MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cybermat

Re: MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

Post by cybermat »

Pasky wrote:I've found GLSL produces much better results that or my HLSL settings aren't too great.
On my weecade I use Intel Hd4000 and GLSL is the only way to have CRT feeling, HLSL is pretty heavy (or drivers are not optimized) for this GPU.
CRT-GEOM and LOTTES do the trick. On my pc where i have a GTX 970, i can use HLSL and BFGX just for curiosity and comparing purposes.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

ninjabadger wrote:Could you share your settings?

Just updated to 0.172 myself.

Thanks.

Code: Select all

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
keepaspect                1
unevenstretch             0
unevenstretchx            0
intscalex                 0
intscaley                 0

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.1
pause_brightness          1.0
effect                    none
widestretch               0

#
# OSD ACCELERATED VIDEO OPTIONS
#
filter                    0
prescale                  2

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_enable               1
hlsl_oversampling         0
hlsl_write                
hlsl_snap_width           2048
hlsl_snap_height          1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.0
shadow_mask_texture       shadow-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.20
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.0
round_corner              0.0
smooth_border             0.0
reflection                0.0
vignetting                0.25
scanline_alpha            0.50
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.40
scanline_variation        1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.0
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.0
hum_bar_alpha             0.0
defocus                   0.5,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio                 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio                 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation                1.2
offset                    0.0,0.0,0.0
scale                     1.0,1.0,1.0
power                     1.0,1.0,1.0
floor                     0.1,0.1,0.1
phosphor_life             0.1,0.1,0.1

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
bloom_blend_mode          0
bloom_scale               0.150
bloom_overdrive           1.0,1.0,1.0
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.06
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.01
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Moar PNG because funk the police.

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
intscalex                 3
intscaley                 4

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          1.00
effect                    3x4rgbrutal.png

#
# OSD ACCELERATED VIDEO OPTIONS
#
filter                    0
prescale                  0
Inverted the colors order for fun, doesn't change the looks much.
Simple, doesn't look very nice when still, yet effective in terms of 'pop' and H & V motion clarity.
PNG here http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 9628059718
Modify to your taste.

(see it full size. peasants. it's on a 1080p display but I cut the sides because this is what I do.)
Note: MAME gamma slider to 0.900 or sumthin
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

that looks extremely close to the 40" Pioneer PDPs.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well I hadn't thought of that, hehe. ^^
Only exception maybe is that naturally in my case (using LCDs) some of the details disappear with motion smearing/ghosting.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

When you don't care about the horizontal pixel count it's really not complicated to imitate at least part of what those crt shaders do, with a single PNG overlay.
Also compared to the other png's I've made it's more flexible since the method works with more integer factors.
What's really delicate though is to find the right rgb and black tones, because the stronger you make them the easier it is to give a 'shape', but the darker the whole picture will be of course.

But again if this looks really great on a big and bright display, most of the little details visible on still screens disappear with the typical LCD smearing/blur when things start moving. And again it's not vertical and diagonal movement friendly.
Here it's 4x5 (the default overscanned integer for Capcom games on a 1080 display) using a 3x5 png, only RGB and black strips, mixed using alpha transparencies.
Filtering and prescale off as usual.
darker;
I'll post the details when I find a better balance.

Looking into this made me realize why people add so much smoothing, bleeding and shit to their shaders (chains or not) when doing without is actually much better for clarity and closer to how a real rgb crt in good shape looks like.
The screens you see up there like most of the examples I've posted before, definitely look better in a real environment, in this case this is intended for using with a mid-sized TV (42") from a chair approximately 4~5 feet away (1,5m) looking big/overscanned for convenience.
From that distance or even further the crt effect shape looks much more natural than what you're seeing there up close.
But people most of the time - I'm guessing - are using crt shaders on their PC monitors sitting 20"/50cm away, which naturally doesn't help it looking nice if a kind of artificial smoothing/defocus is not added to make it look less 'rough'. They're forgetting maybe that most crts often look fucking rough too when you stick your nose on them, and that neither home sets nor arcade monitors used fancy high tvl broadcast tubes.
Also I think many saw a good number of shared close-up pictures of crt tubes, often looking softer and less contrasted than live working tubes do.
All-in-all I think there's something else to explore, and maybe get over the currently slightly wrong conception of what crt simulation on LCDs should be, minding how crts behave IRL/live and the limitations most LCDs unfortunately still show.
Personally I'm still just experimenting things with png overlays despite the limitations of it, again it's not an end solution though people using very cpu/gpu power-limited setups might like it, but I'm still struck very often by how satisfying such a lightweight and simple method can be, even defeating heavyweight 'elite' shaders in practice during gameplay if not in screenshots contests. :p
I'm almost picturing shaders or whatever made/configured for specific types and sizes of LCDs, minding their specs (Hz, backlighting, response, max brightness, coating, etc) and even sitting distance and room environment in mind.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Xyga wrote:When you don't care about the horizontal pixel count it's really not complicated to imitate at least part of what those crt shaders do, with a single PNG overlay.
Also compared to the other png's I've made it's more flexible since the method works with more integer factors.
What's really delicate though is to find the right rgb and black tones, because the stronger you make them the easier it is to give a 'shape', but the darker the whole picture will be of course.

