Future funding of the forum

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
system11

Future funding of the forum

Post by system11 »

Hi all,

Well - things at my job have changed and I won't have as much money as I used to going forward. That means I'm looking at all my outgoings and trying to make changes where I can, and one of the areas to look at is the forum hosting.

A few years ago very generous donors helped us to buy a really good physical server which we're running on now. However, the monthy cost for co-locating this is £72 per month, so x12 and it costs me £864 ($1233) per year to run, which I've been paying for the past decade. The total donations across the last year were: $123 - no I didn't make those numbers up, they just kind of fell in that pattern.

I'd like to look for opinions on the following ideas:
1) Offer hosting to another forum/site to split the cost - of course there would need to /be/ another forum who want this kind of hosting option. The capacity is there, it's hugely over spec.
2) Run a Patreon - would people sign up to this? I don't know if this would count as a second income and be taxed at the highest rate though.
3) Sign up with viglinks - again not sure of the tax ramifications.
4) Add 'supporter' badges as seen on some other forums.
5) Downgrading significantly to some kind of virtual server option. I'd be interested in input from people currently doing this, at the last place we did that I used to get regular nastygrams about the size of the database.

What do you think?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
supabok

Re: Future funding of the forum

Post by supabok »

Working in the cloud server space, I'd def recommend the last option you stated.

Let's you scale up the number of instances, based on traffic, as you need. Plus you don't incur the overhead of maintaing a physical server/space. There is a bit more setup involved to get it running, but once you're up, you should be golden.

As well, for areas that rarely get visited, you could have that on a single instance serving what little traffic it gets while another instance serves up the heavier trafficked areas.

Just my .02 cents ;)

p.s. if you ever decide to move away from php and into something like Node lemme know ;)
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I'd suggest trying to have an annual funding drive with some sort of digital reward for each account that gives certain amounts. Maybe if people contribute each year without fail, there's another sort of reward.. I guess those are the badges you mention. They do that at gamerswithjobs.com..

I'll donate extra if you implement the ability to ignore users. Over time I just got annoyed with certain posters and just don't follow the forum (much) any longer.
Last edited by brentsg on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
mastercello

Post by mastercello »

In my opinion no. 4) and 5) sounds good to me!
rancor

Post by rancor »

They all sound fine to me, so whatever is easiest for you is best. You can count on my support (financial, or otherwise!)
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

I'd be more than happy to support a Patreon or pay into some sort of supporter programme.

As someone who isn't very familiar with web hosting - would option 5 mean losing the existing forum content?
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

definitely downgrading to what's neccessary without impacting the performance.

Once you got that done, let us know what the costs are and I'm sure you'll find enough support. I'm definitely in. Personally I'm not a fan of monthly payments, so if you're looking into Patreon, try to offer something else as well. Some kind of bling (4) can't hurt.....
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I don't know shit about the technical side, but would be happy to help things going forward.
Last edited by Stevens on Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

You can count on me to throw in.

Switching to a VPS with enough bandwidth and DB freedom to support the site, plus an annual funding drive to cover the cost sounds like a good combo.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Mero

Post by Mero »

Yeah, funding drive plus whatever else you need to do.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I'll give monies too !

As long as stuff like the old attached pictures and links don't get filtered out during the switch; anything's good.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

I'd have no problem throwing a couple bucks a month your way.

As of today there's 13060 members, lets say 10% are regular forum users, so 1306 users, at a buck a year... more than covers it.
Koop

Post by Koop »

supabok wrote:Working in the cloud server space, I'd def recommend the last option you stated.

Let's you scale up the number of instances, based on traffic, as you need. Plus you don't incur the overhead of maintaing a physical server/space. There is a bit more setup involved to get it running, but once you're up, you should be golden.

As well, for areas that rarely get visited, you could have that on a single instance serving what little traffic it gets while another instance serves up the heavier trafficked areas.

Just my .02 cents ;)

p.s. if you ever decide to move away from php and into something like Node lemme know ;)
As someone who also works in the same IT space I agree with the above. No reason to not go virtual.
nem

Post by nem »

broken harbour wrote:As of today there's 13060 members, lets say 10% are regular forum users, so 1306 users, at a buck a year... more than covers it.
You'll never get 10% to pay a buck. More like 0.5% or less.

As much as I like that the forum is super fast to load, the current setup seems over kill.

Number 5) would be my choice.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Downgrading seems like a good idea if you have people that can help you figure it out, and I'd be more than happy to keep contributing monetarily. (I admittedly often forget how long it's been since the last time I did :()
Kilmaattikahn

Post by Kilmaattikahn »

Another vote against recurring payments, it's OK if you add them as an option but I personally prefer funding drives via sticky threads like these. Nag us every so often, I forget to donate for long periods of time unless reminded.

If you change hosting/forum software, please avoid JS-heavy stuff and Tor-blocking CDNs (Cloudflare, etc).
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I have donated in the past and have no issues in donating in future to keep the forum up and running.

I'm sure something like a raffle for a shmup item would entice a couple of would be donaters to donate too :P
More Bromances = safer people
drboom

Post by drboom »

I think a funding drive would be a great way to do it. I would definitely donate. Honestly, after I donated when the button went up, I never thought of it again and I happily will contribute knowing its needed.
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Should set it up so you have to do a yearly $5 or you can't use the marketplace. All of the people with like 10 posts who creep the marketplace for deals would surly pay the fee along with all the long standing members.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Strikers1945guy wrote:Should set it up so you have to do a yearly $5 or you can't use the marketplace. All of the people with like 10 posts who creep the marketplace for deals would surly pay the fee along with all the long standing members.
I support this idea.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

You could get a DreamHost account for $15/month. You have done the same thing I have done, which is overpay for my hosting because I have had it for so long. I just transitioned xona.com to DreamHost, if you want to check out the speed and whatnot. Transitioning over is a huge pain in the ass. But worth it to save this money.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
BIL

Post by BIL »

Second/thirding etc the regular donation drive idea. Would help keep me and no doubt fellow shitbirds honest. :oops: :wink:
Strikers1945guy wrote:Should set it up so you have to do a yearly $5 or you can't use the marketplace. All of the people with like 10 posts who creep the marketplace for deals would surly pay the fee
Also, stamp 'em with a badge of shame removable upon donation. :lol:
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Be happy to donate if that's the way forward :D
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Tarma wrote:Be happy to donate if that's the way forward :D
+1
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Where's the donation button/topic/thing? If I'd known donations were a thing I'd have donated /something/ by now. Don't generally have a lot, but I can spare at least 5 bucks a month for sure.
Kilmaattikahn

Post by Kilmaattikahn »

Top-right corner of every page.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

You could also try a yearly donation run like Wikipedia does. It helps raise everyone's attention to the issue.
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Problem with the donation thing is 80% of the people who actively lurk the forum and trading station would never donate. If you made a mandatory $10 a year in order to view and use the trading station I guarantee you'll see way more money coming your way to cover the site. All of the members who have been here for years but only have 30 posts ALL in the trading station would be forced to pay the fee so they can keep browsing it everyday hoping to scoop up a rare game or a good deal. All the regulars would be happy to donate the $10 regardless.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

I would vote against mandatory donation to view the site, to leave it open to newcomers. The users with a few posts still add value to the site. It is good to be in touch with more than only the hardcore posters. The value of this site varies for different people. Most people do not donate to Wikipedia, but enough do to handle the costs. I would vote for non-mandatory donation, only because I feel it will continue to grow the site.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

Also, I would push for cheaper hosting too. I already mentioned this, however I mean I would focus on both cheaper hosting and donation/fees together. A penny saved is a penny earned.