Kickstarter projects of note

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Skykid

Re: Kickstarter projects of note

Post by Skykid »

BulletMagnet wrote:In case anyone didn't already see it, Shenmue 3.
Finally! Take my fucking money!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Do you think this would "end the story", or set the scene for more Shenmue? I never played Shenmue 2 so I don't know if this was always meant as a trilogy or something.
nissling

Post by nissling »

If I remember correctly Suzuki Yu once stated that he would need at least two additional games to finish the series. The first two games consists of seven chapters whereas the entire game series is supposed to have sixteen.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Apparently Shenmue 3 hit its 2 million dollar initial goal in less than 10 hours. :shock:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

EmperorIng wrote:Do you think this would "end the story", or set the scene for more Shenmue? I never played Shenmue 2 so I don't know if this was always meant as a trilogy or something.
My guess is he will make III and then go back to kickstarter for future games.

I was thinking of this as well.
BulletMagnet wrote:Apparently Shenmue 3 hit its 2 million dollar initial goal in less than 10 hours. :shock:
Insanity. Amazing insanity.

Gives me hope for the future of the industry.
My lord, I have come for you.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

BulletMagnet wrote:Apparently Shenmue 3 hit its 2 million dollar initial goal in less than 10 hours. :shock:
What else did you expect from the Shenmue fanbase?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

DestroyTheCore wrote:
What else did you expect from the Shenmue fanbase?
You do realise when Shenmue came out it flopped because gamers are assholes (a trend even more prominent today) and only bought PS2s?

It wasn't until long after its release and demise that it developed a following too big to be called a cult. I wouldn't consider it a 'fanbase' either - just a bunch of folks who would like to see the story wrapped. Either way, it's testament to the game's allure that it hit its goal that fast.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

This seems pretty cool:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... rt-academy

However something with the video rubbed me the wrong way so I didn't jump on it directly.
I love me some pixelart and I'd love to get some motivation to try my hand at it again but not sure if this is it... :?
CHECKPOINT!
the_last_shmupper

Post by the_last_shmupper »

As an outsider that has never played Shenmue, I think part of its charm and cult appeal is how Resident Evil 1 terrible the voice acting is. I can understand why they're both classics and landmark games, but I also think of how Internet popular Chuck Norris and Steven Segal are.
Sgt.Wafer

Post by Sgt.Wafer »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... s-nightwar

As a fan of Battle Chasers and Joe Madureira's art style in general I was excited to here about this Kickstarter yesterday. It looks quite promising, also some of the Darksiders (Vigil) people are working on it too.

Needles to say I already backed it.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Can't believe I missed the Battletech kickstarter. Super excited about that, especially since it's not that juvenile Clan shit that the later Mechwarrior games descended into. I loved all the House Kurita, House Steiner intrigue of the original Inner Sphere setting... I used to play the old Crescent Hawks PC games a lot, as a kid. Why didn't anyone ever re-make the Crescent Hawk's Inception, I always wondered. It was obviously incomplete but the basic framework of a rpg/mech combat hybrid had sooo much potential. Loved that game. I remember in some random scavenging I somehow got an all-powerful Autocannon. Hardly had any ammo and no Mech shop would fill it up, but it was this glorious mysterious thing. Memorieeesss....
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not actually on Kickstarter, but Double Fine are crowdfunding for Psychonauts 2.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Laugh if you want, but a sterilizing wand that keeps bacteria from growing and stinking up shoes is a gift from heaven:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45 ... ry_popular
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Not a kickstarter, but super important. ShouTime's started a Patreon to help fund his acquiring and dumping of unreleased and hyper-rare arcade games. I suggest you become a patron too. https://www.patreon.com/ShouTime
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Dual Gear, a Front Mission + Valkyria Chronicles-esque TBS from Thailand
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dual ... ion-game#/
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This looks like a fuckton of drunken fun:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ba ... ?ref=video
My lord, I have come for you.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Absolutely luscious ink project by the extremely talented Yangtian Li:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iron ... 13573824#/

The early bird brass tier is a steal (literally 50c/pc), though I went for an original, myself. Pure armored girl goodness--back this shit.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Isn't Hyper Light Drifter out today? Anyone played it?

Critics love it, but it's indi, so of course they do. I'm curious as to what some of you guys think.
Last edited by evil_ash_xero on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

dang, forgot to post it up here, but ended up backing knights & bikes at the beginning of this month for the digital ps4 & pc and special credits reward.

theme sorta reminds me of costume quest, but it was mainly inspired by the goonies and earthbound.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fo ... escription
a creature... half solid half gas
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I didn't back Hyper Light Drifter, but am interested in it. I'd need to see some more game footage or some reviews to make a purchase.

Speaking of backing, a few pages or so I talked about Night Cry, the "spiritual sequel" to Clock Tower by the series director. Well it came out, and runs like shit on my 4-year old laptop. This makes me sad... I need to find some way of updating drivers or something. Or try to get a steam key or something.

I did watch my brother play it for a few hours, though.

Some impressions:

The game isn't scary. In fact, it's funny as shit so far. The game is blissfully unaware of how bizarre it is: e.g. the first puzzle is the cruise-ship owner (Who "tries to make sure guests feel comfortable") asks you to boil his prosthetic eye. There is very little horror for the first ten or so minutes, and then BOOM, out of nowhere, a vending machine eats someone. Your character takes all this stuff in with great stoicism, often eliciting more emotion making sarcastic jokes about buckets ("Ugh, like this bucket is totally going to save me") or daydreaming about her favorite snack, pretzels. The whole game is like a weird Japanese interpretation of what "normal" American life must be like: you browse through the tweets of a dead man's phone ("Can't believe my gf is still sleeping. Crazy! =)" or something like that), and you get a phone-call from one of the dead guy's coworkers, saying "John, you are an irreplaceable electrician." Character models are angled such a way to always be staring at Monica's ginormous breasts.

The game as it stands is really glitchy. Controls are entirely-mouse-driven, which makes its dramatic camera angles a pain for turning Monica around when being chased. Her hair also glitches out all over the place, which is amusing. One time the Scissorma- I mean Scissor Walker got stuck in a room clipping against the door, keeping the game locked into "escape mode" even though there was nothing to escape from... until you found one of the trigger objects that scares him away, in which he magically teleported a few feet from you. (I actually hear this bug was just patched, which unfortunately deprives players of a wonderfully glitchy experience)

The game clearly demonstrates the fact that it had almost no budget ($300,000 in total I think), and is a bit unstable. But I will be lying if I said it wasn't entertaining so far. Everything is presented so earnestly... It really thinks it's pulling off a jump scare to have a body suddenly hang from a ceiling fan goofily spinning around. It really tries to sell you on the tension of giant-titted Monica awkwardly throwing a vase at Scissor Walker (a slo-mo direct headshot no less, she has "killer" aim). Another plus: the game seems to boast numerous branching paths and outcomes, a la Clock Tower. In fact, the weird and cumbersome controls are reminiscent of the PS1 clock tower games as well.

I don't think I'd recommend it now until its been polished (they are fixing up bugs for the game already). But once it does (or maybe it goes on sale) I'd probably say pick it up, because the game is so weird and silly that you'll probably have a good time.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

@Emperoring - Thanks so much for reminding me about this game! Your description makes it sound so promising. Really hope it works on something I own...
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Isn't Hyper Light Drifter out today? Anyone played it?

Critics love it, but it's indi, so of course they do. I'm curious as to what some of you guys think.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1178197

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1178210

tl:dr: it's good
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

MX7 wrote:@Emperoring - Thanks so much for reminding me about this game! Your description makes it sound so promising. Really hope it works on something I own...
Sure; I will say Chapter 2 starts to get more of a mood of horror (though not very scary per se), so things get better as the game goes on. The game's script is still utterly bizarre... Chapter 2's portly professor character muses that with "increased gender equality these days," it's not surprising to see women involved with men in a murderous psychopathic cult - he also bemoans the loss of his mother, who "would have beaten some sense" into said psychopathic murderers.

There are as I said lots of branching paths depending on what you do or do not do. Like Virtue's Last Reward, the game also lists the breakdown of the timelines and gives clues as to what you can do to activate them, which is a neat nod towards accessibility.

I can sadly say that my 5-year-old laptop is not strong enough to run the game competently. It kinda works, but the framerate is garbage. Fallout New Vegas runs perfectly fine on my computer (maybe just needing some lower settings), and I am having a hard time believing that this ultra budget title is more taxing than that. Given how many glitches and bugs were in the initial build (that have since been patched*), I would guess this game is super poorly-optimized.

*The steam version can be regularly updated. If you want the latest build from the DRM-free Playism store, you have to download the whole game again! :evil:
The workaround bypassing this cumbersome process is to take the Steam code available with the purchase, activate Night Cry, and to physically move your Playism NightCry folder into your steamapps/common folder, so it can automatically receive updates. It's dumb that that is the way to get the game to update DRM-free if you don't want the Steam version.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I played some HLD. I'm not sure what I think of it. It's a bit sparse, and slow paced. The music, while atmospheric, is kind of slumber inducing.
Squire Grooktook

I find the combat and exploration to be pretty fast paced. You'd be hard pressed to find a Metroid or Zelda game with a faster pace. Except maybe Ys: Oath in Felghana, but HLD has its own little corner thanks to its more creative and diverse combos and fun dash mechanic.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I find the combat and exploration to be pretty fast paced. You'd be hard pressed to find a Metroid or Zelda game with a faster pace. Except maybe Ys: Oath in Felghana, but HLD has its own little corner thanks to its more creative and diverse combos and fun dash mechanic.
got it last night and have already sunk 6 hours in. i've found the combat fast paced and i like that the protagonist lunges his sword into the ground after clearing a difficult room. speaking of the dash mechanic, i'm struggling with the chain dashing.
in the room (in town) my max chain is ~12.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'll get back to it. I just thought there weren't that many enemies about.
Squire Grooktook

How far did you play?

As early as the first "dungeon" there are quite a few rooms where you're forced to fight several waves of enemies before you can move on.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Racing Apex, combat racer with retro polygonized graphics is on Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... acing-apex

(don't panic, it supposedly still have non-combat and time attack modes according to the dev)
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Squire Grooktook wrote:How far did you play?

As early as the first "dungeon" there are quite a few rooms where you're forced to fight several waves of enemies before you can move on.

I couldn't tell you, honestly. I was having a hard time figuring out where to go, so I may just not have gotten to a proper dungeon.

I'll definitely give it another shot.