Wii VC 240p mode list

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Einzelherz

Wii VC 240p mode list

Post by Einzelherz »

I've been working on this the past few days, mostly because I'm curious if there's any truth to the commonly held knowledge that there was a crossover of 240p compatibility on Virtual Console titles. I figure that if anything this list, when more complete, could at least point people to certain rarer titles that might otherwise be cost/system prohibitive.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... XvVSY52hoA

If anyone can refute some of these that would be helpful. Or even just add to it.

One thing is does make me curious about though is if it's possible to edit those VC titles that don't allow for 240p to allow for it. I assume it's a flag somewhere in the embedded emulator.
blizzz

Re: Wii VC 240p mode list

Post by blizzz »

Einzelherz wrote:One thing is does make me curious about though is if it's possible to edit those VC titles that don't allow for 240p to allow for it. I assume it's a flag somewhere in the embedded emulator.
Yup, you can edit the 480i VC games to output at 240p. I've done it for the PC Engine games and it seems to work perfectly. Basically the VC games come in a zip file that contains the emulator, settings, rom and meta information. You can just take the emulator from a 240p game and pack it into a 480i VC game.

I wrote a tutorial on how to do this last year, but it's in German. Maybe Google Translate will help. Link
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Vielen Dank!

If I'm reading correctly, I need to have a 240p capable version of the emulator first? Specifically something I'm interested in is turning on 240p for N64 games, which it seems none of them work properly with it - meaning there's no 240p emulator?

edit: Doing some more reading and it seems that there is/was no 240p N64 emulator. But for other games, like TG16 I suppose I can use the above guide or similar wad injection guides for other games like on the TG16.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Einzelherz wrote:Vielen Dank!

If I'm reading correctly, I need to have a 240p capable version of the emulator first? Specifically something I'm interested in is turning on 240p for N64 games, which it seems none of them work properly with it - meaning there's no 240p emulator?

edit: Doing some more reading and it seems that there is/was no 240p N64 emulator. But for other games, like TG16 I suppose I can use the above guide or similar wad injection guides for other games like on the TG16.
Why would you want 320x240p instead of 640x480p for the Nintendo 64? N64 games are the only games on the Wii Virtual Console that can render in native 480p, which is an impressive advantage over the original hardware's 240p and 480i formats. Even N64 games that were originally rendered in 240p benefit from the increased clarity of 480i.

EDIT: I guess if you wanted the original resolution, or if you only had an SD CRT and don't like the flicker of 480i, while wanting scanlines.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Yeah, N64 games look better at 480i on VC, since they're actually running at higher res than they did originally. Well, 3D games at least, I haven't played any sprite-based N65 games.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:Vielen Dank!

EDIT: I guess if you wanted the original resolution, or if you only had an SD CRT and don't like the flicker of 480i, while wanting scanlines.
That ^

On my HDTV I'll be glad to enjoy it in 480p, but since I don't own and probably won't ever own an N64 and most of the games I'd ever play for it are on the VC, I'd like to see them that way.

And BazookaBen, the sprite overlays can look wonky on some of the 480i/p games.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

Does anyone know if you can change the output resolution in Wii VC from 240p to 224p? I ask because Neo-Geo games running in Wii VC at 240p look like a jagged mess and I believe it is because they are being output at the incorrect resolution in Virtual Console. The native resolution of Neo-Geo games is 320x224 and 304x224. Neo-Geo games look great when running them in retroarch for Wii at their native resolution.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Brad251 wrote:Does anyone know if you can change the output resolution in Wii VC from 240p to 224p? I ask because Neo-Geo games running in Wii VC at 240p look like a jagged mess and I believe it is because they are being output at the incorrect resolution in Virtual Console. The native resolution of Neo-Geo games is 320x224 and 304x224. Neo-Geo games look great when running them in retroarch for Wii at their native resolution.
are you sure it's not just the harshness of the video output? when playing in retro arch Wii do you have bilinear filtering disabled?
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

Yes, I have bilinear filtering disabled. There is no harshness in the video output. I am using component cables and everything else I play on my Sony KV-27FV310 looks great; even non Neo-Geo games running in 240p. I suspect that Neo-Geo games on the virtual console are not running at native resolution in 240p mode. Some people in other forums have experienced the same thing.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I only played one, Metal Slug, and it looked good to me.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

