XRGB-mini Framemeister

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NormalFish

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister (now available !)

Post by NormalFish »

blizzz wrote:
NormalFish wrote:Can someone clue me in to the actual differences between DVI and HDMI?
DVI and HDMI are just slightly different ways to transport digital video. HDMI can transmit either in RGB or YCbCr and also add extra stuff like audio channels, while DVI is limited to RGB and has no audio. Although it is technically possible to transmit audio over a DVI cable too. Since we're talking about digital video, neither of them has any more artifacts than the other.
Alright, that's about what I thought.

What about the supposed color differences? Is this a product of the Mini's quirks concerning color spaces, now resolved with the option added in the most recent firmware?
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

Guspaz wrote:But they're supposed to look like that. Japan doesn't use 8:7 aspect ratio TVs.
Not really. Other games has no deformed circles/squares when is displayed in 4:3 because they are developed with a wrong aspect ratio, and then the TV has all the work to fix this.

I think the same thing happens with all CPS2 games.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

I believe most games were developed with egg shaped circles so that when displayed on a 4:3 CRT they would slightly stretch out and appear round. If I remember right, they messed up on Yoshi's Island aspect ratio. Fortunately oval circles are less noticeable than egg shapes and the game still looks fine (to me at least). The moon in Castlevania Bloodlines is another example.

This is why I am not a fan of pixel perfect aspect ratio's. You are usually seeing what the developer saw and not what the developer expected you to see.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
TheShadowRunner

Post by TheShadowRunner »

austin532 wrote:I believe most games were developed with egg shaped circles so that when displayed on a 4:3 CRT they would slightly stretch out and appear round. If I remember right, they messed up on Yoshi's Island aspect ratio. Fortunately oval circles are less noticeable than egg shapes and the game still looks fine (to me at least). The moon in Castlevania Bloodlines is another example.

This is why I am not a fan of pixel perfect aspect ratio's. You are usually seeing what the developer saw and not what the developer expected you to see.
The same logic applies to scanlines imho.
I can't comprehend how someone would NOT want scanlines for 240p contents, it's so obvious these games were designed / produced with scanlines in mind.
I don't believe it's a matter of personal preference either, it's exactly like stretching 4/3 games to 16/9, nonsense!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Ripthorn wrote:
Guspaz wrote:But they're supposed to look like that. Japan doesn't use 8:7 aspect ratio TVs.
Not really. Other games has no deformed circles/squares when is displayed in 4:3 because they are developed with a wrong aspect ratio, and then the TV has all the work to fix this.

Umm, all TVs during the 8-bit and 16-bit lifespan were 4:3. They were going to take any input image and display it in 4:3, they didn't "work" to fix that.

CRTs don't have a fixed horizontal resolution, it's just about how fast you can modulate the signal while the beam is moving across the scanline, so it didn't matter if you were doing that 256 or 320 times per scanline, the image was going to be 4:3 unless you letterboxed it.

Any aspect ratio for SNES games other than 4:3 is simply wrong, and since the console wasn't designed for square pixels like computers use, the 1:1 scaling is also wrong, even if it's the easiest to display on modern equipment.
Last edited by Guspaz on Sat May 28, 2016 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmonal

Post by Cosmonal »

Ripthorn wrote:Finally, PAL-M support :mrgreen:
Sadly the PAL-M support is not working on my Playtronic PAL-M Nintendo 64, only color glitches when EXT is enabled. Tried many settings (sync, etc) and nothing changed anything -- always glitching and unusable signal. Will test soon on SMS Tec Toy and Odyssey both from composite (Odyssey is modded to composite output). Did you had any brazilian PAL-M console working? Thanks!
Cosmic Effect
Videogames Ontem e Hoje
FBX

Post by FBX »

NormalFish wrote:Can someone clue me in to the actual differences between DVI and HDMI? I've heard things ranging from less artifacts to more accurate colours, and honestly have no idea what's still true, if at all.

Basically: I'm using a 1080p60 Asus computer monitor for my mini, should I swap to DVI output?

I believe the 2.03 firmware may have fixed the color issue. I did a direct capture of SMW in HDMI, and the greens on the shrubs were distinct this time around.

Ripthorn wrote:Come on guys, a lot of games looks squashed with 4:3 aspect ratio :lol:
Fudoh wrote:Do you really want such a screwed up aspect ratio ? If so, all you have to do is pull up a 4x or 5x profile and reduce the horizontal width until you got your "emu" aspect ratio...
Thanks, I will toy a bit with the horizontal width option. :mrgreen:
More specifically the "ZOOM_WIDTH" option is what you want to adjust. But at any rate, whether or not geometry will look correct at 4:3 aspect ratio depended entirely upon the artists of a given game. So while you have the SMW2 example shown there, the counterpoint example would the the Triforce in Link to the Past. They are squished in at 8:7, yet become correctly angled at 4:3.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Alrighty, if the color issue is resolved I won't sweat it. Might eventually make some custom portfolios for a smaller monitor I have lying around but otherwise I won't bother. Thanks.
Ripthorn

Post by Ripthorn »

Guspaz wrote:
Ripthorn wrote:

Umm, all TVs during the 8-bit and 16-bit lifespan were 4:3. They were going to take any input image and display it in 4:3, they didn't "work" to fix that.

CRTs don't have a fixed horizontal resolution, it's just about how fast you can modulate the signal while the beam is moving across the scanline, so it didn't matter if you were doing that 256 or 320 times per scanline, the image was going to be 4:3 unless you letterboxed it.

Any aspect ratio for SNES games other than 4:3 is simply wrong, and since the console wasn't designed for square pixels like computers use, the 1:1 scaling is also wrong, even if it's the easiest to display on modern equipment.
Well, what I'm telling you is all games on CPS2 uses some kind of 16:10 resolution, but the devs know this, so they take this into account and when you go to play on arcade cab you see the image with 4:3 aspect ratio with no distorted square/circle.

Same thing on SNES, but a lot of devs did not take this into account, so we got a lot of games with circles and squares squashed.
Mortal Kombat 2 is one of the games that not have distorted square/circle.
Cosmonal wrote:
Ripthorn wrote:Finally, PAL-M support :mrgreen:
Sadly the PAL-M support is not working on my Playtronic PAL-M Nintendo 64, only color glitches when EXT is enabled. Tried many settings (sync, etc) and nothing changed anything -- always glitching and unusable signal. Will test soon on SMS Tec Toy and Odyssey both from composite (Odyssey is modded to composite output). Did you had any brazilian PAL-M console working? Thanks!
Don't bother, PAL-M compatibility is busted :?
480i sources works fine, at least on 240p suite for SNES, but 240p sources just shows garbaged crap.
I believe the issue is in how Framemeister detects the signal, it is recognizing 240p signals as 480i.
FBX wrote:
NormalFish wrote:Can someone clue me in to the actual differences between DVI and HDMI? I've heard things ranging from less artifacts to more accurate colours, and honestly have no idea what's still true, if at all.

Basically: I'm using a 1080p60 Asus computer monitor for my mini, should I swap to DVI output?

I believe the 2.03 firmware may have fixed the color issue. I did a direct capture of SMW in HDMI, and the greens on the shrubs were distinct this time around.

Ripthorn wrote:Come on guys, a lot of games looks squashed with 4:3 aspect ratio :lol:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/140 ... 33aa_o.png
Fudoh wrote:Do you really want such a screwed up aspect ratio ? If so, all you have to do is pull up a 4x or 5x profile and reduce the horizontal width until you got your "emu" aspect ratio...
Thanks, I will toy a bit with the horizontal width option. :mrgreen:
More specifically the "ZOOM_WIDTH" option is what you want to adjust. But at any rate, whether or not geometry will look correct at 4:3 aspect ratio depended entirely upon the artists of a given game. So while you have the SMW2 example shown there, the counterpoint example would the the Triforce in Link to the Past. They are squished in at 8:7, yet become correctly angled at 4:3.
At least the important part does not get squished in at 8:7 :)
Shuco13

Post by Shuco13 »

austin532 wrote:
FBX wrote:
austin532 wrote:What extra line are you talking about? I feel like I of all people should know this. There is only Int Line and Int Smooth when the image is integer scaled. If not then Dec Line 1, Dec Line 2, and Dec Smooth appear. Is that what you mean?
It's in regards to anything above 4x (Smart_2X) integer scaled. The Int_Smooth function doesn't line up properly even though the image is scaled properly to 5 x or 6x or what have you. So you end up having to turn Int_Smooth off by setting it at 127, but of course the remaining scanlines are much too thin.
That line tends to disappear around 100 Smooth but yeah by then they are too thin. Even if they fix that they still won't look right IMO.
Let me give you a plain, inaccurate example. Instead of this (current firmware, ------ representing even lines):
--------------------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

they should just do something like this (for >4x profiles):

and make density adjustable (from none over - - - to ----) with INT-SMOOTH for the parallel lines and with INT-LINE for the even lines (as it is now). I hope you get the point.
...aka 12345
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

FBX wrote:I believe the 2.03 firmware may have fixed the color issue. I did a direct capture of SMW in HDMI, and the greens on the shrubs were distinct this time around.

Did you record in RGB output mode or YCbCr? YCbCr is indeed fixed, but it was already good before. You just couldn't force YCbCr.

Would be interesting if the colors in RGB output changed. But you probably need a professional capture card that can handle 4:4:4 RGB natively to make a statement about the RGB output. I also vaguely remember that HDMI output (in RGB) and DVI output had slightly different colors, but that might have been an issue with my TV.
Gered

Post by Gered »

blizzz wrote:I also vaguely remember that HDMI output (in RGB) and DVI output had slightly different colors, but that might have been an issue with my TV.
Indeed, all my displays have this problem as well. Have not yet installed 2.03 to re-test though. Also, I found some output resolutions while in DVI mode made a difference (!). As I recall, most of the output resolutions that are also available in HDMI output mode had the same colour issues as in HDMI, while the other DVI-only modes like 1280x1024, 1024x768, etc showed more "correct" colours.
Cosmonal

Post by Cosmonal »

Shuco13 wrote:
TheShadowRunner wrote: Edit: Ok, so they seem to have made a significant change to the OUTPUT-COLOR mode. RGB forces RGB colors on all inputs, AUTO does not automatically detect colors anymore but forces YCBCR colors on EVERY output (that's why colors seemed to be washed out on my setup). So since there is no real auto-mode anymore, and the setting isn't stored by profiles this means you have to go with EITHER YCBCR OR RGB on all of your inputs which is kind of a letdown if you use both D-terminal and RGB.

Edit2: Ok, found an easy fix for this. If you were on AUTO (like me) before and are having issues with the black level just lower your BRIGHTNESS setting by 16 (e.g. I had it on 26 before and lowered it to 10) for RGB-inputs. It looks just the same as if you went from AUTO to RGB. Why not set it to RGB in the first place and adjust the D-terminal settings? D-terminal is really hard to get right with its SATURATION and HUE controls, so that the RGB-input is a lower denominator and only needs the mentioned BRIGHTNESS adjustment.
Good to know about solving through BRIGHTNESS setting also, but I think it's best to set OUTPUT_RANGE to FULL when using OUTPUT_COLOR on AUTO (YCbCr) because 2.03 firmware AUTO is forcing limited range to YCbCr (which I think it might be ok to be limited, YCbCr probably is not "0-255"? Don't know for sure). When OUTPUT_RANGE is set to LIMITED, the final result is even less color range ("twice limited"? :D ) hence the washed out colors.

Set to full range makes it correct again, without messing with brightness (I hate setting brightness, always think that I will leave it at some not optimized setting :)

I've just found out while I was looking to solve the washed out colors on the new FW and it's perfect now. My capture card is an Blackmagic Intensity, which samples HDMI video on 4:2:2 limited range and I have "correct colors" with those settings and on the TV. Hope it helps!
Cosmic Effect
Videogames Ontem e Hoje
PaulieORF

Post by PaulieORF »

Hey guys. I've mainly been a lurker here, looking for what people have been saying about firmware updates and whatnot.

