Mimo genius 2 input.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Chogenki

Mimo genius 2 input.

Post by Chogenki »

Hi,

i'm planning to buy an mimo genius 2 for connecting a Computer with mame or other emulator to a pvm.
Does the genius 2 convert any resolution to 240P if 0 mode is selected or is it only 480P sources which are converted to 240P?
Thx for your help.
Fudoh

Re: Mimo genius 2 input.

Post by Fudoh »

Almost any, but with a 480p input you have better control about your pixel alignment. For example: If you have a game which is originall running at 224p you will never want to scaled to fullscreen, otherwise you would get a 240p output from the MIMO (without borders), while you really want a 224p output (padded to 240p in black).
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Ok thx.
so i'll be able to see my windows desktop even if i'm set with a résolution higher than 480P.
the best is to force the emulators to 640x480 i think.
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Hi,
I just get my Genius 2 but i can't manage to get a clear picture.
Here is the set up :Xbox 360 in 480p>Genius 0 mode>umsa>monitor.
I thing it is a sync problem i put an umsa for combined the sync but the picture is Rolling.
On a pvm 2950 or à 2730 which have a scart an usually Never get sync problem on this model.
I tried passive or active sync on the umsa but Nothing change.
Does somebody got an idea?
Thx.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You're in Europe, right ? You should be able to find another display with a Scart input to give it a try - just to confirm functionality.

Aside from it's auto correction settings the Genius II was really easy to use. I used the HD15 output as well and an Extron interface to convert from RGBHV to RGBs (or RBsB) - directly into my BVM.
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Ok i ll try with more standard tv but on 4 pvm it s the same problem.
What are the other way Than umsa to convert from rgbhv to rgbs?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can either use the other video output which should already provide RGBs (but at TTL levels) or you can use any of the Extron interfaces. They'll convert from RGBHV to RGBs or RGsB and normalize the video and sync levels, but they won't provide a switchting voltage like your UMSA does (or is supposed to do). But then again you don't need that on your PVMs. Just check eBay for "Extron RGB".
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Éxtron 160xi should Be ok for You?
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Do You think this cable can Be ok with a T connector for the sync:
http://www.thomann.de/fr/sommer_cable_s ... Gwod4r8Pyw
Thx
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

could work - will depend on the display. You can usually find dirt cheap BNC cables on ebay - nobody uses these any longer these days.

I would still try to find what's causing the issue. Did you try the other output modes on the GII using the HD15 output on a HD display ?
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

Yes i tried to connect to a hd tv with the Xbox in 480p and the Genius in hdready mode and it s Working.
But when i setup the Xbox in 720p or 1080p i can't downscale to 480p or 720p if set in fullhd.
I.ve got the message in italian :signal h v not supported so its a message from the mimobox and not my tv.
Does it sound normal to You ?
I was thinking that the umsa has a problem or so but i can't manage to downscale anything on an hdtv too seems strange to me...
I just ordered an extron 203 rxi ill try with that Cuz i Know You have test this solution and You Tell me it Work great.
Thx for your help.
jujukun

Post by jujukun »

I have a Mimo Genius II and I have no issue so far, neither on my BVM monitor nor on my Astro City cab.
Which cable do you use to connect the 360 to the Mimo?
Chogenki

Post by Chogenki »

The official vga cable.
I'm in touch with mimo and arcadeforge support.
I just want to Know which équipment is faulty.
So i'll wait the extron and make the test.
I'll post when i 'll Be able to figure what was the problem.
Thx a lot for your Time.
famiac

Post by famiac »

Sorry to revive an old thread

I’m trying to connect an SVGA input (800x600) to the MIMO genius ii’s vga input

I get a message (in italian) saying “HV signals not supported”
However, it works fine with my dreamcast outputting VGA (640x480)

Anybody tried running SVGA devices on this thing?

Thanks!
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Out of interest... why would you use a downscaler with a PC when CRT EMU drivers are free and the results are so much better?

I tried 3 different downscaling solutions and I was never able to get the image anywhere close to being as good as real native resolutions from Windows with CRT EMU.

You can also set crt EMU to output RGBS natively.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Classicgamer wrote:Out of interest... why would you use a downscaler with a PC when CRT EMU drivers are free and the results are so much better?
Because not all video cards are compatible with CRT Emudriver or Soft15khz - especially on laptops which you can't simply switch in a new (inexpensive) video card into. The only (sometimes available) option to circumvent this on non-compatible cards or computers is to use Linux, which is a massive undertaking all it's own.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:Out of interest... why would you use a downscaler with a PC when CRT EMU drivers are free and the results are so much better?
Because not all video cards are compatible with CRT Emudriver or Soft15khz - especially on laptops which you can't simply switch in a new (inexpensive) video card into. The only (sometimes available) option to circumvent this on non-compatible cards or computers is to use Linux, which is a massive undertaking all it's own.
It is certainly a lot harder to make a laptop output 240p. A CRT EMU compatible GPU is $10-$15 on ebay for a desktop. Have you tried on of those adapter that allow you to use a desktop GPU on a laptop?

I think it makes more sense to pick up a cheap desktop for 240p stuff. They are so cheap for used ones on eBay and the old compatible AMD cards are practically being given away.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Classicgamer wrote:I think it makes more sense to pick up a cheap desktop for 240p stuff. They are so cheap for used ones on eBay and the old compatible AMD cards are practically being given away.
I know everybody says that, but once you get into even mediocre 3d stuff (a lot of which can still be 240p), and a budget desktop might not cut it. I built a GroovyMAME computer about a year ago, 7th gen 1151 motherboard and all (newest at the time I think), think with a 3.4ghz dual core, and it couldn't even handle Time Crisis from 1995 without stuttering. Upgraded to the fastest i7-7700 the MB would take (which was overkill at nearly half of it's total cost) and it's been perfect ever since.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

famiac wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread
I’m trying to connect an SVGA input (800x600) to the MIMO genius ii’s vga input
I get a message (in italian) saying “HV signals not supported”
However, it works fine with my dreamcast outputting VGA (640x480)
Anybody tried running SVGA devices on this thing?
Thanks!
I got the same problem with all my PVMs.
DC into MIMO II via VGA cable works, same VGA cable from PC (win10, nvidia 1070 with latest drivers, DP->VGA converter) does not (most of the times).
Introducing an Extron VSC 700 (set to RGBs output) into the mix fixes the problem, but the image becomes kinda flickery (both from PC and from DC).
On the PC, for the PVM I set a custom resolution of 640x480-CTS profile to get into the VSC.

Any hint? Maybe a sync combiner that does not scale like the Extron 192 instead of the VSC could fix the problem?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The VSC convertes from ED or HD to 15khz interlaced, so it's certainly not an ideal solution.

SVGA into the Mimo might work by adding a sync processor, so you can change the sync polarity of the incoming signal, but then again trying to downscale 600p tp 240p is not ideal by any means, especially not with the Mimo's algorithm (dropping lines). 480p to 240p is a trivial task in comparison with much better results.
pedroTFP

Post by pedroTFP »

I agree, but the MIMO seems to not like 640x480p directly form PC (black screen, "HV signals not supported" error); it's driving me mad, it gives the error with all resolution., except some times it works randomly.
I think it is related to nvidia drivers dual monitor management\Win10...