But again if this looks really great on a big and bright display, most of the little details visible on still screens disappear with the typical LCD smearing/blur when things start moving. And again it's not vertical and diagonal movement friendly.
Here it's 4x5 (the default overscanned integer for Capcom games on a 1080 display) using a 3x5 png, only RGB and black strips, mixed using alpha transparencies.
Filtering and prescale off as usual.
darker;
I'll post the details when I find a better balance.

Looking into this made me realize why people add so much smoothing, bleeding and shit to their shaders (chains or not) when doing without is actually much better for clarity and closer to how a real rgb crt in good shape looks like.
The screens you see up there like most of the examples I've posted before, definitely look better in a real environment, in this case this is intended for using with a mid-sized TV (42") from a chair approximately 4~5 feet away (1,5m) looking big/overscanned for convenience.
From that distance or even further the crt effect shape looks much more natural than what you're seeing there up close.
But people most of the time - I'm guessing - are using crt shaders on their PC monitors sitting 20"/50cm away, which naturally doesn't help it looking nice if a kind of artificial smoothing/defocus is not added to make it look less 'rough'. They're forgetting maybe that most crts often look fucking rough too when you stick your nose on them, and that neither home sets nor arcade monitors used fancy high tvl broadcast tubes.
Also I think many saw a good number of shared close-up pictures of crt tubes, often looking softer and less contrasted than live working tubes do.
All-in-all I think there's something else to explore, and maybe get over the currently slightly wrong conception of what crt simulation on LCDs should be, minding how crts behave IRL/live and the limitations most LCDs unfortunately still show.
Personally I'm still just experimenting things with png overlays despite the limitations of it, again it's not an end solution though people using very cpu/gpu power-limited setups might like it, but I'm still struck very often by how satisfying such a lightweight and simple method can be, even defeating heavyweight 'elite' shaders in practice during gameplay if not in screenshots contests. :p
I'm almost picturing shaders or whatever made/configured for specific types and sizes of LCDs, minding their specs (Hz, backlighting, response, max brightness, coating, etc) and even sitting distance and room environment in mind.
Hmm i would if this method would work well for RetroArch on Raspberry Pi 3, as that system still isnt powerfully enough to use shaders with?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I don't know for sure, the artwork/PNG overlay system has been in place since 0.107 as far as I remember, and it is practically weightless as far as I know.
(when a shader can eat about 30% more cpu time if not worse, a simple overlay like that probably adds only 1% or something).

The thing with RetroArch is that it basically shuts off lots of MAME's controls and functionalities (which is why I gave up on it) and unless they're effectively added back to RA's own list of commands I don't think there's anything you can do.
Using PNG overlays require an useable mame.ini, and a mame ini folder otherwise it's not manageable (you can make inis per game or per driver [thanks Fudoh], it's actually quick easy and powerful).
With this you can make whatever settings - and that includes PNGs - apply to whatever hardware or game you want, there isn't really any other way to do it since this system works with fixed resolutions and files, and you don't want/can't use a single configuration for all.

Unfortunately, as you have understood of course, this system exists only within MAME, so it won't work with other 'cores' unless someone decides to 'port' it to RA itself.

EDIT: by the way this works with D3D but I don't know with OGL, never tried.
EDIT2: lol actually it hit me that RA's already got its overlay system, completely forgot about it. ^^ This was discussed here quite a while ago: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3009
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Xyga wrote:Unfortunately, as you have understood of course, this system exists only within MAME, so it won't work with other 'cores' unless someone decides to 'port' it to RA itself.

EDIT: by the way this works with D3D but I don't know with OGL, never tried.
EDIT2: lol actually it hit me that RA's already got its overlay system, completely forgot about it. ^^ This was discussed here quite a while ago: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3009
Well theres the overlay option in RetroArch which can use this PNG file sure?, i wasnt thinking just for MAME but console games aswell??
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Well apparently they do work with every core since that guy posted a few examples (Zelda III, Sonic) and the FAQ mentions PNG files.
I've never tried because I was focused on shaders back then, actually I don't know if it's still there (my RA build is old)...you should probably ask over at libretro.
The system overall seems to be close to MAME's since there are many parameters for all sorts of placement settings and stuff (saw it somewhere in the FAQ), but I guess just sticking to using custom integer output and PNGs that match them doesn't require to do more than what is required w/ MAME.
I'm only wondering about how to manage saving different settings for different cores/games...

PS: also wanted to add that it's easy to get extremely similar results to what I've posted just up there using easymode for instance, it's relatively lightweight and doesn't produce much lag if any (I think).
However the issue remains that it's impossible to get over setting bright/light scanlines without the mask effect showing how color strips displacement (non-alignment with H pixels) hurts the picture quality. The difference between the first and second SFII screenshots illustrates this: in the first one it looks a bit unnatural/odd because the abnormal colors placement shows a bit too much.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Xyga wrote:Well apparently they do work with every core since that guy posted a few examples (Zelda III, Sonic) and the FAQ mentions PNG files.
I've never tried because I was focused on shaders back then, actually I don't know if it's still there (my RA build is old)...you should probably ask over at libretro.
The system overall seems to be close to MAME's since there are many parameters for all sorts of placement settings and stuff (saw it somewhere in the FAQ), but I guess just sticking to using custom integer output and PNGs that match them doesn't require to do more than what is required w/ MAME.
I'm only wondering about how to manage saving different settings for different cores/games...

PS: also wanted to add that it's easy to get extremely similar results to what I've posted just up there using easymode for instance, it's relatively lightweight and doesn't produce much lag if any (I think).
However the issue remains that it's impossible to get over setting bright/light scanlines without the mask effect showing how color strips displacement (non-alignment with H pixels) hurts the picture quality. The difference between the first and second SFII screenshots illustrates this: in the first one it looks a bit unnatural/odd because the abnormal colors placement shows a bit too much.
You can set a png overlay to be used for each individual core....and i think now even a specific game!!!, so that wont be an issue at all

Yeah i have tried easy-modes shader but even that is too much for the feeble onboard GPU of the Rpi3.....hopefully Rpi4 will have a boost to the memory (at leas 2GB) and the GPU!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Nice! Though per-game might be tedious with the MAME core if you have a lot of games in your folder, but it's better than nothing I guess.
accaris

Post by accaris »

Resurrecting this thread because I'm having an issue with MAME 1.74. It absolutely refuses to apply my HLSL settings.

EDIT: NVM, I figured out there was a conflict between old and new version of MAME.
DerekMoore

Post by DerekMoore »

I'm running MAMEUI64 .174 on a 1920x1080 LCD, this is how it looks with my HLSL settings. Opinions? Any tips? Or is it nice?
DerekMoore

Post by DerekMoore »

Floob

Post by Floob »

lettuce wrote: You can set a png overlay to be used for each individual core....and i think now even a specific game!!!, so that wont be an issue at all

Yeah i have tried easy-modes shader but even that is too much for the feeble onboard GPU of the Rpi3.....hopefully Rpi4 will have a boost to the memory (at leas 2GB) and the GPU!
Here is a video of a Pi3 running MAME overlays and shaders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvSrrdV5VeU

I'm writing up the configs to distribute at the moment (should cover about 250 games).
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

^ I think we were talking about using the overlay system in RA for producing the scanlines/crt effects, because unlike shaders those are extremely lightweight.
So 100% .png and nothing else.

Also I dunno if it's the video's scaling but on your demo the scanlines seem uneven with pretty much every game, personally I try to force integer scaling every time it is doable.
Floob

Post by Floob »

For just overlays with scanlines built in, its easier with consoles as you can fairly reliably know the resolution. I put that together here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1_GMAvCdc

I guess the 'issue' with arcade games is that as their resolutions differ so often you would need a lot of dedicated overlays. Totally doable though.
Have you seen these (non-scanline)?
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5085

As an aside here is the Pi shader that generates scanlines and curvature etc..
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4937
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Actually integer scaling is key, you don't have to know the resolutions.
And as long as you're not willing to add effects where the horizontal pixel count matters, like when using RGB colors for fake mask effects, then only the vertical factor matters, so you can have only a few .png's ready for the usual integer factors that fit your display, like 3x, 4x, 5x etc.
With only those three png's the only job remaining is to make .ini's for drivers or games independently, which takes only a few minutes to cover most, and creating new ones is only a matter of copy-pasting and changing the integer values.
You can also make a set specifically for vertical games in yoko, and if you're willing to have RGB/mask effect you can still make some for specific targets.