The Metal Slug games don't look as bad. I tested out KOF '98, KOF '99, The Last Blade and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and the graphics are very jagged looking. The anti-aliasing effect of what is normally found with scanlines is absent when running these games in 240p mode in Virtual Console.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Brad251 wrote:The Metal Slug games don't look as bad. I tested out KOF '98, KOF '99, The Last Blade and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and the graphics are very jagged looking. The anti-aliasing effect of what is normally found with scanlines is absent when running these games in 240p mode in Virtual Console.
are you sure it's actually running them in 240p mode? some later virtual console titles defaulted to 480i because Nintendo was getting reports of people having problems with 240p ( lots of TVs around the time didn't properly support the resolution and wouldn't even show a picture)

some of the 480i games (like comic zone) can be set back to 240p by using the menu trick

Code: Select all

Playing in 240p
In order to play some VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode.  Then follow this procedure:

1. Set your Wii to 480i mode (I had mine set to 4:3 as well...I'm not sure if that matters). This will not work in 480p mode.
2. Start a Virtual Console game.
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Guide.
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote (if the classic controller is plugged in, you'll have to remove it to do this).
4. Press A+1+Z simultaneously (A and 1 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk).
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you've done this correctly. This should activate 240p mode for all VC games that are 240p-compatible.
6. To switch to 480i mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+2+Z instead.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

Blair wrote:
Brad251 wrote:The Metal Slug games don't look as bad. I tested out KOF '98, KOF '99, The Last Blade and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and the graphics are very jagged looking. The anti-aliasing effect of what is normally found with scanlines is absent when running these games in 240p mode in Virtual Console.
are you sure it's actually running them in 240p mode? some later virtual console titles defaulted to 480i because Nintendo was getting reports of people having problems with 240p ( lots of TVs around the time didn't properly support the resolution and wouldn't even show a picture)

some of the 480i games (like comic zone) can be set back to 240p by using the menu trick

Code: Select all

Playing in 240p
In order to play some VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode.  Then follow this procedure:

1. Set your Wii to 480i mode (I had mine set to 4:3 as well...I'm not sure if that matters). This will not work in 480p mode.
2. Start a Virtual Console game.
2. Press the Home button to bring up the Home menu, and then click on Operations Guide.
3. Attach a Nunchuk controller to your Wii remote (if the classic controller is plugged in, you'll have to remove it to do this).
4. Press A+1+Z simultaneously (A and 1 are on your Wii remote, Z on your Nunchuk).
5. You should hear a sound confirming that you've done this correctly. This should activate 240p mode for all VC games that are 240p-compatible.
6. To switch to 480i mode for VC, follow the same steps as above, but press A+2+Z instead.
Yes, I use this method to set the games in 240p mode.
masqdgamer

Post by masqdgamer »

I have almost all of the Neo Geo VC games and all of the ones that I have run in 240p and look fantastic.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

masqdgamer wrote:I have almost all of the Neo Geo VC games and all of the ones that I have run in 240p and look fantastic.
this

Also, I don't think it would matter if you changed the resolution to 224p unless you have a PVM or BVM. On consumer sets, it'll stretch to fit 240p/480i.
beer monkey

Post by beer monkey »

There is no difference between 224p and 240p as far as scan rates and resolution of processing/display hardware goes. 224p has 224 ACTIVE lines out of 240, and 16 black lines with no content displayed. They scan exactly the same. It's just a matter of which lines are displaying pixels. 224p just has more lines that are painted black at the top and the bottom of the image to fill out 240p.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

I don't know what to say. There is a stair stepping effect on the edges of all the sprites that I don't think should be there. Even the Neo-Geo logo at the start up screen looks jagged. I have not noticed this problem in any other games that I play on my CRT in 240p.
beer monkey

Post by beer monkey »

Is there a game you think is especially bad aka a good example?

I will take native 240p caps tonight (from the passthrough of my broadcast monitor) and post them to see if it matches what you are seeing.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I've heard that Wii VC games are essentially stored in a folder on the Wii System Memory / SD Card, which contain the ROM, emulator and settings. Maybe it's possible to edit the settings, emulator or ROM to allow VC games to render at their native resolutions, or possibly render at 480p?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Rendering VC at 480p, I believe you just set the Wii to 480p and that's it. That causes the N64 VC to render at 480p, anyhow.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

beer monkey wrote:Is there a game you think is especially bad aka a good example?

