tried to turn my tv over for tate and everything looks green

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tekneekz

tried to turn my tv over for tate and everything looks green

Post by tekneekz »

what do i need to make my old toshiba tv to not hat distorted colors i want original colors when i flip my tv to play my shmups no tate. please help.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

1) Make sure to tate the TV when it is off.

2) After tating, don't turn on the TV right away. Give it 15 minutes.

3) Not all TVs can be tated. Also, some (like mine) can be flipped in one orientation but not the other. Try flipping it both ways. If neither works, you're out of luck.
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

An electronics repair shop might be able to realign the guns in the tube... :?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

TalkingOctopus wrote:3) Not all TVs can be tated. Also, some (like mine) can be flipped in one orientation but not the other. Try flipping it both ways. If neither works, you're out of luck.
extrarice wrote:An electronics repair shop might be able to realign the guns in the tube...
Final step, nobody ever seems to mention -

Degausse/Demagnetizer wand. The solution to most stubborn discoloration problems. Another bonus, you would not need to do any waiting or unplugging before flipping the monitor.

I use the HC-33 from Hozan, but there are much cheaper alternatives out there.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Yes, all you need is a degausse.

A TV is a CRT - ie a Cathode Ray Tube. It's pretty simple really - an Anode (power source) charges up, and discharges to a Cathode. The beams that travel through the vacuum tube (ie: the glass tube inside the TV) are bent by magnets to hit the correct part of the screen, and light up the phosphor coating.

The earth has some whopping big magnetic feilds. Rotating your TV will cause the once calibrated TV to now be 90 degrees out of whack, causing the beams to deflect incorrectly, which causes the weird colours.

Most TVs include a degausse circuit in them. Simply turning the TV off for a while, and turning it back on will initialise the degausse relay to click in for a few seconds on power-up, and fix the issue. For TVs or monitors that don't include a degausse circuit, you'll need to buy a thing called a "Degaussing Wand". It's essentially a degausse coil in a plastic tube.

Plug your degausse wand in while standing far away from the screen. I generally walk towards the TV pointing the wand at the center (don't get too close, keep an inch or so away from the screen). Now start rotating in circles, slowly increasing in diameter until you are all the way at the edge of the screen. Walk backwards slowly, and turn the wand off when you are out of range (DON'T turn it on and off close to a screen, as you can damage it). You should see all the colours change while the wand is near, and settle when it is far away and eventually off.

Degaussing wands cab be found in electronics shops and TV replair places, as well as ebay, for around US$30-$50 (AU$50-$70). If you are buying a lot of cabs or arcade monitors, or find your TATE TV is giving funny colours, it's a recommended buy.
autechre

Re: tried to turn my tv over for tate and everything looks g

Post by autechre »

tekneekz wrote:what do i need to make my old toshiba tv to not hat distorted colors i want original colors when i flip my tv to play my shmups no tate. please help.
That site may help you! Go to "How to"

http://turn.to/vertical