RQ Pulstar, level 3

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
VTG

RQ Pulstar, level 3

Post by VTG »

Hi,
Every time I get to level 3 of Pulstar I get utterly battered right at the start. The difficulty seems to ramp right up at this point and I can't get past it. Of course, being as the game includes speed-ups and the ship's too slow from the off, if I die once, I'm shafted.
I've tried beaming and also getting my shot bar fully up by hammering the fire button, but haven't yet managed to get past this beautiful but frustrating section.
Does anyone have any tips for me? I need to see level 5, the visuals to match the Jean Michel Jarre music.
And no laughing at the back there ;)
Thanks.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

just started playing pulstar, and the difficulty does ramp up from stage3.
if i arrive there naked, here is what i do:
-until the first speed up: i use the beam to destroy the first green enemies and speed up carrier, then when there are two rows coming from behind, one high and one low, i go to the top of the screen,and move left and over the top row, then pick up the speed up.
-after that keep on the left and middle of the screen and beam until you get the 1st power up.
-when you have it, start hammering A (you don't have to do it too hard), it is better to destroy the red popcorn enemies with the rapid fire. stay left and about the middle, absorb as much as you can with your option, and when a wave is ending, escape to the right then go back left for the next one.

the mid boss is easy if you kill it very fast with charge shots, the rest of the level isn't too hard either.
VTG

Post by VTG »

Thanks, I'll try again tonight.
Funnily enough I was playing it yesterday. Managed to get almost to the end of the 3rd level, the mid-boss behemoth is great fun but not if you aren't sped up enough.
I only managed to get past the first part of the level because I hadn't died though, and had kept hold of the bounce laser from the first level.
If I arrive at level 3 naked, I'm dead. The sole problem with Pulstar is that the default ship speed is far too slow and initial speed-up isn't quite effective enough, otherwise it's a great game.
DreamerNL

Post by DreamerNL »

I was just abotu to ask the same question, LEVEL 3 KILLS ME!!!

I just re-started the level about 40-50 times and I got past that part only 2 or 3 times...made me mad like hell.

But yeah, the inital speed kills...after 2 speed-ups it's all good.

BTW, I had to set the difficulty back to level 3, it's just not fun playing if the game is SO hard...
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Hitting the button super fast will help you get through this part a lot easier. This game is definitely helped out by autofire. It's an absolute pain to hit the button as fast as needed to max out the shot bar.

The other thing (and this goes along with a lot of old school style horizontals) is just learn the level well enough that you can coast through the stages on one life with all your powerups intact. Pulstar tends to go from ridiculously hard to even scrape by, to fairly easy to 1 life the first several stages once you get things memorized. Well, let's not talk about Stage 5 on yet, but . . .
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

Rastan78 wrote:Hitting the button super fast will help you get through this part a lot easier. This game is definitely helped out by autofire. It's an absolute pain to hit the button as fast as needed to max out the shot bar.
you only have to mash it too hard whan you're at 0 power-ups. i can't fill the meter either at 0 (i don't think you're supposed to either), but you don't need it on stage 3, just kill the red zakos with your pea shot and dodge the rest.
and an autofire would be very non-default on this game.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I think you might be right. Abusing the autofire on this game could be considered kind of cheap since it actually lets you max out the shot bar even without powerups IIRC.