I will take native 240p caps tonight (from the passthrough of my broadcast monitor) and post them to see if it matches what you are seeing.
KOF '98 and '99 look especially bad. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Samurai Shodown IV and The Last Blade 2 don't look as bad but still look bad.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Guspaz wrote:Rendering VC at 480p, I believe you just set the Wii to 480p and that's it. That causes the N64 VC to render at 480p, anyhow.
Yes, but that is only the case for N64 games. Every other system on Wii VC outputs at 240p/480i.

I know that 240p compatible VC games like NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo, etc. cannot run in 240p if the Wii is set to 480p. I'm not sure if the Wii upscales it or not though, if not the TV.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

GeneraLight wrote:Yes, but that is only the case for N64 games. Every other system on Wii VC outputs at 240p/480i.
Are you sure? I thought NTSC consoles would output all/most VC games at 480p too when the consoles is set to 480p. Doesn't work with PAL VC games though. Or maybe I just tested Chrono Trigger which is a special case.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

blizzz wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:Yes, but that is only the case for N64 games. Every other system on Wii VC outputs at 240p/480i.
Are you sure? I thought NTSC consoles would output all/most VC games at 480p too when the consoles is set to 480p. Doesn't work with PAL VC games though. Or maybe I just tested Chrono Trigger which is a special case.
Yes

http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html
Playing in 240p
In order to play VC games in 240p, your Wii needs to be set to 480i mode. Then follow this procedure:

Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

That just says that you can't get 240p if you set the console to 480p. Instead, you get 480p, with the VC handling the upscale. The quality of which varies depending on the emulated system. Which just goes back to the point: you don't need to edit any sort of config files to get 480p output on the virtual console, just set the whole Wii to progressive and it'll output in 480p. Not ideal from a quality standpoint, but a potential latency/compatibility improvement on HDTVs.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Instead, you get 480p, with the VC handling the upscale. The quality of which varies depending on the emulated system.
Well, the default resolution for all Wii VC games is 480i. So I imagine it wouldn't be upscaled to the system's 480p output, but rather de-interlaced.
Guspaz wrote:Which just goes back to the point: you don't need to edit any sort of config files to get 480p output on the virtual console, just set the whole Wii to progressive and it'll output in 480p. Not ideal from a quality standpoint, but a potential latency/compatibility improvement on HDTVs.
True, but there should be a way to edit config files to allow every VC game to render in native 480p. That way you can keep your Wii in 480p all the time without ever having to switch back and forth, and enjoy the increased resolution.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

GeneraLight wrote:
Instead, you get 480p, with the VC handling the upscale. The quality of which varies depending on the emulated system.
Well, the default resolution for all Wii VC games is 480i. So I imagine it wouldn't be upscaled to the system's 480p output, but rather de-interlaced.
Guspaz wrote:Which just goes back to the point: you don't need to edit any sort of config files to get 480p output on the virtual console, just set the whole Wii to progressive and it'll output in 480p. Not ideal from a quality standpoint, but a potential latency/compatibility improvement on HDTVs.
True, but there should be a way to edit config files to allow every VC game to render in native 480p. That way you can keep your Wii in 480p all the time without ever having to switch back and forth, and enjoy the increased resolution.
That's what Guspaz just said. Run in 480p and every VC game is in 480p. My own experience confirms this.
beer monkey

Post by beer monkey »

I made a quick album showing photos, and screencaps, of KOF99 on my Wii.

http://imgur.com/a/9xsol

FWIW there were exactly 224 active (non black) lines on the USB3HDCAP BMPs of the screens.

Maybe somebody can take screenshots from MAME to compare, I don't do MAME.
holaplaneta

Post by holaplaneta »

blizzz wrote:I wrote a tutorial on how to do this last year, but it's in German. Maybe Google Translate will help. Link
Man this is amazing, Google translate really helps, but I wonder if one day we could have this properly translated to english. As you said in the tutorial and google translated as:

"Everything at your own risk. If you have defective WAD files installed on its Wii and BootMii has not installed, the console can bricken!"

I don´t want to risk bricking out my wii.

Thanks for the tutorial!
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

@holaplaneta
I would translate it, but the link for the zip package that contains the LZ77 compression tool and batch file is down. I checked my file server and it's not one of the files I kept. Here's the original GBATemp thread where I found the tool. The author of the batch file (stev418) hasn't been online since 2014, so he probably also doesn't have the tool anymore.