Once you're used to it it's very quick and easy, but of course excludes fancy effects like curvature etc (btw that shader for the Pi is nice indeed!)
The bad side is that it's not really a good method when using a display of rather low resolution like HD-ready ones, because some arcade games won't have useable integer scaling values (either too small or too big).

PS: about the arcade overlays + crt simu combinations here I may have a problem with the example picture sizes and videos, or I don't know what, but everything I'm seeing seems to have lots of artifacts, either due to uneven scaling or the curvature effect.
Floob

Post by Floob »

I may need to play with the shader config some more, his notes are:

This shader is designed to work well on Raspberry Pi GPUs (i.e. 1080P @ 60Hz on a game with a 4:3 aspect ratio). It pushes the Pi's GPU hard and enabling some features will slow it down so that it is no longer able to match 1080P @ 60Hz. You will need to overclock your Pi to the fastest setting in raspi-config to get the best results from this shader: 'Pi2' for Pi2 and 'Turbo' for original Pi and Pi Zero. Note: Pi2s are slower at running the shader than other Pis, this seems to be down to Pi2s lower maximum memory speed. Pi2s don't quite manage 1080P @ 60Hz - they drop about 1 in 1000 frames. You probably won't notice this, but if you do, try enabling FAKE_GAMMA.

SCANLINES enables scanlines. You'll almost certainly want to use it with MULTISAMPLE to reduce moire effects. SCANLINE_WEIGHT defines how wide scanlines are (it is an inverse value so a higher number = thinner lines). SCANLINE_GAP_BRIGHTNESS defines how dark the gaps between the scan lines are. Darker gaps between scan lines make moire effects more likely.

GAMMA enables gamma correction using the values in INPUT_GAMMA and OUTPUT_GAMMA. FAKE_GAMMA causes it to ignore the values in INPUT_GAMMA and OUTPUT_GAMMA and approximate gamma correction in a way which is faster than true gamma whilst still looking better than having none. You must have GAMMA defined to enable FAKE_GAMMA.

CURVATURE distorts the screen by CURVATURE_X and CURVATURE_Y. Curvature slows things down a lot.

By default the shader uses linear blending horizontally. If you find this too blury, enable SHARPER.

BLOOM_FACTOR controls the increase in width for bright scanlines.

MASK_TYPE defines what, if any, shadow mask to use. MASK_BRIGHTNESS defines how much the mask type darkens the screen.
Although as I am using the bezels from the link above I cant always use integer scaling as it would be too small or too big for the fixed 1080p assumed res - unless the overlays scaled perfectly I guess.
I think there will always be a degree of compromise with this approach with the custom bezels. I agree, I do like overlays with built in scanlines, it just seems unlikely that I will be able to find custom bezels (with the original artwork) for MAME that factors that in - many of the retroarch.cfg in this case are specifying a custom resolution and x/y position.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I want to get rid of "screen tearing", activating one of these 3 options do the trick, but which one should i use, or avoid?

Tripe buffering
Sync to monitor refresh
Wait for Vertical sync
Blair

Post by Blair »

Xyga wrote: But again if this looks really great on a big and bright display, most of the little details visible on still screens disappear with the typical LCD smearing/blur when things start moving. And again it's not vertical and diagonal movement friendly.
I know what you mean when it comes to motion blur/ black smearing being extremely irritating on LCDs

but I found that enabling game mode on (at least on most Samsung LCD displays) actually mitigates quite a bit of that, not to mention that most displays have a certain warm-up. For them to have the least amount of smearing (usually around 30 - 70 minutes, of course that sucks if you only have a short amount of time to play games and you don't want to leave your TV on all day to keep the pixel response time warmed up) (also using the panel's native resolution helps a lot)

I use a pretty aggressive scanline shader on my 40 inch Samsung LCD (LN40 2010 model IPS) (in game made with all extra processing features turned off) and after about an hour of warm-up I get almost no smearing and details during motion are fairly well preserved.

have you ever tried the "tvout+interlacing" shader? it has a very interesting internal resolution setting (and the latest versions have amazing scanline support for large integer resolutions)

(in regards to TVs though some of the 2011 and 2012 LED models I tested had terrible smearing and ghosting no matter how long they had been left on for. so its something watch out for)

another thing I've noticed with retroarch, is that I have to turn on and off integer scaling every time I load a new game to get the settings just perfect (as some games have different resolutions even on the same system)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Blair wrote:I know what you mean when it comes to motion blur/ black smearing being extremely irritating on LCDs

but I found that enabling game mode on (at least on most Samsung LCD displays) actually mitigates quite a bit of that, not to mention that most displays have a certain warm-up. For them to have the least amount of smearing (usually around 30 - 70 minutes, of course that sucks if you only have a short amount of time to play games and you don't want to leave your TV on all day to keep the pixel response time warmed up) (also using the panel's native resolution helps a lot)

I use a pretty aggressive scanline shader on my 40 inch Samsung LCD (LN40 2010 model IPS) (in game made with all extra processing features turned off) and after about an hour of warm-up I get almost no smearing and details during motion are fairly well preserved.

Oh ? I thought it was a thing with VA panels mainly, but I didn't even consider it might be with IPS too.
Blair wrote:have you ever tried the "tvout+interlacing" shader? it has a very interesting internal resolution setting (and the latest versions have amazing scanline support for large integer resolutions)
Nope. But you got me interested.
Blair wrote:(in regards to TVs though some of the 2011 and 2012 LED models I tested had terrible smearing and ghosting no matter how long they had been left on for. so its something watch out for)
Yeah practically every early LED-backlit set had awful response times and the crappiest slow PWM. Still a thing today though, gotta be careful when buying.
Blair wrote:another thing I've noticed with retroarch, is that I have to turn on and off integer scaling every time I load a new game to get the settings just perfect (as some games have different resolutions even on the same system)
They haven't fixed that yet ? *facepalm*
Blair

Post by Blair »

there's a lot of things they still haven't fixed yet.... (developers seem to be focused on other much less useful endeavors for now)

otherwise though it's still probably one of the best ways to play various games with shader effects applied

when I get a chance later tonight I'll post some pictures a few shaders I've been editing for good results
Blair

Post by Blair »

here's some experiments I did with shaders on LCDs to see how close I could match them to my CRTs.

[album link: https://imgur.com/a/8uBXG]

first up is a Sony PVM – 14m2u and the Asus VW246h

Sony PVM – 14m2u (CRT)
Spoiler
Asus VW246h (LCD)
(I added a little too much bloom for this pic, but after adjusting that it's 99% perfect)
Spoiler

next up is a Sony PVM - 14L5 and the Samsung LN40 (awesome gaming television by the way)

Sony PVM - 14L5 (CRT)
Spoiler

Samsung LN40 (LCD)
Spoiler

with this option you can adjust to the TVL or lines of resolution to match the tube your attempting to emulate (for instance most of the time I use 800 to emulate a Sony PVM 20L5 which has 800TVL)
Spoiler

adjust this option if you want to create thicker more BVM like scanlines (also set your TV out signal to 1000+ lines)
Spoiler

this shader also has support for alternating scanlines, so you can get that accurate CRT look with mixed resolution games (sonic the hedgehog 2, Silent Hill, Tekken 3)
Last edited by Blair on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Heres the current HLSL settings im using...

Blair

Post by Blair »

whoa, that looks really nice. is that widescreen?

but it's still relatively in proportion, I don't see any weird stretching.

nice job!
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Blair wrote:whoa, that looks really nice. is that widescreen?

but it's still relatively in proportion, I don't see any weird stretching.

nice job!
Nah im using integer scaling...

#
# CORE RENDER OPTIONS
#
intoverscan               0
intscalex                 6
intscaley                 6
Blair

Post by Blair »

ah, fantastic!

I'm also using integer scaling with my shader presets, although I usually employ a bit of overscan compensation. I think it looks really great. (I also like combining this with de-dithering to get some awesome transparency effects)

sort of unrelated, but do you try any sound enhancements? for some arcade games with low-quality audio samples I've found that using some digital filtering can really help. not to mention some bass boosting with a good subwoofer
Mame4Life

Post by Mame4Life »

My (custom BGFX, by editing the shader chain) settings currently using with MAME: