiple places throughout the game.

besides the beginning train tracks and beach, I've also seen them appear in the green fields (area 17-18?) and in the train tracks in later areas.

after each loop, I think the bonus racecars appear in the same spots.

if you have MAME, this site has a good replay that shows the various locations where you can trigger them (though the player has the ship set to "Fast" speed).

however, it does get difficult to keep track of all your shots as you progress through the stages.

other:
- collecting bombs when you already have 2 gives you 5000 pts. each
- you get bonus pts. for bringing your bombs and/or little helis onto the end of stage landing pads
- if an enemy shoots your bombs on the wings of your heli, they automatically detonate

my only advice is to be careful with/conserve your bombs, and note which areas they are most useful in.
because often you'll be dodging bullets that come from behind, and with the slow ship speed, they'll help you to survive the later stages.