Psyvariar REassemble announced

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gray117

Re: Psyvariar REassemble announced

Post by gray117 »

...they're probably off making dance videos instead of games... I really like psyvariar 2, this looks far more abstract :/
tate

Post by tate »

It's out, including on the US App Store. F2P. Frankly, I'm shocked, since SUCCESS wouldn't let its PVs run outside of Japan. No buzz on Twitter yet - probably because it's the middle of the night there.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Is there an Android port in the works yet?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Looks weird in HD I hope it plays alright. Either way I hope this leads to a PC port by some miracle.
qmish

Post by qmish »

>requires ios9

screw that, i m not updating from ios7 on my old ipad 3
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I don't know much about awag or how they are involved, but I do know one thing. They think latelally.
ciox

Post by ciox »

This looks like it's received significant updates since the last test version, you can control if you roll or not now, have better control over your shot and there's some weird feature that can magnetize bullets to make them easier to graze, might be tied to bombing, and I think there's a new scoring feature too where if you graze an enemy you get more points from shooting it down too since that was showed a lot in the PVs... Well I can't play it or I would tell you more.
BrianC wrote:I don't know much about awag or how they are involved, but I do know one thing. They think latelally.
From what I know it's the company of ore808, the main man behind the series.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Stamina regeneration seems to take an age unlike a lot of other F2P mobile games - it looks like one stamina point every 10/15mins and not one stamina point every 5min - so a lot of patience is required, or else you'll be burning through stamina regeneration items.

The game itself seems pretty faithful. It has a variant of the Neutrino system from Psyvariar 2, where Buzz Gauge generation appears to be tied to the colour of the bar, but I haven't seen a way to control it yet aside from changing ship type - upgrading the default Axion-101 to max made getting Buzz in Asteroid a lot easier, for example. Visually it looks like Psyvariar Revision. Controls-wise it's pretty standard mobile STG fare where you drag the ship around to fire, and the ship has variable movement speed, although I do like the idea of double-tap-dragging to roll without firing, which opens up some no-shooting routes in denser stages.

Still trying to work out what all the ship stats are and how they affect gameplay.

The music is awesome, by the way. However, if I don't hear a remix of Gluon in the later stages of the game, I'll be very disappointed. :V

Tutorial Stage PB while I mess around with the controls and wait for stamina regeneration: https://twitter.com/IcarusFW/status/751605452073492480

Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Please keep us updated with what you find out about this game!
SideshowN

Post by SideshowN »

I've been waiting for a new addition to this series for a long time. Come on PS4 port!
Knockworstface

Post by Knockworstface »

Plays great on an iPhone. Still trying to figure out how to play the game.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

Yeah, it runs buttery smooth on my girl's iphone 6. Looks good too and music is ace :D
Levels are supershort, so it's perfect for a quick go.
I noticed that double-tap-dragging seems to "cloak" the ship for a brief moment...Does this let one pass through bullets unharmed?
I like how they at least translated all the options in the menus. Guess they're perfectly aware of their gaijin fanbase :wink:
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Upon initial d/l on my mini iPad 2 with Retina Display setup running iOS version 9.3.2, Psyvariar REassemble takes an initial 79.0mb file size d/l. When starting it up for the 1st time, it proceeds with a update d/l that'll increase the overall file size to a respectable & modest 229mb. The overall main menu selection is presented in Japanese so it's bit of trial and error to see what your chosen menu selection item does (some English translated screenshots would be most helpful for our non-Japanese reading shmuppers, hmmm?).

There isn't any bluetooth iOS game controller support from the get-go (it'd would've been nice if that option was implemented but it's touch screen implementation to play the actual PsyRE game makes for an interesting & novel way to play it {compared to the original Taito G-Net arcade iterations of Psyvariar Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision with an 8-way digital joystick + 2 button control scheme setup}).

The overall arcade-spec 60 frames-per-second framerate is still unmistakably present in this iOS port of PsyRE and it's quite silky-smooth indeed (just like it's arcade counterpart big brothers making their grand debut back in the year 2000 -- March 2000 for Psy-MU & September 2000 for Psy-R respectively at the Japanese game centers).

Note: This iOS port of PsyRE does require access to the internet via wi-fi or 3G/4G cellular service (at all times) upon booting it up for the 1st time and subsequent times afterwards (otherwise an "Error" message pops up if wi-fi or 3G/4G service is turned off or not within range). Fulfill this necessary obligation and the loading screen/main title screen will be momentarily on it's way.

To get maximum audio pleasure/enjoyment of out PsyRE, a good pair of headphones is necessary/required -- will certainly get you in the mood for a serious PsyRE gaming session.

I like the sexy 'n' shapely gal with those cool holographic headphones in place as shown in the tutorial mode -- if you read the fine print on it, it says "Psyonic Motive Power" (whatever that means -- works just fine in the world/universe that is Psyvariar). If you look closer at the Medium Unit lettering and typeface on the male characters' uniform sleeves, it too, has undergone a new overall fresh look for this new iOS port of PsyRE (nice little touch/embellishment & attention to detail).

It's awesome to see another port of Psyvariar back in fine form for the venerable iOS platform these days (some 16 years later -- better later than never, right?).

(Edited)
After playing a bit more with this newfangled PsyRE port, if you select the Rank Match with any of the unlocked stages with an opponent, you & your rival will play that selected stage that you initially choose beforehand (while your rival is playing on a smaller screen in the upper right-hand corner of the screen -- all this in real-time). Upon losing the match (assuming if your opponent plays a better stage session than you do), your RR gauge will go down by 10% (keep losing during a "Rank Match" session and watch your RR gauge drop down another 10% easily -- which you really don't want to happen but it's this cool & novel feature that makes PsyRE a bit different this 3rd time around).

If you select the 2nd icon from the right-side at the bottom of the screen during the screen that says "World 1" & "Tutorial" and select "History of Attacks", (then select the opponent you dueled against previously and finally select "Watch" option) you'll be able to watch a split screen replay of yourself and your opponent going through the paces of the chosen stage side by side. How cool is that? This newfangled feature/functionality was never featured in either the Taito G-Net ports of Psy-MU, Psy-R nor the Sega Naomi port of Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate. This gives the iOS port of PsyRE a run for it's money (or yen for that matter) quite easily.

The "Rank Match" replays of you & your opponent are saved on your iOS device for posterity to watch and learn/digress from at a later time/date.

If you do win a "Rank Match", your RR gauge will go back 0% and your EP gauge will increase as well (this is something to try to aim for in the spirit of friendly competition, of course).

I can see the reasoning why this iOS port of PsyRE requires consistent access to the internet with the highly touted "Rank Match" feature/functionality implemented in this version 1.0.0. So be it.

------------------------
My personal best of a single Rank Match is as follows dated 2016.07.12 22:54:
Username: PCEngFanX! (Up to 12 characters max upon entering a new username during initial sign-up)
Fightercraft: Axion-101 (Upgraded to Stage 02)
Stage: Moon
Level Up: 22
Buzz: 401
Destruction: 41
Score: 931000

Note: Your score increases by 1 point for each death that occurs by your hand. So thus, it's your best bet to pull off a no-miss 1-life clear on a given Rank Match stage session for favorable scores.
------------------------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

What's the RR % for again?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

rjosal wrote:What's the RR % for again?
Increasing player rank, used to unlock later stages. Player rank is displayed in the top right corner of the screen in the status bar.
You have to play Ranked Mode and win to increase it. The experience you get is dependent on both your performance in the run, and the rank of your opponent.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

@PC Engine Fan X!

You sure the ranked matches are played out in real time?
I had the impression they're uploaded recordings. Meaning asynchronous multiplayer.

Does anyone know if the different avatars have any kind of influence on gameplay?

I really like this. Would love to see a non-f2p version on Steam some day:wink:
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Oh I get it, when RR reaches 100% you "Rank Up", which is why RR resets to 0. Presumably if RR dropped past -100% you'd rank down. It appears that non ranked play affects it too; dying seems to drop it.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Necronom wrote:You sure the ranked matches are played out in real time?
I had the impression they're uploaded recordings. Meaning asynchronous multiplayer.
That's correct, it is async multiplayer. I believe it uses your PB for that stage as your "defense", so your opponent sees the run for your PB as your target.
Which is extra incentive to practice the game in Normal Mode and get that PB run, so that you don't lose rank points while you're waiting for stamina to regenerate.
GSK

Post by GSK »

https://swninfo.success-corp.co.jp/smar ... otice.html

Psyvariar RA is being shut down at the end of January. You won't be able to buy any IAP after December and any IAP you do purchase will stop working after the shutdown (including the music packs). Check it out while you still can!

They say they're already thinking about future Psyvariar releases on non-mobile platforms.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Bummer. I still play the game most days on my commute, mastering how to make the extra enemies appear in Gravitino. There's the 2 wheels you get after killing the top 2 tanks, then right after that the 2 red pinwheels you get for killing all the center enemies, then after that the big midboss type guy you get for killing to last top 2 right container ships.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

just port medium unit and revision to something that isn't a ps2
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Bananamatic wrote:just port medium unit and revision to something that isn't a ps2
Pretty much this, revision on pc/steam would be well worth a wank.
ciox

Post by ciox »

Well that lasted about as long as the internet ranking for Revision, damn shame.
rjosal wrote:Bummer. I still play the game most days on my commute, mastering how to make the extra enemies appear in Gravitino. There's the 2 wheels you get after killing the top 2 tanks, then right after that the 2 red pinwheels you get for killing all the center enemies, then after that the big midboss type guy you get for killing to last top 2 right container ships.
Sounds cool, the series never had dynamic enemy spawns until now.
Bananamatic wrote:just port medium unit and revision to something that isn't a ps2
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-hk/ ... IAR0000000

It's 480p with like some hq4x upscaling filters up to 720p, so a Steam port would still be nice, PCSX2 renders the game really well on PC and looks a lot better than the ps2/ps3 ports but it needs insane hardware, also on my machine it randomly stutters just enough to screw up high level runs, so I haven't been able to play this game properly in ages, kinda wish they just skipped straight to working on a PC port.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

PCSX2 has pretty shoddy input lag though.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Both in hardware and software modes?

And what about Demul emulating naomi version?
KAI

Post by KAI »

The G NET games are perfectly playable with mame.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

KAI wrote:The G NET games are perfectly playable with mame.
Aside from dodgy music emulation and glitchy transitions between stages you mean?
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

So are we gonna see some version of this outside of a phone then? Preferably pc.
Cuz that would be great :)
Love me some revision.
Had a mess with this last night. Pretty sweet :)
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

GSK wrote:https://swninfo.success-corp.co.jp/smar ... otice.html

Psyvariar RA is being shut down at the end of January. You won't be able to buy any IAP after December and any IAP you do purchase will stop working after the shutdown (including the music packs). Check it out while you still can!

They say they're already thinking about future Psyvariar releases on non-mobile platforms.
Will download just because. Thanks for the heads up.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Does anyone know if Shako-Pani is someone's alias? This track is REassemble's menu music, and they did this track years ago which is also a Psyvariar arrange on a doujin album.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.