However, I've got an issue with my Framemeister, and it seems like it's gotten worse over time. Take a look at the screenshots below. Take a look at the black are around the SMB world 1 map, mainly the top and the bottom. I show this screen because it illustrates the problem well. The problem isn't very visible when there are colors other than black around the top and bottom of the screen. On the NES it presents itself as a glow from the top and bottom of the screen. on the SNES it's a more faint glow from the top, but on the bottom also shows up as a horizontal line where the bottom of the SNES's picture is.

The issue occurs only on RGB with all consoles. It does not occur when using component, s-video, or composite. I've tried a combination of different SCART cords along with multiple Framemeister-to-SCART adapters and I have the same result each time. I'm using the Pixel Purist's profiles, and have also tried resetting to factory defaults with no luck. Also I've tried a different power adapter (PSP-100) and plugged into different outlets, in case there was some kind of interference going on with the power. No dice, still happens.

I'm beginning to fear that something is internally wrong with my Framemeister. Has anyone here seen/heard of this, and is there anything else I can try before I declare my Framemeister semi-fried?

Thanks!
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I don't see any problem with those screenshots (I don't see any glow, the black borders look black), could you be more specific about the problem?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I can see it, there's some white crush on the top inside the black borders. No idea what causes it.
PaulieORF

Post by PaulieORF »

Guspaz wrote:I don't see any problem with those screenshots (I don't see any glow, the black borders look black), could you be more specific about the problem?
I was playing around some more, and it looks like the issue is only shows up when HDMI output is set to 'auto' instead of RGB.

Take a look at the screenshot below. The left side is the setting on Auto and the right side is on RGB. Look at the seem at the top in the middle of the shot, and then follow with your eyes over to the left side. Also if your monitor's contrast is low, it may be harder to see. It's much more prominent to the naked eye on my TV.

NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

I've always adjusted my brightness/black level to compensate for noisiness like that. FBX's profiles are designed for his display, so makes sense they need a bit of tuning.
PaulieORF

Post by PaulieORF »

NormalFish wrote:I've always adjusted my brightness/black level to compensate for noisiness like that. FBX's profiles are designed for his display, so makes sense they need a bit of tuning.
Same phenomenon even with the default profile. However, I did play with brightness settings and when I get it to the point where the noise disappears, the game picture is incredibly dark and not what one would consider very playable.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

With that side-by-side comparison, I can just baaarely see it on the left image... But it's so incredibly subtle that I'd never be able to spot it in practice without such a side-by-side comparison. Probably comes from my monitor having a decent black level (a high-end IPS panel).
FBX

Post by FBX »

Adjusting black level (not brightness) can get rid of the noise at the top of the screen. Additionally I found making masked profiles that cover the black area also prevents this, but I shy away from doing that because everyone's display centers differently, and so a perfect mask on my display will likely be off-center on someone else's.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

How does the masking setting work? is it pretty intuitive? I don't believe I've ever messed with it.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

PaulieORF wrote:
NormalFish wrote:I've always adjusted my brightness/black level to compensate for noisiness like that. FBX's profiles are designed for his display, so makes sense they need a bit of tuning.
Same phenomenon even with the default profile. However, I did play with brightness settings and when I get it to the point where the noise disappears, the game picture is incredibly dark and not what one would consider very playable.
Are you talking about the glow in the overscan area whenever a bright image appears on screen? This seems to be common with RGB cables and I think require a stronger capacitor. I would leave Black Level at 0 as anything less than that will make certain games too dark. Best way to calibrate a system is the 240p test suite. There is nothing much that can be done with the noise.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
FBX

Post by FBX »

NormalFish wrote:How does the masking setting work? is it pretty intuitive? I don't believe I've ever messed with it.
Not intuitive at all. It takes hours of fine-tuning to combine a mask with integer scaling. I only did it for the Genesis, and a couple of horizontal masks for some NES profiles.
Shuco13

Post by Shuco13 »

Cosmonal wrote:
Shuco13 wrote:
TheShadowRunner wrote: Edit: Ok, so they seem to have made a significant change to the OUTPUT-COLOR mode. RGB forces RGB colors on all inputs, AUTO does not automatically detect colors anymore but forces YCBCR colors on EVERY output (that's why colors seemed to be washed out on my setup). So since there is no real auto-mode anymore, and the setting isn't stored by profiles this means you have to go with EITHER YCBCR OR RGB on all of your inputs which is kind of a letdown if you use both D-terminal and RGB.

Edit2: Ok, found an easy fix for this. If you were on AUTO (like me) before and are having issues with the black level just lower your BRIGHTNESS setting by 16 (e.g. I had it on 26 before and lowered it to 10) for RGB-inputs. It looks just the same as if you went from AUTO to RGB. Why not set it to RGB in the first place and adjust the D-terminal settings? D-terminal is really hard to get right with its SATURATION and HUE controls, so that the RGB-input is a lower denominator and only needs the mentioned BRIGHTNESS adjustment.
Good to know about solving through BRIGHTNESS setting also, but I think it's best to set OUTPUT_RANGE to FULL when using OUTPUT_COLOR on AUTO (YCbCr) because 2.03 firmware AUTO is forcing limited range to YCbCr (which I think it might be ok to be limited, YCbCr probably is not "0-255"? Don't know for sure). When OUTPUT_RANGE is set to LIMITED, the final result is even less color range ("twice limited"? :D ) hence the washed out colors.

Set to full range makes it correct again, without messing with brightness (I hate setting brightness, always think that I will leave it at some not optimized setting :)

I've just found out while I was looking to solve the washed out colors on the new FW and it's perfect now. My capture card is an Blackmagic Intensity, which samples HDMI video on 4:2:2 limited range and I have "correct colors" with those settings and on the TV. Hope it helps!
Again, if you haven't set the COLOR options before just go with OUTPUT_RANGE on FULL and OUTPUT_COLOR on AUTO (YCbCr) in the first place, these are the settings I'd recommend. Additionally, with my previous post(s), I wanted to help people make a clean transition from older firmwares if they had already adjusted their settings. Actually I went back from changing BRIGHTNESS and just rised BLACK (to 7 or 8 if I recall correctly) for the RGB-input since the effect was the same without loosing maximum brightness and preventing increasment of noise. If you were on LIMITED before you could also experiment with setting the FM to FULL and leaving everything else unchanged, I don't bother with testing that though since I was on FULL before.
In any case which input you have to adjust (and if at all) really depends on which mode you used before and if your display makes a difference between YCBCR-input and RGB-input. Furthermore I recommend HDMI-output over DVI-output since scanlines work better on that mode and color space handling on DVI is still unclear.

As an important sidenote: If you switch between OUTPUT_RANGE FULL and LIMiTED make sure to switch all your equipment off and on again to see the changed correctly and avoid misinterpretations.
...aka 12345
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

FBX wrote:
NormalFish wrote:How does the masking setting work? is it pretty intuitive? I don't believe I've ever messed with it.
Not intuitive at all. It takes hours of fine-tuning to combine a mask with integer scaling. I only did it for the Genesis, and a couple of horizontal masks for some NES profiles.
lol, should've known. Don't think I'll waste my time, then.
FBX

Post by FBX »

So I've been hard at work on my new Framemeister profiles central hub. It's a page where you can download the complete profiles package, but also view individual hardware sections that detail the profile settings and 50% screenshot examples of how they should look. I've got the first 4 hardware links done, but obviously I've got a long way to go before all the pages are finished. The N64 one took me several hours to design and code, but there's an interesting tidbit of new information in there for those that hate the infamous N64 horizontal blur. Anyway, here's the main hub page:

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

Going forward, all my profile updates will be structured about the central hub once I get to the point where my backlog is finished.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Looking good. Goodluck with the PS2 ones lol. You've got quite a lot of screengrabs to compile.
FBX

Post by FBX »

NormalFish wrote:Looking good. Goodluck with the PS2 ones lol. You've got quite a lot of screengrabs to compile.
Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm going to add a sub-menu for PS2 that separates the profiles into categories like component, RGB, and PS1 mode. That way, browsers won't have to load two dozen screenshots all at once.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

So what settings would you guys recommend for 720x240p PS2 TATE titles? I can't seem to find one I'm happy with.
Eh looks like I've got it figured. Still interested to hear what you folks recommend, though.