Arcade control panels

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
M0nk3y

Arcade control panels

Post by M0nk3y »

From the pics I've seen, the control panels are made of either aluminium or stainless steel, which is about 2-3mm thick, correct? Just enough for a Sanwa button to snap into?

But what about the artwork on top? Is this some sort of special sticky-backed vinyl? Where can I purchase such stuff? My mate's Dad has a sign writing company, and he has all sorts of crazy printers and such. I'm assuming he must have something that could print on vinyl, but I'm not sure what type I'd need?

If I can't find this vinyl stuff, I'm either gonna have plain metal (hopefully laser engraved) or go for the standard artwork under clear plexiglass. What does everyone print this artwork on?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions please.

Cheers
elvis

Post by elvis »

Printable white self-adhesive vinyl is common as mud. Any print shop will be able to get that stuff in and print on it. We use the same stuff for CPs, side art and decals. There are various strenths at various prices. Everything from ultra-thin (probably too weak for an arcade machine) to stuff made for floor coverings that will take a beating.

Just get the dimensions of your CP and design a cover that's a centimetre (half inch) bigger all the way round for overlap (you can always cut it to size, but you can't make it bigger). Design yourself a nice high-res (300DPI) image to go on the cover, and give it to a print shop to print onto thin self-adhesive vinyl.
M0nk3y

Post by M0nk3y »

OK, cool. But why does everyone that makes custom sticks use artwork under plexiglass? Is this so people can have nice artwork on their sticks, or what?

Atm, I'm considering either artwork (on sticky vinyl) under a plexiglas panel, bare polished aluminium (maybe laser engraved) or this vinyl stuff stuck straight onto a metal panel.
elvis

Post by elvis »

M0nk3y wrote:OK, cool. But why does everyone that makes custom sticks use artwork under plexiglass? Is this so people can have nice artwork on their sticks, or what?
1) Because "plexiglass" (why do you Americans use that term? It isn't glass!) is easier to replace than scratched/destroyed custom artwork in 5 years time.

2) Because you can print your artwork on laminated/coated paper at a fraction of the cost of vinyl. Or if you're really tight, you can even do it on your bubblejet printer at home on some gloss paper. Slap some perspex over the top, and you have yourself a very professional looking stick without needing to use all sorts of professional tools.