GD: Strikers 1945 (I)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Thanks Dave, now at least I was wise and saved the images unlike previously. When I've tried this it's been mostly occuring during stage 2, and since I'm not thoroughly experienced in this game I find things get a little hairy when waiting, at least for the 'train sound' signal to begin firing.

Edit: I guess I just realized that since trees 1 & 2 are further up the screen to the opposite direction from where the train appears, it's more difficult to sweep back, then catch the train while that first 'V' bomber is back by the tree causing for a real mess to dodge not to mention all the still active tanks.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Mills

Post by Mills »

id like to know how the japanese player gets the bonus train on the 2nd loop, yet he takes out 2 tanks before hovering above the tree. i tried that technique and it doesnt work.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

I thought that any firing at that point stops the train trigger?
I would play safe Mills.
Mills

Post by Mills »

In typical Del fashison, you obviously didnt pay much attention to the 2nd loop jap replay. he takes out 3 tanks and still get the bonus train.
DEL

Mr Mills!

Post by DEL »

:lol: Ok he did, but that's not to say that YOU managed it, so play safe and don't fire. Its only a few points after all :roll: .
Mills

Post by Mills »

You just dont f**king get it. explaining shit to you is more stressful than going 10 loops on strikers. so im not going to bother.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Aaah that's The Old Mills that we know and love :D.
Alright so I'm thick, is it the mechanics behind the Train Trigger that bother you? ie. Why the train still triggers when the Jap player shoots enemies before the trigger?

Or would you prefer going ten loops on something before answering me?
Mills

Post by Mills »

Ive spent over 10yrs, through approx 10,000 plays, and probably spent over £10k, and you have to come trumps with your 10 out of 10 effort for the lamest coment ever "PLAY F**KING SAFE".
landshark

Post by landshark »

Ahahahah.

It's been a while since I've watched the replay. But it appears he only shoots the last 3 tanks that appear on the screen. I believe I've seen this done in other replays as well.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Yeah well ive now got that strategy dialled. seems to only work if you get that stage on 2-2. strangely though, i cant get the bonus train using the same technique on 2-1! weird. works on 1st loop if you only destroy the two tanks containing the gold bonus bars. problem with this damn game is that the stages are random, so unless there is a technique to select/program that train stage for 2-2 every time, im at the mercy of the game cpu which is a pain in the arse because i got my highest 1st loop score a few days ago, only to lose all 4 lives on the 2-4 train stage. postioned my P-38 above the tank only for my fighter to be taken out at point-blank range. the ememy bullet didnt even come out of the tank turret.....my fighter just exploded :shock: :o :x :cry:
Mills

Post by Mills »

got the 2nd loop train stage dialled with spitfire (providing i get the train stage on 2-2). just need to figure out how to do it with my regular 109 fighter or P-51. 2player joystick on Raiden3/arcade has been finally sorted/fixed in good working order.
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

Dave_K. wrote:
mannerbot wrote:To do the trick, you hold your fire coming into Germany (or just don't shoot any enemies). Move your plane over the first tree as pictured if it's the first stage you play, or the second one if it's the second. Then, on the next line of trees, move it over the (middle if first stage, rightmost if second stage) tree and hold it there until the train appears.
sorry for digging up this old thread - but i seem to be the only person here who still doesn't know how to trigger that train :?

the picture dave_k refers to is no longer available so i'd like to ask if somebody else still has it and could show me which tree(s) everybody is talking about?
landshark

Post by landshark »

I moved ISPs so all my old pictures died. I did archive all the pictures to my drive at home.

So if someone can give me some place to put the picture, I can re-upload it.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

http://www.world-of-arcades.net/1945/St ... ecrets.htm

Keep in mind that you're not allowed to destroy any enemies at all BEFORE hovering over the trees, too. (actually you ARE allowed to destroy certain enemies, but that'd be just too complex right now)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

*thanx* will try this out right now!
xorthen

Post by xorthen »

Does anybody have any videos demonstrating the techniques for the Germany stage?
landshark

Post by landshark »

No video needed. Just don't shoot anything. Dodge until the trees show up and depending on what stage you are in, hover over the right tree until the train shows up.
xorthen

Post by xorthen »

How about the slow bullets? I know in Souky, the game gets harder as you get power ups, I thought I read someone saying that it's similar in this game.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

xorthen wrote:How about the slow bullets? I know in Souky, the game gets harder as you get power ups, I thought I read someone saying that it's similar in this game.
The game has rank. The more power-ups the faster the bullets.
Dragonfly10

Re: RQ: Strikers 1945 (I)

Post by Dragonfly10 »

Can someone go a bit into details about how rank works in this game?

I've been playing this game alot the last few weeks but to be honest it seem's that I'm pretty much stuck at stage 1-4 on normal difficulty. So I thought "pick up less power ups to keep rank low", but it didn't make a noticeable difference in how far i can play with 1cc. The bullets may be slower, but due the reduced firepower the bosses and also their most dangerous parts last longer. And because the game rank advances even without picking up any power ups, I wonder if it's really useful not to pick up any more power ups than let's say 2 at stage 1-3 or higher. And I really need atleast 2 power ups or I get in trouble within the levels itself with too many enemies stacking up.

How important is power down (except for score purposes?). Is one power down decreasing the rank more than 1 power up increases it?

I've also got the impression that the P-38, as good as it seems for starters, isn't really a plane for people who don't know the boss patterns inside out. The plane is so big and slow that you can't rely on reactions whilst fighting the bosses. Other planes like the Spitfire seem more suited to play with without having learned all patterns. Due the stage randomization and the different boss attack patterns depending on which stage you encounter them in, I got a hard time memorizing the attacks.
1up

Post by 1up »

yay, digging up an old thread. Just read through it and had lots of fun reading through it.

ok! I've been playing cave games for a good while now and have recently gone back to Strikers 1945 after not playing that game since I 1LC it back in 2006? My problem is figuring out the hitbox. After playing cave games for so long Im used to the small hitbox and how I can navigate through patterns. So this playstyle is now carried over to Strikers 1945, but I die a LOT. Where is the hitbox? is it in the middle or the cockpit? I cant seem to figure it.

I play mostly with the P-38

Did mills ever figure out those insanely high jap scores?
1up

Post by 1up »

Found a picture that displays the hitbox for Strikers 1945 plus for MVS. I guess the hitboxes are similar. That means the hit box is almost the entire body of the plane. No wonder I get killed left and right when I thought it was only the cockpit.
gabrielesquaratti

Re: GD: Strikers 1945 (I)

Post by gabrielesquaratti »

I truly love that game,more than strikers 1945 II.
I can (until now) reach the level 7 with 1cc using Zero.
I usually memorize enemy appearance and try to kill them asap pointblanking them.
Zero option shoot grenades at an incredible fast rate at point blank.
Usuallyi can dispatch bosses first form before they even start to spam bullets at me
Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut »

So I've been trying to do the Gunbird train trick, I can now get it to appear consistently. In fact I've figured out one little thing which may not be well known: you don't need to sit on the correct tree for a second or whatever amount of time, you just need to be on the right tree at the right time. The building with the trees around it has 2 trees on the bottom and 3 on the top, it's JUST after the 3rd/top tree is fully on-screen, you need to be sitting on top of the correct tree at that time (this coincides with the time that the train sound plays), see this pic:
When that top tree is on fully on-screen with a small gap at the top, that's the perfect timing.

Now I could do with some tips here:
- If you're using BF-109, can you destroy ANYTHING before the train appears? Unless it's stage 1, your options destroy stuff behind you, I don't see how it's possible.
- Any tips for actually destroying the train? On stage 1 I have no powerups, I don't think I can do it without bombing (in fact I tend to bomb it regardless of stage right now :oops:)

Also: is there some weirdness with scoring in the loop? I cleared the 1st loop with just under 800k, died very early on 2-1 but did get over 800k, then on the hiscore entry screen my score was 'rewound' to what it was at the end of 1-8 - WTF? :(
Mills

Post by Mills »

The two tanks below your plane hovering position can be destroyed. Easy to take out with P-51 Mustang, Spitfire, Shinden, BF-109 you must have charge shot immediately ready before start of stage and position to take out the two tanks. Do this for 2nd loop at start of stage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBpDdv1sqxM
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

When does the game check your position for the stage 7 midboss selection?

Edit: And the boss, for that matter. Having difficulties triggering any midboss/boss consistently.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Lyv

Post by Lyv »

It seems that the game checks your position only a few seconds before the scrolling stops.
I'd say 1-2 seconds before the boss, maybe 2-3 before the midboss.

For the midboss, I try to be in position before the three cylinders from which the midbosses come out are all on screen.
Another rule of thumb begin "kill the left robot fast then get in position", which works equally well.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Ah I think I've got it now, I was standing one digit's width too far to the left. Using your plane's shot helps get the alignment right.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it depends on vertical position too - the trick as described by Mills requires that you be at or near the bottom of the screen.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Strikers1985

Post by Strikers1985 »

So I work at a barcade in Des Moines,IA that just brought this game in. Trying to secure the high score on our board and would like some advice in getting beyond 1.6m. New to this series so any help would be appreciated.