RQ: Gunbird2 , needs TIPS for using AINE

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
shmupnewb

RQ: Gunbird2 , needs TIPS for using AINE

Post by shmupnewb »

I'm having trouble using AINE effectively in Gunbird 2... I'm keep thinking that he has something that that makes him a good character, because in Tengai he was an awesome character thx to his charge attack and bomb. but in gunbird2 he seems quite weak. he's really fast but his attacks seem kinda weak. his bomb is defensive, his charge attack is limited, and his melee attack has crap range. am i right in thinking that he's one of the weaker characters or am i just using him poorly?
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

When I use Aine I rarely use his charge shot. I only use it on certain points where I know tougher enemies are coming out, and I drop a charge shot, while I move somewhere else. His level three charge shot will take out most bosses, but it's risky while charging the meter, since you can't close-range attack certain enemies.

I think the key to his success is knowing how to use his melee attack, and when to lay down the charge shot. His melee is very powerful. With his speed, he can easily go around quickly to melee people. Also you can sweep side to side very quickly, and it's helpful in certain situations(1-3 England before the boss, and 1-6 before the statues).

I've noticed that where to use the charge shot or melee attack is the same for all characters. Only difference is some are easier than others.
shmupnewb

Post by shmupnewb »

Thanks for the advice

after playing some more w/ him i think aine's speed and melee attack are very good. i got much better results utilizing his melee against bosses
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

There are certain parts of bosses that should be left alone, otherwise meaner patterns will follow.

Leave one of the 1-3 USA boss's arm alone. If you destroy both arms, it will shoot more crap. But be sure to destroy one of the arms as quickly as possibe though. The best way to get both arms without worrying about the meaner patterns that follow from destroying both arms is to weaken the body, then melee attack the remaining arm and sliding into the body, destroying both.

The 1-5 boss first form with the two spinning things. Destroy one is good. Destroy them both and the boss will really let loose.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Check out the superplay up on superplay.uk. This guy clears the game with no bombs used, no lives lost, breaks the chain only once (in 2-5!) and milks all the bosses in the first round as well as the two bosses in 2-7. Unreal. Probably the best display of shooter skills I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty. I was getting neauseated watching him take his time with the final boss.

The players initials at the end are GOD and I do believe it has to be Him.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

It must be the world record?
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Yes it is.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

According to AIVA's Gamest / Arcadia database, that video you watched was his WR run.

Code: Select all

GUNBIRD 2
(VHS SUPER PLAY ~DAYTONA III~)     GOD HAND     AINE     5.322.600     AUTOFIRE NO MISS NO BOMB MAX 168
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

anyone else having problems downloading off superplay?
I have no sig whatsoever.
Dale

Post by Dale »

captain ahar wrote:anyone else having problems downloading off superplay?

Yeah I tried downloading the GOD HAND video and my computer stops downloading at 60%.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

any file i try to get, my browser can't even connect to super-play...
I have no sig whatsoever.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I need tips for how to select Aine in the MAME version =/ I tried going into the maintenence mode and entering the code, which yielded a bunch of new menus, but once I reset the game (which I have to do), it all goes away, and thus I can't select Aine.

Anyone know what to do?

Edit: nevermind, I figured it out. You have to start the game through the stage select screen. No random stage when choosing Aine I guess =/ Unless choosing stage 3 and "Full Game" will still take you through stages 1 and 2. Then you can just randomize it with a six sided die or something -_^
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Arvandor wrote:I need tips for how to select Aine in the MAME version =/ I tried going into the maintenence mode and entering the code, which yielded a bunch of new menus, but once I reset the game (which I have to do), it all goes away, and thus I can't select Aine.

Anyone know what to do?
Enter maintenance code 51024. It should say "Sit an AINE Flag2" (sic). Then exit the test menu. The initial self-test screen will now say "AINE OK" in addition to the other test results. Once you've done this, you can select Aine by moving the cursor to the random-select box and pressing down. If this doesn't work, there's something wrong with your MAME setup.
finisherr

Re: RQ: Gunbird2 , needs TIPS for using AINE

Post by finisherr »

Has anyone noticed how the coins bling before he even grabs them?
Shepardus

Re: RQ: Gunbird2 , needs TIPS for using AINE

Post by Shepardus »

You mean in this video? I think it's just a bit of desynchronization between the audio and video.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube